• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Little Mac for SSBB" Thread (NES Mac, not SNES)

Michael Blaine

Smash Apprentice
Hahah awesome moveset. I had my reservations about little mac, but I would definitely want to play as a character like that. I now support little mac. I especially like the regular b move and the up b. poor kirby :(

also i support geno, sonic, diddy, dedede, and krystal

Link'sShadow

Smash Journeyman
Supporting SNES Mac is just heresy. NES Mac has been and always will be the REAL Little Mac. He's my second choice for inclusion in Brawl (after Toad, of course), and I am really holding out for him. He still has a fair chance, as far as I'm concerned.
I would like Toad playable too (Though Mac it higher on my list). I don't even think the SNES Mac was even called Mac. Didn't you name him while you played it?

I also like the work done for the movesets. Nice Work!

"Hi, I'm Mac."

"And I'm a PC"

(Mac Uppercuts the PC)

"Now I'm a PC Mac."

the grim lizard

Smash Master
OK, actually...Eric's moveset is pretty good. I was going to do one, but that should be what it is. And definitely NES Mac ftw.

PS, why isn't this listed under the character index?? A thread created 7 months after this one is instead. :ohwell:

Anders Kaiser

Smash Apprentice
Alright, a few days ago I was debating with some people on Gamefaqs about Mac's move potential, and I brought up a few examples of how he might adapt some of the Punch-Out enemy moves. Since then I've fleshed some of them out and come up with others, so I've written up a list of ideas for Little Mac's special moves. I'd like to make it clear that this is not intended to be a full movelist at all. I haven't listed any damage counters and most of these don't even have specific button combos. This is just a list of some workable ideas.

Star Uppercut: Little Mac’s signature move, so of course it’s gotta be added to his moveset. There’s a variety of ways this could be applied to his fighting style, depending on whether the developers want to make his personal punch a good standby or his trump card.
Variant 1: A standard recovery move. Mac pulls his right fist back for a moment before unleashing a jumping uppercut. Good vertical distance on the jump, not so hot on horizontal movement. Upper-mid range in terms of power, but with a lot of knockback, meaning its only use in a combo would be as an end-cap. Most likely an Up-B attack.
Variant 2: This variant focuses less on recovery and more on power. Mac pulls back and unleashes an uppercut. Animation-wise this looks similar to the first variant, but without the vertical jump at the end. How effective the uppercut is depends on distance. If Mac’s able to get within his enemy’s attack range and connect really close, the effect is a devastating hit, while doing it from farther away is much less effective. Basically the uppercut would function like Luigi’s Super Jump Punch, but without the recovery aspect.
(Variant 2.5): Like variant 2, but with a longer down-time before the uppercut is thrown. This variant doesn’t depend on distance; rather, any hit will send the opponent skyward. Think of it like a more vertical version of the Falcon Punch and you’ll have the right idea.
Variant 3: An all-purpose move, this would work most likely as a neutral-B special. Once again, Mac does the uppercut like always, but in this case several small stars (probably around 3) shoot out from his glove in various directions. Hitting someone with the actual uppercut would do more damage than getting hit with a star, but it wouldn’t pack the power of variant 2’s punch. This would also solve Mac’s need for a ranged attack (which technically isn’t a “need,” but a lot of anti-Mac people seem to point to it as evidence against him).

Macho Windmill: This is a move borrowed from Super Macho Man (who couldn’t have come up with a lamer name, IMO). Upon holding down the button, Little Mac pulls his fist back and begins charging up. Upon releasing, Mac spins around, unleashing a barrage of long right hooks that can hit enemies on either side. The longer you charge before unleashing the windmill, the faster Mac spins and the more punches you can get in on opponents. This move wouldn’t have knockback, but unlike Mario’s Cyclone it doesn’t draw opponents in, either.
Variation: When used in the air, the force of Mac’s spinning generates vertical lift, like a helicopter. This would be used as LM’s recovery move. There’s a catch, though: this still retains the “charging” aspect I mentioned before. More time charging means faster spinning and ultimately more height recovered. This creates an important matter of timing to Mac’s recovery; if you don’t charge the windmill enough you might not get enough lift to get back to the platform, but if you spend too much time charging you might fall too far for the added lift to save you, either. This means that Mac would take quite a bit of practice before you master recovering with him.

Bull Charge: This one comes to us from, obviously, Bald Bull, and would make a nice side-B attack. Mac crouches down and starts hopping across the stage. The longer you move across the stage, the more momentum you pick up and the faster you move, while turning around forces you to slow down and build up the momentum again. Pressing any attack button while crouched makes Mac lunge forward with a punch. It’s a move with a good amount of power, but while crouch-hopping your mobility is limited and you’re subject to attacks from above and behind. If you’re hit with too strong of an attack, you’ll be knocked out of the crouch stance.

Sucker-Punch
: Everyone’s favorite Spaniard, Don Flamenco, contributes this move to the pot. Mac stands up from his fighting posture and gestures toward himself with his gloves, inviting an attack. If an enemy hits him with a direct attack during the taunt, he blocks the attack and counters with a quick hook that doesn’t do much damage but knocks the opponent back a good distance. Used mostly as a defensive move.
Variation - Heart-Stopper: Another counter move of sorts, this isn’t exactly an attack per se but it still borrows from the Punch-Out mythos. Mac assumes a blocking posture for a very short time. If an enemy hits him with a direct attack while he’s blocking, that enemy “runs out of hearts” and becomes stunned temporarily, kind of like Mewtwo’s glare. This gives Little Mac time to set up a big counterattack. The window for draining your opponent’s hearts is very small, so you’ll need precise timing or some luck to get it right; otherwise, Mac will just block the attack with no additional effect.

Fancy Footwork: Another non-offensive idea, this doesn’t come from the game itself but still shows that Punch-Out’s concepts can be applied to some new special moves. Mac begins shuffling his feet against the ground very quickly, kicking up a dust storm. Mac himself becomes difficult to see, while enemies inside the dust are far less obscured. This allows Little Mac to prepare some sneaky attacks, or help cover a quick escape. If you want to take the time to kick up several dust clouds within a small area, Mac can strategically hold a portion of the stage, putting combat on his terms.

TKO: An original creation that requires a little strategy and a good memory to make the most out of it. In the world of Punch-Out, you score a TKO when you knock the opponent down three times. This sort-of works the same way. Mac pulls his fist back and spins it before punching forward. If the punch connects with an opponent, it does a little damage. The same thing happens the second time the move is successfully used. But on the third punch……Mac delivers a devastating haymaker that effectively wipes out anybody with a decent amount of damage already pulled up. Given the power of the TKO punch, it’s relatively difficult to pull off: any time Mac fails to connect with the move, the “count” this move depends on returns to 0. So, to get the haymaker, you need to successfully use the move three times without mistakes.
Variation: The same concept and animation are used, but rather than the 3-count applying to Mac, it applies to his enemies. If you tag an opponent with this punch three times in a row…

Final Smash – Tiger Magic: A powerful attack learned from Great Tiger. After crouching for a second to work up his magic, Mac splits into several illusions who all zip around the arena, pausing only to land powerful punches against all of the opponents on the battlefield. This allows Mac to effectively attack everyone on the field at once, causing their damage counters to skyrocket. Once the onslaught is over, Mac reappears where he first started the strike, and everyone else remains stunned for just a second or two. This can be especially lethal when unleashed on a small stage.

Final Smash – World Circuit: Little Mac isn’t the only memorable face from the Punch-Out franchise, after all. After grabbing the Smash Ball, Mac lifts his WVBA belt over his head, and suddenly a bunch of other boxers appear from behind him, moving out in all directions, fists flying. Bald Bull, Super Macho Man, Mr. Sandman, Von Kaiser, Piston Honda, the list goes on. Essentially, you could think of this move as Little Mac summoning a bunch of very powerful Assist Trophies all at once.

...that's what I've got so far. If any other inspiration strikes, I'll be back. ;)

Xaron Fisk

Smash Journeyman
Awesome. All good ideas. I'm not crazy about Little Mac borrowing a lot of moves from opponents, but these are well done. I really like Heart Stopper and Start Uppercut variant 1. I really, really like TKO and the Tiger Magic final smash. Fancy Footwork sounds funny, could be a little unbalanced, but I like it.

CronoMaster

Smash Apprentice
Little Mac is the f***in s***!!!!! He MUST be in Brawl!!! The ice climbers were in melee, and G&W as unlockable, so, they brought back Pit, so Little Mac as unlockable!! I just cant imagine getting the "challenger aproaching" message and then Little Mac comes in with his pink suit, takes it off to reveal his classic green short black shirt combination, and then a remix of the classic punch out theme starts playin... i would have an orgasm XD

Oh, i found this video a few days ago, i guess everyone in this thread will like it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiBER4iVwCw
****!! it was sweet!

So, yesss!!! Little Mac must make a comeback for Brawl XD

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Alright, a few days ago I was debating with some people on Gamefaqs about Mac's move potential, and I brought up a few examples of how he might adapt some of the Punch-Out enemy moves. Since then I've fleshed some of them out and come up with others, so I've written up a list of ideas for Little Mac's special moves. I'd like to make it clear that this is not intended to be a full movelist at all. I haven't listed any damage counters and most of these don't even have specific button combos. This is just a list of some workable ideas.
I didn't want to repost all of it, but FANTASTIC job! Those ideas were all very well thought out, and I loved every single one. Now we can only hope that Little Mac is treated with as much respect in Brawl! :grin:

CronoMaster

Smash Apprentice
Whats going on? this thread is constantly forgotten! and SNES Mac keeps getting posts, c'mon! Plus i havent read any comments on the video i posted earlier

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Whats going on? this thread is constantly forgotten! and SNES Mac keeps getting posts, c'mon! Plus i havent read any comments on the video i posted earlier
That's because of parrothead...>_> Even the people that post in the "SNES Mac" thread are always talking about NES Mac and making movesets for the latter as well.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
A nice guy (CYANLASER) from the NSider Forums made this little gem. Enjoy! =)

Xaron Fisk

Smash Journeyman
BUMP, even though I personally prefer this topic tucked neatly out of sight. I kinda like the calmer vibe of this thread. It suits the character, I feel. I don't think a monthly bump is a bad idea, unless someone has something to add.

Aeris, I'm not seeing what you posted. I wanna see the gem!

Stak

Smash Cadet
Bumping because Little Mac in Brawl is a worthy cause to support

The ideas for moves posted are pretty good, but how about this for a Final Smash:

Upon grabbing a Smash Ball, Mac becomes huge and mostly transparent, and moves into the foreground, and a targeting cursor appears. Use the stick to move around the cursor, and A and B to throw punches. Characters hit by the punches take mid-ish damage but the hits carry lots of knockback.

parrothead

Smash Lord
NES Mac's 8-bit look when he sits in the blue corner looks goofy. His look in the official art looks better in my opinion V:

paralasalud

Smash Ace
i know this is stupid but when i was using the "random" button in the name entry for melee, Ike came up, Pit came up, and so did Mac. i usually don't say things like that, but whatever.

Top Bottom