• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Obscure Characters You Wish Were In

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
I still say Adon and/or Samson from Cho Aniki.

The Small Cheez

Smash Rookie
I'm kinda stunned that Simon Belmont still isn't in it.......
I'd love to see Crono from Chrono Trigger and Goemon from Mystical Ninja

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
Skull Kid, Petey Piranha, and Ghirahim are some characters that probably won't ever get in, but I can still dream, right?

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Sheriff is one of my most wanted characters, but even with his recent Assist Trophy appearance, only the Nintendo devout know anything about the game.

Isaac is another choice. He's not an unpopular pick, but Golden Sun is pretty obscure to the general public, as far as Nintendo IPs go.

Segaguycrazy

Smash Rookie

Alis Landale to represent the Phantasy Star series, personally speaking. Considering the fact that she's also a forerunner of being one of the first female protagonists and, in the RPG genre no less.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
If you can't find it's also on the Wii VC.
It's more or less if the game runs on Windows 7 since my laptop doesn't have an optical drive, but I could get an external one. The other issue is stability since I remember that I own a couple of games that aren't stable for some reason like Black & White's expansion.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
I would also say Tharja.

Just to see how the waifu crowd reacts.

PlTe

Smash Journeyman
Anna (Fire Emblem), Prince Sable, Mallo (Pushmo), and Takamaru.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
Almost Completely Obscure:
  • Chubby Snow (Mission in Snowdriftland)
  • Stanley (Donkey Kong 3)
Relatively Obscure:
  • Captain Syrup (Wario Land)
  • Ditto (Pokemon - Would Replace Random but function the same - Would have his own Intro and Victory Screen, however - on select could potentially toggle character change after every stock or match)
Third Party Obscure:
  • Pipo Snake (Ape Escape 3: Mesal Gear Solid)

Kirby's animal pals not being anywhere in SSB kind of upsets me. Oh, I think I remember there being a Rick trophy in Melee... but then that's it :C

It would be stellar to play as them. In my mind, Rick is using Kine the fish as a gun, and has Coo the owl perched on his head to assist with recovery. Hopefully that idea isn't diluted by Duck Hunt doing a similar thing.

Last edited:

Selenite

Smash Cadet
What system has Prof. Layton appeared on besides the 3DS? I'm not arguing I'm just curious.
The iOS and Android. It's not a question of what system it's a question of who's publishing the games. Level-5 publishes the games in Japan so he's Level-5 property. Even publishing doesn't grant ownership of the IP if Devil's Third is to be believed.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Selenite said:
Even publishing doesn't grant ownership of the IP if Devil's Third is to be believed.
thanks for letting me know that Prof. Layton has appeared on phones, but I thought 1st to 3rd parties worked like this

1st party: Owned by a company, exclusive to consoles owned by that company.
2nd party:Owned by a company, exclusive to the consoles owned by a different company.
3rd party: Owned by a company, and has been on systems varying from company to company/no correlation with another company.

Selenite

Smash Cadet
thanks for letting me know that Prof. Layton has appeared on phones, but I thought 1st to 3rd parties worked like this

2nd party:Owned by a company, exclusive to the consoles owned by a different company.
3rd party: Owned by a company, and has been on systems varying from company to company/no correlation with another company.
Mario has appeared on Atari consoles, Link has appeared on Phillips CD-i, and Pokemon has appeared on iOS, OS X, and Microsoft Windows. It's complicated and isn't as straightforward as some may think.

Edit: Then there is also Arcade Games that needs to be taken into account such as Luigi's Mansion Arcade.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

its got nothing to do with what consoles they appear on its to do with who owns the rights only level-5 own the rights to layton there for its third party

a smart guy

Smash Journeyman
The distinctions for first and third parties are fairly straightforward. A first party game is an IP that is owned by Nintendo and produced by Nintendo (Mario, Zelda, etc). A third party game is an IP that is not owned by Nintendo, and not produced by Nintendo (Sonic, Megaman). Even if the character is exclusive to Nintendo systems, Nintendo does not have the rights to use that character. Examples of these include Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton. Even though they were originally exclusive to Nintendo systems, they were not owned by Nintendo. For instance, Phoenix Wright is owned by Capcom, and Professor Layton is owned by Level 5 games.

The term a second party game was invented by the community, and so the definition varies. The general consensus is a second-party character is from an IP that is created by a separate company, but was commissioned by Nintendo. Nintendo owns the rights for that character, but doesn't actively participate in the making of that game. For instance, Mario spinoff titles like Mario Golf and Mario Tennis are second party games. Nintendo licensed out their characters to someone else, but Nintendo had the final say on how the characters were to be used.

However, this can bring up a gray area. If an original character is created by a second party, does Nintendo own the rights to that character? Well, it depends on the situation. For instance, Waluigi was created by Camelot studios for Mario Tennis, a second party game. However, he has quickly become a Nintendo property, and no one doubts his inclusion as an Assist Trophy in Super Smash bros. On the other hand, King K. Rool was created for the Donkey Kong Country series, which was created by Rare, at the time a Second-Party developer for Nintendo. However, Rare was bought out by Microsoft, and King K. Rool's ownership was never clarified. This has lead to him not appearing in the two most recent games in the series, which has transitioned to being developed by a first-party studio in Nintendo.

Generally speaking, a new second party IP comes into being when a company sells the rights of a game to Nintendo, in exchange for funding and development expertise. These games are actually more common than you would think. For instance, Kirby was developed by HAL Laboratories, which is not actually owned by Nintendo. Skip ltd. the creators of Chibi-Robo, are not owned by Nintendo either, but they sold the rights to Chibi-Robo to Nintendo, and thus Chibi-Robo has appeared as a trophy in Brawl and SSB4. Another recognizable second-party character is Dillon, who was developed by Vanpool for Nintendo. Adding to the confusion, Nintendo has a stake in some companies, but not a majority share. For instance, Nintendo owns 32% of the Pokemon Company. Not enough to completely control it, but enough to ensure it will continue to get the rights to the valuable Pokemon IP.

Honestly, the debate over a lack of second party characters is kind of pointless. Shulk is a character from an obscure Japanese RPG. He could be labeled as a second-party character, since he was created by Monolith Soft. However, Nintendo owns 97% of that company, so it would be more accurate to say that he was a first party character. In contrast, Super Smash Brothers, which is a hodgepodge of Nintendo franchises, is a second party IP. It was created by HAL laboratories, and then transfered to Sakurai's company, Sora ltd. SSB4 was developed by a second party (Sora ltd.) with help from a third party (Bandai-Namco) and then published by a first party (Nintendo). When people start talking about second-party characters, they generally mean characters from obscure Nintendo games. Unfortunately, some people don't do their research, and lump in characters that have appeared almost exclusively on Nintendo consoles, but are in fact not owned by Nintendo.

Let's look at another example. Level-5 studios, the creators of Professor Layton. Level-5 was originally a second party developer for Sony, working on titles like Dark Cloud. However, they decided to make bold move, and created Professor Layton. They decided not to sell the IP to Nintendo, and self-published the game on the DS. It was a commercial success, and Level-5 continues to make games in the series. Because they did not get rid of the IP, this has allowed them to publish the game on other platforms, such as the iPhone.

Generally speaking, second party studios aren't much different from first party studios. They still work closely with Nintendo, and in many cases, Nintendo owns most of their company. Often times, a studio is considered second-party as long as they keep saying they are second party. HAL Laboratories has been making Nintendo games for decades, yet they consider themselves second party.

TL,DR: Stop asking for more second-party characters. The lines between first and second parties never really existed in the first place. If a character is owned by Nintendo, he can be included in Smash. If you want more obscure characters included, petition for that instead.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
However, Rare was bought out by Microsoft, and King K. Rool's ownership was never clarified. This has lead to him not appearing in the two most recent games in the series, which has transitioned to being developed by a first-party studio in Nintendo.
when rare left nintendo kept all the rights to the DK series including k. rool hes appeared in games since the split and if he was still owned by rare he wouldnt have had trophies in the last bunch of smash games

the whole thing abut this being the reason for him not appearing in returns and tropical freeze is just something invented by the fans who cant believe that they wanted to use something new

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
Spongebob, from, guess what... Spongebob Squarepants.

What? He'd be perfect for Smash. Happy-go-lucky, doesn't take things seriously, and has an arsenal the size of Canada. Who wouldn't want that?

Delta Eternal

Smash Rookie
NNID
xXd3ltaXx
3DS FC
4210-4070-6504
The hunter from Monster Hunter! Each move could use a different MH weapon type e.g. fsmash could use the greatsword, neutral b could use the heavy bowgun with different charge levels firing different shot types, usmash could be an upward stab and shell with the gunlance, up b could be a pole-vault type move using the insect glaive.

Azew

Smash Lord
when rare left nintendo kept all the rights to the DK series including k. rool hes appeared in games since the split and if he was still owned by rare he wouldnt have had trophies in the last bunch of smash games

the whole thing abut this being the reason for him not appearing in returns and tropical freeze is just something invented by the fans who cant believe that they wanted to use something new
They'll always be in smash, in our dreams...

Laniv

Smash Champion
Lip (Panel de Pon)
Adeleine (Kirby)
Muddy Mole (Mole Mania)
Sablé Prince (The Frog For Whom the Bell Tolls)
Captain Syrup (Wario Land)
Any Rhythm Heaven character
Mona (WarioWare)
Savvy Stylist (Style Savvy)

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Not sure if 3rd parties count but
Endou Mamoru (Inazuma Eleven)

Last edited:

PF9

Smash Lord
Bubbles from Clu Clu Land. I would have Bubbles as a 3DS-exclusive DLC character to make up for the fact that the Ice Climbers would be Wii U-exclusive DLC, due to the technical limitations of the 3DS.

Cool Typhlosion

Smash Apprentice
The most obscure character i would like in would be Maxwell from Super ... Awesome nah?

If you never played Super Scribblenauts,he can spawn any word with any adjectives! The more the attack is charged,the more powerful adjectives it gets... AND IMAGINE THAT CUSTOM MOVES!!! *0*
You know there are 2 sequels on the 3ds And Wii U

TheJukeBox

Smash Rookie
Adeleine (Kirby)
Lip (Panel de Pon)
Gardevoir (Pokemon)

I Adore all 3 of these. Especially Lip!

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
EDIT: I posted before reading the thread... so this may not be in the same tone as others. But oh well.

The no chance at all category.

Banjo-Kazooie: Remember when Rareware was an epic, and often innovative, game developer? What a fall from grace to being limited to Kinnect Games. But I digress... Banjo Kazooie brought a fun mix of platforming, collecting, and humor to the N64. I'd like to see it represented here. Unfortunately, Microsoft know owns the rights to this duo and this has no chance of happening.

Jab: Banjo Punches
Side tilt: Kazooie Peck. Longer range than the punch less power.
Down Tilt: ?

Nair: Kazooie's triple peck thing.
Fair: A bit of a dive bomb move.
Bair: ?
Dair: Beak Bomb... but this needs something to differentiate it from Bowser Bomb and Shieks Dair.

I am not entirely sure about all the specials... Kazooie's egg launch is a good one... maybe even the bouncing one behind him as well.

Yoda: Very few things came from the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy that were good... but Yoda with a lightsaber was awesome. I can see him being a slow ground character with high air speed and great juggling and a good kill move there. Some things with the force as specials. But he is known more for movies than games so that probably wouldn't be deemed the best fit.

Cloud Strife: No history with Nintendo... but FFVII is one of my favorite games ever.

Long reaching sword, some ranged magic, and Omni Slash... (or they cold be mean and use Knights of Round and make time matches impossible to play with him.)

In the highly doubtful but please category:
Young Link from Majora's Mask: I am not talking Mellie young Link. Pay tribute to the mask mechanic. Deku, Goron, and Zora options. (Fierce Diety as Final Smash.) And make his link form play differently. I could see the use of an MP meter that feeds into transformations, certain specials, Ice, Fire, and Light Arrows, etc. Give him different striking patterns thank link with his As.

Goron would be a slower heavy KO character.

Deku is a lightweight quick with good recovery.

Zora is the speed option.

But... 3ds killed transforming characters it appears so I put this here instead of as a support thread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom