• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Now I see

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
Fellow board members, today I have found out exactly why all of you say that WiFi means nothing.

I traded brawl codes with a guy I play with regularly to get some games in cause I was pretty bored. This guy is a brawl scrub and I regularly 2-3 stock him in offline play. Man was I surprised when he ended beating me on wifi. He just kept spamming smash attacks and i couldn't avoid them because of lag. It was ridiculous, and I now really understand why people say that wifi means nothing.

comments?
experiences?

discuss.

_Tiamat_

Smash Apprentice
Who was he using? I don't understand how you can lose to a C stick masher with Samus. I know the button lag is stupid but people's often forget (especialy when they lose online) that the guy they go up against play in the same conditions, with the same handicap.

And then people try to make stupid points like ''lol Ike's smash hit me online he's usualy slow I'd avoid him irl lol'' yeah right... by the same logic, how hard is it to connect Ike's slow smash and even tilts with button lag getting into the equation. You really gotta think ahead if you're playing someone who know what he's doing. Newsflash guys, button lag can be countered with prediction. Did it ever come to your mind that maybe these Ikes people oh-so-hate to lose to online naturaly develop better prediction and lag experience because their moves are naturaly laggy and take some thinking-ahead to hit with?

Yeah high level smashers are suposed to stay unpredictable, but this is a hard thing to do, in situations like games the brain tend to naturaly fall into paterns when analyzing the opponent's movements and reacting to them, but that doesn't really have anything to do with button lag so yeah...

I'd say take this loss as a hint that maybe there is an aspect of your game you need to work on.

Yep, I'm defending online play as taking some skill, omgflamemeplz

(post not completely aimed at topic-maker, but at the countless sore-losers that ***** after getting owned on wifi)

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
It takes some getting used to.

I purposely pick projectile-heavy characters on wifi because its easier to run away and laser/missile/arrow spam than actually try to fight due to the lag.

_Tiamat_ said:
Yep, I'm defending online play as taking some skill, omgflamemeplz
Who says it doesn't take skill? You have to completely adjust your button presses to the lag, and format your playstyle to fit with it. General consensus still says that playing offline is more skill-intensive.

NeroDB

Smash Cadet
If you're playing someone closeby to you, lag shouldn't be an excuse. If you play offline often it takes some adjusting with dodging and timing with attacks. If you plan on playing online more often don't touch offline mode.

kuenzel

Smash Ace
Who says it doesn't take skill? You have to completely adjust your button presses to the lag, and format your playstyle to fit with it. General consensus still says that playing offline is more skill-intensive.
you cant say it takes more skill, it would be exactly the same as if I told you to play after I mixed up all the buttons on your controller- it just takes getting used to, skill isnt a factor

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
The lag takes some getting used to. I'm sure after you've situated yourself with the WiFi environment, you'll be able to win.

I face similar situations. I rarely play on WiFi ever. But I do know people who I can destroy in real life, but they put up a decent fight online (They take more stocks off of me than usual).

Part of it might be psychological for me. I feel like WiFi is so sluggish that I don't even bother using the same strategies and techniques that I normally would.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I said playing offline takes more skill.

Zoids-Raven

Smash Apprentice
I know what you mean, this big load of **** I
was fighting online was spamming with pit.
No on can dodge pit's spams online.
(with a lag.)

Phoenix812

Smash Cadet
This is why you should try to experience different fights. Believe me, there are MANY people out there who spam, but for ever spammer there is hundreds more who don't. You will come across spammers a lot, but you will find more fair fighters along the way. Those are the people who you will brawl and have an actually enjoyable match. Wi-fi is nothing when you fight spammers, but a lot of fun when you fight fair brawlers. This is something I've learned the hard way.

ZeroSuitX

Smash Cadet
I see what you mean. ~_~

What character was he using?

cuz i know if im facing a snake online and lags happen he just Ftilt

but offline i could beat him and i know he wont spam the ftilt again

TEECO

Smash Ace
Yep, it honestly does. Wifi brings spam, lag, scrubs together.
I haven't been in one online tournament where i haven't faced at least 2 spammers, not to mention connection is never more than bad.
IRL FTMFW

AAP

Smash Journeyman
Having played alot of online, it certainly is a different experience. The lag (even if it is minimal) can make reactive playing very hard, no matter how quick your reflexes are the lag makes your reaction too slow. I'm sure many players who are successful on and off line implement different strategies online, or at least have strategies in mind for when the lag hits heavy.

Top Bottom