• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Of the 1st Party Franchises That Only Have 1 Rep, Which One Do You WANT to Have a 2nd Rep the Most?

Of the 1st Party Franchises That Only Have 1 Rep, Which One Do You Want to Have a 2nd Rep the Most?

• Total voters

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
My choice is easily Wario, whether it's the Land or Ware series. The Wario franchise has tons of fun and original characters that can fit in Smash. And after 10 years of being the only character representing his franchise, Wario getting another rep wouldn't be controversial or detrimental to the roster at all. If I had to pick a character from Ware it would be Ashley, and if I had to pick one from Land then it's Captain Syrup. Either way I want Wario to get another character from his franchise.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Not really. Wario is tacked onto this series because the devs wanted to use a well known character to promote their new franchise. The ware characters have their own themed microgames and own lives, both of which Wario has nothing to so with. Wario sticks out like a sore thumb.
I meant the idea of putting mini-games in a Wario game.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Definitely Xenoblade for me, though only if the character is not Rex/Pyra/Mythra, or any combination of them. I'd rather not have a Xenoblade newcomer than have them.
Other than that, Splatoon.

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi -- aside from Captain Falcon, he's been the only sole representative of his franchise to be in all 5 Smash games.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Yoshi -- aside from Captain Falcon, he's been the only sole representative of his franchise to be in all 5 Smash games.
Personally, I still don't get why Yoshi isn't classified as a Mario character. I'm fine with DK and Wario's classification, but it's not like Yoshi feels distinct from the Mario franchise.

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I still don't get why Yoshi isn't classified as a Mario character. I'm fine with DK and Wario's classification, but it's not like Yoshi feels distinct from the Mario franchise.
True, Yoshi could be classified as a Mario character. But ever since the first games (Smash 64 and Melee), Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser have had a mushroom as their icon (symbol), and Yoshi has had an egg as his icon (symbol). Another example: in Smash 4, when Mario or Luigi wins, the "Super Mario" music theme plays, but when Yoshi wins, the "Yoshi's Story" music theme plays. I guess the game developers decided to give Yoshi his own identity (based on the Yoshi franchise, which spun off of the Mario franchise).

UserKev

Smash Champion
The aesthetic and enemies of Yoshi Island series are mostly different from the Mario series. Maybe Yoshi was classified apart of the Mario series at one point and can still be considered but Yoshi came to be entirely his own thing. This is why Yoshi gets a pass.

Nutty Sponge

Smash Apprentice
I know this will never happen, because XC2 exists... but ITS NEVER REYN TIME ANYMORE! I MISS REYN TIME :(

I'd love Reyn in smash, but all the characters from XC1 are going to be overshadowed by the more popular side characters like Pyra from XC2

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Timing is also a thing. Yoshi’s Story came out at the time of Smash, which could've led to Yoshi getting a unique symbol and all.

Just like Wario got one for WarioWare too. Them getting their own major series or at least a game that helps make them feel unique can contribute. Luigi was added way before Luigi's Mansion, for instance.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I see Yoshi's classification in Smash as a formality; he originally was and is a Mario character who occasionally happens to have a starring role in his own games while still making recurrent appearances in the main Mario titles. And I frankly don't get it when people ask for another Yoshi rep; the series isn't exactly teeming with characters to choose from: aside from green Yoshi, you have red Yoshi, black Yoshi, yellow Yoshi, blue Yoshi, etc. and the antagonists are recurring Mario enemies Kamek and an infant Bowser.

I think people advocate the idea to fill an arbitrary quota for the sake of having another character with an egg symbol, no matter who it is, but that's the Smash fanbase's self imposed idea of representation, I guess. They think of Yoshi as being alone when he isn't, as the Yoshi series is still very derivative of Mario and Yoshi himself has had recent appearances in Mario Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Bros. U and Super Mario Odyssey.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I know this will never happen, because XC2 exists... but ITS NEVER REYN TIME ANYMORE! I MISS REYN TIME :(

I'd love Reyn in smash, but all the characters from XC1 are going to be overshadowed by the more popular side characters like Pyra from XC2
Speculation on any Xenoblade newcomer that isn't any of those three from 2 is largely overshadowed. Which sucks, especially when considering that Elma at least still has a decent case for her. But hey, let's remember that Joker definitely didn't top any popularity charts for potential newcomers when he was announced.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I see Yoshi's classification in Smash as a formality; he originally was and is a Mario character who occasionally happens to have a starring role in his own games while still making recurrent appearances in the main Mario titles. And I frankly don't get it when people ask for another Yoshi rep; the series isn't exactly teeming with characters to choose from: aside from green Yoshi, you have red Yoshi, black Yoshi, yellow Yoshi, blue Yoshi, etc. and the antagonists are recurring Mario enemies Kamek and an infant Bowser.

I think people advocate the idea to fill an arbitrary quota for the sake of having another character with an egg symbol, no matter who it is, but that's the Smash fanbase's self imposed idea of representation, I guess. They think of Yoshi as being alone when he isn't, as the Yoshi series is still very derivative of Mario and Yoshi himself has had recent appearances in Mario Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Bros. U and Super Mario Odyssey.
The Yoshi games are prominent and distinct enough to be considered separate and his major appearances in the Mario games are irrelevant to that distinction. When I say I want Poochy in Smash, that is not "filling in a quota" as you put it and frankly that talking point is getting old. Even if someone wants Kamek, even if the decision is because he's a major antagonist in the Yoshi games, that's still a reflection of what he is in THOSE games rather than the Mario ones. They don't want him to fill in the "Yoshi quota," they want him because he's cool in their eyes THROUGH the Yoshi games.

Besides, this double standard against my boi having his own series goes beyond another rep. He doesn't even have his own items or Assist Trophies and that's very wrong...

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Besides, this double standard against my boi having his own series goes beyond another rep. He doesn't even have his own items or Assist Trophies and that's very wrong...
He kinda does, in the form of being a branch of the Mario-verse. You said that you are not filling a quota yet lament that he doesn't have items or assists of his own... sounds like quota-filling to me. If they changed the Chain Chom symbol from a mushroom to an egg, or if they'd label the Shell item differently, what difference would it make?

The Yoshi games are prominent and distinct enough to be considered separate and his major appearances in the Mario games are irrelevant to that distinction. When I say I want Poochy in Smash, that is not "filling in a quota" as you put it and frankly that talking point is getting old. Even if someone wants Kamek, even if the decision is because he's a major antagonist in the Yoshi games, that's still a reflection of what he is in THOSE games rather than the Mario ones. They don't want him to fill in the "Yoshi quota," they want him because he's cool in their eyes THROUGH the Yoshi games.
They are distinct on their own, but their world still borrows heavily from Mario. The games feature Shy Guys, Lakitus, Koopas, Boos, Chomps, Bullet Bills, Piranha Plants. etc. and the main enemies are the same as Mario. Yoshi also retains his signature ability of swallowing enemies, but admittedly the concept was expanded in his titles and the rest of the abilities are original from the Yoshi Island series.
And do you want Poochy (not my first choice of a character but whatever) because of who he is or because you'd get to have another guy with the egg symbol thus fulfilling a representation role that's mostly fan made? Not anything against the little guy, but if tomorrow Sakurai and Nintendo decided to add ten more characters, they would exhaust a pool of plausible choices before reaching Poochy.

Let's also pretend that Yoshi always had the mushroom symbol since day one and that everything else is the same. Would people clamor for another Yoshi character so that he isn't "alone" anymore? Would people say he is part of the Mario crew then because he has the same drawing the have? Interesting how something as innocuous as an egg symbol that serves as a formality messes with people's heads.

I still stand by my point that Yoshi isn't really alone; some may say that's not the case because we gotta have some victim complex thrown into the mix, right?

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I don't really want Kamek for the opposite reason I don't want Waddle Dee.

One's a name without a character and one's a character without a name.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
He kinda does, in the form of being a branch of the Mario-verse. You said that you are not filling a quota yet lament that he doesn't have items or assists of his own... sounds like quota-filling to me. If they changed the Chain Chom symbol from a mushroom to an egg, or if they'd label the Shell item differently, what difference would it make?

They are distinct on their own, but their world still borrows heavily from Mario. The games feature Shy Guys, Lakitus, Koopas, Boos, Chomps, Bullet Bills, Piranha Plants. etc. and the main enemies are the same as Mario. Yoshi also retains his signature ability of swallowing enemies, but admittedly the concept was expanded in his titles and the rest of the abilities are original from the Yoshi Island series.
And do you want Poochy (not my first choice of a character but whatever) because of who he is or because you'd get to have another guy with the egg symbol thus fulfilling a representation role that's mostly fan made? Not anything against the little guy, but if tomorrow Sakurai and Nintendo decided to add ten more characters, they would exhaust a pool of plausible choices before reaching Poochy.

Let's also pretend that Yoshi always had the mushroom symbol since day one and that everything else is the same. Would people clamor for another Yoshi character so that he isn't "alone" anymore? Would people say he is part of the Mario crew then because he has the same drawing the have? Interesting how something as innocuous as an egg symbol that serves as a formality messes with people's heads.

I still stand by my point that Yoshi isn't really alone; some may say that's not the case because we gotta have some victim complex thrown into the mix, right?
The "quota-filling" argument is an attempt to de-personalize wants and preferences. "I want these things in Smash because I love the series it comes from" sounds a lot more inarguable and less aggressive than "These things should be here to fit my specifications." You're not even trying to quantify objective statements (which I'd agree with you on, even for the topic of Yoshi's representation), you're trying to quantify personal feelings. You're trying to presume people's motives and intent when you use that argument and sadly it's working. You're not the only user make that argument.

But while I'm on the subject of "objectivity," here's one little bit of fact: Yoshi is a separate series in Smash. You can have your personal opinions on that fact as do I, but it's still fact. I see way too many people ignore it as it's inconvenient as a serious consideration for it's role in Smash. And just saying that Yoshi's series is just Mario leads to the ugly counterpart of your "quota-filling" argument: there's too many fighters from that series. It's a handy tool of dismissal, but it still requires you to bend the facts. It's not just the "egg drawing" as you dismissively put it. It's the amount of content pulled from those Yoshi games into Smash that otherwise wouldn't have been pulled. And you make it sound like it's not as preferable or at least neutral to what would happen if Yoshi wasn't separate. Regardless of what you think of a second Yoshi rep, is it really all that disagreeable to want more content from those games if it's a direct result of the separation?

And about that "what if scenario," EVEN if that were true, I would still at least clamor for at least one item or Assist Trophy from those games because they deserve to be noticed at least in that capacity. Maybe one stage too. It's not as black and white as you put it. It's like the people clamoring for Wario Land content. Because it's all put under one "Wario" series it results in the preference of one over the other and I don't have to remind you how people feel about that. Just because you think people would "shut up" about things if you put it all under one banner doesn't mean it'll happen. Hell, Kamek might even be MORE requested at that point as there'd be no confusion regarding divisional roles.

Also thanks for presuming my opinions on Poochy. I only care about the dinosaur and not ANY OTHER ASPECT OF THOSE GAMES.... :yoshi:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
The lack of more Yoshi characters in Smash is a direct result of the Yoshi series games (and the designers thereof) absolutely denying any character uniqueness in the franchise. Kamek is nothing but a magikoopa who happens to have a name, Poochy has no character or notable abilities, and every other character in the franchise is a recolored Yoshi.

Asking for a second Yoshi character in Smash is comparable to asking for a second Game & Watch character. There isn't one, and it's 100% the fault of the devs.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
The "quota-filling" argument is an attempt to de-personalize wants and preferences. "I want these things in Smash because I love the series it comes from" sounds a lot more inarguable and less aggressive than "These things should be here to fit my specifications." You're not even trying to quantify objective statements (which I'd agree with you on, even for the topic of Yoshi's representation), you're trying to quantify personal feelings. You're trying to presume people's motives and intent when you use that argument and sadly it's working. You're not the only user make that argument.

But while I'm on the subject of "objectivity," here's one little bit of fact: Yoshi is a separate series in Smash. You can have your personal opinions on that fact as do I, but it's still fact. I see way too many people ignore it as it's inconvenient as a serious consideration for it's role in Smash. And just saying that Yoshi's series is just Mario leads to the ugly counterpart of your "quota-filling" argument: there's too many fighters from that series. It's a handy tool of dismissal, but it still requires you to bend the facts. It's not just the "egg drawing" as you dismissively put it. It's the amount of content pulled from those Yoshi games into Smash that otherwise wouldn't have been pulled. And you make it sound like it's not as preferable or at least neutral to what would happen if Yoshi wasn't separate. Regardless of what you think of a second Yoshi rep, is it really all that disagreeable to want more content from those games if it's a direct result of the separation?

And about that "what if scenario," EVEN if that were true, I would still at least clamor for at least one item or Assist Trophy from those games because they deserve to be noticed at least in that capacity. Maybe one stage too. It's not as black and white as you put it. It's like the people clamoring for Wario Land content. Because it's all put under one "Wario" series it results in the preference of one over the other and I don't have to remind you how people feel about that. Just because you think people would "shut up" about things if you put it all under one banner doesn't mean it'll happen. Hell, Kamek might even be MORE requested at that point as there'd be no confusion regarding divisional roles.

Also thanks for presuming my opinions on Poochy. I only care about the dinosaur and not ANY OTHER ASPECT OF THOSE GAMES.... :yoshi:
You are right, maybe I am depersonalizing wants and preferences and quantifying personal feelings, but that's often because usually the reasoning for those wants are something along the lines of "Hey, Yoshi is looking pretty lonely there, so let's add a 2nd rep then!".

I don't disagree with you about having more content; if they feel like adding something more from whatever series that would always be welcome in my book without any objections. I simply dislike the basic principle on adding someone because a group of people decided to project themselves upon the game and keep a headcount of how many fighters each series has, and that the devs making it must/should/are obligated to comply to their request.

A second Yoshi character is by no means an obligation but its not unwelcome. That doesn't mean that there is anything inherently wrong if Yoshi stays like that. And while I don't mind another stage, Yoshi has 4 already (one is from Super Mario World of course) so he is not really starving for more.

Last edited:

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
But while I'm on the subject of "objectivity," here's one little bit of fact: Yoshi is a separate series in Smash. You can have your personal opinions on that fact as do I, but it's still fact.
This is true. Whatever one's opinion is, the fact remains that Yoshi is part of a separate series in Smash. (Which is why the "Yoshi's Story" music theme plays when Yoshi wins a match).

As far as Poochy is concerned, if Piranha Plant can make it into Smash, so could Poochy. In fact, before Piranha Plant was revealed as a DLC fighter, the YouTuber Introspektive listed a Piranha Plant as one of the fighters in his list of 500 highly-improbable fighters he wanted to see in Ultimate.

Though, it would be better if Poochy had his own game first (i.e. a game he starred in), which would increase his notability if such a game ever came out. If Poochy ever made it into a Smash game as a playable fighter, I'd still main Yoshi though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom