• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official item discussion

GimmeAnFSharp

Smash Journeyman
This item is terribly annoying in Animal Crossing... well, not TERRIBLY. But in Wild World, there's atleast 1 new one in your town everyday that you might run over on accident... and when you dig them up, all you can do is either try to strategically place it so a villager falls into it, or throw it out... and getting a villager to perfectly walk over it can be a hassle.

I like its incorporation into the Smash universe, though- it has a rightful place and definitely has its strategic uses in multiple manners.

Question is- if the pitfall is on a platform that you normally can drop through, will the character drop through upon running over it rather than getting stuck?

SuperAce

Smash Journeyman
This is why I'm scared. I'm starting to think we might end up with a Animal Crossing fighters. If they were customizable it might be "aight" but K.K. Slider just doesn't work for me.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Do you think the pitfall will affect your team mates as well? And I don't think it's that obvious whether the trap set on thin platforms will make you get stuck or fall through... fall through makes the most sense, but that's easily countered by just double jumping back onto the platform.

komickid

Smash Apprentice
The motion sensor bomb affects your teammates so i think the pitfall will too.

In the 15 sec clip i think that what you're reffering to is the stage hazard that blows up the bridge.

Shritistrang

Smash Journeyman
Germany, at the shores of lovely Lake Constance
I have some ideas... Okay, I already put them in another thread, but that was before I knew that there was an official item thread (silly me...) :embarrass

Okay, here they are:

Cape Feather: Gives you a cape that allows you to slowly float to the ground after jumping/falling, by holding the jump button. (Super Mario)

Note Block: Wherever it's thrown, it will stay for a while, either in the air or at the ground. It will act as a stationary trampoline.

Bowser Shell: Like a normal green shell, but much bigger! (Mario Kart)

Magic Dust: Sprinkle it over an opponent to turn him into a harmless blob creature for several seconds. Can still jump and walk, but not attack or double jump. (Zelda)

Gust Jar: Used to suck opponents and/or items to you that are far away. (Zelda)

Ice Spreader: A gun that has only 3 shots, creates a huge field of ice upon impact. Everyone who is close by at that moment will be frozen. The surrounding ground will be slippery for a while. (Metroid)

Wave Beam: A gun that can shoot through walls and electrifies the enemy. (Metroid)

Nugget: Gives you a big amount of special points once you collect it. (Pokemon)

Poke Flute: One-use item. Use it and all opponents are forced to dance for a short while. (they can't do anything else) (Pokemon)

Lock-On Gun: Charge it to lock on to an enemy and release to fire a homing shot. (Starfox)

Nova Bomb: Thrown item, only explodes when it hits an opponent. Huge blast radius! (Starfox)

Warp Creatue (don't remember their name): Two of them appear at once. Once activated, you can warp between them anytime. (Yoshi's Story)

Metal Barrel: You can throw it and it bounces off walls. When it's rolling back to you, you can jump on to ride on it. (DK Country)

Tire: You can roll it around and use it as a trampoline. The enemy can use it as well. (DK Country)

Mike: You can yell into the mike up to three times, and every time you do it, the opponents that are close by are hurt and thrown back by the sound. (Kirby)

Yoyo: Allows you to attack with a long-rage yoyo for a while (Kirby, Earthbound)

Eggplant Wizard's Wand: Fires eggplants in an arc that turns the opponent into an eggplant creature for a short while (similar to Magic Dust, but as a long-range projectile) (Kid Icarus)

What do you say? :)

gamstog

Smash Rookie
I have some ideas... Okay, I already put them in another thread, but that was before I knew that there was an official item thread (silly me...) :embarrass

Okay, here they are:

Cape Feather: Gives you a cape that allows you to slowly float to the ground after jumping/falling, by holding the jump button. (Super Mario)

Note Block: Wherever it's thrown, it will stay for a while, either in the air or at the ground. It will act as a stationary trampoline.

Bowser Shell: Like a normal green shell, but much bigger! (Mario Kart)

Magic Dust: Sprinkle it over an opponent to turn him into a harmless blob creature for several seconds. Can still jump and walk, but not attack or double jump. (Zelda)

Gust Jar: Used to suck opponents and/or items to you that are far away. (Zelda)

Ice Spreader: A gun that has only 3 shots, creates a huge field of ice upon impact. Everyone who is close by at that moment will be frozen. The surrounding ground will be slippery for a while. (Metroid)

Wave Beam: A gun that can shoot through walls and electrifies the enemy. (Metroid)

Nugget: Gives you a big amount of special points once you collect it. (Pokemon)

Poke Flute: One-use item. Use it and all opponents are forced to dance for a short while. (they can't do anything else) (Pokemon)

Lock-On Gun: Charge it to lock on to an enemy and release to fire a homing shot. (Starfox)

Nova Bomb: Thrown item, only explodes when it hits an opponent. Huge blast radius! (Starfox)

Warp Creatue (don't remember their name): Two of them appear at once. Once activated, you can warp between them anytime. (Yoshi's Story)

Metal Barrel: You can throw it and it bounces off walls. When it's rolling back to you, you can jump on to ride on it. (DK Country)

Tire: You can roll it around and use it as a trampoline. The enemy can use it as well. (DK Country)

Mike: You can yell into the mike up to three times, and every time you do it, the opponents that are close by are hurt and thrown back by the sound. (Kirby)

Yoyo: Allows you to attack with a long-rage yoyo for a while (Kirby, Earthbound)

Eggplant Wizard's Wand: Fires eggplants in an arc that turns the opponent into an eggplant creature for a short while (similar to Magic Dust, but as a long-range projectile) (Kid Icarus)

What do you say? :)
alot of these items would be awesome but take the baseball bat for example it is so strong(with the one hit kill) that the game just doesn't spawn it anywhere near what i would like it to when other less brutal items are on so how would these items fit in to all that with the nova bomb for example it sounds like a bob-omb but combined with the motion sensor mine these two items alone are both potent killing devices so how fair would it be to have a nova bob-omb that essentially does the combination of both these items

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
i want to be able to see hitmonlee back when i was a kid i just laughed for like 3 minutes with my friend when he came out and wobufett too.

killbeast301

Smash Lord
alot of these items would be awesome but take the baseball bat for example it is so strong(with the one hit kill) that the game just doesn't spawn it anywhere near what i would like it to when other less brutal items are on so how would these items fit in to all that with the nova bomb for example it sounds like a bob-omb but combined with the motion sensor mine these two items alone are both potent killing devices so how fair would it be to have a nova bob-omb that essentially does the combination of both these items
Learn to use punctuation so people can understand you.

specialsauce

Smash Journeyman
im lookin forward to seeing items that are closley related to diffrent series like the franklin badge or if sonicss in it they could have one of those springy things as an item etc

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Items add a sort of chaotic element to the game that I think is necessary. Dealing with changing events is a part of skill...yet professional players refuse to add chaotic elements because they seemingly can't handle changing events. One reason I don't like professional gamers who seem to like only order to be able to play at their best...

Grovel

Smash Rookie
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this or not but who else thinks some kind of reverse item would be cool. What I mean by that is when hit by it all controls do the opposite.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Items add a sort of chaotic element to the game that I think is necessary. Dealing with changing events is a part of skill...yet professional players refuse to add chaotic elements because they seemingly can't handle changing events. One reason I don't like professional gamers who seem to like only order to be able to play at their best...
Scenario: An exciting match between two players of nearly equal skill. Both are at 2 stock 0%. Player A has practiced very hard as of late and shows it.

He performs a would-be 0-death combo, but the last hit is on top of a Bob-bomb, killing both players.

Before they respawn, a hammer appears directly underneath player B's platform.

They drop down, he picks it up and enjoys control of the entire stage while A is forced to edgehog stall.

When B wins this fictional match, did he deserve to? Could player A have forseen that Bob-bomb and stopped in the middle of an amazing combo? Could he have planned better and picked the other controller ports so he would have gotten the hammer first?

These don't have to do with skill, they have to do with luck. So it's not so much that we hate chaos, it's that we love to make matches as fair as possible.

killbeast301

Smash Lord
Scenario: An exciting match between two players of nearly equal skill. Both are at 2 stock 0%. Player A has practiced very hard as of late and shows it.

He performs a would-be 0-death combo, but the last hit is on top of a Bob-bomb, killing both players.
this is a problem, but it should be fairly easy to make sure that all items spawn away from characters

Before they respawn, a hammer appears directly underneath player B's platform.

They drop down, he picks it up and enjoys control of the entire stage while A is forced to edgehog stall.
The hammer? please. sheild grab him, toss up, and juggle him off the edge from where he can't return because he has no second jump and no recovery move with the hammer.

When B wins this fictional match, did he deserve to? Could player A have forseen that Bob-bomb and stopped in the middle of an amazing combo? Could he have planned better and picked the other controller ports so he would have gotten the hammer first?

These don't have to do with skill, they have to do with luck. So it's not so much that we hate chaos, it's that we love to make matches as fair as possible.
Appart from blowing yourself up from a bob-omb apearing in front of an attack, items require skill.

Shritistrang

Smash Journeyman
Germany, at the shores of lovely Lake Constance
I think both of you are right, to an extent. You are in luck when the item that would give you an advantage appears... especially if it appears near you. But to use several of the items effectively, you need skill.

I like items and I always play with them, except for a few ones like the Cloaking Device, or the Red Shell.

It's just a matter of preference.

Croco

Smash Lord
Here are some of my ideas (I have more but I am limited with only 21 images)-

• Thunderbolt

Everyone except the user is shrunken down in size.
  • Fake Item Box

Once tossed out.. it floats mid air for a long period of time until touched.
  • Cape Feather

User grows a raccoon tail. It allows them to float back on to the stage like Peach.
  • Blue Shell

The shell seeks out the winning the player. If blocked, the shell bounces off and goes to the 2nd winning character.. and so on. Every block the shell goes faster and faster and will deal more and more damage.
  • Crystal Ball

Pointless throwable item.
  • Magic Potion
  • POW Block

Players on the ground are damaged when this item touches the ground or wall.
  • Bull Pot

Players wear a viking helmet which deals damage if touched.
  • Dragon Pot

Players wear a dragon hat which spits small stream of fire.
  • Carrot

Players grow bunny ears which allow them to float back on to the stage.
  • Hammer Suit

Players wear a black helmet and can throw hammers just like the hammer bros.
  • Goomba's Shoe

Players wear a giant shoe which covers 70-80% of their body. The shoe works just like the hammer.. but it only deals damage if a player can stomp on a enemy.
  • Music Box

Puts enemies to sleep for a brief period of time.
  • P-Wing

Allows players to float back to stage.
  • Stop Watch

Slows down time or stops time for a brief period.
  • Chuckola Cola

Refills 15% of health
  • FLUDD

Players strap the FLUDD and can shoot water in 180 degrees.
  • Yoshi's Cookies

Heals 25% of health.

Noshiee

Smash Ace
Mario Sunshine's paint bruch could be an item, you can hit people with it, but you also release some paint with it, making the floor slippery (spelling?) and the characters that walk on it or are hit by a the paint, get slower for sometime. Though, I rather see Bowser Jr. with it.

Leobenmc

Smash Journeyman
Croco - your ideas for items are incredible, especially the Blue Shell, Thunderbolt and POW Block. If Sakurai was ever going to read these forums for important additions to Brawl, I hope he reads your post first and last.

San Diego, CA (in Yo Mama's house!) PM ME IF U WAN
hey not sure if this was already discussed, but Kirby's Final Smash i believe is already confirmed, if not semi-confirmed. if u notice, every time a character grabs a SmashBall, they have this golden fire aura thing around them. just saying cuz its not in the beginning post...

EDIT: oh yea n Pit's Army of Palutena isnt there

Davy Jones

Smash Ace
I have an idea for sime items:
Voodoo Doll-Might look like a simply doll,but whan thrown in enemies,it curses them.A Voodoo Doll and a nail should appear over the cursed's head,and whenever the nail stings the doll,the character should take 10 dmg and his B-Move should be instatnly stopped(Up+B,Smash+B,all)The Curse Lasts 60 Seconds.
Reverse Mushroom(Online Only)-Can be thrown.Inverses the hit's controll stick.
Brocken Metal Block-Makes your Character's legs of metal.Ussles for atack,but halves your jump hight.
Power Glowes-Whan Grabbed,Character should equipt some gloves and its atack speed should be greatly increased for 45 seconds.

Top Bottom