• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Columbus, Ohio PR

Columbus PR

Smash Rookie
The Columbus Power Rankings
Last Updated: n/a
Our Goal
This list was created to measure player skill, reward improvement, and encourage developing players in the Columbus melee scene.
Ranking Criteria
  • Head to Head
Primary placement will depend upon wins between players during a tournament.

• Tournament Placements
How high the player places will be taken into account as well as who they defeated/lost to in the result of a tiebreaker.

• Consistency
A single high or low placement from a player isn't enough to guarantee a major ranking shift. Frequency high/low placement will be taken into account.

Activeness Requirement

Players may only be ranked if they attend at least 2 tournaments within any given ranking period.
Panelists: DippnDots, FizzleBoy, Hanky Panky, Prince Abu​
Columbus Power Rankings
1. Prince Abu :jigglypuffmelee:/ :foxmelee:
2. Hanky Panky :peachmelee:
3. Fizzle :sheikmelee:
4. Corkus :falcomelee:
5. Paradigm :samusmelee:
6. DippnDots :falcomelee:/ :marthmelee:
7. Achilles :foxmelee:/ :marthmelee:
8. Gunpunch :samusmelee:
Ranking Period: October 7, 2012- November 11, 2013*
Results Used:
*Due to a lack of results the ranking period used for the current list is abnormally long. Future ranking periods are expected to be 3-6 months.

mathos

Smash Champion
Ranking Period: October 7, 2012- November 11, 2013*

*Due to a lack of results the ranking period used for the current list is abnormally long. Future ranking periods are expected to be 3-6 months.
I think you need to specify your first sentence in yellow. Does this mean the list won't go up to 10? Or does it mean that the ranking period was long? Ranking periods should remain a consistent length of time regardless of the number of tournaments. Obviously the smashboards crash may have impacted this first posting.

Secondly I understand that Columbus is extremely small area to perform a power ranking but you may want to consider to expand your panel. Most national panels they and compile people from different areas (backgrounds) in order to compile a diverse opinion base. Columbus is so small I doubt you're getting a list that doesn't imply group-think.

Thirdly although power rankings can be insightful, unusually they stop being produced because they become toxic to it's community one way or the other. That is why there hasn't been a national power ranking since 2013.

ToP CaT

Smash Lord
Mathos I couldn't agree more. This was just poorly done in general, the panel should not consist of basically the top 5 on the power rankings. A lot of these players have little to no experience and don't need to be on a power ranking, some are officially retired and others haven't been around in a while. No offense to anyone but this was rushed and seems like more of a flimsy pretext for Abus name to be on the top of a list.

Prince_Abu

Smash Lord
Mathos I couldn't agree more. This was just poorly done in general, the panel should not consist of basically the top 5 on the power rankings. A lot of these players have little to no experience and don't need to be on a power ranking, some are officially retired and others haven't been around in a while. No offense to anyone but this was rushed and seems like more of a flimsy pretext for Abus name to be on the top of a list.
while it is true that a lot of old schoolers who are getting back in the game (i.e you, mathos, etc) might be good enough to be on this list, in the past period since you guys were inactive it doesnt really make sense to add you to the list. if u guys keep playing and showing up at tournies im sure ull be on it too for the next one. The reason i wanted to get a PR together is because we've had a bunch of tournies and i think its a good idea, not so I could have my name at the top. I just happened to play drephen at the most recent tourney so we all agreed it makes sense for me to be #1 for this period.

mathos

Smash Champion
while it is true that a lot of old schoolers who are getting back in the game (i.e you, mathos, etc) might be good enough to be on this list, in the past period since you guys were inactive it doesnt really make sense to add you to the list. if u guys keep playing and showing up at tournies im sure ull be on it too for the next one. The reason i wanted to get a PR together is because we've had a bunch of tournies and i think its a good idea, not so I could have my name at the top. I just happened to play drephen at the most recent tourney so we all agreed it makes sense for me to be #1 for this period.

I totally understand why I wouldn't be put on that list and it's fine. I just think the list might be counterproductive to the goal is all. But hey whatever you guys want to do is fine.

Also saying that you've had a bunch of tournaments but 3 of the 7 listed are over 9 months old (two are over a year) doesn't really help give a proper opinion. But realistically I could see that you guys wanted to include Drephen in the list so it'd be necessary to add older tournaments. 2 of your top 4 only attended 2 tournaments within the past year. All it shows is that Columbus isn't that active in regards to actual tournaments. You might as well include anyone that's had tournament experience at that point.

That being said and to comment more directly on the list. I think the placements are close if not right according to the tournaments sourced. Are the panelists supposed to place more weight on the more recent tournaments? For future rankings I'd recommend displaying the amount of points each player received and perhaps an honorable mention of people that were close to making the list. Transparency is always good.

Also DippnDots is only listed in 1 tournament result that you have posted. Not sure if that's because he went to tournaments and didn't receive a place or why that is. But since 2 tournaments are a requirement I don't know if he should be on there.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
Haha we did forget to mention that during panel discussion, Abu's going to boot me from the Facebook Group now for that Mathos. I actually did participate in a second tournament, but they aren't counting it since i was one of two people there who could L-cancel.

Edit: I guess though, I did play in teams at Shuffle, soo, that makes two?

Mathos and TopCat I understand where you guys are coming from, we all know how Abu wants to be the very best that no one ever was. But really, there has been talk amongst the OSU group for a very long time, and quite frankly lately, local tournaments have been becoming more of a thing. It's not like two years ago anymore where there's literally never a tournament in Columbus. Also a lot of people have been improving vastly, you go back a year and a half to two years, I would probably be at the 3 or 4 position, that's no longer the case and honestly the mindset you have going into a match can make or break you, we feel that not only can this reward people who have been improving, but really show them a quantifiable level of where they were and where they are now.

I've spoken to a couple of people since the list has been released, and we've had a lot of discussion/disagreement about places 1-2 and 5-8, it's not perfect. We need more time and more.. close together data.. to make it perfect. But seriously, this is something the OSU melee group wants and we've given it our best shot.

And TopCat, the only two 'retired' people on the list are BigR and Drephen. But retired is a vague word, they still make it out to every local tournament they know about without fail. They still randomly show up at smash fests once in a blue moon. And they still consistently show their skill is high enough to warrant placing on the ranking list. (Last Edit)

Anyways, I hope this helps clears up any sour feelings.

Edit 2: And sorry man I didnt address your question.

The quoted yellow line basically means our tournament data is spread out from a very long time ago to present, and that in the future we'll be trying to use tournament data from either a 3-month period or a 6-month period.

mathos

Smash Champion
Haha we did forget to mention that during panel discussion, Abu's going to boot me from the Facebook Group now for that Mathos. I actually did participate in a second tournament, but they aren't counting it since i was one of two people there who could L-cancel.

Edit: I guess though, I did play in teams at Shuffle, soo, that makes two?
I could see an argument there. But I imagine the list is based on singles performances. I think you should probably consider the tournament that didn't have a good turnout. Like maybe the other person that could l-cancel was the child of Ken-Mango-TheMan and you beat them. That would give you quite an edge for voting.

Mathos and TopCat I understand where you guys are coming from, we all know how Abu wants to be the very best that no one ever was. But really, there has been talk amongst the OSU group for a very long time, and quite frankly lately, local tournaments have been becoming more of a thing. It's not like two years ago anymore where there's literally never a tournament in Columbus. Also a lot of people have been improving vastly, you go back a year and a half to two years, I would probably be at the 3 or 4 position, that's no longer the case and honestly the mindset you have going into a match can make or break you, we feel that not only can this reward people who have been improving, but really show them a quantifiable level of where they were and where they are now.

I've spoken to a couple of people since the list has been released, and we've had a lot of discussion/disagreement about places 1-2 and 5-8, it's not perfect. We need more time and more.. close together data.. to make it perfect. But seriously, this is something the OSU melee group wants and we've given it our best shot.
Go ahead. I guess I'm coming across as a downer or naysayer when I really was just 1) communicate my leeriness because of past ranking experiences and 2) offer my opinion on how to improve the process.

The quoted yellow line basically means our tournament data is spread out from a very long time ago to present, and that in the future we'll be trying to use tournament data from either a 3-month period or a 6-month period.
Yea my first post was just a gut reaction. After looking at your tournament sources I could see what you mean. Hopefully in the future there will be more tournaments close together so the panel can form a good opinion.

Drephen

Smash Master
Yeah If u guys are going to do this take me and big r off of this list. I have enough hypothetical nonsense arguing for OSU in the BCS already. I really only play for fun anymore.

Columbus PR

Smash Rookie
For my above posted reasons is why you were considered and placed on the list, I've spoken with BigR as well and you two have been removed from the list.

-Dippndots

Top Bottom