• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Not to be negative but...

FrostFeydryn

Smash Cadet
Maybe this game is just not for me, not really what i'm used and not much practical integration into the community via online methods. But there is a convention in a little over a week that might change my mind depending on the players I meet but so far I don 't understand enough about the game the have a grasp on what's realistic (via character choice and what those particular characters are capable of accomplishing). Maybe the gameplay pacing is too slow for me, it's difficult which I don't mind but certainly doesn't have that addiction factor that other games have allowed me to experience. I just simply don't have the desire to sit through for glory all day playing laggy or bad mannered opponents with no clear path on how to critique my play efficiently.

Thanks though for the few kind players out there that provided advice and hopefully I can find a reason to stay.

NGUY (guitarstage)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
guitarstage
dude if you are using for glory as a reference you really need to see more people maybe join a crew and see some people maybe have a master/senpai maybe go to some tournaments you really need to open yourself cause playing for glory you wont accomplish nothing specially cause when u see the hype you will want to stay

FrostFeydryn

Smash Cadet
dude if you are using for glory as a reference you really need to see more people maybe join a crew and see some people maybe have a master/senpai maybe go to some tournaments you really need to open yourself cause playing for glory you wont accomplish nothing specially cause when u see the hype you will want to stay
Yeah I haven't found any luck with a consistent training partner

Dem Bones

Smash Rookie
NNID
FlyingTiger89
I'm in the same boat; it's always hit or miss (mostly the latter) with FG, even by ethernet. I merely use it as a tool to help keep my fundamentals sharp. You'll find a much more welcoming environment when you play locally; I'm going to soon hopefully.

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
Maybe this game is just not for me, not really what i'm used and not much practical integration into the community via online methods. But there is a convention in a little over a week that might change my mind depending on the players I meet but so far I don 't understand enough about the game the have a grasp on what's realistic (via character choice and what those particular characters are capable of accomplishing). Maybe the gameplay pacing is too slow for me, it's difficult which I don't mind but certainly doesn't have that addiction factor that other games have allowed me to experience. I just simply don't have the desire to sit through for glory all day playing laggy or bad mannered opponents with no clear path on how to critique my play efficiently.

Thanks though for the few kind players out there that provided advice and hopefully I can find a reason to stay.
This is a perfectly reasonable sentiment. Don't worry. Smashboards is a great place for advice/help.

1) If the gameplay is too slow for you, main :4sonic: (Half-joking, actually not a bad suggestion >.> ). You may be more into the faster characters of the cast. (Playing slower characters can help with other parts of your gameplay)

2) Relax and play the game for fun. Test the limits of the characters you like and don't be afraid to fail/die. (I have no idea how many times I've died doing off-stage shenanigans with Captain Falcon) Watch gameplay on YouTube or Twitch and see how the pros play and pick up techniques from them. Play whatever feels good to play as.

3) There is an Online Discussion sub-forum where you can look for players to play with. That or visit certain character threads and get advice from them or connect with them.

4) Try to find a local community of Smash players. Offline play is typically better than online play. Hopefully you can achieve this through the convention you're going to.

5) For glory typically isn't the best standard to measure up to. Don't take it too seriously if you lose and try to play opponents based not on their skill but on the lagginess of the connection. (lol! Sad but true...)

Good luck!

SuperSwagBros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xCocho
Attend some locals. If you're somewhat new, losing is inevitable. There's nothing better than losing in my opinion. You get to attempt to learn why you lost, which will make you better once you work on that reason.
If the game is too slow, try some melee/project M. There are tons of things that you can learn that applies to any smash game.

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
You could try smashladders. Ranking system so you can choose to fight people above or at your level to challenge yourself. Also, you can probably find people near you, reducing the lag.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Well you could be right though, the game may not be for you. Not everyone has to like any Smash game. I used to like watching games like Starcraft: BW during exciting moments, but I knew playing the actual game just wasn't for me.

If you find people around you to play with and you still feel the same way, then at least you know. Best to spend your time doing things you enjoy right?

NGUY (guitarstage)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
guitarstage
yknow a i have some smash students that were in the same situation as you maybe join my school? xdm jk but yknow going to online tournaments is a very good practice

CrabLeg

Brown Boy Wonder
NNID
Maheen76220
3DS FC
4854-6626-0552
Where I live, there isn't really a Smash 4 scene. There's a scene for Melee, PM and Smash 64 here but not Smash 4. So I turned to the online tournament forums. The people there are really friendly and most of the players are far better than the average For Glory player. I heavily suggest you participate in online tournaments.

NGUY (guitarstage)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
guitarstage
Where I live, there isn't really a Smash 4 scene. There's a scene for Melee, PM and Smash 64 here but not Smash 4. So I turned to the online tournament forums. The people there are really friendly and most of the players are far better than the average For Glory player. I heavily suggest you participate in online tournaments.
why dont start a scene?

KCB: Cloth

Killer Combro
Yeah I haven't found any luck with a consistent training partner
add me: ThatCloth

If we don't lag I'd be happy to give you some advice and work around the slow playstyle. It really comes down to choosing the right move at the right time for the right dmg with the least frames.
This game can be really fast if you play correctly.

FrostFeydryn

Smash Cadet
add me: ThatCloth

If we don't lag I'd be happy to give you some advice and work around the slow playstyle. It really comes down to choosing the right move at the right time for the right dmg with the least frames.
This game can be really fast if you play correctly.
AranFrost is my ID

By the way where is this sub forum for finding players??

Last edited by a moderator:

Raethien

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raethien
3DS FC
4012-4393-7821
Im sorry... But can you use Periods and commas?

AranFrost is my ID
I would play with you to.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

jdubYOU

Smash Cadet
I still lose at tournaments I go to, but I'm loving every minute of them. It's so cool getting to call myself a competitive smash player. And I feel like getting better just takes way more time than I wish it took.

Top Bottom