• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Offensive and defensive applications of foot+dj cancelling aka Psi dashing

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
I'm revisiting this after many many months. The tap jump is so hard. I may switch to jumping with X and sliding to Y. Time to kill my hands with hours of practice and finding out what works and what doesn't. PSI Dashing is the hardest tech I've ever tried to do except maybe some Yoshi stuff because his DJC is so different. I definitely think it's the most input intensive.

Anyone gotten consistent with this tech yet?
Yeah it's on the level of waveshining for me. It's one less input, but this has a lot more distance in the movements in comparison since the best way to get dair out is by going from Y to cstick down which takes a lot of speed.

I haven't put a ton of time into doing it with X -> Y, but i think you're better off splitting the two jumps between both sides of the controller with tap jump -> Y. If you don't balance the jumps between both sides you're going to have a really hard time stringing multiple psi dashes together as close to frame perfect as possible. Without tap jump it's also more difficult to perform from a standing position, since tap jump left or right automatically inputs left or right double jump, and it's easier to perform out of run because you just have to slide the control stick up a notch to start the sequence. I also had trouble getting the timing down for double jump between X and Y. Tap jump -> Y just feels more fluid as a motion once you map the button sequence in your head.

I definitely consider myself consistent with it (i think people consider consistent to be 99/100 successes?) and have incorporated it into my game since forever ago. I see ness as a micro spacing character so i try to use it to that end but that's such a high level realm of this game so it's hard for me to be that good of a player with my utilization of it if the rest of my game hasn't developed to the point that other ness mains are at.

Last edited:

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
There's a video in the OP.
I really need to make a new video. The one in the OP was from so ****ing long ago that it makes me laugh to watch it. It's just so...not smooth at all. But that's expected given how difficult it is to establish muscle memory for and since that was like a month after i developed this tech. I have gopro footage of like at least 20 sets to comb through for an application video...

Last edited:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Oh yeah I remember that tech. I was always skeptical that it had any merits over simply wavedashing, since you have to use your double jump and it's harder to execute on a human level.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
Oh yeah I remember that tech. I was always skeptical that it had any merits over simply wavedashing, since you have to use your double jump and it's harder to execute on a human level.
That's the obvious counter argument. People at tournaments who actually question my use of it always point that out, but they usually admit they were wrong when it's shown to them in gameplay. The ones that don't just continue to discredit ness anyway. Keep in mind that your only visual frame of reference of this tech, that you admit is difficult to execute consecutively and consistently, is from a video i made in december 2014.

Psi dashing is basically a fixed distance and has three different fixed distances, while wavedashing is more variable. Wavedashing cannot be used in the air like this can and psi dashing is more effective at landing on platforms than waveland. Wavedashing does not offer any kind of hurtbox manipulation like this does. Getting muscle memory for psi dashing aids in establishing muscle memory for ledge dashes which is the only way ness has to be invincible when getting back to the stage. Wavedashing takes more frames OOS vs psi dashing.

I said it before, but i can count the number of times that i have been caught with no jump on one hand due to using this. Those times were due to flubs or inappropriate situational usage.

Ness has always been a difficult and technical character to use. That doesn't mean his abilities have zero use. Being bad as a character doesn't mean his tech has zero use either.

More options are always better than less options.

Last edited:

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
I think it's 12 or 13 frame perfect. In reality it's not really a frame gain, but it's still an option.

I forgot to mention that psi dashing opens up shield dropping to be far easier. You can buffer it as soon as you land.

Top Bottom