• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Odd Consequence of CharacterCollision

Pretzl

Smash Rookie
I was messing around with a friend when we found the following:

Plug in 2 controllers, one Falco and one Marth

Place the Falco at the right edge of a platform facing inward. (easiest by rolling right)

Have the Marth slowely walk into the Falco, then increase speed until running. To do this, you must begin by walking VERY slowely.

You should see Marth running at a full sprint on the edge of the platform while Falco just kinda chills out.

Do this for the other side of the platform, and it does not work. Marth will run straight off the platform.

Oddly enough, if you reverse the rolls and have Marth stand on the right ledge of the platform and the falco run/walking, the falco will run off the platform, similar to when you attempt to do the trick with Marth on the left edge of the platform. If you repeat w/ Marth on the left and Falco running, the trick will work, however.

Conclusion? I think this has to do with Marth left shoulder, which sticks out at a kinda odd angle, colliding with Falco's head. What do yall think?

kingPiano

Smash Ace
Well actually hitbox is the right term as well, hurtbox is just a type of hitbox like a square is a type of rectangle. In the coding it's just calculated as different types of hitboxes overlapping that registers a hit (hurtbox is a nickname for damageable hitboxes).

Last edited:

Pretzl

Smash Rookie
But which actually dictates character collision, the hitbox or the hurtbox or neither?

kingPiano

Smash Ace
But which actually dictates character collision, the hitbox or the hurtbox or neither?
There are many different types of hitboxes and hitbox interactions (two damage hitboxes, grab hitbox and damageable hitbox, intangible hitbox and damage hitbox, etc). There technically isn't anything actually called a hurtbox that is slang for a damageable collision area (hitbox) but either is right since it's a common term now.

When a Damage hitbox and Damageable hitbox collide that is what registers as a hit, and sometimes you get weird results from those as well like phantom hits if they collide tangentially and certain points.

To get even more technical they are usually called colliders and collision relationships on a programming level. And the different types and behaviors are governed by object oriented programming parent.child data structures for each character and each "hitbox" type.

AirFair

Marth tho
Character collision sounds more like something to do with the properties of the character model itself, thought honestly, I don't really look into it that much so I can't say that for sure.

SAUS

Smash Ace
I don't know all the details, but I think the only collision characters can have with anything comes from their environment collision box (ECB) which is an orange diamond that changes shape as the character does different things. I don't know how it works with characters colliding with characters though.

I have no idea why it would work on one side and not the other. When you switch which way you are facing, the animations are the exact same. If you put the camera on the other side of the stage and turned a character around, it would look exactly the same. Switching sides and flipping the camera would look the exact same as keeping the same side and not flipping the camera, so there should be no difference lol.

D

Deleted member

i dont think marths shoulder has an individual hurt box so i dont think that the shoulder is the problem because if 20xx and pm debug have taught me anything is that most hurt boxes are circular and not 100 percent accurate and match character model.

Top Bottom