• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official King Dedede Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-major

Smash Champion
OFFICIAL KING DEDEDE DISCUSSION THREAD!

King Dedede! Self proclaimed ruler of Dreamland and resident pimp, has joined the Brawl!... but what can he do?... plenty my friends... plenty! and with YOUR help, we can find even more!

::AFFILIATES::

<CO18's Ultimate King Dedede Guide and FAQ>
He has Brawl, and he has in depth info on King Dedede! including average move damage, what moves are good and bad, what characters can be chain grabbed (Penguin Stomped), ect. updated regularly!

<King Dedede is the best character in the game>
Tank McCannon gives indisputable evidence as to why King Dedede is the greatest thing to happen to Smash Bros. ever, EVER!

<Official King Dedede Video Thread>
A bunch of King Dedede Game play videos. nuff' said. :D

::SPECIAL MOVES::

<Standard Special Move: Super Inhale>

"Get in mah BELLEH!"

Dedede's standard move is Inhale (who would have seen THAT coming!?!?). it has about twice as much range as Kirby's, and does about 10% damage when you spit them out. it's pretty hard to get out of his belly once your in it, making Suicidedede's easy.

you can inhale your own Waddle Dee's/Doo's, but not spit them out. you will automatically swallow them.

<Up Special Move: Super Dedede Jump>

I-Incredible! what a jump!!

as you can see from the above screen shot, Dedede's up B covers hardly no horizontal distance (however, you may be able to move slight left or right while rising up; because Sakurai says that it's movement is limited, not non-existent); BUT, it does cover massive upward distance, and then...

...he slams into the ground with incredible force! and just like in the Kirby games, it produces stars on both sides of him when he lands

also, pressing down on the control stick while using this move, will let you cancel it. this must be done about half way before hitting the ground, or else you will mess up the landing, and be vulnerable to attacks. also, you must cancel the fall if you want to sweetspot a ledge.

Super Dedede Jump horizontal movement is based on momentum. for example:

Standing still = Strait up

Running = Maximum side movement

<Side Special Move: Waddle Dee Toss>

Dedede's Side B causes him to throw one of three minions! most common being the lowly Waddle Dee, then beam shooting Waddle Doo, as well as the rare spike-headed Gordo!

the Waddle Dees/Doos will stay on the stage and walk around after you throw them.

Waddle Doo will FIRE HIS LAZUR at people, and Waddle Dee will... waddle... Gordo's will vanish after the hit the ground or an opponent.

Waddle Dee's cause an average of 5 damage, Waddle Doo's cause around 7%-10% (damage based on distance. the closer you are, the more damage it does), and Gordo's cause an average of 23% DAMAGE AND MASSIVE KNOCK BACK!! :O

<Down Special Move: Jet Hammer>

OH YEAH! Now we're FU*KING TALKIN'!!

Look at that! I-It's awesome!

This Hammer of Epic Pwning Destruction (HEPD, if you will) is Dedede's down special move!

This chargeable, mechanized hammer delivers an incredibly destructive swing!

JET HAMMER'D!

you can walk around with it charged, and even jump, but you can't store the charge by pressing shield. once you release the B button, you will swing the hammer. you can use it in the air, but the amount of damage is halved. fully charged, it does 30% damage on the ground, and 16% damage in the air. if used in the air, you can still use your multi jumps and Up B.

while charging the hammer, Dedede's damage increases. it goes up by 1% every 0.5 seconds. meaning 2% every second.

::FINAL SMASH::

<Waddle Dee Army>

he whistled?... why did he do that?

...huh? what!?

OH SHI...!!

Dedede's Final Smash calls on an army of his minions to rush the stage! these Waddle Dees are stronger and faster than the regular ones, so watch out! Waddle Doos and Gordos are part of the raid as well. however, Dedede cannot move during his Final Smash, but he is invincible.

::ATTACKS::

first off, I recommend you watch this video. it's a character tutorial of Dedede that shows all of his moves. it's a VERY good way to see all his moves in action!

<Standard A>
Three swings of his hammer. if you attack rapidly, he spins the d of his hammer around.

<Forward Smash>

he pulls the hammer behind his head and balances on one foot, then slams his hammer onto the ground using both hands.

<Up Smash>

Dedede swipes his hammer above him

::OTHER::

<Term List>
this is the list of current terms used for Dedede's attacks and techniques.

Regicide: The act of inhaling an opponent using Dedede's neutral B, and jumping off an edge; K.O.ing both you, and you opponent.

Penguin Stomping: the act of using Dedede's down throw in repeated succession; a chain grab.

more to come!

<Entrance>

his Waddle Dee servants carry him to the stage on his throne.

<Taunts>

gives an angry glare, holds his hammer with both hands, and spins the head around rapidly.

<Multi-Jump>

Dedede has the ability to Multi-Jump, just like Kirby and Meta Knight. he has 4 mid-air jumps.

<Colour Swaps and Alt Costumes>

These are Dedede's colour swaps.

along with a colour swap, Dedede also gets a different design on his belt. they are as follows:

Original [Standard Zig-Zag pattern]
Sepia [Standard Zig-Zag pattern]
White/Ice Blue [Hexagon patten]
Purple [Robe gets a black trim, and belt gets a regal looking design]
Green [Standard Zig-Zag pattern, but with different colours]
Pink [Star patten]

I'll update it with more stuff as time goes by, and we find out more stuff. if you find anything new, let me know.

Ryudo_Sama

Smash Ace
I would like to try him out, King Dedede is very interesting. Now just give him a black color alt for me. :laugh:

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
2 recolors I am hoping for:

-Black instead of blue skin so that he looks like a real life penguin
- purple coat, feather in cap, gold hammer, gold necklace. pimp dedede!

:D

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
The main villain of the Kirby series.

Hes like Bowser is to Mario, Ganondorf to Link, King K Rool to DK, so on so on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCE56JavpXg

Btw topic creator, can I ask you to edit these in:

Under waddle dee toss:

Under jet hammer:

It'll make it look better. :)

Can also edit in his theme, that'd be cool to add.

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
I made the Yoshi pic myself, using paint

If you want to make one crop a pic to be 100x48. I dont know what font it is, I drew it myself from other icons that I saw

Back to Dedede... man can't wait to try him out. Just hope he isnt really slow. Everyones heard how Bowser is this time around, being way more awesome than he was in Melee. So I hope they learned their lesson on slow but powerful characters (besides Ike..). DK and Bowser arent that slow, so Im hoping Dedede is just as fast as them. :)

His projectile looks awesome, his hammer looks awesome, his recovery will be awesome. Hes got to be powerful with that hammer.

I bet hell have really nice priority with the Hammer, everyone with weapons does really. He's the top new guy I want to try .

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
Dedede looks pretty awesome. I don't think he'll be too slow at all, he'll likely be about DK speed. His hammer (specially JET HAMMER) looks awesome. All his moves are great (yay for Super Inhale!), and his floating is very interesting (whether it's a glide, multi-jump, or Yoshi-ish second-jump, its great). Can't wait to try him. Gonna be my secondary, after MK of course!!
Also, it looks like the image for "Two Trouble Kings" with Dedede lying down looks like it may be a taunt, IMO.

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
nice, this got stickied.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=122664

theres some alternate colors in there, they could really use being resized though before being in here

man I really want to see more awesome screenshots on the dojo soon! or way better yet videos of him in the japan edition of this game, to see what hes like in movement and speed and power and such :)

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
This King Dedede is looking like a combination of Kirby and Peach.

“Comes with a hammer, throw-able projectiles, and maybe several jumps. Order now!”

Next, we will all be debating everything about “who has the best hammer” to “waddle-dee vs. turnip” to "the best Inhaler" and even “who has the best jump.”

T-major

Smash Champion
This King Dedede is looking like a combination of Kirby and Peach.

“Comes with a hammer, throw-able projectiles, and maybe several jumps. Order now!”

Next, we will all be debating everything about “who has the best hammer” to “waddle-dee vs. turnip” to "the best Inhaler" and even “who has the best jump.”
don't forget Ice Climbers! :D

however, I don't think that the Waddle Dees and Turnips are anything alike. the Waddle Dees/Doo stay around and attack after you throw them, Turnips don't. the fact that you both throw them doesn't mean anything, because than people would be comparing Peach's turnips to Links bombs...

T-major

Smash Champion
waddles might be like ammo. The standard thing would be to inhale them and spit them. A gordo would do so much damage!
this is a must if you ask me, granted that if Dedede's inhale works like we think it does (like a cannon that shoots out things you inhale as stars). it would be super handy, and lead to a lot of possible strategies. not to mention it's just plain awesome.

it's actually my #1 hope for King Dedede at the moment.

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
Its going to, Kirby could do it in Melee to redeads/koopas/goombas/etc... and Im sure Kirby/Dedede will be able to do it in this game. No doubt in my mind. :grin:

Gordos I dont think so. They have never been inhaleable in the games.. for good reason. Their a ball of metal with sharp metal spikes. Sakurai would be a cruel basterd to let them inhale them! :p

verditude

Smash Journeyman
Well, with the new commercials, we have multi jumps, and the upB creating the star in the screnshot confirmed.

T-major

Smash Champion
edited main post with confirmed info, and added links to the commercial and Dedede's theme music.

man! Dedede is such a P I M P, PIMP! it also looks like he's a starter character; which doesn't make sense to me, but is ok because then I can main him right from the start!

iron blade

Smash Ace
If you look towards the end, this video shows that DeDeDe has multiple jumps and his upB DOES produce stars.

Sorry, I just saw that it was already posted...oops lol

Machspeed

Smash Lord
King Dedede looks like a joy to play as, and I'm glad he finally joined alongside Kirby.

A heavyweight... with MULTIPLE JUMPS???

Sounds like ALOT of fun, properties of Kirby on a heavy hard-hitting character. Going to try to use this guy and possibly submain/main.

... and a villain, what a card.

Desruprot

Smash Lord
King Dedede looks like a joy to play as, and I'm glad he finally joined alongside Kirby.

A heavyweight... with MULTIPLE JUMPS???

Sounds like ALOT of fun, properties of Kirby on a heavy hard-hitting character. Going to try to use this guy and possibly submain/main.

... and a villain, what a card.
I agree there, A nice easy to play as lazy guy! I was not being sarcastic, he is generally out for himself and he only lets minions do the work...

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
Dedede....is.....the PWNAGE!! From his awesome special moves to his multi-jumping floats to his cool-looking taunts (those we know at least), he is an AMAZING character!! I mean, Super Dedede Jump is great, especially with the stars (I was VERY pleasantly surprised by their confirmation), and so are WD Toss and Super Inhale, but Jet Hammer is awesome! I mean, a huge killer Flare Blade-like move, but you can walk with it!! Also, the multi-jumps are amazing, and only make his recovery more amazing. I'm going on record with guessing that he has 3 or 4 midair jumps btw, not 5 (just my opinion). He also has a great Final Smash, a whole ARMY!! Also, he's a pretty cool "bad guy" (I still say he's good at heart, albeit lazy and selfish, but so is Kirby!). I've also decided I'm going to main him, partly because Meta Knight will likely be WAY overused and partly because 3D is just one giant bag of AWESOME!!!! Glad he's a starter, to say the least! King Dedede all the way!

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
god hes going to be so good. cant wait to use him!! Ill probally end up maining him by the looks of his moveset and recovery... wow does he look cool

Kazyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CheshireKaz
3DS FC
1891-1355-7641
I just saw the commercial last night and was going to reply to this topic to say how pleased I was, but my Internet connection died. Figures. Anyway, I'm glad that he looks like a starter. I can start to train with him as soon as I get the game, as well as Bowser. SO, it does seem that the stars are a part of his Up-B attack just like the stars that appear in Yoshi's Down-B attack.

Also, I'm glad that he has multiple jumps, it'll mean he will be much harder to get off the stage, with 4-5 jumps like that with his Dedede Jump to give him some amazing height in case he is near the bottom of the screen. Ah, it's excellent. I am sure I will play as Dedede, though in the competitive world, if I ever join it that is, I am unsure of whom I will use.

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
No, no, no my friends. It is I who will make King Dedede competitive! Thats right, it's gonna be the King and I!
Seriously though, we could all work towards making him competitive. The more fans the better! Let's bring Dedede into focus and show the world of Smash his true power! he looks really good. Not only do heavyweights look better as a whole, but he looks like an exceptional heavyweight!!

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
lol, king ddd fans unite! well trade freind codes when the game is out to have dedede dittos and learn each others strategys with him!

Yeah Im so glad bowser got the buffs he did, seems like a more potent contender.

Im speculating ddd is going to be sooo hard to kill. With the more frames to DI better, multiple jumps and being as heavy as he is... he'll live forever! Or if your super high percent, kirbycide them with ddds inhale!

Dedede seems SO great. His projectile is unique and looks great, high up b recovery + multijumps with heavy weight, power, inhale could be a great edgeguard (spit them far then puff back!), still dont know how exactly his jet hammer works but it looks deadly!

He looks so epic. I just hope hes not like Ike and super startup lag ftl.

I wonder if he can wall of pain jigglypuff style with the hammer!?

CANT WAIT!!

Kazyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CheshireKaz
3DS FC
1891-1355-7641
I kind of doubt that you can walk with someone within you as Dedede. It just would be a slower, slightly fatter version of him, whom can only jump once. Plus, it would be slightly copying Kirby in the sense. I would suspect that Dedede would fire the opponent out of his mouth, at a rather fast rate, depending on how you tilted the Control Stick.

Or, the Dedede users could have small challenges among themselves, and see who has the best Dedede. It would be using your fighting technique that you implement with him, as well asusing the few advanced techniques that we are aware of in Brawl, if you play that way. I myself, do not use advanced techniques, for I have only recently found the page that tells what they are. I have been doing fine without them, though I'm sure in actual tournaments I would be annihilated.

T-major

Smash Champion
OH MAH GAWD!! I just got the best idea!

you and your friend pick Dedede, and a third person is Kirby. you suck up Kirby with Dedede, and shoot him towards your friend; he then inhales Kirby while he's still coming at him, and he shoot him back! repeat the process, and you've got a game of catch! :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom