• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Mario Stage Discussion Thread: Stage #14: Jungle Japes

Genos

Smash Apprentice
One thing I don't like about battlefield is that Mario's Up-smash does not go through the platforms while many other characters have up-smashes that are capable of this. It's not terrible, it just reduces versatility.

Matt07

Smash Master
This is like my 2nd favourite counterpick stage (Rainbow Cruise is first, depending on the characters I fight though) I like the ability to u-air through platforms, f-air cancelling works really well here, and it helps your up B if you hit or miss, because you'll land on the platform and have 'less landing lag using it.'

Yea, that's my only gripe about Battlefield is his usmash won't hit through the platforms. Well...at least utilt does, haha.

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
This stage makes more daring edgeguard techniques a bit easier to use. I can F-air spike and actually feel like I'll be able to recover.

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
Alright then, let's try to sum this one up (*watches Matt07 come up and post*) and then we can think up a new stage.

I'm going for Smashville.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I vote for Smashville as well. We need to finish off the neutrals before going into counterpicks.

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
Alright, Smashville it is.

But before that, lemme try to sum up something for Battlfield...

Pros
+ The ability to Wall Jump is helpful
+ Enemies are usually in range of Fireball approach
+ Platforms help avoid projectile spammers
+ An easy stage to combo foes on
+ The ability to U-air through platforms
+ A smaller stage, which helps Mario's lack of range

Cons
- A stage that works well for many characters besides Mario
- Can't U-Smash through platforms (but you can U-Tilt)
- Platforms can assist other characters in comboing you

Hmm... a 65:35 in Mario's favor?

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
Heavyweights, and a few of the middleweight characters you can really demolish on Battlefield if you stay aggresively in their face the whole time juggling and using tilt attacks as soon as you land.

It's mainly character specific i'd say. (To me anyway's) I can never beat a good ZSS , Falco, or GW on Battlefield. The small stage with the platforms really hurt me against characters capable of applying pressure by controlling the whole stage.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
I love the moving platform, as it makes Fireball spam a very effective option, for both offensive and defensive purposes. It makes a very effective wall that slower, ground based fighters can have a hard time getting around.

More aerial opponents, unfortunately, can take advantage of the platform and the fact the stage is small.

Oblique

Smash Apprentice
This doesn't happen a lot but u can stage spike your opponent with the last hit of upB when they are hanging on the stage and u still survive. (Don't add this cuz it works in almost every stage)

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
Alright, well who can sum this one up so we can move on?

And as usual, what stage should we do next? I'm going for Yoshi's Island so we can finish the Starters.

Matt07

Smash Master
I used information out of this thread too come up with the summary, credit goes to the original posters.

Pros
+ The ability to Wall Jump is helpful.
+ Enemies are usually in range of Fireball approach.
+ Platforms help avoid projectile spammers.
+ An easy stage to combo foes on.
+ The ability to U-air through platforms.
+ A smaller stage, which helps Mario's lack of range.
+Can stage spike opponents with up B.
+Fireball spam is more effective for both offensive, and defensive purposes.

Cons
- A stage that works well for many characters besides Mario.
- Can't U-Smash through platforms (but you can U-Tilt.)
- Platforms can assist other characters in comboing you.
-More aerial opponents can take advantage of the platform and the fact the stage is small.

I'd rate this maybe 55:45 in Mario's favour.

Hmm, we didn't get much discussion :(. I agree Mariofan, let's do Yoshi's Island :).

400th post, lol.

Matt07

Smash Master
I also had that happen to me before, but it also saved me once too xD. Umm what else to add hmm.

Pros:
+You can safely use up B, you can choose to stay on the platform, or fall down onto the lower part of the stage.
+You can avoid projectiles on the Upper platform.
+Small blast zones, I can K.O Marth's at like 90% on this stage with fsmash.

Cons:
-Can't stage spike, up B sends them upwards and diagonall.
-Up smash is weakened due to the high ceilings.

Oh and Mariofan, I have my summary 2 posts above your's.

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
I also had that happen to me before, but it also saved me once too xD. Umm what else to add hmm.

Pros:
+You can safely use up B, you can choose to stay on the platform, or fall down onto the lower part of the stage.

Cons:

That was Smashville or Battlefield?

hippiedude92

Smash Hero

Pros:

Cons:

to add on to yours since im so lazy, The slanted ended slopes are gay because people who have good edgeguards like marths or GaWs dtilts can basically outrange you on the edge. Oh and people who have (dunno how to explain) moves like TLS dair or yoshis downb, when they do it on the slope, they basically regrab the edge again =/

Also the shy guys smallly mess up your spacing and fireball approach. But shouldnt prove much though. i kinda hate this stage

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
One thing about this stage is that you can really abuse Mario's wall jump to recover.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I dislike this stage really, but the platform allows for save Up-B counters. That's about it though.

Matt07

Smash Master
I also don't really like the Cape Glide timing on this stage, it tends to screw me up from time to time.

Dory

Smash Journeyman
just to say i completely disagree with the 35:65 disadv on delfino and 65:35 adv on rainbow >.>

Dory

Smash Journeyman
Why so? If you give a good explanation, then we could perhaps reconsider...
well they do give pros and cons on the first page, and lets just say i dont feel that way about the stage. the cons of delfino and the pros of cruise. thats all... just my opinion though, as i see others agreeing with the said pros and cons

Matt07

Smash Master
I used information out of this thread too come up with the summary, credit goes to the original posters.

Yoshi's Island

Pros:
+Wall jumping is a definate help here for our edge game.
+Meduim sized stage, so a chaingrab won't last too long.
+The ghost platform can either save us.

Cons:
-Crooked floor causes Fireball to die out quicker.
-Slanted edge help Marth's, and Game and Watch's down tilts, helping there edgeguarding.
-Characters moves such as Toon Link's d-air, and Yoshi's down B helps them regrab the edge, if they use it on the slope.
-The ghost platform can either save them.

I'd rate this, 60:40 in other characters favour?

Oops, sorry Mariofan. I didn't read your post about the stage, yes that conclusion was Smashville, but here it is again.

Smashville

Pros
+ The ability to Wall Jump is helpful.
+ Enemies are usually in range of Fireball approach.
+ Platforms help avoid projectile spammers.
+ An easy stage to combo foes on.
+ The ability to U-air through platforms.
+ A smaller stage, which helps Mario's lack of range.
+Can stage spike opponents with up B.
+Fireball spam is more effective for both offensive, and defensive purposes.

Cons
- A stage that works well for many characters besides Mario.
- Can't U-Smash through platforms (but you can U-Tilt.)
- Platforms can assist other characters in comboing you.
-More aerial opponents can take advantage of the platform and the fact the stage is small.

I'm willing to say this is a 55:45 in Mario's advantage.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion

What is the point of giving a ratio...every character has good and bad levels Mario vs Falcon on Luigi's Mansion is like 100: 0 Mario but if it's Olimar it's 70: 30 Olimar...you guys need to think your rating system over

Matt07

Smash Master
:laugh:, True, true. I'm just thinking it's a general consensues. Hopefully when we finish this thread, then maybe, maybe we can do all the characters vs Mario on that stage. But that will take a lot of work.

Monk, you have anything to add? I know how much you love typing, and discussing things very well ;).

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace

What is the point of giving a ratio...every character has good and bad levels Mario vs Falcon on Luigi's Mansion is like 100: 0 Mario but if it's Olimar it's 70: 30 Olimar...you guys need to think your rating system over
I suppose you're right. But like Matt07 said, this is basically a thread for getting the general consensus on each stage, though perhaps a different rating system could help... any suggestions or input? We always appreciate help from Smash lords and whatnot.

EDIT: Also, what stage should we head to next... I'm thinking Castle Seige, Lylat Cruise, Halberd, or PK Stadium 1...?

Matt07

Smash Master
Hmm....let's do Halberd?

Umm suggestions about the ratings, I think first we do a general consensus of how Mario does on each stage, then we'll do it for him vs every other character, it sounds like a lot of work, but it will be a fully completed stage guide.

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
That sounds best. Will be long & thorough. Discuss the overall pros/cons for Mario first on each individual stage. Then what characters To use each stage on.

Like Olimar, Rainbow Cruise hurts him tremendously, but never pick Luigi's Mansion when facing him, and ect.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
+utilts can go through the platform
+platforms perfect place for upair binds
+ ghost platform lets you upb safely

- People like Mk and d3, can abuse hitting you under the stage >_<

+/- there's hazards. Dunno if its a pro or con since it can go against you as well.

Matt07

Smash Master
Halberd

Pros
+Famous' new technique Cape Dashing works well here.

Cons:
-Can easily lose a stock because you can't reach the platform. When the platform is flying around.

And plus everything else Hippiedude said.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Love this stage. UpB stage spikes on the 3rd phase (while you're actually ON Halberd) are alot more effective here than any other stage because of the ridiculous lip.

Top Bottom