• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Now that the game is out, who are your REAL mains. Did you expect such a character?

Thebluecomet

Traveling the universe
on for glory I've been using link a character I almost never play,and surprisingly I have won most of my matches.

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
I unsurprisingly don't like Ness as much as I thought I would. He is pretty powerful, yes, but all the new characters are just so much fun to play that I've been focusing on them a lot more.

I admittedly like campy characters. Duck Hunt Dog and his pet duck, Quackers, are not just super cute and funny, but fun to play with as well. The special spam they can do is really fun, almost like a little minigame. I also like Pacman, the fire hydrant is great for mixing things up. Kirby can do major damage now and King DDD is slow but devastating, especially with the new zoning abilities from his side-B. It will take more time to really hone in 1 or 2 characters as my mains, but this is how I feel right now.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
well, i have the japanese release, but my most-played characters are :4duckhunt::4zss::4villager::4shulk:. so the question is what's been unexpected about this? let's see:

1. i'm surprised at :4duckhunt: and:4shulk:being there because i never really considered playing them much, ESPECIALLY shulk.
2. i'm surprised that i'm NOT playing very much :4zelda: despite her having my highest success rate online (according to my fight records) and having played her a ton since melee.

3. i'm surprised by how much i DISLIKE playing :4greninja:. he seemed like a potential bias-ruiner based on the pre-release vids and fighting against him is pretty cool... but i've tried to play him a few times and i just do NOT like the way he feels.

4. these things may change. i also like playing :4jigglypuff::4wiifit::4roy::4charizard::4lucina::4pit::4darkpit::4ness::rosalina: so it's possible things will change unexpectedly as i get more comfortable with these characters..

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I've been playing Rosalina a lot more than Mega Man, which is actually contrary to what I had planned, as indicated by my sig.

Sonic is a lot better in this game, so I also use him quite a lot. I like Mario a lot more than I ever could have anticipated, and Duck Hunt Duo is a surprise treat, whom I'm beginning to use more and more.

Solarman

Smash Cadet
:4megaman:I used him the most in the demo and his projectiles are great for pressuring opponents. His Airs are amazing especially slash claw(Bair) and his smashes are nice kill moves

:4littlemac:He is an absolute monster on the ground and can nab kills under 100%. His recovery is trash and his airs are garbage but everything else is 2 stronk

:4tlink:He is basically another version of :4megaman:but he can afford to get close more often. I still am sad is dair doesn't bounce

:4pacman:He is pretty different but the hydrant allows for dominant stage control and he has some nice kill moves namely the key which is easy to charge with the hydrant

Last edited:

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
adding to my list:

:4lucina:: I'm absolutely terrible with mart in every game he's in. I don't know what it is about Marth that makes me bad with him. Could be that I have terrible spacing. That's probably it. Anyway, Lucina was one of the characters I was excited for when I saw her. A marth clone that didn't know if you knew how to space or not? SIGN ME UP! When I first tried her..... I was completely unimpressed. Wasn't a lack of power or anything, I just thought I was bad with her. Trying her out online however, completely changed my tone. She's a solid fighter and I could really see her as a secondary or even a main. The only thing I don't like about her is her throws. They're just... bad -_-

Last edited:

DadPalindrome

Smash Cadet
NNID
DadPalindrome
3DS FC
3780-9241-3996
I went in full expecting to play Sheik, but oddly enough, I found myself not liking her at all and getting wrecked playing as her.

Right now, I'm really digging Little Mac, DHD, Ness and Pac-Man.

Little Mac is fantastic, and I love how quick and powerful he is. It's also fun totally wrecking the people who think I'm just another LM scrub. It's like they don't know what to do when I don't immediately try and rush them down and when I don't spam dash and jab.

I wasn't expecting to like Ness and DHD, because I honestly never liked playing zoning characters (it's why my Samus in 64 and Toon Link in Brawl are garbage lol). The only thing with DHD is that I find myself taking a long time to KO with him. I probably just have to get better and learn his close-range stuff, but his zoning game is fantastic. I totally find it easier to get in with Ness, and I'm really liking his buffs. I'm double excited about Ness because Mother is one of my favorite series of all time, and I'm glad I finally like him in a Smash.

Pac-Man is just tons of fun, even though I'm not too good with him. I have managed to score some wins with him though. I'll keep learning him as I go along.

Lil'Cinnamon

Smash Rookie
NNID
LilCinnamon
3DS FC
3840-6012-3636
Kirby, mainly. Started playing him in Brawl, and I love how he is in the 3DS game, so still, Kirby all the way. Has to be yellow one though. xD

I like some other characters though, I'll sometimes play Game & Watch, Falco, Toon Link, and maybe some others..

But I'm definitely a Kirby player, and he is my best character. Was expected, as I just love his play style.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
:4bowserjr: i supporter so of course i was going to try him, im also playing as :4link: again, didn't think that was ever going to happen again to be honest

Last edited:

Bittersweet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
eskay64
3DS FC
2449-5765-1828
I knew I was either going to main Shulk, Pac, or Ganon from the moment they each were revealed. As it turns out, I can't stop Shulking. Ganon was my main in Brawl, but for some reason I can't find my groove with him again. And Pac... just feels really awkward. :/

Geek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeektheMeek
I still stand on my previous main who I've been used to using for so much time: Peach. She is so easy to control and her movement is just perfectly fabulous. However, the thing I just don't like about most of the characters in the game is it's so obvious on who can win due to their recovery for the next attack. For example, Palutena is possibly the worst character to use during a match, because it takes so long for her to make her next move, leaving people taking huge advantage over her. That's how most tiers come into play, unfortunately, but hopefully there'll at least be some good Palutena players as time progresses. Possibly the most advantageous character out of everyone is ZSS, who I loved playing in the last game. Her speed is simply ridiculous and overpowered for so many characters. I remember playing Duck Hunt Dog for about 30 minutes, and it wasn't until I used ZSS where I beat him in less than two minutes. She's better than ever in this game, but I can just tell that she'll be overused in the near future, unfortunately (hope human nature proves me wrong). I also like using Wii Fit Trainer because it's practically a joke character. She's another person who can easily be controlled, however her smash attacks might take times to get used to. Sheik is another fast-moving characters, with quite damaging attacks, however I bet she'll be another top tier.

Mains - :4peach: :4wiifit: :4zss: :4sheik:

Avoidance - :4palutena: :rosalina: :4ganondorf: (these characters are hard to control; Palutena and Ganondorf are both sluggish, but I'm aware there are good Ganondorf fighters)

Even though I love using ZSS and Sheik, I might consider using them not that much, since they might become OP characters in the near future. I also hope that there'll be excellent Palutena fighters, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

:4littlemac: - First guy I played on start up. I really enjoy his play style and don't mind his lack of air game.

:4ness: - my old standby going all the way back to 64. Still rock solid. PL Thunder is still the most fun move of the game.

:4pacman: - a bit of a suprise to me. I thought I would be all about Mega Man, but I'm really not liking the blue bomber ( why don't his shots go all the way across the stage). PacMan is just sold and hits hard.

:4wario2: - My old Brawl main.. Though why they changed his side smashes I'll never understand.

:4zss: - I never cared about ZSS in Brawl, but I'm enjoying her moves in Smash 4 a lot. She's fast and has some good knock back.

Born in 1839...

Smash Apprentice
I don't have the 3DS game, but I played my friends copy of the game. Between fighting computers, and doing different online modes, I have played at least 60 matches. The only character I have selected so far is the default color Bowser. :4bowser: I was planning on doing this for now.

Last edited:

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
Villager was my most wanted newcomer by far, and I have really enjoyed playing as him/her. However, if they had not been in the demo, I think I would have not taken to them as much, since Pac-man is so much fun. I've enjoyed Palutena quite a bit as well, but Pac-man has been my go-to character all weekend and is such a blast with his fruit, hydrant, and ghost friends.

LULZ180

Smash Rookie
I knew that I wanted to learn Lucina in sm4sh, but I always thought I would mostly rely on Jiggs, as that's my 64 main.

Lucina can do TONS of stuff with aerials if you know what you're doing (or your opponent isn't trying), and that bair is so good for edgeguarding.

Morbi

Scavenger
Honestly, I should probably main Marth, Kirby, or Yoshi as I feel the most comfortable with them; however, I am not fond of any of them. I prefer Lucina, but Marth is clearly better suited to my play-style. I am not dropping Jigglypuff for Kirby either.

After actually trying the game, my real mains are: :4ganondorf:,:4jigglypuff:,:4drmario:, and :4lucina:.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Shockingly...I've fallen in love with both :4pit: and :4darkpit:. I really didn't expect to play them all that much but I love how they feel.

daneo2003

Smash Rookie
Expected to love: :4littlemac::4link::4wiifit::rosalina::4palutena::4shulk::4villager:
Loving: :4link::4palutena::4lucina::4myfriends::4marth::4shulk::4wiifit:
Gonna main: :4myfriends: (or any of the Fire Emblem characters really - they're so easy to use)
Gonna try harder with: :4palutena::rosalina::4shulk:

Not really feeling: :4greninja::4ganondorf::4sheik::4zelda:

Feeling like these are overpowered: :4zss::4littlemac:

Yay, my first post in this forum :)

evoxpisces

Smash Rookie
Pac-Man. He is awesome! Prior to release, I hoped Pac-Man would be good and I wanted him to be my main but honestly didn't know if I would like him at all. But I'm happy to say he is my favorite character so far. It's the first time in Smash history that a character I wanted to main prior to playing him actually turns out to be my main. I have no idea who I expected to be my main though. Maybe Diddy (who was my main in Brawl)

Last edited:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
:4shulk:Took a while to get use to just because his landing lag and animations for his attacks are kinda lengthy but I've finally found how to use him properly, especially against those freaking fast characters that roll around like crazy :p I love how versatile how can be! ^_^

:4robinm:He plays exactly how I expected him to play and I love it! He is a bit slow in turns of mobility but that's what Elfire is for. Really enjoying how he feels and am looking forward to using him more.

:4lucina:Another character that took some time to get use to, mostly because I've always avoided as playing as Marth in previous Smash Bros. games so getting the right feel for her was tricky. I absolutely LOVE her mobility and speed! She's such a fun character to use after I finally got the hang for her and I usually dominate with her online.

The jury is still out on :4darkpit: and :4drmario: as my two other mains. I'm finding they're play styles not as enjoyable as I thought they would be, which is sad because Mario is usually my main and Dark Pit is essentially replacing Pit due to his power. However, I just can't seem to get into these two characters for some reason or another. Oh well, there's plenty of other characters who I can main alongside my main three.

Potential Mains:

:4megaman:I used him quite a bit in the demo and really enjoyed his unique play style. He was yet another character that took some time getting used to but it was worth it. In a 1v1 match against a really tough Ness player, I was down a full stock and at 146%. I thought I was going to lose because I kept making stupid mistakes and wasn't able to read my opponent well enough. However, after using my crash bombs, metal blade and tornado spin to space and punish, I was able to make an incredible comeback and won the match! It was a match I will never forget and for that reason alone, I know Mega Man as a character is someone just waiting to be unlocked and used properly. I hope I'm up to the task.

:4villager:I HATED playing as the Villager in the demo. I just couldn't get use to his quirky play style and move set which frustrated me beyond belief. I thought I was barely going to use him in the full game and only use him when I had to. However, after watching a match I had with someone online in which they used the Villager so effectively, I actually wanted to put what I saw to practice. What resulted from that was a character that, when used effectively, can punish quite severally and has some great spacing options. It's funny how opinions can change so drastically and the Villager is a great example of that.

:4littlemac:I wasn't very fond of how Little Mac's air game and recovery sucked. That made me avoid him quite actively until I finally decided to give him a go online. Boy was I surprised at how fun he is to play with and easy to. The power and speed of this character is unreal and I really enjoy that! I just need to get my timing right with him and I should be able to dominate online hopefully :p

:4roy:I still have much to get used to with Roy but from the little I've played, he's yet another really fun character to play as and I love how versatile he is in terms of his options, both projective wise, spacing and close combat. I need more time to figure him out properly but I believe once I do, I shall be a force to be reckoned with.

:rosalina:After using her in Classic mode, I've really enjoyed how she plays. She's not the strongest but her mind games with Luma, amazing recovery, the ability to absorb projectiles are really making up for any weaknesses she might have. I didn't think I would ever use her just because she looked like a very difficult character to get use to and while she does have a learning curve, it's surprisingly not as steep as I thought it was going to be. I need more time with her to effectively see if I want to use her online but so far I'm enjoying her quite a bit.

:4pacman:I'm actually throughly surprised at how fun and easy Pac-Man is to play with. I was certain he was going to be yet another character with a high learning curve but he reminds me of Mr. Game and Watch somewhat in his floatyness and the way he moves so that helped me get a feel for him. I do really enjoy his projectile game and his Smash attacks. He's a character I need to put more time into to properly understand how he works but I feel like he can be a worthy candidate to be another character I main.

I Still have MANY characters to fully explore and enjoy so this list may change drastically but I'm loving how diverse and unique all the characters are. Even the clone characters feel different enough in my eyes and that's awesome! This is an absolutely HUGE roster so it will be some time before I can say for certain on who I will main. The great thing is, most if not all the characters are a such a blast to play with so I'm very much enjoying that. The same cannot be said of Brawl and it's roster but the improvements on the older characters and the unique and interesting newcomers are certainly making this the best Smash Bros. roster ever! ^o^

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I'm liking Rosalina and Bowser Jr. I mean LARRY more than I'm liking Shulk and Greninja which I didn't see happening.

Liking Robin and Wii Fit Trainer a lot too, as expected.

Pacman is my go to character for now.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
The more and more I play the more likely Palutena is looking to be my main. I also find myself gravitating towards :4littlemac::4dedede::4yoshi::4falcon::4samus::4wiifit: quite a bit to. Still not 100% on my main yet, but Palutena seems the most likely one at this point.

dmcAxle

Smash Rookie
Thought I'd like Greninja and I did.

Was interested in Palutena too but her defaults are just..eh..I need to try her more with the other custom specials.

Minuy600

Smash Apprentice
:4bowser:: He simply wrecks house. However, he does suck a bit in 1v1 matches, and that's where :4zelda: comes in. She's suprinsingly strong and has nice dodging tactics.

I'm still investing time into this or that character to see what suits me, but the best so far has been Bowser Jr. He maneuvers so comfortably, which is what drew me to characters like Ness and G&W in past games. I love the Mecha-Koopa bomb; I always let one go when my opponent is trying to recover onto the stage. The go-kart move is a good horizontal recovery and is awesome in Smash Run where he can just plow down enemies on a long, open stretch.

Specifically, I've been using the Lemmy alt. What a little goober.

RubilX15/Josh

Smash Rookie
Before today, I felt no one really suited me in this installment and I did not feel the character that suits me, but after I played classic mode with Jigglypuff, I found her playstyle to be very strategic and I like that so I started training with Jigglypuff so she can be my main.
My secondary is Toon Link and Kirby.

Spirst

I like :4greninja: a lot more than I even thought I would. I was expecting to like him a lot, but after trying, it's just so perfect. I almost always go for the stealthy assassin archetype in video games so this is very fitting. :4jigglypuff: and :4charizard: are up there too. :4jigglypuff: feels a lot better in this game and it's so satisfying to get an OoS rest. Her b-air is an interesting change as well and plus, her redesign is adorable. :4charizard: carries over from when I mained PT in Brawl though I don't use him as often as I use the other two.

I used :4wario: A LOT in Brawl but I'm just not feeling him much in Smash 4. I'm not sure if I'm just screwing it up, but the lack of being able to SH dair as an approach is really meh. I also don't like his new fsmash.

As for :4duckhunt:, another character I expected to use often, I still need a lot of time to get used to him. I really do like him as a character but the campy playstyle is something I need to adapt to.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Well, as usual, I'm having the most fun playing as :4falcon:. I don't think that will ever change. I even stood by him in Brawl (although I mixed in some Olimar and Snake).

I love the way they redesigned :4gaw: to be even truer to the source material, so I've been playing him a good bit.

I've always loved :4luigi:, but I just don't enjoy him in Brawl or Smash 4 as much as Melee. Still, I dabble.

I'm also thinking about dabbling in some :4jigglypuff: this time around. We'll see.

Last edited:

jamzthehedgehog

Smash Cadet
NNID
JamzTheHedgehog
I'm actually really liking Charizard... Flare blitz is so satisfying and recklessly cool when you catch someone with it. However Sonic feels so natural to... it even feels like his movement has had a buff, so yeah...

Kekezo

Smash Cadet
I still have no idea who I'm going to main. I like so many of the characters right now, and I've only disliked a few.
At the moment...
Favorites:
:4greninja:- Really fun character, probably my favorite. Strong smash attacks and good damage building too

:4littlemac:- Fun to smack people with
:4sonic:-Even more fun than in Brawl, better combos now
:4zss:-Liked in brawl, still fun.
:4diddy:- Mained in brawl, not really liking him as much as I used to, but I feel like he's growing on me as I figure out some combos for him..
:4robinm:- I'm not really one to play characters like this, but for some reason Robin is just fun to use.
:4kirby:- Main for most of my time playing smash bros, still good. Loving the hammer flip, not so much the aerial hammer.
:4falcon:- Feels a lot smoother than in brawl.
:4sheik:- Awesome damage building and combos, and good smash attacks. Really strong character.

Like: :4jigglypuff::4roy::4shulk::rosalina::4wario::4bowser::4dedede::4lucina::4wiifit::4marth::4mario::4falco::4fox::4palutena::4pit::4ganondorf::4peach::4pikachu:

Neutral: :4samus::4pacman::4charizard:

Meh:
:4lucario:
:4metaknight:-I've always sucked with MK, still the same.
:4link:

Not tried::4darkpit::4drmario::4duckhunt::4tlink::4villager::4myfriends::4luigi::4ness::4olimar::4rob::4gaw:

Dislike::4megaman:- Yeah... I despised him in the demo and haven't touched him since. Totally not my play style.

Chances are I'll end up primarily playing :4greninja:

Last edited:

sweq32

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sweq32
My mains ended up being :4greninja:, :4duckhunt:, :4ganondorf:, and :4sonic:.

I expected to love Greninja when he was first revealed, and I ended up loving him. I also love how Ganondorf was buffed since Brawl (a game where I used him a lot as well). I didn't expect to main Duck Hunt or Sonic but they're both fun to play as.

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
Probably my last post on here. So after finding the upteenth good character I'm good with, (I love this game with it's balanced characters.) I decided it would be best to stay with 3 characters only. So here they are.

:4palutena:: What is it about that makes me so good with her. I absolutely love using her. (Main)

:4lucina:: I've started not liking her as much. I don't know what it is about her but I cant seem to help not spamming certain moves. I'm still really good with her which is why she'll be my secondary. (Seconary)

:4lucario:: A relatively new addition, (As in I only tested him for about an hour online) I really love Lucario so far. I figured for a while that I was pretty good with lucario but I finally got the guts to use him online and I just...... WOW! (Main/secondary)

Last edited:

Beatness

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Beatness
3DS FC
5412-9896-3151
I'm really really loving :rosalina:, which I wasn't expecting at all.
But I still stick with my predicted mains of :4alph::4megaman: a lot of the time.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Ness didn't get too much buffs as I had expected. Yoshi is unexpedetedly great, though. Greninja surprised me the most though, I love finding new techs with him.

Renanri

Smash Cadet
NNID
RuriAri
3DS FC
1049-1229-2048
My signature has all of the characters that I wanted to play. Originally, I wanted :rosalina: to be my sole main... but, :4peach: slowly stole my heart when I started play her~ I just love how she hovers, her whole entire moveset is just... so lovely. :love:

Of course :rosalina: is still part of my main roster, alongside :4zss:, :4shulk:, :4palutena:, and :4greninja:. :4metaknight: is sort of falling out of favor for me unfortunately. :4lucario: is overpowered, so I use him as sparingly as possible!

BlazeBitz

Smash Rookie
Thought I'd use: :4wiremac: :4robinm::4iggy:, but I didn't feel them.
Who I am feeling tho, is :4yoshi:and:4peach:. Maybe Peach cause of shofu's video (been practicing with her tonight and she's awesome this time around). Besides, she still ***** slaps, so it's all good.
I also find myself doing really well (with friends) as:4miigun:, which I didn't see coming either. Finally, I want to try to get better at :4rob:(piced him up and have been trying to run with it

PsychicHero

Smash Rookie
:4pit: Pit had become one of my favorite Nintendo characters and his play style fits me like a glove. I love learning his combos.

:4myfriends:Ike was my old brawl main. He seems to get a lot of flak this game but I still like him. I want to learn his competitive game.

:4tlink:Nothing changed therefore not dropping.

:4shulk::4robinf: Didn't like them. Maining robin would force me to unlearn all the habits I've gained since 64. Shulk was boring felt way to clunky might retry later tho.

Top Bottom