• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Melee Texture Hack Thread

NS23

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SLOK#533
Do anybody still have access to the Marth - Empire Arcadia Skin?

The Dropbox download-link doesn't seem to work anymore.
Sorry it took so long. There was no file on the internet, I had to find it in an old 20XX build (thank God Achilles backed up all the old builds) .
It's attached here, as well as in the main Google Drive folder (along with a CSP!)
Enjoy!!

Last edited:

Slappyslo

Smash Rookie
Sorry it took so long. There was no file on the internet, I had to find it in an old 20XX build (thank God Achilles backed up all the old builds) .
It's attached here, as well as in the main Google Drive folder (along with a CSP!)
Enjoy!!
Omg, Thank you so much!

Hey guys, I changed the Empire Arcadia-Skin a bit by making the cape and hair darker and removing the Empire Arcadia-logos from both the cape and wrist-straps. Thought I would share it if anyone else wanted to try it.

The original Creator of this skin is Anutim.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/8hzp3...pire_Arcadia_by_Anutim_%28changed%29.dat/file

Beshido

Smash Rookie
Someone has the shine skin from Mang0's stream ? cause it's dope and I can't find it anywhere.

oscat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlnklngmars
3DS FC
0318-9801-6641

flammablelion

Smash Rookie
Is anyone able to do a commission for a character texture? Willing to venmo or paypal a couple of bucks! The design should be relatively easy!

NS23

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SLOK#533
Someone has the shine skin from Mang0's stream ? cause it's dope and I can't find it anywhere.
I'm pretty sure he got them from Lucky. If so, Lucky has a subscriber only Discord where he shares all his textures. I don't think the files have been made public anywhere, and I think Lucky wants to keep it that way. So you can sub to him, or maybe hope for a gift sub. Sorry I couldn't be too helpful.

Beshido

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty sure he got them from Lucky. If so, Lucky has a subscriber only Discord where he shares all his textures. I don't think the files have been made public anywhere, and I think Lucky wants to keep it that way. So you can sub to him, or maybe hope for a gift sub. Sorry I couldn't be too helpful.
will see there, thanks dude

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
Are the effects and animations just blacked out or are they removed entirely? I wonder if this would improve performance, especially for mobile and low end computers.
It's a combination. All the backgrounds are black canvases. Some elements can be made invisable, like you see on FoD, alot of the known elements are simply not there, visually.
Sometmes when I make a texture invisible, it will still have the physical element visible underneath it. That's when I make the texture black. To make it blend in with the background. The FoD towers are examples of this.
The reason I don't make the whole tower invisible/black is because certain elements (rings) doesn't have textures associated with them at all.
Im fairly new and inexperienced to texture modding, so it often takes a while to experiment and find the solution I want.

As far as performance goes, I have no idea if my stages would do any better. I doubt it.

will see there, thanks dude
Can you describe the skin? A bit further up in the thread, a hero uploaded a great deal of skins to a new server. You could go shopping there.
I suspect it might be a light rainbow shine with the trans rights colors. That's the prettiest one I know of.
This one?
ssbmagShine-1581284978.55623.png

If that's the case you should look for the SSBMag Shine

Last edited:

Beshido

Smash Rookie
Can you describe the skin? A bit further up in the thread, a hero uploaded a great deal of skins to a new server. You could go shopping there.
I suspect it might be a light rainbow shine with the trans rights colors. That's the prettiest one I know of.
This one? View attachment 282169
IT'S THIS ONE, thanks dude

spamitburns

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
burn#535
It's a combination. All the backgrounds are black canvases. Some elements can be made invisable, like you see on FoD, alot of the known elements are simply not there, visually.
Sometmes when I make a texture invisible, it will still have the physical element visible underneath it. That's when I make the texture black. To make it blend in with the background. The FoD towers are examples of this.
The reason I don't make the whole tower invisible/black is because certain elements (rings) doesn't have textures associated with them at all.
Im fairly new and inexperienced to texture modding, so it often takes a while to experiment and find the solution I want.

As far as performance goes, I have no idea if my stages would do any better. I doubt it.

This one? View attachment 282169
Really like the minimalist look of these, good job
Just wondering for the objects where setting the visibility to zero doesn't work, if you've tried Disabling Polygon Rendering? (Assuming you're using DAT Texture Wizard)

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
Really like the minimalist look of these, good job
Just wondering for the objects where setting the visibility to zero doesn't work, if you've tried Disabling Polygon Rendering? (Assuming you're using DAT Texture Wizard)
Im not sure how to go about that. I'll look for that feature. Sounds amazing
And thanks for the compliment. I appreciate that!

EDIT: And this is a callout to any experienced modders. Can someone help me out making all visual artifacts in the backgrounds on the legal stages (such as little stars on Battlefield) either invisible or black?

Last edited:

spamitburns

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
burn#535
Im not sure how to go about that. I'll look for that feature. Sounds amazing
And thanks for the compliment. I appreciate that!

EDIT: And this is a callout to any experienced modders. Can someone help me out making all visual artifacts in the backgrounds on the legal stages (such as little stars on Battlefield) either invisible or black?
Disbling Polygon Randering is super easy with DAT, just open Dat and open your Melee ISO

Select 'Fountain of Dreams [Izumi]' and click 'Browse Textures'
Screenshot (51) by spamitburns, on Flickr

Select the texture your want to be made invisible, click 'Model' and tick 'Disable Polygon (Display List) Rendering'.
Screenshot (54) by spamitburns, on Flickr

Save to apply changes and the texture should effectively be invisible
Screenshot (63) by spamitburns, on Flickr

Last edited:

spamitburns

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
burn#535
no way! thank you so much!
You just made my life so much easier

Do you know how to make the rings in the air here (part of the tower) and the rest of the grail, as well as the stars in the air all go away?
View attachment 282346

also: sneak peak of minimal yoshi's
View attachment 282357
Unfortunately I can't find any textures that corrospond to any of the things you listed (I checked all the stage files, tested a couple textures)

Not sure where to go from there lol, unless someone else can help, I guess just try to incorporate those elements into your minimal FoD. They kind of blend in since they likely are block colors.
also minimal Yoshi's looks cool

Last edited:

oscat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlnklngmars
3DS FC
0318-9801-6641
no way! thank you so much!
You just made my life so much easier

Do you know how to make the rings in the air here (part of the tower) and the rest of the grail, as well as the stars in the air all go away?
View attachment 282346

also: sneak peak of minimal yoshi's
View attachment 282357
There's a program called hsdraw that might have what you're looking for. Here's a good place to start: https://smashboards.com/threads/tdrrs-ezpz-guide-to-stage-imports-upd-17-07-2020.506145/

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
DRGN DRGN does that include the tower rings on FoD?
FD color?
Battlefield main line color? etc

Last edited:

Michael Ashby

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
GIN#752
FD color?
It doesn't include the FoD ring. I'm pretty sure that has no texture, and just uses a coded color. I would have to dig through some old messages to find the exact place that is though.

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
FD color?
You could try the "Disable Joint Rendering" feature on certain objects, which will hide entire model groups.

If that hides too much and you want to get finer control, you'll probably want to look into the Structural Analysis tab. You can hone in on certain objects by right-clicking on a texture relating to it and going to 'Show in Structural Analysis':
1597533018464.png

You should see one or more file structures highlighted (the actual blocks of image data), attached to other structures. Each of the Display Objects you see are different parts of models. If you expand some of the other display objects, you'll see other textures attached to them. However, not all of them will have textures attached; they'll just have a Material Object with Material Colors (like the Display Object at 0xECAB8, shown below). The tower rings you're looking for are probably one like this (maybe not this specific one; this is just an example. but it might be it). You can disable the rendering of these by going to the Display Object's "Polygon Object", and changing its "Display List Length" to 0.

1597534614124.png

This is the basis of how the Disable Polygon Rendering feature works.

I'm not sure what you mean by FD color or Battlefield main line color. If you mean the orange lines around the platforms, I'm not sure. You might try looking for Display Objects, as seen above, but with orange in the Material Colors struct.

Gurekam

Smash Rookie
Working on making a texture

Pretty obvious as to what it is, but when I import it into game with dat it looks ****y.
(This is a screenshot of dat, but the colors "bleed" like this in game too.)

Any solutions?

Pretty obvious as to what it is, but when I import it into game with dat it looks ****y.

Any solutions?
Picture of it in game looking ****y

Michael Ashby

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
GIN#752

Any solutions?
Try using a less pixelated cloud graphic like the one below:
T_CHR_Man_Coat_BC.png

NS23

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SLOK#533
I need to downscale that to fit on a 64x64 image, so it wouldn't matter in the end.
I had the same problem with the "buckle" on Falcon's belt. The only solution I found to work is to find an image that itself is smaller. I've heard the Photoshop has a tool that downscales images without distorting them, but I only have GIMP so can't vouch for that.

On an unrelated note:
REQUEST
I was thinking that Kenny from South Park Ice Climbers would look hilarious. I've never done any ICs skins so I figured I'd throw the idea out there and see if anyone is interested (I also might just give it a shot and see how it turns out). :)

spamitburns

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
burn#535
I had the same problem with the "buckle" on Falcon's belt. The only solution I found to work is to find an image that itself is smaller. I've heard the Photoshop has a tool that downscales images without distorting them, but I only have GIMP so can't vouch for that.

On an unrelated note:
REQUEST
I was thinking that Kenny from South Park Ice Climbers would look hilarious. I've never done any ICs skins so I figured I'd throw the idea out there and see if anyone is interested (I also might just give it a shot and see how it turns out). :)
From what I know about Photoshop there is a function to downscale objects without distorting them (called Smart Objects), but when downscaling to a resolution like this fox texture (64 x 64 pixels) the distortion is neglegable

Had a real quick go at making another version of that texture using the image Michael Ashby Michael Ashby provided

still extremely blurry, but hey it's a quick thing I slapped together

Michael Ashby

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
GIN#752
I need to downscale that to fit on a 64x64 image, so it wouldn't matter in the end.
From what I know about Photoshop there is a function to downscale objects without distorting them (called Smart Objects), but when downscaling to a resolution like this fox texture (64 x 64 pixels) the distortion is neglegable

Had a real quick go at making another version of that texture using the image Michael Ashby Michael Ashby provided

still extremely blurry, but hey it's a quick thing I slapped together
As far as I am aware, that's about as good as you can get without using MATE to increase the texture size (which is dangerous because you could start hurting your games performance). Falco's jacket textures are wicked small and they cover the sides, collar, and lower back of his jacket; no matter what image you're using it is going to be stretched to a certain extent.

Smart objects aren't really going to help in this sort of situation, because the distortion is mainly happening when the texture is being stretched over the model, not in the actual image itself. That being said, placement plays a big role here. Images towards the middle of the jacket are going to have less "bleed" than images placed near the collar and shoulders.

Something I would recommend to anyone making textures for the first time is just placing randomly colored circles on some of the textures so you can get a feel for where each part of the image is actually used on the character model. In a lot of cases it's not nearly as cut and dry as you think and it will also give you an idea of which areas are being stretched more than others.

Last edited:

spamitburns

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
burn#535
Here's some stuff I've been working on, all include CSS portraits and stock icons

Rayman Fox

Link: https://officialmeleetexturehacksite.com/2020/09/02/rayman/
(I had a go at retexturing his head to look like Rayman, results were pretty horrific so just retextured the body)

Gave Falco's alts corrosponding feather colors, feel like this has probably been done before but idk

Red Feather Falco

Link:
Blue Feather Falco

Link:
Green Feather Falco

Link:

Last edited:

NS23

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SLOK#533
Hey everyone! I just wanted to post a quick guide about making Falco textures look just a little bit cleaner. If you've noticed, the inside of his jacket is red/orange which can really throw off some skins people have made. Thankfully there is a relatively easy solution for this:

Step 0: Things you will need:
- A Hex Editor. I use HxD. It's free! It doesn't really matter which you use, though.
- Internet for this: https://www.google.com/search?q=color+picker. It allows you to find color values in the Hex notation.
- Optional but recommended: Some sort of Photoshop tool (Photoshop and GIMP work great). You can use the "Color Picker" tool there to select any color in your texture if you'd like to match the inside of the jacket to the color you selected. It will give you the color in Hex notation.

1) Choose which color you would like to change the inside of the jacket to using either Google or Photoshop to find the color.
2) Open the file you'd like to change with your Hex Editor.
3) You'll see millions of numbers, don't worry! Click Ctrl+G and then type in 7C00. You'll see a string of numbers after the blue "00007C00" (the string of numbers is 80 48 1F FF F7 87 2C FF FF FF FF FF 3F 80 00 00).
4) Replace your Hex Color with 80 48 1F and F7 87 2C. Meaning if you want to change the inside of the jacket to a certain shade of yellow, in this case the specific color "FCFC03", then select 80 48 1F and replace it with FC FC 03, and do the same with F7 F7 87.
5) Save the file (Ctrl+S).
6) Import the file back into your ISO.
7) Enjoy!

Note: For Fox, the inside of his jacket is just the tiny 8x8 file called "0x50400". So all you need to do is just change the color of that and you're set!

Feel free to PM with any questions. I'm starting university at the start of next week so I don't think I'll be very active around here anymore (unfortunately), but I'll eventually get back!

This could not have been done without this thread: https://smashboards.com/threads/changing-color-effects-in-melee.313177/ I took stuff from there and oversimplified it to more easily explain how to edit this very specific texture. Thank you to all who worked on that ongoing project.
There may be easier ways to do this (I think a tool somewhere in DTW can help with this), but I am not familiar with it. Please share if there is one, though!

Happy modding!

Last edited:

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
NS23 NS23
Can you teach us how to find out what to look for?
For example, instead of me asking how do I change FD color, I'd like to know how to find that info myself.

NS23

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SLOK#533
NS23 NS23
For example, instead of me asking how do I change FD color, I'd like to know how to find that info myself.
Check out the link I posted. It gets pretty complicated but not impossible to understand. Unfortunately, I'm not too familiar with everything, just the Falco thing and a few others because it's always bothered me, lol. I have never really done anything with FD, and after a quick peek at the thread they don't seem to deal with stages unfortunately. Sorry I couldn't help :( Other people here would for sure be able to help or you can try asking on the Melee Workshop Discord.

DRGN

Technowizard
Hey everyone! I just wanted to post a quick guide about making Falco textures look just a little bit cleaner. If you've noticed, the inside of his jacket is red/orange which can really throw off some skins people have made. Thankfully there is a relatively easy solution for this:

Step 0: Things you will need:
- A Hex Editor. I use HxD. It's free! It doesn't really matter which you use, though.
- Internet for this: https://www.google.com/search?q=color+picker. It allows you to find color values in the Hex notation.
- Optional but recommended: Some sort of Photoshop tool (Photoshop and GIMP work great). You can use the "Color Picker" tool there to select any color in your texture if you'd like to match the inside of the jacket to the color you selected. It will give you the color in Hex notation.

1) Choose which color you would like to change the inside of the jacket to using either Google or Photoshop to find the color.
2) Open the file you'd like to change with your Hex Editor.
3) You'll see millions of numbers, don't worry! Click Ctrl+G and then type in 7C00. You'll see a string of numbers after the blue "00007C00" (the string of numbers is 80 48 1F FF F7 87 2C FF FF FF FF FF 3F 80 00 00).
4) Replace your Hex Color with 80 48 1F and F7 87 2C. Meaning if you want to change the inside of the jacket to a certain shade of yellow, in this case the specific color "FCFC03", then select 80 48 1F and replace it with FC FC 03, and do the same with F7 F7 87.
5) Save the file (Ctrl+S).
6) Import the file back into your ISO.
7) Enjoy!

Note: For Fox, the inside of his jacket is just the tiny 8x8 file called "0x50400". So all you need to do is just change the color of that and you're set!

Feel free to PM with any questions. I'm starting university at the start of next week so I don't think I'll be very active around here anymore (unfortunately), but I'll eventually get back!

This could not have been done without this thread: https://smashboards.com/threads/changing-color-effects-in-melee.313177/ I took stuff from there and oversimplified it to more easily explain how to edit this very specific texture. Thank you to all who worked on that ongoing project.
There may be easier ways to do this (I think a tool somewhere in DTW can help with this), but I am not familiar with it. Please share if there is one, though!

Happy modding!
NS23 NS23
Basically, you'd want to be looking for a Material Object that doesn't have a Texture Struct attached to it. Check my post a little bit higher on this page for an indication of how to do that and an example. Once you locate the Material Object and its attached Material Colors, you can just click on one of the color swatches shown on the right (blue arrow below), and then click on "New Color" (green arrow below) to bring up a color chooser and choose a new color (or enter exact values on the previous window). So you don't need a third party to generate a hex color code.

1597889451914.png

Michael Ashby

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
GIN#752
Boltund (Pokemon) - Fox
Replaces Orange
Bolthound Fox.png

Download Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K_M-S5RIutyHFjGxTWPLJcHaa-U26sxn/view?usp=sharing

Bright Water Camo (Counter Strike) - Fox
Replaces Lavendar
GALE01-11.png

Download Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hsr9E8qSwjC2RwRmgFLV9I7iHd6KH4-d/view?usp=sharing

Foley (Kirby and the Amazing Mirror) - Kirby
Replaces Green
Foley Kirby.png

Download Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TEa1Exg6Avt0ymri-fhy0DyQBqwPs-kc/view?usp=sharing

Tak (Kirby's Air Ride) - Kirby
Replaces Neutral
Tak Kirby.png

Download Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TEa1Exg6Avt0ymri-fhy0DyQBqwPs-kc/view?usp=sharing

Scarfy (Nightmare in Dreamland) - Kirby
Replaces Yellow
Scarfy Kirby.png

Download Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F78LEe4ruyXhhqM3BU8eOa1Z0Augbjqp/view?usp=sharing

Link to all of my textures
: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1kaQIRveLbDYMFnE0R1EfOXsCH3uq0AFP?usp=sharing

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
DRGN DRGN
[/QUOTE]
DRGN was teasing it a bit up on this page with this picure

Last edited:
Top Bottom