• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Nintendo Melee HD remake?

punch

Smash Cadet
Is it completely out of the question for Nintendo to re-release Melee in full HD on the Wii U?

Consider this...

Nintendo re-released The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker in HD, a game that sold 3.07 million copies on the Gamecube.

Super Smash Bros. Melee sold 7.09 million copies, more than doubling the sales of Wind Waker.

The numbers certainly add up. What do you guys think? Should Nintendo re-release Melee in HD? but more importantly... how likely are they to?

punch

Smash Cadet
I'm not particularly sure Nintendo is proud of Melee, just look at how drastically different Brawl is.Nintendo deliberately strayed away from Melee... and as a result I doubt Brawl will have the longevity that Melee did.I mean, look at Project M. That was the community giving the finger to Nintendo. Lol. We had to make our own game.

I'm not particularly sure Nintendo Sakurai is proud of Melee, just look at how drastically different Brawl is.Nintendo Sakurai deliberately strayed away from Melee
I'm pretty sure it's mostly just Sakurai

Bones0

Smash Legend
I'm pretty sure Sakurai has said he is MOST proud of Melee though. It mostly seems like a conflict because they perceive Melee HD as a threat to Smash 4 sales. I wouldn't be surprised if they released it, but I'd expect it further down the line after they feel they've exhausted potential Smash 4 customers.

punch

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty sure it's mostly just Sakurai
Does Nintendo finally embrace us now? I feel like their "For Glory" mode was a step in the right direction.

I'm pretty sure Sakurai has said he is MOST proud of Melee though. It mostly seems like a conflict because they perceive Melee HD as a threat to Smash 4 sales. I wouldn't be surprised if they released it, but I'd expect it further down the line after they feel they've exhausted potential Smash 4 customers.
That would be bad. Prolonging it would hurt the sales. I don't think Melee is going to grow in popularity anymore. It can only die down IMO. I say release next year or 2016 max.

donpedrox

Smash Rookie
NNID
DonPedrox
If there is an HD remake it wont be on the Wii U. Historically we've only had one smash game for each home console, and to release it for the Wii U would threaten Smash 4 sales and install base. I feel like if they do it would be on the next home console.

BareHand

Smash Rookie
This would be awesome with some possible stage additions! Why not?

Mystic-

Smash Apprentice
Does Nintendo finally embrace us now? I feel like their "For Glory" mode was a step in the right direction.

That would be bad. Prolonging it would hurt the sales. I don't think Melee is going to grow in popularity anymore. It can only die down IMO. I say release next year or 2016 max.
Melee is growing faster than ever. Plus Smash 4 is way more important in terms of preserving sales. They likely don't want to cannibalize their own sales.

It probably won't and even if it did the chances of it not being "fixed" (in people who don't play the game's eyes) nor having no technical difficulties (some input lag or other issue however small) is incredibly small. If they did remake it and remade it well it would be amazing. Especially if they allowed us to choose PAL or NTSC versions in the game itself. Having PAL melee widely available would be incredible (although rip Marth dair...) even if it didn't become the tourney standard that it probably should be.

XxSmashM4sterxX

Smash Cadet
The casual audience will most likely view the game as an inferior Smash 4 though
I'm okay with this because it means less 12 year olds who think they're "le epic troll of the year" or some **** to ruin the community. Casuals aren't people, anyways.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
I'm okay with this because it means less 12 year olds who think they're "le epic troll of the year" or some **** to ruin the community. Casuals aren't people, anyways.
Right but the issue is that Nintendo is marketing to casuals because there are much more of them. Melee HD is mostly appealing to the competitive scene, and although we are growing it's just not enough to justify it for Nintendo

Last edited:

Mastodon

Smash Apprentice
Right but the issue is that Nintendo is marketing to casuals because there are many, many more of them. Melee HD is mostly appealing to the competitive scene, and although we are growing it's just not enough to justify it for Nintendo
not necessarily. I know there's a crowd out there that just likes the nostalgia of the older smash games, and older games in general for similar reasons. I bring my set up to my local game store pretty often, and I meet a ton of people who see melee and they want to play it just because its melee, and they like to play smash...not because they want to go to tournaments and compete.

The problem with this is, however, this crowd of people is much less inclined to pay money for an older smash game when most of this group of people feel that smash 4 is basically just an updated version, and if they've already paid for smash 4 or were considering buying a smash game, why would they pay for melee? Its not like a zelda game where the game itself is actually a completely different game. Through our eyes, melee is extremely unique (and it is, in fact, extremely unique), but to everyone else, its just another smash game and therefore I actually think its unlikely we'll see nintendo do a remake like they did with the windwaker or the other zelda games because its more profitable for them to just make new smash games.

...so yeah, basically what you said previously: the casual crowd views melee as an inferior version of smash 4: its got less characters, less stages, less features, no online play, etc.

Regardless, I pray to the melee gods every day for nintendo to re-release melee in HD, or something similar.

Last edited:

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Now on the other hand if Melee HD came out for the WiiU I would buy a WiiU and likely other games for it. So that's another factor for Nintendo to consider

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Nintendo hates everything to do with melee for whatever reason. I don't think they are ever going to re-release it.

Melee encourages high level skill interaction, something that Nintendo tries to veer away from in favor of good immersion, simple but fun easy to play games.

Basically casuals ruin everything.

Happens2u

Writing Team
As much as I love melee, I think what we need is not melee HD, but some sort of switch in the next smash game that changes the physics and hitstun mechanics to match each game. That way we get the new characters, stages, music, etc. If not that, there needs to be a 64 remake first, then melee, then brawl.

hi im dennis

Smash Apprentice
I could be completely wrong about this but I only think nintendo sponsors melee to make money, other wise they really don't like it being a big competitive game. I don't think that they want to release it because it would get more popular. If they had their way, melee would die and smash 4 would get bigger.

Last edited:

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I could be completely wrong about this but I only think nintendo sponsors melee to make money, other wise they really don't like it being a big competitive game. I don't think that they want to release it because it would get more popular. If they had their way, melee would die and smash 4 would get bigger.
Right on the money (pun intended)

Nintendo, since releasing the Wii console with their stupid marketing program about old people and casuals being the focus (wii sports, easy games, etc) has become the ****tiest video game company on the planet. They only care about money, and have no respect or love for people that legitimately enjoy their games

SNES / N64 games didn't hold your hand NEARLY as much as everything they've released since. And they were challenging enough that people still compete to speed run them to this day.

It's seriously annoying. The games that my kids are playing on Wii U are just dumbed down versions of games I played on SNES as a kid, with better graphics. I'm doing my best to get them to play real nintendo games like link to the past, ocarina of time, dk country 2, etc... but it's a struggle. Kids just want to play the newest games and who can blame em.

Sigh... I'm lucky to have grown up in the golden age of gaming & Jrpgs... when I was a kid at christmas I got Link to the past, Chrono Trigger, Final fantasy VI, countless amazing games that are 10 000 times better than whatever b.s is on the WII U console nowadays.

Nintendo sucks now :(

hi im dennis

Smash Apprentice
Right on the money (pun intended)

Nintendo, since releasing the Wii console with their stupid marketing program about old people and casuals being the focus (wii sports, easy games, etc) has become the ****tiest video game company on the planet. They only care about money, and have no respect or love for people that legitimately enjoy their games

SNES / N64 games didn't hold your hand NEARLY as much as everything they've released since. And they were challenging enough that people still compete to speed run them to this day.

It's seriously annoying. The games that my kids are playing on Wii U are just dumbed down versions of games I played on SNES as a kid, with better graphics. I'm doing my best to get them to play real nintendo games like link to the past, ocarina of time, dk country 2, etc... but it's a struggle. Kids just want to play the newest games and who can blame em.

Sigh... I'm lucky to have grown up in the golden age of gaming & Jrpgs... when I was a kid at christmas I got Link to the past, Chrono Trigger, Final fantasy VI, countless amazing games that are 10 000 times better than whatever b.s is on the WII U console nowadays.

Nintendo sucks now :(
I don't think nintendo sucks I just hate when they release games like ****ing mario tennis that they probably spent like 2 weeks making and only released for money and this new animal crossing bull**** that has like a 50% on metacritic

1MachGO

Smash Ace
Nintendo doesn't suck but the "jig is up" so to speak.

They've been releasing the same Mario and Pokemon games for the past 10+ years as far as I'm concerned. People just look at the past in rose tinted glasses and mistake graphical leaps as changes to the formula. I bet if you tallied up the number of innovations in the call of duty or madden franchise and compared it to ****ing Super Mario Bros you'd probably find they are eerily similar in ratio. Only difference is the business model.

As far as I'm concerned, the GameCube was the last time they really tried to change things up for their franchises. Doubledash, windwaker, sunshine, Melee, StarFox Adventures, etc are all really distinct. The Wii was a turn for casualization in gaming and they've been playing it safe since. Pretty much all of their games are side scrollers (Super Paper Mario, DKC:R, Metroid:other M) or are so linear they might as well be side scrollers (Mario Galaxy). The new Zelda looks like they are stepping into modern times but Star Fox Zero is gonna be another tribute to the 64 days like Twilight Princess was to Ocarina of Time. They just don't take risks anymore

Rodrick Strickland

Smash Rookie
Melee HD will most likely never happen. However, a VC release is a very cool idea.

Smash 64: :ness64:|:mario64::falcon64:
Melee::falconmelee::marthmelee:|:drmario::linkmelee:
Brawl::sheik:|:fox::snake:
PM::link2::ness2:|:samus2::falco:
Smash Wii u::4peach:|:4cloud::4ryu::4feroy:

Last edited:

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Well if someone takes over sakurais job (m2k)there would probably be a HD remake

wiiqwertyuiop

Smash Cadet
They really don't even need to do a HD remake, the graphics and everything could stay the same and all they would need to do is make a good working port with gamecube controller support and put it up on the wii u/nx shop, and it would be good enough. (HD remake would be better though but Nintendo won't ever probably)

I don't think nintendo sucks I just hate when they release games like ****ing mario tennis that they probably spent like 2 weeks making and only released for money and this new animal crossing bull**** that has like a 50% on metacritic
Mario Tennis came out of no where for me, I didn't even know they were making that game until it was almost released. But I am surprised they even made another one of those games, do people even like it enough to where it is warranted? I love Animal Crossing though (Gamecube one is sooooo good) and even I am stumped as to what the point of this new game is supposed to be.

thf24

Smash Cadet
The biggest fear I have about a remake is that if they "fixed" everything in Melee that would be considered a bug and patched within a few weeks in new games today, it wouldn't be Melee anymore. Worst case we'd just keep playing the old Melee, but a remake would be useless to us.

Modesty

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
ALIC#155
The biggest fear I have about a remake is that if they "fixed" everything in Melee that would be considered a bug and patched within a few weeks in new games today, it wouldn't be Melee anymore. Worst case we'd just keep playing the old Melee, but a remake would be useless to us.
That already happened, it was called Brawl.

Diosama

Stand User
As much as I'd love this, I don't see it happening. Melee may have sold over 7 million copies, but not all consumers still play it. Melee's a game for a hardcore community, and as big as we may seem, we aren't big enough to warrant it. You have to ask yourself how many competitive Melee players there are currently, that's how may copies Melee HD would likely sell.

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman
I would like to see a remastered version of Melee with everything the original had+ new modes that other fighting games have. A Color editor and team battle. (Not as in doubles. More like crew battles, where you pick multiple characters. Think Soul Calibur II)

Last edited:

Swampertrulz

Smash Lord
NNID
Swampertrulz
3DS FC
3883-9003-2472
A remastered version would be great. Though, they should probably do it when the Smash 4 DLC is over everything is released.

Dat Aint Falco

Smash Cadet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC3DofH1h7Q&feature=youtu.be Someone made a redesign of Melee's UI but I don't think it's available for download.
What exactly does a Melee remake entail? Can't Project M be considered an HD remake of Melee? Nintendo's no fun, other than the risk of them flat out shutting it down, couldn't the community just make Melee HD? I bet if you got the guys who made PM and the team that makes 20XX together they could make a pretty awesome mod of Sm4sh and call it Melee HD.

Requirements for modding Sm4sh to be like Melee:
- Remove characters and stages that don't fit well with Melee's style of play.
- Add characters and stages that do fit well
- Either rebrand Sm4sh's UI to look like melee's or redesign it completely (like in the linked video)
- New single player gamemodes (campaign event matches, etc)
- Tournament support
- Training support
- Change Sm4sh's gameplay to be completely like Melee's.
- online play
- Anything else I'm missing?

TheNero

Smash Rookie
Most likely they are not going to make a HD remake of Melee. Why do you think they added tripping in brawl? And also, sakurai said himself that he wanted it to be a fun party game and not a hard-core fighter.

Last edited:

Coze

20YY Cultist
Even if there was a HD remake I have a feeling they'd want to change too many things for it to be the same game. They'd patch the characters, remove wavedashing and stuff. "Bug fix."

But I have a feeling they'll release it the same day Vanilla WoW servers and Half Life 3 are released.

Rpggames77

Smash Journeyman
short answer no, long answer is that most of melee's great mechanics were do to the rush sakurai and the team were to release melee, so if they hd it they would have time to "fix" the mechanics, also a down size in roster would only appeal to melee fans

Maza Nomains

Smash Rookie
We already got an updated Melee, it was called Project M, and Nintendo killed it immediately.

FalcoSBM1990

Smash Cadet
Well, this topic was made in 2014 and many things have changed, however it was mentioned that Nintendo will bring out Smash Bross Melee HD on Nintendo Switch, the gaming background already took a different influence which became more serious and competitively with the time, we have the upcoming Olympics 2022 where the competitive gaming will be presented at a national representative scale, with this, the gaming will gain a stronger recognition as a competitive sports, the only thing I can say, is that Smash Bross Melee is the only viable game with the potential of representing Nintendo in the competitive scene, now if Sakurai refuses this chance, it would be a bad marketing on Nintendo, therefore, I think that Sakurai already recognized that Melee is their last hope.

Last edited:
Top Bottom