• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

noticing increasing toxicity towards DHD online

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
both in Smashladder and in for glory, more people are complaining about DHD and discrediting my win as a fraud.

smashladder aside, in for glory I counted 4 rage-name-changes out of 7 matches. they included

BYE○SCUM
GO○OUTSIDE
NOSKILL

is anyone noticing this? is it because less casuals are playing the game so the tryhard players will rage? I play smart and do some impressive tricks but still, these dudes are always salty.

Ninetale3

Smash Cadet
I have started to notice a slight uprising for anti-duck hunt as well. (Our trolling is working guys. :D)

I have a hard time now a days trying to get a fun match with them since everyone keeps counter picking to sonic or little mac or something on those lines on for glory where I am at on it. It's gotten to the point where I just have to use my secondaries more often because the matches just aren't that enjoyable. If I have to fight one more terrible sonic with Duck Hunt I am gonna switch to ladder as that might give more entertainment than seeing inexperienced sonic #90 being predictable.

Edit: Forgot to mention those same people type BM, similar to what is above, in the name box despite me winning 2:0.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
"NOOB"
"SPAMMER"
"YOU SUCK"
"LAME"

Names I see regularly when I win OR lose. Then they either leave or CP a character that makes the match suck even worse. Duck Hunt isn't even that good, so there's no reason to discredit any wins except that the sore loser clearly got outplayed.

Generally these people play their characters in the most braindead autopilot fashion so their childish trash talk can be disregarded.

It is true, though, I almost never experience salty players when I play my other characters - only Duck Hunt.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
I've learned to accept it, and when you accept this you gain the ultimate power- the side-taunt, side-taunt them to the ends of the earth and crush their puny self-esteems until they dread the day they put "UR ****" in the name box. Well, either that or they leave, and that's good too. Also if they call you a spammer it's funny to actually start spamming and ledge camping until they RQ.

Tyler Jenson

Smash Rookie
I've experienced this same type of thing recently, especially against people playing higher tier characters. They're salty because their autopilot Diddy, Sheik, etc, just got bodied by a DH. My answer to a rude name change is to start the match out with a side taunt and proceed to body them all over again.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I've experienced this same type of thing recently, especially against people playing higher tier characters. They're salty because their autopilot Diddy, Sheik, etc, just got bodied by a DH. My answer to a rude name change is to start the match out with a side taunt and proceed to body them all over again.
Always. I try to spam that taunt till it won't let me. Then they rage quit or SD.

DragN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jjaneck1
3DS FC
3523-2929-6445
(This relates more to glory ragequitters not do much DH, I play as Yoshi.) but sometimes when I'm on for glory and I body someone enough times, they'll put F*****, OP, KILLURSELF, TRYHARD or GG FGT. I play the character because he's my favorite. Ever since 64. Then they counterpick SanicSideB or MacNspamcheeze and its annoying. XD Duck hunt can be a bit annoying with the frisbees disrupting my aerial assault, but he's too hilarious to rage at, for me at least. His faces are so trollish. XD *side taunt* "hehehehe" I guess people will complain about any character they lose to.

Last edited:

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
This is not a Duck Hunt exclusive trait, this is an internet exclusive trait. Nobody will insult you in person, it's simply being able to use the web as a shield, since nobody will track you down, that people feel free to insult each other. Most smashers respect the community and wouldn't succumb to that low of a level. Let the casual players be salty, I just focus on the game.

DD_

Smash Journeyman
I duno about you guys but when a diddy tells me to "KILLURSELF" or says "FUKYOU" etc. I get the biggest hard on. DH Life yo haters gun hate.

Zegend

Smash Cadet
This is not a Duck Hunt exclusive trait, this is an internet exclusive trait.
This. ROB mains also get a lot of insults online from For Glory-ers, even when I pull off cool stuff with the gyro. Pretty much any character that can use projectiles efficiently gets insulted. Not that it bothers me though, I think it's hilarious.
I enjoy playing good Duck Hunts, no matter which character I'm using. I think DH is one of the characters that actually requires skill to use, which I respect you guys for.

lilinuyasha

Smash Apprentice
NNID
lilinuyasha
I actually had a guy recently kill himself and end the game early, then change his name to "Your[sic]no fun". I didn't really appreciate that :p

Ferntendo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ferntendo128
3DS FC
2724-0900-1828
I haven't fought any Duck Hunt mains in quite a while so I wouldn't know. Of course now this definitely intrigues me. Would any DHD mains like to add me on nintendo network and train with me?

isaiah :)

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Xais28X
3DS FC
4184-4265-4419
couldn't help but notice this, see the issue with FG and DHD is that he is one of the characters with the most stage advantage on FG, now i've only played maybe two DHD at best but out of both i will only tip my hat to one, the other one would roll to one side and spam the can and clay pigeon then roll to the other corner and sideB downB constantly, now i wish i was exaggerating, but sadly i'm not, this isn't trolling, this is spamming, i've seen some troll DHD and tbh it takes skill to troll, but roll + + projectile spam is not trolling.

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
Personally, there's only been 2 times where I have gotten flak for bringing out the dog and winning with him. The 1st time was when I once ran into a Flare Blitz spamming :4charizard: player (forgot the name of that person) in the FG FFA room, and I was :4alph: for that 1st round (Woot! What luck for me to start the session with a solid counterpick to that strategy on deck already. :D) However, after losing with Alph, both For Conquest and as one of my anti-FB-spamming characters (Alph's thrown Pikmin, especially Reds, make him crash onto the floor), due to the wombo combo shenanigans that can sometimes happen in the FG FFA room, that Char player got 1st place & started saying to the whole room that they should "TRAINMORE" (I think), and me being the possibly rare kind of player that enjoys challenging FB spam with projectiles that can make him crash onto the floor, rather than Counters, I stuck around.

2nd round, I tried :4pacman:, whose Side B, Hydrant, Trampoline, and Fruits all stuff it, and yet again, due to wombo combos and now a Shulk player's fantastic Vision timings, I did not get 1st & that Shulk did, which I'm okay with, since he made hard reads to earn 1st place. The Char player was silent about that.

3rd match, I finally bring out my 3rd and most reliable counterpick, :4duckhunt:, under the name "CostcoDawg", whose Gunmen, Can, and Clays (NOT shot-up, as someone I've seen in a downloaded Wii U replay found out the hard way in Sudden Death) ALL stuff FB HARD, and DH's got the speed to run-up USmash him for it. Because it's the FG FFA room, where keeping such things lying around is much harder due to 2 other players that can disrupt them (rather than 1 other in Teams), I could not maintain a littered flatland, and got rekt for it.

4th match, after more "TRAINMORES" I brought out :4ludwig:, yet another counterpick, due to Mechakoopas stuffing it, Side B Jump Cancels giving me extra mobility to leap over it & a way to bait FBs, and Jr's punishes with Side B JCs --> 2x UAirs HURTS! Oh, and he's got more KO power than DH. I don't recall if I won that match or not, but I probably did, and it might've either been too close for comfort, or such a beatdown that I earnestly feel sorry for him, considering who I pick next after this....

5th match, I go back to DH, and unlike the previous rounds that had fully stocked 4 players in it, there was only 3, including myself, a WFT player (another good MU for my short doggie), and the Char. I did the usual routine of leaving my Cans, Gunmen, and Clays lying around between me and the Char (which also hurts the Trainer's Soccer Balls & Sun Salutations pretty badly as well), and its much easier to keep such stuff up with 1 whole less person in the room.
While I just fight whoever's closest to me, while trying to send said closest person to the other players for wombo combo shenanigans (a good strat for making sure you don't get kicked for targetting 1 person excessively), I couldn't KO WFT, because the Char kept KOing her before I could. The only person I KO'd was the Char, who bonked his head into my stuff enough times for me to run-up USmash him out of the stage. By the end of this match, I finally won, and after that, I went "GreatGame!" as I usually do, win or lose, and the Char person went "..." and then "USUCK" and then he left before I could give him a chance to run it back like the good sport I am. Dude must've been salty over losing to both the traditional Counter counter, and the more micromanagatively unorthodox projectile littering strategy that I employed (which is also how I keep teammates around when projectile-heavy characters are running around). Let this story be a lesson to Flare Blitz spammers out there: If you stick around long enough in any given session using that strategy, you better get ready to switch it up when folks like me counterpick you with the likes of :4alph:, :4pacman:, :4duckhunt:, and even :4bowserjr:, and others Counter you with the likes of :4shulk:, :4marth:, :4myfriends:, and even :4wiremac:, or you'll be seeing yourself getting bodied in posted replays in the 3DS and Wii U replay download sections.

The 2nd time was in FG 1v1 (a room I rarely visit), where I went up against a :4peach: player as the dog for the 1st match. It was pretty close, but I took more damage than expected, due to expecting that Peach player to Side B more often than she actually did, making my preemptive Gunmen guardians vulnerable to strikes that KO-ed them and hit me at the same time. It was close, but alas, all that damage from getting mixed up while aggressively rushing her down added up, and I lost for it. The next match, I stuck with the dog for best 2 out of 3, and he hard counterpicked me with :4sonic:, who he surely must've known is one of the dog's absolute worst matchups, since he must've felt that his 1st win against me was cutting too close for comfort. It was definitely one of the roughest battles I've ever had in all of FG, especially since the last time I've ever really ran into a Sonic player was in FG Teams, where I had a teammate to hand him off to that quite often were actually better at handling him than I was (ex. :4zss:, :4falcon:, :4ness:, etc.), as well as FG FFA, where there's 2 other people I could focus on instead that could help wombo combo him from 0 to 60% in 3.5 seconds. Without such outside interference to get in Sonic's way, the thread here about that MU pre-patch certainly became real to me. We were neck 'n neck, all throughout the fight (including me landing a whole string of FAirs after 1 shot-up Clay at one point), until a fantastically timed BAir from me while he was crouching when both of us were around 125% sealed the deal. The thrill that match gave me was akin to the Q VS Makoto MU as Q & Twelve VS Ken as Tweleve (lawl, arcade typo) back in SF3:3S.

After that, he went :4falcon: for a lot of matches, and when he won against my dog twice in a row convincingly (which happened in his 1st two matches as Falcon directly after beating his Sonic), I had to admit that he got my dog tag numbers so to speak, and switched to :4ludwig: & proceeded to body him for the next several rounds as the other Koopalings (including Jr himself) with Mechakoopas & Side B Jump Cancel juggle punishes ahoy, even when he finally switched to the Mario Bros. after 8+ matches with me as Jr. Oh, and throughout all these matches, no words were uttered by that challenger, whose name I sadly have forgotten, while I myself gave hearty "GreatGame!"s after virtually every single match, until I had to give him a "LASTGAME" tag, and after that match where he repped :4mario: and won (one of Jr's bad MUs if he gets in on him), I indeed left. Maybe when I ask my 2nd youngest bro later about his name, I'll probably edit it in and give a shoutout to him in the Online Discussion area.

Aside from those instances, nobody ever really calls me out in the Character Select screen for repping an aggressive rushdown doggie that actively does his best to be the hyperactive guard dog in FG Teams (a match where I kept my Shulk teammate around the entire 2 minutes against a :4samus: by blocking off her arsenal with my own in the 3DS version was among my proudest moments as the dog in FG Teams). If anything, I get GGs more often, though that's probably because I bring out the "GreatGame!" tag after many a match in FG FFA or Teams. Oh, and I also rep the "CostcoDawg" tag as a way to both get a chuckle out of them (& me still), and to warn them that the canine's going to come out.

pepi1197

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pepi1197
Its not even DHD exclusive anymore. I got called "SPAM" for gimping someone with the G&W frying pan of justice ffs. Basically any character that is rarely seen gets called garbage or spammy because FG is populated by hypermasculine d*uches.

The worst instance I can remember was actually in a team battle. I got paired with a very good DHD as Mr. G&W. We took the first game pretty convincingly, but it was then followed by the two others switching names to "dogfagt" and "spambtch". The next round they attempted to totally ignore me so they could gang up on the other guy. Not really relevant, but I 9-hammered both after about 30 seconds of figuring out what was going on. The stgima the character has is getting ridiculous.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Xais28X
3DS FC
4184-4265-4419
Its not even DHD exclusive anymore. I got called "SPAM" for gimping someone with the G&W frying pan of justice ffs. Basically any character that is rarely seen gets called garbage or spammy because FG is populated by hypermasculine d*uches.

The worst instance I can remember was actually in a team battle. I got paired with a very good DHD as Mr. G&W. We took the first game pretty convincingly, but it was then followed by the two others switching names to "dogfagt" and "spam****". The next round they attempted to totally ignore me so they could gang up on the other guy. Not really relevant, but I 9-hammered both after about 30 seconds of figuring out what was going on. The stgima the character has is getting ridiculous.
well somee people live to spam on fg so :/ i would never consider FG competitive, but ive seen dbags spam G&W hammer for 9, from my perspective, it goes both ways, some people really do spam the **** out of certain moves and some people suck too much to admit when they got beat.

pepi1197

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pepi1197
Spamming Judge is punishable as hell thankfully. It just seems that the actual.amount of obnoxious gameplay is lower than it appears from a lot of DHD mains.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Makes me wonder what these people consider spam. I see it as inanely throwing out hitboxes in hopes to get a hit.

You've all seen the generic FG exclusives. The moment you hit 80%, Fox will spam usmash. Marth/Lucina will spam fsmash. Diddy and Ness will go for grabs like it's going out of style. That seems like spam to me.

Riskman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
weavorsomething
3DS FC
2406-5118-0663
Toon Link gets this quite a bit too. I like to blame latency for people getting angry because they can't shield projectiles as well as they should be able to, but people still assume that you're bad because you are throwing projectiles like you're supposed to. I think DHD is relatively stressful to fight, so when someone is new to the game and in latency they just seem to get mad and do this.

I have a friend who is trying to learn the game with Kirby, and I notice this kind of thing when I play vs him with Toon Link (salt, saying "spam" a lot) as well as other characters like G&W strangely enough, so it just boils down to people who are new to the game or who get salty easily imo

DragN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jjaneck1
3DS FC
3523-2929-6445
Whenever G&W spams his chef move, I (from a safe distance) stick my tongue out and try to eat the fish. XD Too bad Yoshi can't gobble food items up like Kirby, Wario and DDD. :(

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Xais28X
3DS FC
4184-4265-4419
Toon Link gets this quite a bit too. I like to blame latency for people getting angry because they can't shield projectiles as well as they should be able to, but people still assume that you're bad because you are throwing projectiles like you're supposed to. I think DHD is relatively stressful to fight, so when someone is new to the game and in latency they just seem to get mad and do this.

I have a friend who is trying to learn the game with Kirby, and I notice this kind of thing when I play vs him with Toon Link (salt, saying "spam" a lot) as well as other characters like G&W strangely enough, so it just boils down to people who are new to the game or who get salty easily imo
when i fought that DHD it was for sure spamming, he ran and i count 3 moves (The can, then the pigeon, then when i got close, spam roll to the other corner) if spamming is anything, its camping in the corner then spamming projectiles then rolling like its a damn wave dash to get to the other corner. sadly the internet was poor half the time cause when i did get close to him, the game would lag a lot :/

lilinuyasha

Smash Apprentice
NNID
lilinuyasha
I don't consider myself a spammy player. I Do use my projectiles a *lot* though. I will run in for combos and get aggressive, though.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Xais28X
3DS FC
4184-4265-4419
projectiles should be used to space out opponents and stop rush as well as gimp people, i consider all non-charge(samus charged blast is more of a finisher tbh) to be spam outside of what i just adressed

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
I personally see projectiles (DH's especially!) as cover fire to protect my (& the partner's) rushdown attempts (a habit learned from playing 2D fighters like Scarlet Weather Rhapsody, Melty Blood, Guilty Gear, and Blazblue, where many characters have slow but sturdy projectiles that help them approach opponents like Ky Kiske's HS Stun Edge, Anji Mito's Butterflies, Strider Hiryu's Ouroboros, USF4!Rose's Ultra 2, practically the entire cast of SWR's movesets, etc.), a defensive tool for warding off other projectiles (ex. blocking Shadow Balls, Charge Shots, and Aura Spheres with Gunmen :>), and an offensive tool for setting up KOs. As soon as I get close enough for my A button moves to reach, the projectiles will largely be gone and the upclose melee begins. Once I'm away from my opponent (at least far enough where my melee moves can no longer reliably connect), whether due to me getting knocked away or sending the opponent off-stage, the projectiles come back until I either get back in, score the KO, or if in a timed battle like in FG FFA or FG Teams and there's only 10 to 5 seconds left and either me and/or my teammate needs to stick around at around 100% to keep the lead or reach Sudden Death, run down the clock to 0.

Recently, I repped G&W in FG Teams because there was hardly any uploaded Replay footage in both the 3DS and Wii U Replay download sections with him in it for the U.S., and I definitely forward ShortHop Cheffed a lot as I tried to approach the other team. Like with my other characters, as soon as folks get close enough for Chef to fail, the upclose melee begins. Since it is FG Teams where friendly fire is off, I use Chef to provide cover fire for my partner to approach the other team with. Which is when I found it quite strange when my Lucina partner (whose name I have forgotten) did NOT go in with the food raining down on the other team for a few times, even though she was at a relatively low percent (50-ish and below) during those few times. At least she started gelling with my use of Chef and Neutral A to setup her FSmash & Shield Breaker KOs. :D Did I upload a replay in the Wii U version showcasing this? Yes, and you can find it in the Replay download section. :3

Oh, how I would LOVE to run 2332 as G&W online someday~ XXL Chef would basically be Anji Mito's Butterflies that DON'T require blocking first to activate the overhead~ 8D

Last edited:

speedguy20

Smash Cadet
NNID
speedguy20
FG is mainly trash though. I get called a spammer for using lasers as Falco, and often a ragequit.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
This is odd, whenever I play Duck Hunt online, people don't do this. I guess I got the good sports, but seriously, people get mad at anything these days. But why? Do they think someone who uses projectiles = camper/spammer?

Though I must admit, using the (left) side taunt to end the match works every time.

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
I play an extremely aggressive Duck Hunt and I still receive a lot of toxicity. People are just salty these days that's all

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Makes me wonder what these people consider spam.
You'd be surprised. Once I was playing as Ganondorf vs. a Luigi who would literally do nothing but stand in place and spam fireball, then hold shield when I jumped over said fireballs. I would then Flame choke him over and over for sitting in shield. He then called me an unskilled spammer. Spam is whatever works on them over and over that they'd rather complain about than adapt to.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I've been noticing lately that I get called campy and boring online...when the opponent is the one initiating the camping. Sorry that I'm not running face first into your charged Fsmash.

The logic.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
I've been noticing lately that I get called campy and boring online...when the opponent is the one initiating the camping. Sorry that I'm not running face first into your charged Fsmash.

The logic.
Its only camping when we do it

k-ta

Smash Cadet
NNID
shadowkyo
3DS FC
5284-1414-9946
It sounds like people are don't understand this concept of competent players being online (then again, this IS For Glory we're talking about here).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Its only camping when we do it
Not to mention that Duck Hunt Dog's moveset is centered around camping... we have three projectiles for crying out loud. What are we supposed to do if we cannot use our projectiles?

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
... Make like :4yoshi: or :4sheik: and try to hardcore rush you down with A button attacks that are nowhere as safe, quick, and high-priority as theirs??? :confused: That's actually been my MO with the dog for certain MUs where our projectiles + aerials are not so good at walling out folks, like :4sonic: (thanks Brood, for giving us hope against him, at least), :rosalina: (Gravitational Pull AND Luma. 'Nuff said.), and even good :4bowserjr:s that have either been in the labs and/or went to the Jr subforum's MU thread (His Mechakoopas and especially even uncharged Cannonballs beat ALL of DH's projectiles, even with Customs on! Except for High-Explosive Cans and well-aimed Default Clays against his Default Mechakoopas, at least. Plus I want headshots, and if I get to go another round against a Jr, I'm ditto-ing him with :4ludwig:, because not only do I LOVE the Jr Ditto MU, but contrary to some players' views, I see Jr as a legit counterpick to DH, especially if we don't get to go to a walled Omega stage). At least our grabbing ability and payoffs are better than Jr's. :>
I'll be frank, against Sonic & Rosalina, I'd rather run :4charizard: than the dog, because at least his Flamethrower & Flare Blitz/Dragon Rush can stuff Spin Dashes, and he's great at KO-ing Luma and Rosie herself, plus his Rock Smash/Hurl & Fly can super-armor through a bunch of their juggle/KO attempts.

Last edited:

ShinyGirafarig

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
3DS FC
5412-9895-2268
Today I was in Team Battle For Glory and was beating this other team who had a Shulk player. When he/she was finally on my team the person self destructed many times, most likely to anger me (which did not work). I decided to use both taunts I have for laughing, run around and crouch everywhere instead and the opposing team joined with me. Eventually the salty player was booted out but sadly I was booted myself for "idling" I guess I did not move soon enough when I was crouching multiple times.

Jellydino

Smash Cadet
I thought people would be more mature than harassing someone for using a character that they enjoy using. I thought the Smash community got that out of their system with Diddy and Meta Knight in Brawl.

Charu

Smash Cadet
Today I was in Team Battle For Glory and was beating this other team who had a Shulk player. When he/she was finally on my team the person self destructed many times, most likely to anger me (which did not work). I decided to use both taunts I have for laughing, run around and crouch everywhere instead and the opposing team joined with me. Eventually the salty player was booted out but sadly I was booted myself for "idling" I guess I did not move soon enough when I was crouching multiple times.
I had this happen to me too actually the other day, lol. I just kept on playing though as if nothing was wrong. Guy ultimately stopped deliberately SD'ing though as he saw I didn't leave the room after multiple games.

ShinyGirafarig

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
3DS FC
5412-9895-2268
I had this happen to me too actually the other day, lol. I just kept on playing though as if nothing was wrong. Guy ultimately stopped deliberately SD'ing though as he saw I didn't leave the room after multiple games.
Nobody leaves Team Battles if people know the player is purposely SDing. I played teams a lot and most people understand if someone is being deliberately spiteful and will play along as well. I also did not attack the other teammate at all when I know someone is being spiteful in that team. People only leave teams when a player is genuinely bad or pretending to be. If you want to take revenge on the other player in teams remember to make it look like you are bad at Smash in general.

So to keep this more in topic I had a while ago someone changing the name to "TOOMUCHDOG", also in teams so I made a tag back, DOGISSPAM.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I had someone change their name to "MikeVick" after they beat me today.

Not sure how to feel about that one.

Top Bottom