• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

.:: Official Online Discussion ::.

Drascin

Smash Journeyman
Downloadable stages for the win. New battlegrounds are always neat.

In that vein, new characters too. The periodical readapting and remaking of tier lists would make for some good shaking to the tournament scene, as everyone tries to learn the techs of the newcomer either to use it or counter it.

Having trophies and stickers be interchangeable would be a boon to completists - lack that one single trophy to complete the full collection? Find someone willing to trade for it!

CronoMaster

Smash Apprentice
I was expecting this update a lot. i got dissapointed. first i read "with friend" and "with anyone else" and i tought "sweet jesus!!!" then i read the rest... and cmon, no ranking system, and u dont even get to know the other players names!!! do we even get to chose a "level"??? or are we going te be thrown into battles with noobs all day???

i know, it says there are still more online modes to come, so that kinds of gives hope... but after reading this: "Your opponent will not know your name or any information about you, and neither of you can send short messages. There will also be no battle records kept for this mode, so whether you win or lose, it doesn’t matter. Just sit back and play." is hard to believe that they will do something about it

if i wanna play with my friends, i can go to their houses, no wifi needed, if i wanna play with noobs i can play with my cousins, no wifi needed. if i wanna play with competitive smashers, i need wifi to find them, but now i know i wont even know their names, if i wanna know how good i am compared to the rest of the world i need an online ranking system, now i know i wont have it

some people are already making suggestions as using the friend codes to fight with good smashers, but the point is that this shouldnt be happening, the game shouldve had a great wifi mode, and it seems it wont be anywhere near that

and dont start throwing sh*t at me, cause were not talking about any company or any crappy game, this is nintendo and this is brawl, they can do waaaay better and u all know that

Revven

FrankerZ
I think I have an idea of what they could have.

Downloadable new content is an obvious one. If they want this Smash to last even longer than Melee did they may as well add new stages and more new characters as time goes on, even fix characters that need to be fixed (like if they're broken or if their hitboxes are ridiculous). Pretty much an obvious one, if they don't do it, it's a real missed opportunity.

Homerun Contest Multiplayer Online. Since you're already allowed to practice before a match (against the Sandbag) this kind of hints at this mode returning in a new flavor. Challenge your friends to who can hit Sandbag the farthest! This would be a great online mode, IMO. It would allow competitive players in Homerun Contests to go up against others who are also very comptetitive in this area. Plus, it'd be fun!

Target Test Multiplayer Online. It would either work like this: "Smash all the targets before your opponent!" (Selecting the target test stage, it can be anyone's) Or "Finish the target test before your opponent's time!" (You'd do it first and then your opponent either has to beat that time or if they don't, fail it and then they go first for the next one). It might not be the best mode, but, I've seen a LOT of videos with people trying to beat the BtT records and I think this too would be another great competitive mode for online.

Tournament Mode. Obviously, there will be online tournaments, be it a mode or made up by us.

Multi-Man Brawl Online. Basically, defeat as many Primids as you can and beat your opponent by getting more than him/her. Seems simple, no? Well, you can choose which one between 3 minute, 15 minute, 10 KOs (first to 10), 100 KOs (first to 100), Endless (until you both die, sort of like get the most before you die), and Cruel (works the same way as Endless). I think this too could be a great mode for online, you could even decide to work together for it instead of competing (probably one of the options for it).

Adventure/Single Player Mode Online. Co-op online? Sounds delicious to me! Especially, for Single Player Classic, Adventure, or All-Star (if it's still in the next one). Tackle Very Hard with a teammate!

What other modes could there be? Am I forgetting anything else? Board the Platforms would be another nice mode for online if it is making a comeback. Oh and Event Matches would make for some interesting online co-op or even just for fun.

All in all, there's probably even more new modes we don't know about yet that'll be apart of this online. From my guesses, I'd say, about most of what I said will be online. Who doesn't want to play Homerun Contest online? Oh I also thought of another! Y'know those portions in Adventure Mode where you had to run to the finish? Why not make that a new mode? It could also be online where you'd race your friends to the finish! Haha that'd be sweet.

Well, those are my ideas...or what I think Sakurai might do.

Lightningmage

Smash Journeyman
Online tourneys would be pure awesome, assuming lag and an online chat room were used. Personally, Wi-fi will be practice and when I want to play someone good, I'll get on SWF and find someone.

Also, it would be extremely better to find someone if SWF had their own mIRC channel. Like Serebii.net has, you can find trades/battles almost all the time there. A similar concept here would be pwn.

Edit:lol, me and Falco400 posted at the same time. Also, race to the finish may not be the best idea. It is, but then you'd just have everyone picking the top 3 fastest characters, cause Bowser ain't winning that. Unless you make special power-ups for characters, then it turns into something a lot different. Super Smash Bros. Kart >.>

Revven

FrankerZ
Edit:lol, me and Falco400 posted at the same time. Also, race to the finish may not be the best idea. It is, but then you'd just have everyone picking the top 3 fastest characters, cause Bowser ain't winning that. Unless you make special power-ups for characters, then it turns into something a lot different. Super Smash Bros. Kart >.>
Mm... didn't think about that. Slower characters would have the disadvantage... it'd probably be better off as a Single Player mode at that point then (with everyone having their own thing to run through similar to BtT and BtP). Though, if they made the items have a different side effect just for the purpose of that (Multiplayer races) then it'd probably work better. But, I see your point, though the other modes for online would work definitely. =P

zKillah

Smash Journeyman
Well, MP: Corruption has a screen capture/share feature, so I can see that happening here. If camera mode makes it back, we'll likely be able to share pictures with out friends. Even better would be the ability to share video like Halo 3. And, probably the most likely, is the ability to share stickers, trophies, and other collectibles over WiFi.

I'm not so sure we'll be seeing downloadable content, but it would be a good way to promote the seldom-used WiiConnect24 feature. It'd be cool to wake up one morning to find your Wii has just downloaded a new map for Smash. But, with the limited storage space available on the Wii right now, I'm not sure how feasible this is.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Sakurai revealed at the end of the wifi update that there will be furture workings for smash using wifi. This opens up a beacon of hope for those who were depressed about it. DISCUSS YOUR IDEAS HERE! Online Co-op single player? Ranking systems? Online special brawl?
Picture/video sharing? downloadable content?
STICKER TRADING!!!! (sarcasm)

The Director

Smash Lord
Come on downloadable demo!

I mean come on! How hard would it be to make the only level available Battlefield, with only the starting lineup characters? Not gonna happen though, but I can hope.

Rodriguezjr

Smash Apprentice
i personally think the lack of a ranking system is a good thing. in games like halo and splintercell you always play with people about your own level. and you never end up playing with people alot better than you, so you dont get to see people alot better than you play and learn from them.

Also, with a ranking system people end up all playing the same way, like with splinter cell. me and my friends used to system link it all the time, and we all developed our own style. but when we got xbox live everyone played agro spy, and everyone merc'd the same. and the way it turned out we had to play exactly like they did to win. and i dont want to do that to smash bros. one of my favorite things about smash bros is that everyone has there own personal style, and online play seems to diminish that.
I agree, also, this does puts the disconnecting rate down a bit. Since there is no reason to disconnect during online matches at all since no wins or loses are counted.

Footos454

Smash Cadet
online = awesome

i just hope that sakurai puts in some special bonuses or trophies of some sort for playing a lot of online matches, like "you've played 50 online matches" or "you've never been beaten by your friends" or something along those lines. and maybe a Nintendo Wifi trophy XD.

lex.aut

Smash Apprentice
online = awesome

i just hope that sakurai puts in some special bonuses or trophies of some sort for playing a lot of online matches, like "you've played 50 online matches" or "you've never been beaten by your friends" or something along those lines. and maybe a Nintendo Wifi trophy XD.
naw, that would be unfair for those who aren't able to play online.

@ topic:
now i'm more keen on the game than ever before. when i think back to december 2006 where i was hoping for a soon release i realize that there's not much time left till we finally get to play SSBB.
3,5 moths till onlinesmashing ^_~

some_jerk

Smash Apprentice
Woot! Online has been confirmed, and I'm as giddy as a 5-year old with too much sugar in his system!

Wonder if it's possible to choose between local and international...

Mike05

Smash Cadet
AttackstorM said:
"unlocking
I think whover hosts should be able to select the stage he unlocked or character he unlocked and if he plays a person that hasnt unlocked the stage yet that person should be able to see the hosts character or stage for the duration of time he plays against the host...but when that host disconects the characters and stages not unlocked still will not be available until the person finds another host or unlocks them himself."

I think that this would work.

brandutt845

Smash Apprentice
I was expecting this update a lot. i got dissapointed. first i read "with friend" and "with anyone else" and i tought "sweet jesus!!!" then i read the rest... and cmon, no ranking system, and u dont even get to know the other players names!!! do we even get to chose a "level"??? or are we going te be thrown into battles with noobs all day???

i know, it says there are still more online modes to come, so that kinds of gives hope... but after reading this: "Your opponent will not know your name or any information about you, and neither of you can send short messages. There will also be no battle records kept for this mode, so whether you win or lose, it doesn’t matter. Just sit back and play." is hard to believe that they will do something about it

if i wanna play with my friends, i can go to their houses, no wifi needed, if i wanna play with noobs i can play with my cousins, no wifi needed. if i wanna play with competitive smashers, i need wifi to find them, but now i know i wont even know their names, if i wanna know how good i am compared to the rest of the world i need an online ranking system, now i know i wont have it

some people are already making suggestions as using the friend codes to fight with good smashers, but the point is that this shouldnt be happening, the game shouldve had a great wifi mode, and it seems it wont be anywhere near that

and dont start throwing sh*t at me, cause were not talking about any company or any crappy game, this is nintendo and this is brawl, they can do waaaay better and u all know that
When you started ranting about it, It sounded like that sentence about hope went away.

I dont get the problem. MKDS was the same way. It was the best in DS Wifi. Playing this online will be awesome, and you didnt even suggest a service for Wifi.

greenblob

Smash Lord
I have a feeling that random matches won't be customizable and all be 4-way FFAs with items. I propose that we petition for more customization for random matches, at least for an option for 1v1s.

kma23

Smash Apprentice
Downloadable stages/characters?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Also, ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
I've had that idea for months every time I posted about it it got shot down :(

finnally someone with a brain like mine :) :chuckle:

DrGrimReaper

Smash Apprentice
Thinkin' about what someone said earlier in this thread concerning the stupidity that is other wise known as online-anonymity I realized that it would be so easy to over come this barrier.

-->Simply set one of your chat messages on the d-pad to say, "Hi I'm ______ AIM--> _______" or some variation thereof.

vgg. :-)

tirkaro

Smash Champion
well for one:
online minigames: I suppose online competitive versions of race to the finish and break the targets would be cool. especially if you can customize them, and share them with friends.

downloadable content: every time you say downloadable content wouldn't be awesome, a puppy dies. downloadable characters and downloadable stages would be beyond awesome. that would only add more to brawls replayability, and if freakin' PSP games can have it, I dont see why not brawl.

screenshot sharing: if camera mode returns, you should be able to store those photos in an album, along with sticker screenshots. you should be able to share this album somehow. brawl shouldn't feature such an incredibly useless feature for nothing XP

brandutt845

Smash Apprentice
Thinkin' about what someone said earlier in this thread concerning the stupidity that is other wise known as online-anonymity I realized that it would be so easy to over come this barrier.

-->Simply set one of your chat messages on the d-pad to say, "Hi I'm ______ AIM--> _______" or some variation thereof.

WOW! AWESOME IDEA!

nuro

Smash Lord
There's two reasons behind that lag they had been experiencing.

1) Server traffic. This week was PACKED with people all on the servers at the same time playing against people at the same time. Even if you had a good connection (and even if your opponent had a good connection) you always experienced some lag (maybe even a ton). This is because of the server traffic, it constantly updating the ranks of new owners of the game.

I imagine this'll happen to Brawl too in the first week if it is online (I'm sure it will be).

2) The opponent has a bad connection but you didn't wait to check if the stars would go down. That's the only other explaination as well. Some players appear to have a good connection but until you start playing you realize they really don't. And you want to DC but you can't because you'd lose points and go down ranks (AND gain a loss).

Beyond those two though, that's all that was about for lag in Strikers. I've been playing it today and yesterday with no more problems of lag (only times I've experienced it was just slight lag and the lag we had with the server traffic).

The same will happen to Brawl no matter what. So, expect lag the very first week of its release and wait until there's no lag and play it when the server traffic has gone down.
i didnt see this before but the wii console can still act as a hoster.
in many games a host sends packets of data to other wiis
im not sure what they plan on. i think having a wii as host is best for people who live close but worse for the opposite.

besides smash is a much more technical game
even the smallest frame of lag can ruin someones game. its not as simple as strikers or fps online games

zKillah

Smash Journeyman

That would be cool if you could display messages to people that weren't on your friends list. But, random matches against anyone disable the four taunt/message system. That would kinda defeat Nintendo's goal of creating a completely safe and cuddly online environment for all the kiddies out there.

Saph66

Smash Journeyman
I think this is how its going to work, the same way Warcraft 3 The Frozen Throne works, if anyone here has played it.

You choose your wifi play, then your character, and you have options for items to be on/off and also the stages that you want on/off. After that, wifi should find someone of similar skill to yourself if they have that option, if not then just anyone.

This is good, because if people havn't unlocked characters in their own roster, they can't choose them, or unlock them by just seeing oponent choose, so its pretty random and surprising. With the stage/item thing, to find an opponent, your options has to be similar, ex. like both people have pokemon stadium turned off etc and other stuff may face each other.

Just my part on what I think, it works.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Online Play isn't #1 Wifi option!

If you look at the top, you can see the two bars. From what we've seen on the past menus, this indicates how far into the menu you are. According to this, you are two menus into the Nintendo WFC section. That means there WILL be other online features asides from online play, since there is a menu for different Wi-Fi features. Did you notice this? Any new ideas from this?

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
Sakurai did say they're doing more wifi modes in the update. So likely those will be found in this new menu.

Top Bottom