• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
What are the differences between the east coast metagame and the west coast metagame? Also how would southeast differ from other areas? Do certain characters/play styles work better in different areas? Main reason I ask is there are a disproportionaly large number of falco and luigi players in my area, and almost zero ice climber or jiggs players in my area. For example, a 18 person melee tourney down here had 3 luigis and 5-6 falcos (mains), with one guy who secondary luigi and several who had a pocket falco. I'm from tampa.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I'm super new to the melee scene. I'm talking maybe 1 month of reboot after playing the game casually on its release. I play netplay sometimes when bored and am wondering how to improve from getting bodied every single match I play. I try to make notes of what works and what doesn't but it's incredibly frustrating to play against those who are way more skilled. Any other way to go about learning? Thanks.
Read my post from a few pages up:

Good starting places:
- Smash Lounge: lists and describes all of the major advanced techniques
- Advanced How To Play: 3-part video series further demonstrating the advanced techniques
- Smash Lab: there are 5 episodes (CTRL+F "Smash Lab") packed with top player commentary about general strategy
- Facebook Groups: list of regional Facebook groups you can join to get active in your local scene; the best way to improve BY FAR is to start going to tournaments and playing people

Jeffrey Taylor

Smash Rookie
What should a new player be working on . I still cant really tell when i lcancel and all i know is lcanceling and short hoping ? What else is a staple tech move i should be working on .

Phyanketto

Smash Cadet
Why isn't Roy viable in Melee? He seems like he has a fast Shffl, and his hits keep his opponents close so he can continue to combo them. Is that not a good thing?

Kadano

Magical Express
Hitstun scales from knockback. Roy's aerials have very little KB, so the target is in hitstun for a very short time while Roy is in lag. Crouching / asdi down beats his entire moveset except fsmash, and di away escapes most of his combos.

Last edited:

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
So M2K was saying on stream that he thought he messed up sometimes because he was entering multiple inputs before the start of the next frame- i.e., missing ledge jumps because he pressed both down and x in the same frame, so the game only read the x, causing him to tournament winner.

Is it really true that if you do multiple inputs before the start of the next frame only one of them is read? Is it the last one, or is there some sort of priority assigned to buttons to determine which actually gets executed?

Scroll

Smash Ace
What should a new player be working on . I still cant really tell when i lcancel and all i know is lcanceling and short hoping ? What else is a staple tech move i should be working on .
A really easy to learn tech skill is the actual tech. I learned about it and was able to implement it into my game the same day.
It refers to changing the animation you get when you hit the ground after an enemy has hit you.
Simply press a shield button about half a second before hitting the ground and you will bounce off the ground and onto your feet.
If you hold a direction before you "tech" you will tech roll in that direction.
It's extremely useful way to get back on your feet and get back into the fight or escape and catch your ground.

If my describtion wasn't sufficient search for it on the boards, on google or youtube.

Other than that I'd say learn to Wave Land. Simply air dodge diagonally into the ground. This will help your mobility on platforms and in general.

Kadano

Magical Express
Is it really true that if you do multiple inputs before the start of the next frame only one of them is read? Is it the last one, or is there some sort of priority assigned to buttons to determine which actually gets executed?
Yup, there is priority. I posted a list of the priority chain some time ago but I don’t remember where, lol.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Read my post right above yours.

So M2K was saying on stream that he thought he messed up sometimes because he was entering multiple inputs before the start of the next frame- i.e., missing ledge jumps because he pressed both down and x in the same frame, so the game only read the x, causing him to tournament winner.

You can test input priority by pausing, holding both inputs, then unpausing. For instance, if you pause, hold L and Y, then unpause, your character will jump without shielding. If you pause when your character is on the ledge and hold jump plus down/back to let go, your character will do the awful, laggy ledgejump instead of dropping. That's what M2K was talking about.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Ok this is probably a really vague question that will take a whole thread to answer but hear me out.

As of right now, I'd say im more technical than smart. I have perfect control and understanding of my character. I watch videos of that character, but I still get no where. What should I be doing to get better fundamentally? Ive read threads like Drastic Improvement and all the stuff on the Compendium of Knowledge, I understand everything its saying but I feel like its missing the one thing that will make everything make sense to me.

Like, what makes a top player like Mango or Armada as good as they are? I know it has to do a lot with the punish game, mindgames, and consistency and such... but I feel that's not everything to the story lol. If it was that easy, it seems like a lot more people could get to that level. Whatever Im missing in that list above is literally what I need. I know all the basic stuff like DD to bait out moves, edgeguarding, mindgames, proper spacing, etc. My reaction time is fine, not slow but not godlike so I can react to things like a Marth fsmash or whatever. Pretty decent amount of knowledge on how to play each matchup. Yet ill still get bodied by like average players lol... I watch videos, they give me ideas but i wouldnt necessarily say they make me any better. Idk i just feel stuck, whatever it seems like Im missing (the reason watching videos with the intent of getting better doesnt help, and whatever im missing in understanding why top players are as good as they are) is what I need to break through, help.

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
Ok this is probably a really vague question that will take a whole thread to answer but hear me out.

As of right now, I'd say im more technical than smart. I have perfect control and understanding of my character. I watch videos of that character, but I still get no where. What should I be doing to get better fundamentally? Ive read threads like Drastic Improvement and all the stuff on the Compendium of Knowledge, I understand everything its saying but I feel like its missing the one thing that will make everything make sense to me.

Like, what makes a top player like Mango or Armada as good as they are? I know it has to do a lot with the punish game, mindgames, and consistency and such... but I feel that's not everything to the story lol. If it was that easy, it seems like a lot more people could get to that level. Whatever Im missing in that list above is literally what I need. I know all the basic stuff like DD to bait out moves, edgeguarding, mindgames, proper spacing, etc. My reaction time is fine, not slow but not godlike so I can react to things like a Marth fsmash or whatever. Pretty decent amount of knowledge on how to play each matchup. Yet ill still get bodied by like average players lol... I watch videos, they give me ideas but i wouldnt necessarily say they make me any better. Idk i just feel stuck, whatever it seems like Im missing (the reason watching videos with the intent of getting better doesnt help, and whatever im missing in understanding why top players are as good as they are) is what I need to break through, help.
How long have you been playing? Something that seems key to me is experience. Experience can help everything. Not just whether or not you know how to do x-y-z, but you have it built in so you just do it. It helps build your reactions, not necessarily your reaction time, but that you react appropriately. Practicing against partners regularly (preferably better than you, or at least not worse than you imo) seems like it would help drastically. All the pros have years of experience, even before they became well known.
For what makes the pros so good, when plenty of others have years of experience? I don't know. Perhaps it's just their natural ability to process information and make good use of it. To adapt and change their playstyles. I've heard of, and have an appreciation for, people who understand the game much more deeply than they can put it into play.
But then again, I'm awful at this game, and also without much experience. So what do I know? :ohwell:

Edit: Also, it could be your neutral game. Are you losing a lot of the neutral? Also, what character(s) have you played?

Last edited:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
How long have you been playing? Something that seems key to me is experience. Experience can help everything. Not just whether or not you know how to do x-y-z, but you have it built in so you just do it. It helps build your reactions, not necessarily your reaction time, but that you react appropriately. Practicing against partners regularly (preferably better than you, or at least not worse than you imo) seems like it would help drastically. All the pros have years of experience, even before they became well known.
For what makes the pros so good, when plenty of others have years of experience? I don't know. Perhaps it's just their natural ability to process information and make good use of it. To adapt and change their playstyles. I've heard of, and have an appreciation for, people who understand the game much more deeply than they can put it into play.
But then again, I'm awful at this game, and also without much experience. So what do I know? :ohwell:

Edit: Also, it could be your neutral game. Are you losing a lot of the neutral? Also, what character(s) have you played?
Yeah, its probably experience. Ive only been playing for a little over a year. Also I play Marth and Puff.

Bones0

Smash Legend

Figure out why you're losing and change your strategy until it starts working better. That's all there really is to it as far as the framework for improvement is concerned.

Mc Phillis

Smash Rookie
Hello guys, how can I punish someone who alwas CC? My friend (Marth ,Falco) almost always CC and I don't know what to do to punish that. I play fox. I'm not super good since I don't have a gamecube, I only watch tournaments on twitch, but I'm still okay'ish and I'm pretty even with him. I just feel that I could be better If I wouldn't always jump on him CC.
Thank you

Scroll

Smash Ace
Welcome to the boards!

Grab him and combo off of that ;)
Try and do a "Toma-Hawk" as a mix up in the grap attempt, which is jumping (preferrebly SH FF) with no aerial then land and run and grab him.
At mid percents he cant cc effectively anymore (will now be knocked over when attempting to CC). And you can "return" to your normal game plan

Last edited:

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Dair and runup shine also work nicely, if you're looking for more options.
Iirc strong bair > shine is also safe, but requires (near?) perfect execution, and between grab, dair and shine I think Fox's mixups are sufficient.

Mc Phillis

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the replies guys. I can't really grab him since he's has a huge range with marth d-tilt so I'll work on my short hop to get in.

Scroll

Smash Ace
The Toma-hawk is a fake out approach. It should either put him in his shield, Fsmash, crouching or WD back. A grab should cover 3 of those options. He sure has more options, but thats how most beginners reacts to people jumping at them, in my experience.

Don Quixote

Smash Rookie
Idk if someone already asked this or if it was discussed already but I learned to wave dash and land with R. But lately I've heard most people in upper level play use L. Is that true? And does it make a difference? And if anyone has any helpful links on controller positioning it be extremely helpful

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
That isn't true. Use whatever buttons feel best to you. There is no "right" way.

I use R for all my wavedashes and wavelands, for what its worth

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
hey everyone fairly new to melee
i was just wondering why it is so much more difficult to DI spikes?
is it just me or are they more difficult then traditional moves? aerials,smashes,etc
ex: if i am fox and getting hit by falco in which he ends with a dair above the stage and a little out offstage, at around 60%-90%
i have only DI'ed back on to the stage like 3 times out of all my attempts

Bones0

Smash Legend
hey everyone fairly new to melee
i was just wondering why it is so much more difficult to DI spikes?
is it just me or are they more difficult then traditional moves? aerials,smashes,etc
ex: if i am fox and getting hit by falco in which he ends with a dair above the stage and a little out offstage, at around 60%-90%
i have only DI'ed back on to the stage like 3 times out of all my attempts
How are you trying to DI it? It sounds like you are confused by the misconception that you can reduce your knockback by DIing a certain way. If Falco dairs you at 60% off stage, your best chance of surviving is DIing away and slightly up so your hitstun ends before you reach the blastzone. Even then, you will have a hard time making it back because you had to DI away.

Watch these vids: https://www.youtube.com/user/meleemechanics/videos

NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
Hello, thread.

I main Sheik and Doc, and am picking up Pikachu. I've noticed when I face better players that I often lose because they beat me in the neutral game, since if they get the first hit on me that puts me at a disadvantage. I've decided that I should brush up on my fundamentals, so I thought of a way to do it.

I would go a whole week playing Fox and nobody else. Since Fox demands so much of the player to do well and I can't perform most of his techs, I figure that would force me to rely on my fundamentals, and improve as a result.

My question is, what does anyone think of this plan? Are there any flaws, or should I rethink my game plan for improvement?

Bones0

Smash Legend
Hello, thread.

I main Sheik and Doc, and am picking up Pikachu. I've noticed when I face better players that I often lose because they beat me in the neutral game, since if they get the first hit on me that puts me at a disadvantage. I've decided that I should brush up on my fundamentals, so I thought of a way to do it.

I would go a whole week playing Fox and nobody else. Since Fox demands so much of the player to do well and I can't perform most of his techs, I figure that would force me to rely on my fundamentals, and improve as a result.

My question is, what does anyone think of this plan? Are there any flaws, or should I rethink my game plan for improvement?
There's a huge difference between fundamentals and tech skill. People will sometimes call stuff like L-cancelling fundamental (which it is), but usually when players talk about strategical fundamentals in terms of all fighting games, they are talking about footsies, spacing, timing, RPS, and adaption. All you are going to accomplish by playing Fox for a week is get better at playing Fox. Outside of tech skill, Fox does not really demand too much more of the player than any other character. All characters have to apply those fighting game fundamentals, just in different ways. Some will require better spacing; some will require better footsies. Ultimately, if you know what 2-3 characters you want to play, those are the only characters you should focus on developing fundamentals for. If you want to reduce the scope of your focus, I think dedicating an entire week to one character is a great idea. Just make it a character you actually play.

cjugs

Smash Ace
Why do my moonwalks suck??? i play fox and falco btw. i see mango like fly across when he does it but mine suck, i mean i can do it it's just they're like normal and i want them amazing.

Gami

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheOrigamiGamer
3DS FC
2750-1106-0597
Where on the forums is the best place to find people in my area to play Melee with? Is there a section of the forums that allows me to find smashers by state? Or a search function by city, state, or zip code? I'm in charge of a group called Wiikendly and I am looking for more Melee players to add to the group. Wiikendly is group of smashers based out of Searcy, Arkansas at Harding University. We gather together every weekend to play Melee. Currently I am on summer break so I am in my home state of California. However I am only here for another week or so. I'd like to find people in Southern California that I can play with and work on some fundamentals, for my main Fox, before I head back. Specifically L-cancelling, Up smash out of shield, SHL, SHDL, and SHFFLing. Also if I wanted to host a smashfest where would I post about the details? As a side note I have access to a capture card and a decently fast laptop. If I wanted to link videos of Wiikendly members playing sets where would I post them on the forum? Thanks in advance for all the help.
:002::064: <--- Ivysaur and Kadabra are my favorite pokemon.

Last edited:

Bones0

Smash Legend
Why do my moonwalks suck??? i play fox and falco btw. i see mango like fly across when he does it but mine suck, i mean i can do it it's just they're like normal and i want them amazing.
Assuming you are already walking at full speed, it's all about the speed. To cut down on the time it takes to move your stick from forward to back, learn the limits of each input. You can input the dash slightly below horizontal which will enable you to roll the stick to down a little quicker. You also don't have to roll the stick along the outer edge of your controller; you only have to tilt until you reach the back input. Think of it like doing a low angled forward tilt immediately followed by a down tilt. That is the type of movement you should be using. It's pretty awkward at first, so practicing will let you go a lot faster than when you first learned the inputs.

Where on the forums is the best place to find people in my area to play Melee with? Is there a section of the forums that allows me to find smashers by state? Or a search function by city, state, or zip code? I'm in charge of a group called Wiikendly and I am looking for more Melee players to add to the group. Wiikendly is group of smashers based out of Searcy, Arkansas at Harding University. We gather together every weekend to play Melee. Currently I am on summer break so I am in my home state of California. However I am only here for another week or so. I'd like to find people in Southern California that I can play with and work on some fundamentals, for my main Fox, before I head back. Specifically L-cancelling, Up smash out of shield, SHL, SHDL, and SHFFLing. Also if I wanted to host a smashfest where would I post about the details? As a side note I have access to a capture card and a decently fast laptop. If I wanted to link videos of Wiikendly members playing sets where would I post them on the forum? Thanks in advance for all the help.
Go back to the forum you found this thread in (Melee Discussion), then click on the pinned thread titled "Facebook Groups". Most active regions have a FB group with tons of players you can meet up with and learn about upcoming tournaments from. Beyond this, you can go to the Regional Forums and select your region for local Smash discussions as well as tournament listings.

Gami

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheOrigamiGamer
3DS FC
2750-1106-0597
Go back to the forum you found this thread in (Melee Discussion), then click on the pinned thread titled "Facebook Groups". Most active regions have a FB group with tons of players you can meet up with and learn about upcoming tournaments from. Beyond this, you can go to the Regional Forums and select your region for local Smash discussions as well as tournament listings.
Thanks for the reply. There isn't a group for smash players in Arkansas listed in that thread, and the OP says that they don't add small groups. I'll set up a page for Wiikendly members. We're a small group, but we want to let people know that we're around, and willing to play smash.

Top Bottom