• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Now on Discord and Twitter - Maverick Hunter Zero Support Thread

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Well happy that he's in in some way. It's a promotion from being just a regular trophy and Mii costume. Technically MM Zero version is still available, but not counting on it.

D

Deleted member

Well happy that he's in in some way. It's a promotion from being just a regular trophy and Mii costume. Technically MM Zero version is still available, but not counting on it.
Me neither. The MMX design was always the more iconic of the two, and the trophy from Smash 4 lists both X1 and Zero 1 as games he appeared in.

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
Yeah his mm zero is available so I kinda have hope for that in some way, it actually really hurted when I saw him deconfirmed but still glad he's acknowledged

D

Deleted member

Zero is my pick for the next Mega Man character to be playable in Smash. Obviously he's an assist trophy in Ultimate. But he covers both the X series without having to have another version of Mega Man playable, and he covers the Zero series. Both of which are the next most popular lines of Mega Man games after the original (though they would probably base his design off of his Mega Man X appearance).

We'll have to wait until the next game. But count me in as a Zero supporter.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
man I really want Zero. He has so many moves. I prefer his MMZ design so maybe we could get it.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Me and a friend went and made a Zero Discord server.

Link: https://discord.gg/ureDAjq
Congrats on the new Zero for Smash server and Zero for Smash Twitter, I hope both works out in the end.

man I really want Zero. He has so many moves. I prefer his MMZ design so maybe we could get it.
And yes, I like the MMZ design a lot. Not sure if both can be alts since it lacks the clunky mental parts the X version has.

Did we ever have alts of characters with severe drastic differences?

D

Deleted member

Edited the OP to contain links to both the Discord server and Twitter page. The latter can be found here.
Congrats on the new Zero for Smash server and Zero for Smash Twitter, I hope both works out in the end.
Thanks.
Did we ever have alts of characters with severe drastic differences?
Not that I can think of. Even alts like Radiant Dawn Ike and some of the gender variants aren't that different in terms of build.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
which is a shame because both designs are good.
Maybe, they could give him the Ridley treatment

Make an original design that combines elements of booth, although that depends on how well it would work

I haven't seen much fan interpretations that did both well.

NinjaSmash_414

Smash Rookie
Made a MM Zero stock icon for support.

That "Brave" datemine could be MM Zero. I'm hoping for it.

NinjaSmash_414

Smash Rookie
I see people made X's Zero movelist, but how about Mega Man Zero's movelist? He would have plenty to work with.

• Z-Saber
  • Z-Buster (Pistol model)
  • Shield Boomerang
  • Triple Rod
  • Chain Rod
  • Recoil Rods
  • Z-Knuckle
He also have Elemental Chips (fire, thunder, and ice) that can boost his weapons attacks when charged or give him new moves to use. I'm working on a movelist for him, with gifs if I can provide them.

Wall Jump: Yes

Normals:
Neutral A: His signature three slash combo

Tilts Attacks: Triple Rod - Hits in all directions.

Dash Attack:

Throw: Chain Rod - Similar to Link's grab.

------------------------------
Smash Attacks:
Side: Charged Z-Saber Blast

Up: Charged Triple Rod attack

Down: Charged Z-Knuckles

------------------------------
Special Moves:
Neutral B: Buster Shot/Tractor Shot

Side B: Gale Attack/Raikousen

Up B: Tenshouzan/Ryuenjin

Down B: Filter Shield/Ice Boomerang

Final Smash: WIP

Color pallets

Music pack:
Theme of Mega Man Zero*
Resistance - Mega Man Zero*
Neo Arcadia - Mega Man Zero*
Departure - Mega Man Zero 2*
Silver Wolf - Mega Man Zero 2*
Volcano - Mega Man Zero 3*
Water City - Mega Man Zero 3*
Reborn Mechanics - Mega Man Zero 3*
Esperanto - Mega Man Zero 4*
Everlasting - Mega Man Zero 4*

* = Official remastered

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I support Zero! I've been a huge Megaman fan for a long term. Although Zero is an assist trophy in Smash Ultimate, he still has a high chance of being playable in Smash 6. Since Isabelle and Dark Samus were assist trophies in Smash 4, and were promoted in the next game, I can literally see Zero and Knuckles being promoted to playable in Smash 6.

However, I'm not sure Zero would be a great 2nd Megaman Rep. But I still think he deserves to be playable. On the other hand I would be happy if Cutman became an assist trophy in Smash 6 when Zero becomes a playable character. The reason why Cutman merits to be an assist trophy an never playable is because Cutman is a particulary uniconic character.

Do you think Zero would be a great 2nd Megaman Rep?

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I made a moveset for Zero from the Mega Man X series.
Yes, I'm aware he's an Assist Trophy, I am also aware we already have classic Mega Man, and I am also aware X technically should get first billing (though I am making a moveset for him too).
However, I have just played through the X legacy collection and Zero is the coolest so screw it, he deserves it:

Zero, the Rank SA Maverick Hunter
(Theme of Zero)

"You think you're the first fool to fight me?"

Zero finally makes his debut in Smash, bringing along his best friend and occasional rival, X! However, X shall get his own section later. For now we'll discuss Zero who has more than enough to carry out any missions solo.

Zero is a legendary Maverick Hunter who primarily wields the Z-saber, an energy blade in the shape of a katana that bends like liquid and can be infused with elemental powers like fire, ice, and lightning. Instead of copying his enemies' weapons like X, he instead learns techniques from them and applies them naturally to his swordsmanship.

When he's on the back foot, he goes all out and dons his black armor while activating his special Z-saber technique, improving several of his attacks at expense of his personal defense- Zero's a glass cannon through and through.

With all that power and technique, there's a reason he's called Dr. Wily's greatest creation.

Inline spoilers are just neat tidbits that I thought I should mention but aren't part of describing the moveset.
WARNING: Gratuitous Japanese.
Introduction
Mission Start (X)
Zero warps in from a red laser beam, showing off his back toward the camera. He then turns around and gets into his battle pose.
Sprint
Emergency Acceleration System (X)
Zero starts with activating his jet thrusters in his feet, creating afterimages before transitioning into a normal run.
Run
(X3)
Zero runs as he does in the X series of games.
Taunt 1
(MvC3)
Confidently swings his sword around and snidely remarks "Just like a training program."
Taunt 2
(X4)
Turns his back towards the camera and gives a thumbs up.
Taunt 3
(X8)
Horizontally shows off his sword horizontally, muttering "Now's your chance to run..."
Victory 1
(Teppen)
Zero clashes with Nightmare Zero before the camera zooms out and reveals it was all in Zero's head as he says "I choose my own destiny!"
Victory 2
(X4)
Turns off his sword and spins it, reholstering it on his back saying "Target destroyed; returning to base." and teleporting away.
Victory 3
(X8)
Does 2 slashes and then goes into a battle pose saying "You thought you were better than you are".
Victory Theme
(X)
Kirby Hat
(X)
Kirby has Zero's helm, complete with long blonde ponytail. He does Zero's neutral special: Hadangeki.
Shield
Gokumonken (X7)
Zero brings out his Z-saber momentarily to block oncoming attacks.
Ledge Attack
Earth Gaizer (X2)
Zero slams his fist into the ground, sending up rocks.
Get-up attack
Earth Gaizer (X2)
Zero slams his fist into the ground, sending up rocks on both sides.

"It's not over yet!"
Comeback mechanic
Tenkuuha (X4) / Black Zero (X4)
When over 100%, Zero dons his black armor and activates his Tenkuuha technique, turning his normally skyblue Z-saber a bright violet.
In this form, Zero's attacks all have increased "priority" meaning they will outright destroy most projectiles, while clashing with stronger ones. His aerials also have special properties added onto them.
This form does come at a cost however as Zero's already fragile defenses are lowered even more and he takes 15% more damage from attacks.
While the black armor is present since X4, it's not until X5 that it began to bestow benefits. Tenkuuha is learned in X4 and is often associated with Black Zero

Zero can charge his Z-buster as well, though it is far more limited in its function.
By holding down the "A" button after an attack is inputted, Zero will begin to charge energy into his Z-Buster; naturally charging smash attacks automatically charge up this mechanic as well.
Beyond obviously preventing the usage of any normals as the "A" button is occupied, the charge also resets upon taking any kind of damage.

Due to not being proficient with the Z-Buster as much as X, he only has two level of charge. If Zero does not reach the minimum charge level, releasing will just reset the charge. Additionally, Zero also cannot fire the Z-buster in the air either inline to how he uses it in the X-series.

Charge Release

Hyper Zero Blaster (X2) / Shingetsurin (X5)
Releasing at minimum charge fires off a weak energy blast with a decent amount of stun but only medium range.
At maximum charge, Zero will fire 2 of those shots and follow up with a blade beam.
However, while in Black Zero (henceforth referred to as BZ), he'll instead shoot out much larger blue energy rings that are multi-hit and linger on screen at the end of their path.
The shot-shot-slash combo is a mainstay since Mega Man X2. Shingetsurin (the blue ring) is used by Awakened Zero and in that game, after stopping, the projectiles would then home in again. That would be a bit insane here so instead they just linger.

The other method of spending the charge is via releasing it mid-special attack, cancelling the move into a special followup.
Shield Special
Call X
(X3 / Xtreme 2)
Zero turns his back towards the camera and teleports away in a red laser. Shortly after X appears in his place, being transported in via a blue laser.
While X3 introduced the concept of switching to Zero, it was in an extremely limited fashion and it wasn't until Xtreme 2 allowed freeform switching.

Neutral Special
Hadangeki (X7) / Denharei (X5) -> Rakuhouha (X4) / Messenkou (C-Flasher) (X5)
Zero slashes down sending a slow moving beam. Pressing the special button again will have him do an upswing, increasing the startup slightly, but also making the blade beam stronger and faster.
With a charge cancel, he'll slam his buster into the ground, firing 5 shots in a fan shape around him.
In BZ, Zero's effects will go from blue to purple and the blade beams will be electrified, doing a bit more hitstun. With a charge cancel, he'll slam his buster into the ground, firing 7 shots in a fan around him.
While Zero has been able to do blade beams since X2, it isn't until X7 that the player could do them and the attack was formally named. Rakuhouha is his giga attack in X4 while Messenkou is what he uses in X5, both being the same move but differently colored. Denharei is just what Nightmare Zero calls his blade beam.

Side Special
Raikousen (X8) -> Mikazukizan (C-Sword) (X5)
Zero dashes forward so fast he turns invisible. He then reappears a set distance forward, lightning tracing his path and stunning any opponents caught in it.
With a charge cancel, he'll then go into a spinning slash that smacks anyone caught in the lightning away.
Raikousen is from the wildly unpopular X7, however it is a key tool in Zero's moveset in the vs Capcom games. Mikazukizan is essentially just Kuuenzan with a visual effect, though here, it would act as a finisher attack.

Down Special
Sougenmu (X5) -> Hayate (W-Shredder) (X5)
Zero gathers up his energy and creates a clone of himself that performs all his attacks on a delay. It lasts a scant 5 seconds and disappears if Zero takes any damage.
If this move is performed with a charge cancel, another clone will be sent forth, attacking with a shippuuga, dashing forward first and then doing a multi-hit slash before disappearing.
Sougenmu in canon functions more like Luma in that it sends the clone out forwards. However, the vs. Capcom games recontextualized it as a clone that follows Zero's actions on a delay which is far more popular. Hayate is essentially just Shippuuga but done by a clone.

Up Special
Hienkyaku (X4) -> Hisuishou (F-Splasher) (X5)
An aerial air-dash. It has no hitbox, but it doesn't leave Zero helpless and can be cancelled out with immediately. It can be aimed straight forward, where it'll be a simple dash, but also upwards where he'll quickly re-airdash to the ground unless he grabs the ledge.
With a charge cancel, he'll follow up with a shoulder tackle air-dash with his body encased in ice, which can alter its angle up or down slightly.
Hienkyaku functions like it does in the vs. Capcom games here where it is a special airdash maneuver rather than source material, which is a normal extension of Zero's movement. Hisuishou is X5's variant which gives it a hitbox.
Jab
Triple Slash (X4) / Ranbu (Zero 3)
Zero does his classic X4 3 hit combo- a downwards chop with the saber, an outwards slash, finished with a two-handed slash downwards that does multiple hits.
In BZ, Zero instead does Ranbu, an extended combo with 7 hits with the last hit being a rising slash.
The triple slash is iconic and part of every iteration of Zero and most characters that use swords in Mega Man games. Ranbu however doesn't originate from "Zero" but from "Omega" a violent personality that inhabits Zero's original body.

Forward Tilt
Rainjingeki (X4)
Zero points his Z-saber towards the opponent and turns it on, creating a blade of electricity that pierces anyone in front of him.
In X4, this was a rather difficult move to use, but here it could function well.

Down Tilt
Crouching Slash (X5)
Zero does a backhanded slash at the enemy's feet.
A very niche move, but one that makes sense.

Down-Forward Tilt
Ensuizan (X6)
Zero has an additional input unlike most Smash characters. He rolls forward with his Z-saber extended, doing a slow, but powerful and invincible attack forwards.
Zero was given the ability to do a rolling slash on the floor in X6. This carries over onto the Zero series. This version is based on its interpretation in the vs. Capcom series where it's referred to as "Koketsuga."

Up Tilt
Shoenzan (X6)
Zero does a firey red upper slash that throws up flames in the air, extending its reach both horizontally and vertically.
This move is based on Zero's X6 combo finisher but enhanced with flames. In that game, you could combo the normal jab string into Shoenzan rather than the normal upper slash, though that's not represented here as Zero's combo in that game isn't the one used.

Dash Attack
Shippuuga (X4)
Zero engages his jet thrusters, dashing forward and doing a backhanded slash forwards hitting the enemy multiple times.
A niche move in X4 due to how dominant Kuuenzan is, but one that's very essential in Smash.
Forward Smash
Charge Saber (Zero) -> Ittouryoudan: Genmu Zero (X5)
Zero holds the saber over his shoulder with both hands and slams it down, splashing energy and rubble from the ground.
With a charge, he begins to glow red as his hair grows wild.
Charged up, after releasing charge saber, he uses the momentum from the slam to jump up. He holds the Z-saber up and extends its length to a ludicrous degree and slashes it down, sending out a large energy wave to travel through the air.
Zero only begins to charge his saber in the Zero series of games while Genmu Zero is an instant kill attack used in X5. Here it takes the form of MvC3's version where it's just one really strong projectile.

Down Smash
Rekkoha (X6) -> Raijinshou (X7)
Zero slams his fist into the ground, calling forth pillars of pure light to erupt from the ground to hit both sides, spinning around him.
Charged up, Zero then follows up with a rising leaping slash that summons forth a stormy tornado that surrounds him.
Rekkoha in X6 is represented by an array of lasers that rain down and spread outwards. This version uses Zero 3's version where they spin around the user. Raijinshou is effectively just Ryuuenjin but electric, but it's a super powerful move in MvCI so it's used as such here.

Up Smash
Ryuuenjin (X4) -> Hyouretsuzan (X4)
Zero does a rising leaping slash with his blade embued with flames.
Charged up, he then follows up the attack by descending to the ground with a stabbing attack, this time, his blade embued with ice which shatters on impact with the ground.
One of the most essential moves of the game Ryuuenjin. It's strong but it can only be used on the ground which limits it's versatility, thus it is represented as an Up Smash here. MvCI allowed that move to be cancelled into Hyouretsuzan which is shown here, as it is also a combination that can be used in X4.
Neutral Aerial
Rolling Slash (Zero) / Kuuenzan (X4)
Zero spins around in the air doing a multi-hitting attack.
In BZ, this move now has a backwards variant if inputted shortly after leaving the ground and inputting back (similar to Steve's backwards neutral air).
Rolling Slash and Kuuenzan are effectively the same despite the name, but Kuuenzan was the first to popularize Zero's iconic backwards spin exploit. It is one of THE most ridiculous moves in the series and hopefully a fraction of its power shines through here.

Forward Aerial
Air Slash (X4) / Rekkyoudan (X8)
Zero does a simple sweeping slash outwards which is angled slightly downwards.
In BZ, it now reflects projectiles.
This move is eventually replaced by Kuuenzan, but it's an essential part of early game for Zero. Rekkyoudan just changed Zero's Z-saber to reflect all projectiles, but that wouldn't be pleasant to use so it's reserved just for this attack.

Back Aerial
Wall Slash (X4) / Juuhazan (X8)
Zero brings his blade behind his back and slashes behind himself going from high to low.
In BZ, this move does more shield damage.
A move practically no one uses outside maybe one or two instances, though it fits well in smash. Juuhazan functioned more as a powerful charge up overhead slam attack that smashed shields but here it just buffs his back air, another overhead slash.

Down Aerial
Sentsuizan (X6) / Rakukojin (X6)
Zero turns on his jet thrusters and dives diagonally down with his blade out, slashing and spiking anyone caught.
In BZ, this move has a much larger landing shockwave, causing rubble to spray out on impact.
In X6, Sentsuizan was essentially just a Shippuuga that was done in the air and flew diagonally down, a weird move to say the least. In TvC, the move was changed such that it was a more naturally looking "divekick" or in this case a "dive-slash." Rakukojin was another downwards attack which spawned anchors on impact, another odd move, though here it resembles ZX Advent's Energy Fissure which flings out boulders on landing.

Up Aerial
Launcher (MvC3) / Denjin (E-Blade) (X5)
Zero does a backhanded uppercut in an arc above himself.
In BZ, this move becomes multi-hitting and does more damage.
Zero's Special button input in MvC3 resembles a non-elemental version of Denjin, a Ryuuenjin clone that has multiple variants, one of which being an extremely short uppercut slash.
Grab (Zero 4)
Z Knuckle
Zero grabs with his leading hand which glows with energy.
In Zero 4 this weapon was absolutely terrible originally, but it does fit perfectly here as a grab animation.

Pummel
Zero Buster (X)
Zero points his Z-buster point blank into his opponent and fires repeatedly.
TvC introduced this as Zero's forward throw though it's a pummel here.

Forward Throw
Youdantotsu (X8)
Zero steps forward while stabbing the enemy with the Z-saber, blasting them away.
This attack serves as a variant of Raijingeki, though it's much more useful with its forward momentum.

Back Throw
Hyoroga (X6)
Zero leaps over the opponent and while upside down slashes them away.
This attack in X6 made Zero cling to the ceiling and rain down ice from his blade. Strangely enough he could still move and dash as he usually would, just on the ceiling now. In Smash the ceiling is rather useless in most instances so the upside down slash is used for its stylish flair.

Down Throw
Bakuenjin (X7)
Zero slams the Z-Buster into the opponent's face and slams them into the ground, creating a large firey shockwave.
Another move where Zero slams the ground, though this one has no special projectiles associated with it, making it a perfect down smash.

Up Throw
Hyouryuushou (X8)
Zero jumps and twirls his sword in the air repeatedly hitting the enemy in any icey spin before knocking them away.
Another Ryueenjin clone though this one has a unique twirling motion.
Final Smash
Fight Against Inner Demons
OR Tenshouha (X8) + Dark Hold (X5) + Awakened Zero/Zero Virus/Nightmare Zero (X5) + Fight Against Inner Demons (Teppen)
Zero punches the ground, summoning a pillar of pure light to surround him.
If any enemies are caught by the light pillar, Zero will hold them in the air with darkness and stop time for them. Zero goes berserk and hallucinates an evil version of himself whom he duels. They repeatedly cross swords where the enemies are until eventually Zero overpowers his evil ver sion, slashing both it and the enemies caught. As his doppelganger dissipates, time resumes, all the slashes taking effect and launching the opponents away.
This attack is a myriad of references, though mostly inspired by TvC Zero's super. Tenshouha is essentially Rekkoha except it's just one giant laser instead of several. Dark Hold is used as how it's shown in TvC where it's part of a cinematic super to hold the enemy into place. Zero's duel with his dark doppelganger is an ability card in Teppen. It would have been easy enough to simply give him Rekkoha as it's flashy enough or Genmu Zero as it canonically is his ultimate attack, but neither are very cinematic for a character as dramatic as Zero.
Oh and since uhh, this thread is kinda dead and the OP is deleted...
Can I have it.gif

The main post on the thread definitely needs some fixing up with all those broken images.

Last edited:
Top Bottom