• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Not sure if I'm the only one but I'm not happy with the roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

iankobe

Smash Lord
It's been a while since the last time started a thread. I've been a long time Smasher and a devoted Melee Player. After seeing the final roster of the newly anticipated Smash 4, I can't help but feel pretty sad about it. Sure, it's finally in HD and all but I really am not happy with the roster. Am I the only person feeling this way?

Don't you think Sakurai could've put up a better roster? Or maybe I should just be grateful about a new smash.

Good luck ya'll.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
You are not the only one. That said, I absolute love the roster. It lacks a few characters I wanted, but it still is great imo.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Give me wolf and I'm content tbh

Also Doc and Dark pit should've been left as alts, Lucina can stay though and alph would've been cool

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
There are a few changes I'd like. Mainly give me Mewtwo and Ridley, then the roster's fine.

I'd really like to see some decloning in the Zelda series. Toon link should have WW based specials (like Deku Leaf for upB) instead of clones of Link, TL and Shiek should get a new FS (particularly now that DP ALSO got light arrow), and I would have liked the utterly bad*** Ganondorf from Hyrule Warriors to pop in. As for the rest of the cast, I would have wanted to see the clones stay as alternate costumes since Alph and the Koopalings set a precedent for that, and maybe then add a few clone alts - Lucas for Ness, Falco for Fox (so Wolf could be the full new character since he had a decently different moveset)

I'm also hoping the other two PKMN Trainer mons come back for DLC, since they have fully-existing movesets, but Squirtle and Ivy are not important enough to stand on their own. However, I loved Squirtle, and really want him back.

Dr. Corndog

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DrCecilCorndog
I can't understand why anyone would dislike the roster. It didn't fulfill my every wish, sure, but I didn't expect it to. It has some fantastic additions (Mega Man, Pac-Man, Little Mac, Shulk) and barely makes any cuts. I mean, c'mon, it has 49 freakin' characters! How can a person not find something to like?

LordVacation

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SpaceVacation
Mewtwo, Ridley, Ice Climbers are truly the only huge names I think needed to be included that weren't.
Literally the only sad part of the roster because, Really; it's a pretty great roster.

DLC will fulfill the emptiness in my heart.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
In general, I like the roster. I don't have a problem with who's in it, the thing I don't like is who's not.

Veteran cuts are the worst things ever man. Lucas and Ivysaur... They were just so good. Died too young RIP. I really just wish they hadn't been around in the first place for me to fall in love with. Those who say it's better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all CLEARLY have never loved and lost.

There was also no reason to cut Wolf and such. I also still don't really believe that Ice Climbers weren't doable but whatever. More reasons why the 3DS version shouldn't have happened.

Would have also liked to have seen Paper Mario and Dixie Kong. But oh well. Next time.

But, as it is.. Jr, Robin, Shulk, Greninja are all fantastic new additions imo. And because I like them, they'll be cut next time around.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
I have a love-hate feeling about the roster. There were a lot of characters I was happy that got added, and there were a lot of characters that I was sad got cut or didn't make it, and then there were some character(s) that I am very questionable about how/why they got in, lol.

2004Zilla

Smash Master
NNID
2004Zilla
Ridley and Wolf not making the cut and Dr. Mario getting in are my only complaints.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
It's not my perfect roster, he gave me some characters I don't care about :4darkpit::4palutena::4villager: as well as some I wanted in smash :4megaman::4pacman::4greninja::4bowserjr::4robinm::rosalina: and even some I didn't know I would like :4wiifit::4shulk::4duckhunt::4littlemac:

Sure he left out Mewtwo, Isaac, Dixie/K.Rool but I got plenty of new characters I like! :)

:squirtle::wolf: will be missed

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's the best roster yet. The clone choices are questionable and feel redundant thanks to Alph and the Koopalings. And the cuts are unfortunate (and I'm positive not bothering with the former would have made room for at least Lucas or Wolf).

Everyone else is golden though. My most wanted characters got in. There were others I still wanted (though Impa still has a chance, it seems, as a 3DS/Wii U connectivity gift, so here's hoping). But the newcomers this time around are an amazing line-up.

Greninja was questionable in that he feels pre-mature, but he is a really cool fighter and I have a feeling he's gonna play a big role in the anime at some point anyway.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
You're not the only one, of course, but I'm afraid don't share your feelings. It's pretty much perfect as I see it, though I certainly shan't begrudge others for expressing their opinions on it.

supercopper64

Smash Ace
NNID
CaptainOfWar
3DS FC
1650-2938-3501
Dude many people like it. Why does everyone whine about the roster? Oh the character you want isn't on there? Boohoo. The character I want was not on ther but this is still my favorite roster! I'm not mad at just you, iankobe, but it makes me angry when people always complain! If you don't like it, don't play it! 文句終了します...

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
At least my Mains are in but.

The character that are cut are frustrating I sadly never care about :squirtle::pt::ivysaur::snake:. Even I play the game, I dont miss them.

Except :popo::wolf::lucas:. I Really feel bad about them R.I.P. Instead we get this :4drmario::4lucina::4darkpit:, a clone trinity.
And yeah :4ganondorf::4tlink:, I still dont know there still half clone.

My main issues with this roster is that in Brawl Cut most of the clones and 1 original character(mewtwo). Those who are clone were decloned, Like Falco and Mario (The spin).
When you compare to Smash 4 we lost 5 Original characters and 1 clones (Lucas). That why it hurts soo much.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
People are seriously still suggesting Hyrule Warriors content to happen. That's like expecting a Super Mario Galaxy stage in Brawl.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Would have liked it better if the leakers hadn't, well, leaked everything.

In all seriousness, though, the roster is freaking amazing. Sakurai (God damn it, auto correct, I do NOT mean 'samurai') is an amazing human being for making all this possible, and the same goes for everyone involved with the development of this game. Favourite new character? Shulk (I was pleasantly surprised about how fun he is to play as, I was just expecting another generic sword fighter). Least favourite character? Dedede (Because they got rid of all his powerful kicks and his voice sounds weird).

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I love the roster!!! I just wish I got more characters like Toad, Dixie Kong, Simon Belmont, Wandering Heroes (Find Mii), Tingle, Waddle Dee, Chocobo & Slime (Square Enix rep), Meowth, Mallo (Pushmo), Infantry Units (Advance Wars), Captain N, Nester (Nintendo Power), Mike Jones (Star Tropics), Takamaru, Impa, Muddy Mole, Rayman, Krystal, Medusa, and Banjo-Kazooie... I'm asking for too much... but for right now with SSB4, I'm very happy with the roster. Can't wait to see what SSB5 has in store for us in 5-8 years!!

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I am overall content with the roster. I do feel that the fans should have received more, such as Ridley and Mewtwo and even Isaac. I may seem bias in saying King K. Rool should be there, but then again, I'm really not... The most significant villain of each franchise should hands-down be in this game.

Overall, I summarise this roster as being a pretty bloody great roster, particularly in the uniqueness department, but Sakurai ignoring his fans and sending out too many mixed messages and curve balls stopped it from being a pipe-dream in my opinion. This is mostly because, admittedly, I feel Sakurai was cruel in dealing with Ridley (there is still the DLC theory, but don't expect anything), and should have just dis-confirmed Ridley when he showed Pyrosphere then and there instead of egging Ridley's fan-base on. I feel that if he had done that, the hostile reactions and numerous threads of hate / disappointment wouldn't be so numerous.

The minor disappointment I felt with the roster (gross lack of Donkey Kong content, this cannot be argued) is for the most part overshadowed however by the thought and creativity put into not only some of the veteran characters, but also characters such as Palutena, Bowser Jr., Shulk, Duck Hunt Duo, Mega Man, the Villager and many more.

For those who are new to Smash for this instalment, I hope they learned the lesson out of this that some of us learned years ago... That is, Sakurai cannot be tabbed or predicted, and that pretending to be able to do so will only get you burned.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I am overall content with the roster. I do feel that the fans should have received more, such as Ridley and Mewtwo and even Isaac. I may seem bias in saying King K. Rool should be there, but then again, I'm really not... The most significant villain of each franchise should hands-down be in this game.

Overall, I summarise this roster as being a pretty bloody great roster, particularly in the uniqueness department, but Sakurai ignoring his fans and sending out too many mixed messages and curve balls stopped it from being a pipe-dream in my opinion. This is mostly because, admittedly, I feel Sakurai was cruel in dealing with Ridley (there is still the DLC theory, but don't expect anything), and should have just dis-confirmed Ridley when he showed Pyrosphere then and there instead of egging Ridley's fan-base on. I feel that if he had done that, the hostile reactions and numerous threads of hate / disappointment wouldn't be so numerous.
The minor disappointment I felt with the roster (gross lack of Donkey Kong content, this cannot be argued) is for the most part overshadowed however by the thought and creativity put into not only some of the veteran characters, but also characters such as Palutena, Duck Hunt Duo, Mega Man, the Villager and many more.

For those who are new to Smash for this instalment, I hope they learned the lesson out of this that some of us learned years ago... That is, Sakurai cannot be tabbed or predicted, and that pretending to be able to do so will only get you burned.
I still think ridley is in, that leak is looking pretty good right now or at least I hope

Last edited:

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
i, for one, am not happy

:4bowserjr:,:4littlemac:,:4palutena:,:4shulk:. i like that those got in.

i understand :4pacman: , :4duckhunt:and :4wiifit:; but they don't hype me. :4mii: , :4greninja: and :4villager: are almost the same, except apathy turns into anger.

i simply cannot accept :4robinm: and :rosalina: when there are mor eimportant characters on their own series that aren't playable yet (Chrom and toad respectively.)

while the choice of bringing back :4drmario: is acceptable, choosing :4lucina: and :4darkpit: as clones... while :4alph: is just an alt, does not bode well to me. i think there are other choices that weren't even alts (like Daisy) would've been better than the freaking Tritagonist of awakening and it's 4th rep (who is less important than chrom who is, again, not playable); and while :4darkpit: was the best choice for a 3rd KI rep (Dark Pit is the 2nd most important playable character in the series, it's why we got :luigi64: and then :bowsermelee:)... the series really did not need a 3rd rep.

The lack of a 3rd, and 4th 100% unique DK rep is sickening to the core. we could do with a new Metroid newcomer, but besides Adama dn Manthony, Sakurai is trying to make everyone unviable... ridle,y Mother Brain, Dark Samus...

NK1046

Smash Apprentice
I'm satisfied with the roster but I feel like there is something missing. Like bringing back Dr. Mario instead of Mewtwo just doesn't feel right. And i know Sakurai said that they couldn't get the data from melee for Mewtwo, but if you bring back 1 veteran from melee and it isn't Mewtwo than its strange. And with all of the hinting at Ridley and we still don't know what he will be in the Wiiu version, since there is no trophy for him in Smash 3ds, I am still keeping hope for DLC once the Wiiu version comes out for both Mewtwo and Ridley.

TypePositive

Smash Apprentice
The game is surprisingly balanced and people are only ******** about three characters not getting in. The roster is great/ You know what, **** IC, Mewtwo, and Ridley...Still, no Issac is disappointing ....

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I love this roster its fantasic

Duck hunt dog for paypack

Megaman and pac-man and sonic and mario dream come true

Little mac

Awsome

And i want to point this out for everybody

If the tower of smash rumor is true

Sakurai did a 50/50 change of heart again (no exclusive characters per system but in both due to transfer from wii u to 3ds)

Ridley
Mewtwo
Chorus men
Dixie kong
Impa

Would all be playable in the wii u version (both versions if you transfer to the 3ds version .)

And its going good so far.

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
I can't say I'm sad, but rather... confused.

This game's feels so random. :V

Disatisfied that Ice Climbers and Wolf are gone. Also Snake.
Also that the clones are back. Couldn't he have made Lucina like Robin and Bowser Jr. Even her FInal Smash is the same. :V
Speaking of FInal Smash. Godammit Falco.

Spirst

But, as it is.. Jr, Robin, Shulk, Greninja are all fantastic new additions imo. And because I like them, they'll be cut next time around.
As someone who used Mewtwo/Squirtle/Ivysaur/Snake/Wolf heavily, this terrifies me. I wouldn't doubt any of the new characters I like being cut. Hell, even Mario would probably get cut if I started using him.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Each game had horrible rosters. Wanna know why? 'Cause each sequel to the game whether in existence or not, will have a better roster and that sequel will have a horrible roster compared to the sequel to it and so on and so forth.

I miss Wolf out of all the characters. I don't use the Ice Climbers, but I still wished they could stay since they were here since Melee. Mewtwo, well, we all have favorite Pokemon and Mewtwo's not mine, but I kind of wished Mewtwo would show up in another SSB even if it's SSB10. I could not care less for Roy; I just don't like him. It's as simple as that. Solid Snake was more of a guest star than Sonic since Sega and Nintendo are closer today than back then so, I never expected l'enfant terrible to come back.

Then there's Pichu...

Every fighting game are like this. Rosters have characters coming and going. Just look at Marvel vs Capcom. What's relevant stays or gets in and extremely well-known characters are staying period. So, Wolverine, Spider-Man, Mario, Link, etc. are always going to be on the roster, but characters like Deadpool, Ike, Lucina, or even Mega Man, but that's because Capcom wants to him for some stupid reason. Some games like the SNK games are split up into different tournaments or stories. It wouldn't make sense for Kyo Kusanagi to show up in Fatal Fury and it wouldn't make sense for Iori Yagami to not appear in the KoF games unless he's confirmed dead in a future game or something.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
As someone who used Mewtwo/Squirtle/Ivysaur/Snake/Wolf heavily, this terrifies me. I wouldn't doubt any of the new characters I like being cut. Hell, even Mario would probably get cut if I started using him.
You and I have an understanding for sure.

At the very least, there's that possibility Mewtwo might show up again for you! Unfortunately I feel like my chances with any of FE Roy, Ivysaur or Lucas returning at all are basically nil. But... people said that about Doc. So I dunno

Spirst

Rule number-one of game design: You can't please everybody.
More like a general rule of life.

You and I have an understanding for sure.

At the very least, there's that possibility Mewtwo might show up again for you! Unfortunately I feel like my chances with any of FE Roy, Ivysaur or Lucas returning at all are basically nil. But... people said that about Doc. So I dunno
I'm pretty sure Ivysaur is gone. PT as a whole is gone and I'm not sure if the separate characters other than Charizard would make it back but hey, I'd love to be wrong. I'd love Mewtwo to be back in. I feel as a character, he had a really unique moveset and overall, was just satisfying to use even if he was trash. Lucas, I'm not sure. With Ness having his alternate moves basically from Lucas, chances seem slim. They'd have to rework his moveset. Roy, I'm pretty confident I can say no to. He was cool though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom