• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[OFFICIAL] Stamina/Squad Strike Discussion

D

Deleted member

I'm not even sure if I'm even allowed to make official threads, but I propose we start discussing an official ruleset for Squad Strike that's tourney viable as a secondary/side format.

Here's the rules I've been messing around with:

-3v3
-Stamina
-200hp

optional:
-meters on
-hazzards off

Some rapid fire QA:

Why Stamina?
It's an underused mode that's a lot of fun, and fundamentally changes how the game is played. Knockback scalling is dramatically reduced in Stamina, but DI is still a thing. This means combos are more consistent, ballooning is no longer intrusive, and you still have a counterplay. Moreover, since it's HP based now, the meta of the game changes dramatically, shaking up tiers, and allowing for stages which were previously banned due to caves of life and walls (since ring out was your only KO option), to be competitively viable (at least seemingly). Stages with ceilings are now OK, and allow for a lot more gameplay variety in fact, as what ultimately matters is your remaining HP. I'll have to test this out further, but it also seems FSs are a lot more balanced in Stamina mode, which MIGHT make meters viable, though I'm not too sure, as you still can't punish them.

Why Squad Strike?
This mode is a lot of fun, and it allows for a lot more roster variety. Being forced into your next character will add a lot more strategy into your team picks, and once again, will shake up the matchups and tiers even more. Lower tier characters will get more of a spotlight, simply for being a good counter to one character on your opponent's team, and higher tier characters will be less dominant as it's dependant on their survivability, which is constrained to their HP. Plus, with a roster tgis large, having a format that forces people to be good with multiple characters is always good.

Anyway, let's talk about it, and see if we can agree on a standardized ruleset that can become an official side format for tourneys. I think Squad Strike and Stamina combined have a lot of potential, and the difference is as large as that of 2v2, while still being very competitively viable. Enough to merit a strong community push, at least imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I think Squad Strike is an amazing gamemode, but I generally avoid stamina matches unless if it's for a challenge.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Stamina is a fun diversion, but let's face it, it's not the point of Smash.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I've been experimenting with Stamina, and 200 HP seems like a little low, given how fast certain characters can rack up damage (especially with FS meter). However it feels good for the pace of Squad Strike, as you don't want to drag matches out too long (otherwise I'd be all about 5v5 format).

While I'm excited to see lots of side events in the future, I'm not entirely sure if stacking everything at once (Stamina/SS/FS meter, and even stuff like Stage Morph/Spirits allowed/3v3 and 4v4 via 8 player Smash) or just doing them individually at first, and easing our way in as we try things out.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I feel like the "Best Of" gamemode of Squad Strike is the best. Elimination and Tag Team are cool too, but best of gives you the most experience.

Top Bottom