• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Standard Custom Moveset Project: Pit

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
There's a sticky in the duck hunt thread that said 8.

Tbh, I wouldn't mind using guiding bow (like in 3121) if it weren't for that darn endlag. How do I adapt?

extremelotus

Smash Cadet
So I was at evo today, got Top 128 with pit and made it out of pools yay (:. But! My main custom set up 3133 wasn't at evo? And they wouldn't let me use it. Is 3133 illegal :(?!?! If so then how?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
We, the collective Pit and Dark Pit forums, decided against any Fspecial or Uspecial customs because they're largely inferior to the defaults.

I mean... The whoosh on Breezy Flight doesn't do a ton. Probably it's best use is gimping, but we have safer options.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
We, the collective Pit and Dark Pit forums, decided against any Fspecial or Uspecial customs because they're largely inferior to the defaults.

I mean... The whoosh on Breezy Flight doesn't do a ton. Probably it's best use is gimping, but we have safer options.
That doesn't reslly explain why it should be banned....i mean, if someone wants to use it why not let them? Personally I like breezy flight too because it's faster and the windbox can mess up some recoveries better than orbitars.

Fujiwara

Smash Apprentice
That doesn't reslly explain why it should be banned....i mean, if someone wants to use it why not let them? Personally I like breezy flight too because it's faster and the windbox can mess up some recoveries better than orbitars.
I agree. And how could they ban the counter-arm? How is that "inferior" to other moves? Perhaps some people still don't get it with Pit.

notyourparadigm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
notyourparadigm
3DS FC
4098-3767-3581
I agree. And how could they ban the counter-arm? How is that "inferior" to other moves? Perhaps some people still don't get it with Pit.
Okay, so the idea isn't that they are 'banned' in the sense that they are illegal for tournament use, but they are 'banned' in the sense that it isn't one of the ten standard custom setups that can fit on the WiiU. Back when customs first came out, it was noted how much the custom process could slow down the already process between games at a tournament. For each character, four special moves that each have three possible choices, meaning 3*3*3*3 = 3^4 = 81 different combinations of custom moves. Per character. Only ten custom setups can be saved for a character at any time, so if all 81 combinations were to be 'legal', there was the possibility of needing another 2-3 minutes between each set to erase and set up a different custom configuration, having to erase a previous (potentially popular) custom set for a niche one that's only going to be used once. Compile that with nearly 2000 entrants at EVO, and that spelled a potential issue for TOs and maintaining a schedule with the already known to be slow Smash4 brackets.

In order to help avoid this, the Official Custom Move Set Project came here onto Smashboards and asked each forum to collectively decide upon the ten most likely custom setups for their character, which could then be pre-loaded onto the WiiU before the tournament and avoid even more extra time between matches. Luckily, many characters had one superior option for at least one of their custom specials, and so most of the ten options were based around one or two fundamental moves. Very niche sets, unfortunately, were lost in favour of more 'standard' setups with tweaks in one or two custom moves, and there was little love for most moves considered (by popular opinion) to be inferior to other options (i.e. Interception Arm, Breezy Flight). I hope this answered your question!

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Okay, so the idea isn't that they are 'banned' in the sense that they are illegal for tournament use, but they are 'banned' in the sense that it isn't one of the ten standard custom setups that can fit on the WiiU. Back when customs first came out, it was noted how much the custom process could slow down the already process between games at a tournament. For each character, four special moves that each have three possible choices, meaning 3*3*3*3 = 3^4 = 81 different combinations of custom moves. Per character. Only ten custom setups can be saved for a character at any time, so if all 81 combinations were to be 'legal', there was the possibility of needing another 2-3 minutes between each set to erase and set up a different custom configuration, having to erase a previous (potentially popular) custom set for a niche one that's only going to be used once. Compile that with nearly 2000 entrants at EVO, and that spelled a potential issue for TOs and maintaining a schedule with the already known to be slow Smash4 brackets.

In order to help avoid this, the Official Custom Move Set Project came here onto Smashboards and asked each forum to collectively decide upon the ten most likely custom setups for their character, which could then be pre-loaded onto the WiiU before the tournament and avoid even more extra time between matches. Luckily, many characters had one superior option for at least one of their custom specials, and so most of the ten options were based around one or two fundamental moves. Very niche sets, unfortunately, were lost in favour of more 'standard' setups with tweaks in one or two custom moves, and there was little love for most moves considered (by popular opinion) to be inferior to other options (i.e. Interception Arm, Breezy Flight). I hope this answered your question!
Ah I see, that makes sense, oh well, I honestly prefer normal pit the best anyway :p

extremelotus

Smash Cadet
I ended up using the default, but come on I was very comfortable with 3133 and I perfered it over any other set of customs. I felt like I would have gotten farther with it. I'm sorry guys I didn't know that smashboards would decide the custom set. I thought you could just go on and make your own customs. If I would have known that smashboards would decide the fate of character customs I would have went on here immediately and discuss 3133 with you guys. My fault

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Just jump and shoot at the same time. Since the aerial Nspecial ends sooner then a grounded one, using it in the air and regaining control before you land cuts back on endlag. About a quarter of a second or so with defaults, little less on Guiding Bows.

Speed Boost

Smash Apprentice
Surprised by the answers here. I thought this was gonna see a lot of 3112 and 3111. The only customs I use with DP are the Guiding Arrows and the Impact Orbitars. The custom arrows are amazing for setting up landing traps and harassing your opponents in the air.

Impact Orbitars are a nice landing and edguarding mixup. It's still a laggy move, but it seems more useful than the default which is almost never used.

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
Surprised by the answers here. I thought this was gonna see a lot of 3112 and 3111. The only customs I use with DP are the Guiding Arrows and the Impact Orbitars. The custom arrows are amazing for setting up landing traps and harassing your opponents in the air.

Impact Orbitars are a nice landing and edguarding mixup. It's still a laggy move, but it seems more useful than the default which is almost never used.
I started playing with the Impact Orbitars yesterday and was surprised by their onstage utility. They have surprisingly good range for catching someone dashing at you for a dash attack or dash grab. I noticed there's also a small bit of super armor when they come out. It's easy to get the armor against CPU Falcons who Down B at midrange almost 100% of the time. It almost works like a counter in that sense, bringing with it all the typical disadvantages of those types of moves. It does have a dead zone where DP's arms are, so you can't easily catch people trying to land on you with an aerial. I would absolutely still take Amplifying Orbitars for projectile zoners though, and that move can still save you on landing if you're not too predictable with it.

Speed Boost

Smash Apprentice
I started playing with the Impact Orbitars yesterday and was surprised by their onstage utility. They have surprisingly good range for catching someone dashing at you for a dash attack or dash grab. I noticed there's also a small bit of super armor when they come out. It's easy to get the armor against CPU Falcons who Down B at midrange almost 100% of the time. It almost works like a counter in that sense, bringing with it all the typical disadvantages of those types of moves. It does have a dead zone where DP's arms are, so you can't easily catch people trying to land on you with an aerial. I would absolutely still take Amplifying Orbitars for projectile zoners though, and that move can still save you on landing if you're not too predictable with it.
The Impact Orbitars are good offstage for catching recovery attempts and getting kills. I don't use customs that much, but I enjoy the 3112 set when I do. I adds alot of utility to Dark Pit. He is defiantly a better character with these moves.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
So... is Quickshot Arm good for anything besides getting back to the stage? Using it on the ground, I couldn't even make it through start-up without taking damage.
It's actually safe on shield if you use it in the air, but it's shield damage is poor and it's easy to see it coming a mile away. May have a niche against Rosalina because of Luma and Greninja because it reflects Water Shuruken, but nothing huge.

Top Bottom