• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Not sure how to get better

SBlue

Smash Rookie
I'll try to make this short. I have alot of issues but I'm not here to talk about all of them. Just one. I physically need to be able to beat this person I know in smash. They aren't even that good but they are better than me. If I can't beat this person I'm serious considering ending whatever connection I have with them. Yes it's just a game but to me this is the only thing I have a chance to feel good about myself compared to the person. I've literally lost sleep thinking about this and my only conclusion is that I need to get better or else I really think I'll fall apart.

I just made this account minutes ago because I thought maybe this place could help me. Please, I really need help getting better so I'll take whatever advice I can get. Direct me to any helpful YouTube videos for smash ultimate, tell me any tips, maybe even add me and help me practice. Try not to make fun of me. I know I sound dramatic and stupid but everyone has their own **** in life and rn, as stupid as it sounds, beating this one person (consistently) will make a big difference to me.

Also sorry if I posted this to the wrong part of the forum. This was my first time here and I'm not sure where to post a question like this.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Play more, learn your character's weaknesses and strengths, exploit his or her weakness (too aggressive, rolls too much, bad off stage, etc?), maybe watch pros play your character for some knowledge/feedback.

Is your character a bad match up for his/her character? We don't have a comprehensive match-up chart yet, but that's another factor. Usually heavies do poorly against zoners, characters with fast movement and speed can combo heavier or slower characters more efficiently, and so on.

...Aaaaand seek a therapist.

Last edited:

leftshark

Smash Rookie
I know the feeling man! sometimes you just have to win.

If your really dedicated you could start off with Main's a character that counters their choice. Although I suspect the person your really trying to beat is probably main's a top tier character, and an annoying character too fight as well. However you should choose a main that you like too play that isn't the worst. You want to go like mid tier and up. Maybe one with a good recovery if you want to have a better chance of winning Without serious training to make up for the flaws in a character.

But my best advice for improving your skills is too learn some of the techniques. I found this video from leffen really helpful with mastering the Short hop and some other niche mechanics. the title of the video is
Why does Smash Ultimate feel so weird? What settings YOU should use - Leffen

I also recommend watching professional players, who play your character. smash 4 works for the most part, but just know that it wont be exactly the same.

Then finally its going to be about putting in the work to really know your main and learning what moves link into each other. You should know your kill moves, and about what percent they kill at for the average weight character.

Practice in training mode to learn what moves link to each other, and your kill moves. then train against a level 3 for just learning to land those moves on a moving character. maybe play against a 9 cpu to practice evasion and learning to punish there predictable moves.

If the person your fighting isnt a serious smash player and is casual. you could put in about 10 hours of serious training and you could have the winning edge just with a better understand of the game and some advance techniques.

Best of luck and happy training!

Also, maybe do some self care. And that person is probably awful. So dont worry too much about it.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Can we make a general "how to improve skills" thread? I'm seeing a lot of new topics that all amount to "how do I get better at this game?".

leftshark

Smash Rookie
Also customize your controls too. Get rid of the stick jump and use the c stick for ether tilts or smashes. Your preference, but I find tilts difficult to perform consistently especially in the heat of the moment. Definitely put a grab button somewhere on the button pads too for easy grabbing out of shield.

And play against your main but a level 9 cpu to see what moves are punishable and see some basic combos. I found it really helpful.

iankobe

Smash Lord
How does one improve on ANYTHING? You practice, practice, practice. This game is no different than any other game we got from the past. You can only get better by playing more. The game's only been out for a week and everyone's got the same playing time as you (except some of the pros like zero and m2k).

But if you're asking how to get better in a technical aspect wise, I'd probably start from doing short hop aerials, out of shield options, parrying, edge guarding and true combos.

Everything else you JUST need to practice and play non-stop.

P.S. Practicing against level 9 computers actually help at this point. I find King K Rool quite challenging. (You can see what Sakurai had programmed these A.I. do against human players

Last edited:

Gallerian

Smash Apprentice
I'll try to make this short. I have alot of issues but I'm not here to talk about all of them. Just one. I physically need to be able to beat this person I know in smash. They aren't even that good but they are better than me. If I can't beat this person I'm serious considering ending whatever connection I have with them. Yes it's just a game but to me this is the only thing I have a chance to feel good about myself compared to the person. I've literally lost sleep thinking about this and my only conclusion is that I need to get better or else I really think I'll fall apart.

I just made this account minutes ago because I thought maybe this place could help me. Please, I really need help getting better so I'll take whatever advice I can get. Direct me to any helpful YouTube videos for smash ultimate, tell me any tips, maybe even add me and help me practice. Try not to make fun of me. I know I sound dramatic and stupid but everyone has their own **** in life and rn, as stupid as it sounds, beating this one person (consistently) will make a big difference to me.

Also sorry if I posted this to the wrong part of the forum. This was my first time here and I'm not sure where to post a question like this.

So I will try to keep this short, but simple. And I mean the following in the best way possible, with no malicious intent.

There is one way to beat someone. That is simply to, as Dark Souls players put it, "git gud."

In order to git gud, you must practice. Practice your butt off. Go into the training mode, find the character you feel the most comfortable with. From there, learn the fundamentals of that character. After that, put it into action. Go into actual battles. You will lose battles. You will more than likely get your butt handed to you on a silver platter. However, do not let that bring you down. You must get back up, controller in hand, and try again.

You will also win some. Try and keep that momentum going, but do not think you got gud because you won a few. You gotta keep going. The worst thing you can do is be arrogant about your skills. Another thing to remember is that YOU CAN NOT ACCOMPLISH THIS GOAL OVERNIGHT. In fact, it could take months, or even over a year.

Another step is to watch top level play. Listen to the pros, like ZeRo, Nairo, or whomever. Take a few pointers. Try and implement them into your style of play.

Most importantly though, is that you must remember that the only thing stopping you from getting better is yourself. Now get out there, and git gud.

SBlue

Smash Rookie
Play more, learn your character's weaknesses and strengths, exploit his or her weakness (too aggressive, rolls too much, bad off stage, etc?), maybe watch pros play your character for some knowledge/feedback.

Is your character a bad match up for his/her character? We don't have a comprehensive match-up chart yet, but that's another factor. Usually heavies do poorly against zoners, characters with fast movement and speed can combo heavier or slower characters more efficiently, and so on.

...Aaaaand seek a therapist.
Thanks. I really do need to figure out what counters the person I'm trying to beat. I do not know his tendencies but I'm bad at executing a punish and finishing people off. Rn the persons still choosing a main he wants to play but no matter what they pick I have to beat them. Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely research some more and find someone that plays people I like.

Currently seeing a counselor but thanks for the concern.

spookedya

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-8126-4461-5726
I cannot be your counselor, but I'm a semi-beginner and looking for people to train against. If you'd like I'll pm you my information.

leftshark

Smash Rookie
Thanks. I really do need to figure out what counters the person I'm trying to beat. I do not know his tendencies but I'm bad at executing a punish and finishing people off. Rn the persons still choosing a main he wants to play but no matter what they pick I have to beat them. Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely research some more and find someone that plays people I like.

Currently seeing a counselor but thanks for the concern.
Make sure you post your success! We are all looking forward to it. Don’t be afraid to ask for more advice, if the first rematch doesn’t go your way.

We are all rooting for you!!!

SBlue

Smash Rookie
I know the feeling man! sometimes you just have to win.

If your really dedicated you could start off with Main's a character that counters their choice. Although I suspect the person your really trying to beat is probably main's a top tier character, and an annoying character too fight as well. However you should choose a main that you like too play that isn't the worst. You want to go like mid tier and up. Maybe one with a good recovery if you want to have a better chance of winning Without serious training to make up for the flaws in a character.

But my best advice for improving your skills is too learn some of the techniques. I found this video from leffen really helpful with mastering the Short hop and some other niche mechanics. the title of the video is
Why does Smash Ultimate feel so weird? What settings YOU should use - Leffen

I also recommend watching professional players, who play your character. smash 4 works for the most part, but just know that it wont be exactly the same.

Then finally its going to be about putting in the work to really know your main and learning what moves link into each other. You should know your kill moves, and about what percent they kill at for the average weight character.

Practice in training mode to learn what moves link to each other, and your kill moves. then train against a level 3 for just learning to land those moves on a moving character. maybe play against a 9 cpu to practice evasion and learning to punish there predictable moves.

If the person your fighting isnt a serious smash player and is casual. you could put in about 10 hours of serious training and you could have the winning edge just with a better understand of the game and some advance techniques.

Best of luck and happy training!

Also, maybe do some self care. And that person is probably awful. So dont worry too much about it.
Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. Will watch that video asap. And the person I'm talking about isn't a serious smash player but I'm just a tiny bit below average so that's why I need an edge to beat him. The person is good at literally everything else in life and smash is the only thing I have a chance to do better than him in. Gotta get my priorities straight some day but for now I need to beat the person or else I really might not even talk to them any more

I cannot be your counselor, but I'm a semi-beginner and looking for people to train against. If you'd like I'll pm you my information.
Not looking for a counselor. Only problem in my life I'm trying to deal with is beating the person I know. Pm me your friend code and let's get to training. Idk how to send pm myself sorry

So I will try to keep this short, but simple. And I mean the following in the best way possible, with no malicious intent.

There is one way to beat someone. That is simply to, as Dark Souls players put it, "git gud."

In order to git gud, you must practice. Practice your butt off. Go into the training mode, find the character you feel the most comfortable with. From there, learn the fundamentals of that character. After that, put it into action. Go into actual battles. You will lose battles. You will more than likely get your butt handed to you on a silver platter. However, do not let that bring you down. You must get back up, controller in hand, and try again.

You will also win some. Try and keep that momentum going, but do not think you got gud because you won a few. You gotta keep going. The worst thing you can do is be arrogant about your skills. Another thing to remember is that YOU CAN NOT ACCOMPLISH THIS GOAL OVERNIGHT. In fact, it could take months, or even over a year.

Another step is to watch top level play. Listen to the pros, like ZeRo, Nairo, or whomever. Take a few pointers. Try and implement them into your style of play.

Most importantly though, is that you must remember that the only thing stopping you from getting better is yourself. Now get out there, and git gud.
Thanks will take these words to heart. I'm very serious about this so I'm going to work my ass off but I'll try to have fun too.

Also customize your controls too. Get rid of the stick jump and use the c stick for ether tilts or smashes. Your preference, but I find tilts difficult to perform consistently especially in the heat of the moment. Definitely put a grab button somewhere on the button pads too for easy grabbing out of shield.

And play against your main but a level 9 cpu to see what moves are punishable and see some basic combos. I found it really helpful.
Thought I was the only one who had trouble performing tilts consistently. Lol. I already went ahead and put in on my cstick. Since then haven't tried that setting too much but am in the process of deleting the smash attack c stick form my memory. Thanks for the advice.

How does one improve on ANYTHING? You practice, practice, practice. This game is no different than any other game we got from the past. You can only get better by playing more. The game's only been out for a week and everyone's got the same playing time as you (except some of the pros like zero and m2k).

But if you're asking how to get better in a technical aspect wise, I'd probably start from doing short hop aerials, out of shield options, parrying, edge guarding and true combos.

Everything else you JUST need to practice and play non-stop.

P.S. Practicing against level 9 computers actually help at this point. I find King K Rool quite challenging. (You can see what Sakurai had programmed these A.I. do against human players
Appreciate you taking the time to comment. I know practice is the only wwy. Sometimes I find myself not knowing exactly what to practice and or if what I'm doing is correct. The things you listed above are areas I've heard alot about so I'll definitely look further into mastering Thoes techniques

Augi

Smash Cadet
Hot Tip
Keep your eyes solely on your opponent during the fight. Don't just look at your own character the whole time.

This can be hard to do and requires a great deal of familiarity with your characters attack range because you're basically using your peripheral vision, muscle memory, and experience to judge your own orientation and attack distance.

However, the trade off is you'll react quicker to their actions and more easily track/anticipate their movements for better follow-up attacks. This lets you get ahead of them and keep pounding them into the ground.

Last edited:

Brozmosis

Smash Rookie
The best way to get better at smash is to find someone IRL who is passionate about the game and practice/lab with each other. You need a sparring partner. However if you must rely only on single player practice I suggest working your way up to 9 bots and grinding them out with your main until it becomes second nature. Learn your character inside and out. Learn how moves link into each other, setups, edge guards, recovery options, out of shield options, approach options, etc. If you set aside several hours a day to practice your main as you would practicing a musical instrument, you will become masterful very quickly.

thespoiler

Smash Cadet
Everyone here has great advice. I don’t want to be that one guy, but it’s just a game, bro. There are plenty of things that make YOU a valuable person, many things that you don’t realize. Putting all your self worth into a video game isn’t good. Just play the game because it’s fun, if you lose, who cares, it doesn’t matter. Your attitude is way more important than your performance in a game.

Brozmosis

Smash Rookie
Everyone here has great advice. I don’t want to be that one guy, but it’s just a game, bro. There are plenty of things that make YOU a valuable person, many things that you don’t realize. Putting all your self worth into a video game isn’t good. Just play the game because it’s fun, if you lose, who cares, it doesn’t matter. Your attitude is way more important than your performance in a game.
I agree. I should’ve put as a disclaimer that if your number one reason for wanting to be good isn’t for the love of the game, then you’re playing for the wrong reason - and your performance will suffer for it, too. If smash is just means to an end (winning a personal grudge) it will bottleneck your gains. Anger and bitterness shrinks the mind and you won’t even be able to learn if this vendetta is always at the back of your mind.

Top Bottom