• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Offical Translated Name is "Duck Hunt Duo"

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Clearly the Hunter is part of the team, though. Who's shooting??
He's shooting at the dog and duck though

the dog barely gets out of the way in some shots

It's less like he's part of the team and more the dog is taking advantage of the psycho hunter out for duck flesh

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm confused, then why in the leak it just said 'Duck Hunt'...?
Whatever, guessing in the leak it wasn't the final copy, just the almost final copy or something.
Anyway, I'm cool with this name.
Well, that leak had the Tharja trophy so...

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I LOVE THIS SO MUCH! "Duck Hunt Dog" my butt :D
You know what, I think I'm just going to say "The Dog."
"Clearly I am just going to keep calling them by a wrong name"

Edit: They are called Duck Hunt Duo only in Europe? If so, that is quite meh...

Last edited:

Chauzu

Smash Ace
It's not. The name is "Duck Hunt" in North America and Japan, and two regions are bigger than one.
I just saw Jed's twitch stream and he's playing the NA version and the name was Duck Hunt Duo.

(I don't like it, Duck Hunt was good, like Ice Climbers instead of Popo & Nana.)

Last edited:

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
I'm confused, then why in the leak it just said 'Duck Hunt'...?
Whatever, guessing in the leak it wasn't the final copy, just the almost final copy or something.
Anyway, I'm cool with this name.
The Japanese plural is different than it is here. In Japan Ice Climbers is Ice Climber, for example. Also the names are sometimes different anyway. Jigglypuff is Purin, Bowser is Koopa, etc.

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
According to this thread, it's Duck Hunt in America.

EDIT:

This is from the American version, and I couldn't be happier with the name staying the way it is.

Last edited:

BlueZard

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tangerine1234
Aw man... Really? I'm still gonna call them Duck Hunt Duo, though, it's much better than Duck Hunt in my opinion. Makes more sense to me.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I guess the mods will have to change it back to Duck Hunt, huh?

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Would have preferred Duck Hunt Dog over all of them, but I would rather Duck Hunt than Duck Hunt Duo. I just doesn't roll very well.

Bralef

Smash Cadet
"Clearly I am just going to keep calling them by a wrong name"
Yeah, referring to the game's only dog as a dog is definitely incorrect. You sure told me.

Yes, obviously the character slot's official name is not "the dog". Regardless of what the character slot is called though (I'm in favor of "Duck Hunt"), calling the dog a dog is easy, simple, and sensible. Especially considering neither the dog or the duck individually have confirmed names. Like, if saying "the dog" is wrong, then how the hell are you supposed to refer to them individually?

"Forward smash: Duck Hunt looks upwards, signalling Duck Hunt to fire upwards, scaring Duck Hunt and Duck Hunt into ducking." Rolls right off the tongue.

Last edited:

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Duck.
What about the Duck.
The duck isn't supposed to be there. Duck Hunt Dog is perpetually trying to hunt that duck, and he accidentally attacks other people while they're smashing during the hunt.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
If it's still just "Duck Hunt" in America, that's what I'm going to call it. I don't like "Duck Hunt Duo" much at all.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
The duck isn't supposed to be there. Duck Hunt Dog is perpetually trying to hunt that duck, and he accidentally attacks other people while they're smashing during the hunt.
Um...I don't think it works that way. In their official "Tom and Jerry" looking art, it looks like they're friends for at least this game. Let's note that the Ice Climbers were just 1P and 2P colors, they never worked together until Smash

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Considering the huge role the off-screen shooters play in Duck Hunt's moveset, I personally think the optimal name would've been Duck Hunters.
I'm fine with either Duck Hunt or Duck Hunt Duo, though I'll refer to them as the latter due to having the PAL version. :p

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Um...I don't think it works that way. In their official "Tom and Jerry" looking art, it looks like they're friends for at least this game. Let's note that the Ice Climbers were just 1P and 2P colors, they never worked together until Smash
bro i wusnt serius

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
My favorite name is still Duck Hunt Dog, Duck Hunt Duo is 2nd favorite and Duck Hunt is the worst.

My reaction when if first saw it: AMAZING!!! I am so happy that the english version gets a proper name just like Ice Climber did.

Last edited:

EnigmaticKnight

Smash Apprentice
Duck Hunt Duo make more sense than Duck Hunt. Of course, I still called them Duck Hunt Dog.

Dan

Smash Lord
They should've just named him Duck Hunt Dog and called it a day. It's just the most natural name.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
There seems to be a broken base over the name of this character.
IMO, the dog by itself is the Duck Hunt Dog... the duck by itself is the Duck Hunt Duck... in both cases, "Duck Hunt" serves as an adjective to describe these animals... together, they are a team called Duck Hunt (in America)... or they are called the Duck Hunt Duo (in Europe) where "Duck Hunt" is an adjective to describe the duo.

Top Bottom