• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Obscure Characters You Wish Were In

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Banjo-Kazooie: Remember when Rareware was an epic, and often innovative, game developer? What a fall from grace to being limited to Kinnect Games. But I digress... Banjo Kazooie brought a fun mix of platforming, collecting, and humor to the N64. I'd like to see it represented here. Unfortunately, Microsoft know owns the rights to this duo and this has no chance of happening.
Believe it or not, I still have hope for these two. Nintendo has been more welcoming to third parties, especially those relevant to Nintendo history, so I could see them in if there was a huge fan outcry (Which is how Megaman made it in!). Furthermore, most companies (See Capcom and Konami) KNOW that Smash is a goldmine, and it gives their characters some serious representation, so I guess that part would depend on how stubborn Microsoft would be. That said, I'm not going to pretend that it's super likely and get my hopes up, but I'm also probably never going to assume that their inclusion is completely, 100% dead.

***EDIT*** Sorry about the accidental double post. Xl please don't kill me based mods.

Last edited:
3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Banjo-Kazooie: Remember when Rareware was an epic, and often innovative, game developer? What a fall from grace to being limited to Kinnect Games. But I digress... Banjo Kazooie brought a fun mix of platforming, collecting, and humor to the N64. I'd like to see it represented here. Unfortunately, Microsoft know owns the rights to this duo and this has no chance of happening.
Believe it or not, I still have hope for these two. Nintendo has been more welcoming to third parties, especially those relevant to Nintendo history, so I could see them in if there was a huge fan outcry (Which is how Megaman made it in!). Furthermore, most companies (See Capcom and Konami) KNOW that Smash is a goldmine, and it gives their characters some serious representation, so I guess that part would depend on how stubborn Microsoft would be. That said, I'm not going to pretend that it's super likely and get my hopes up, but I'm also probably never going to assume that their inclusion is completely, 100% dead. Conker is the one who I assume has no chance of happening in Smash. XD

***EDIT*** Sorry about the accidental double post. Xl please don't kill me based mods.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Well Exuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me Azure, but do you know how much not okay is in that sentence?
It's just a little joke since this is something that's bound to happen to any attractive Nintendo character on the web. This is the Smash fanbase after all, so anything is possible. :p

While there is the whole "originating from a video game rule", this guy should be a great exception to that rule since he fits that "Nintendo All Stars" vibe and he is actually a Nintendo character (Other than the Nintendo Power mascot Nester) despite his TV Show origin. Duck Hunt isn't enough zapper representation and we need the OG Nintendo game master to join the battle.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
It's just a little joke since this is something that's bound to happen to any attractive Nintendo character on the web. This is the Smash fanbase after all, so anything is possible. :p

While there is the whole "originating from a video game rule", this guy should be a great exception to that rule since he fits that "Nintendo All Stars" vibe and he is actually a Nintendo character (Other than the Nintendo Power mascot Nester) despite his TV Show origin. Duck Hunt isn't enough zapper representation and we need the OG Nintendo game master to join the battle.
Indeed. Both Nester and Captain N are characters that would be welcome in my book. And yeah, I guess on the internet, everybody is shipped with everybody, aren't they? Now, If you'll excuse me, I'll have to finish up my Bowser Jr. X R.O.B the robot fanfic.

Troykv

Smash Master
Obscure characters... Hmm...

Most of the characters I like to see are from Fire Emblem :colorful:

Except for Adeleine :awesome:

ϟPlazzapϟ

Smash Apprentice
Imajin

Heracles from Glory to Heracles (yes that is a 1st party game made by nintendo that got like 4 installments)

DeMille

Diver from Endless Ocean

Virus trio

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Believe it or not, I still have hope for these two. Nintendo has been more welcoming to third parties, especially those relevant to Nintendo history, so I could see them in if there was a huge fan outcry (Which is how Megaman made it in!). Furthermore, most companies (See Capcom and Konami) KNOW that Smash is a goldmine, and it gives their characters some serious representation, so I guess that part would depend on how stubborn Microsoft would be. That said, I'm not going to pretend that it's super likely and get my hopes up, but I'm also probably never going to assume that their inclusion is completely, 100% dead. Conker is the one who I assume has no chance of happening in Smash. XD

At this point Banjo-Kazooie aren't even 3rd party... they are owned by the makers of a competing console

If I understand my gaming history correct (and there is an excellent chance that I don't) Nintendo bought 49% of Rareware a bit before Donkey Kong was made, and thus they became a 2nd party developer.

Microsoft somehow arranged a deal to buy all of it... I suspect (and this is where I have the most chance of being wrong) that Microsoft made the deal to buy 51% at which point Nintendo figured no point owning their portion when the controlling interest was owned by the makers of the Xbox. So they sold the rest, allowing Microsoft to become full owners, but made the deal to take publishing rights to games involving characters they have the Intellectual Property (IP) rights to.

Nintendo got the publishing rights to the Donkey Kong Country Series... among others I think.

Microsoft got Banjo-Kazooie. (along with Conker, Jetpack, among others) Both the old N64 games have been released on the Xbox 360 and they released an alleged sequal in Nuts and Bolts.

Unfortunately, this has left some games in no man's land. Donkey Kong 64 can't be released by Microsoft because of the Donkey Kong IP, and Nintendo can't re-release it because of the Jetpack game needed to collect the Rareware coin... I don't think they are even allowed to use that logo anymore. And there are some pictures of charters now owned by Microsoft. Needless to say Microsoft can't release a game based around IP that has always belonged to Nintendo. (At least not till they hit public domain.... but I don't think that happens in the lifetime of anyone reading this.)

Diddy Kong Racing is also unreleasable. Diddy Kong is Nintendo property, but Banjo, Conker, and the rest of the roster (I think) belongs to Microsoft.

Obviously sequald can be created without the opposing company's IP.

With that said Rareware did make some games on the Nintendo handhelds after the purchase... which Microsoft allowed because it wasn't in the handheld market. They still aren't I don't think... but I doubt a deal get's struck here now.

I'm sorry I veered on a major tangent...

But the point unless Microsoft either exits the console market, or sells Rareware and the IP that goes with it to either Nintendo or a company willing to work with them... Banjo-Kazooie isn't appearing in smash. I don't think the makers of the Xbox want their IP on a Wii U game... nor do I think Nintendo would want to put IP in that otherwise is exclusive to a competitor. I don't see either happening.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
At this point Banjo-Kazooie aren't even 3rd party... they are owned by the makers of a competing console

If I understand my gaming history correct (and there is an excellent chance that I don't) Nintendo bought 49% of Rareware a bit before Donkey Kong was made, and thus they became a 2nd party developer.

Microsoft somehow arranged a deal to buy all of it... I suspect (and this is where I have the most chance of being wrong) that Microsoft made the deal to buy 51% at which point Nintendo figured no point owning their portion when the controlling interest was owned by the makers of the Xbox. So they sold the rest, allowing Microsoft to become full owners, but made the deal to take publishing rights to games involving characters they have the Intellectual Property (IP) rights to.

Nintendo got the publishing rights to the Donkey Kong Country Series... among others I think.

Microsoft got Banjo-Kazooie. (along with Conker, Jetpack, among others) Both the old N64 games have been released on the Xbox 360 and they released an alleged sequal in Nuts and Bolts.

Unfortunately, this has left some games in no man's land. Donkey Kong 64 can't be released by Microsoft because of the Donkey Kong IP, and Nintendo can't re-release it because of the Jetpack game needed to collect the Rareware coin... I don't think they are even allowed to use that logo anymore. And there are some pictures of charters now owned by Microsoft. Needless to say Microsoft can't release a game based around IP that has always belonged to Nintendo. (At least not till they hit public domain.... but I don't think that happens in the lifetime of anyone reading this.)

Diddy Kong Racing is also unreleasable. Diddy Kong is Nintendo property, but Banjo, Conker, and the rest of the roster (I think) belongs to Microsoft.

Obviously sequald can be created without the opposing company's IP.

With that said Rareware did make some games on the Nintendo handhelds after the purchase... which Microsoft allowed because it wasn't in the handheld market. They still aren't I don't think... but I doubt a deal get's struck here now.

I'm sorry I veered on a major tangent...

But the point unless Microsoft either exits the console market, or sells Rareware and the IP that goes with it to either Nintendo or a company willing to work with them... Banjo-Kazooie isn't appearing in smash. I don't think the makers of the Xbox want their IP on a Wii U game... nor do I think Nintendo would want to put IP in that otherwise is exclusive to a competitor. I don't see either happening.
All fair points. Like I said, I'm not really hopeful, but I'm not entirely hopeless. That said, I'm not exactly going to feel disappointed if it never happens.

Ultresmasher5

Smash Journeyman
Gunvolt from Azure Striker Gunvolt
Sash Lilac from Freedom Planet
Beck from Mighty No. 9

Braydon

Smash Ace
Gengar!
Neutral special, Hypnosis: Fires a short range projectile that deals low damage and puts enemies to sleep for a short time, deals knockback and no sleep if target is air born.

Side special, Lick: Gengar sticks out his tongue and licks anyone next to him, deals low damage but has a paralyzing effect. Has a very small fixed knock up so it can't be chained back into hypnosis sleep.

Down special, Disable: Works like a counter, if an enemy hits gengar they will be unable to use the attack they hit him with for 20 seconds.

Up special, Vanish: Fairly standard teleport up special, deals no damage when vanishing but deals moderate damage on reappear.

Scyther
Powerful arials and high air speed, but weak ko power.

Neutral special, X-Scissor: Powerful charge attack

Side special, False Swipes: Incredibly fast attack that deals low damage with no knock back, just like in pokemon it can't kill, but it's so fast it can be slipped in between other attacks fairly easily.

Up special, Arial Ace: Flys up at an angle before slashing anyone nearby

Down special, Double Team: Teleports a short distance, similar to metaknight's dimensional cape but with no attack, exists purely for evasive purposes.

Quilava
I heard some people saying they wanted typhlosion but he seems to clumsy with his stubby little arms an legs to be a brawl fighter. Quilava could work like a semi-clone of pickachu, mostly behaving as a faster weaker pickachu with alternate specials.

Neutral special, Flamethrower: works like charizard's but faster, weaker, with a longer range, and less duration.

Side special, Swift: Short ranged projectile, passes through shields and deals low damage.

Down special, Fire Spin: Jumps a short distance up and spins, enemies hit will be sucked in and then spit out, can be charged if used on the ground.

Up Special, Quick Attack: Shorter range than pickachu's quick attack but deals more damage with a larger hitbox.

sandslash

Smash Apprentice
Snow Bros Nick and Tom. Or one or the other. Amazing game could have a cool mario ice climber mix moveset.
Pico- love some z fero
Shantae- really starting to warm up to the idea of shantae

Burruni

Smash Hero

The Demon Hunting Duo - Donbe & Hikari

Text-Adventure kind of character from the NES whose game got a song remixed, one of few japan-exclusive games to get a trophy in Melee, got brought up in Captain Rainbow, could be anotther partners-in-battle set up like Icies... I'd love em in.

Foxy Alopex

Smash Ace
NNID
Foxy_Alopex
The Shadow Queen from Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Machoke from Pokémon
Leon from F-Zero
Cheetahmen from The Cheetahmen
Pauline from Mario vs Donkey Kong 2
Captain Rainbow
Shovel Knight

SirCamp

Smash Ace
So many! Lip, Mallo, Marina, Goemon, Captain Syrup, Ashley/Mona/someone from wario ware.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
The Demon Hunting Duo - Donbe and Hikari
Finally! Actual obscure Nintendo characters. I was beginning to wonder if any of you knew what obscure even means.

Well, a lot of of the older posts did mention a ton of obscure characters.

Last edited:

slambros

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'd go with Donbe & Hikari initially. Though the omission of the Ice Climbers worries me...

How about Clay & Ace from Mario Tennis GBA? They could represent a Mario Sports game.

Also, Great Tiger from Punch Out. He could put a magic spin on Little Mac's move set.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
To me, obscure means coming from a less popular game, a Japan only game, or a really old game.

If the game is super popular and everyone played it than the characters in it aren't obscure.

Top Bottom