• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Not enough challenging players in for glory matches

Are you satified with the level of challenge For Glory players presents ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lord_Spoon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
fogottenknight
3DS FC
2509-2089-2582
i only have a 60% win rate because i always hit the c stick instead of up B, I dont even know how but it happens. also why is it that most mac players are garbage, or is it just mac? i throw them of the edge and then hit them once in the air. Instant KO.

D

Deleted member 245254

If you maintain that number by 1000 matches then I'll begin to believe you're a healthily above average player.

I maintained 80-90 until the 500-600 mark or so, and then those 16 losses you have? The people you got there begin to be the norm.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
While I'm not a good player in the least bit it's still easy to see if an opponent's strategy and playstyle would work at all in any other situation that isn't "Fox Only Final Destination". I lose quite a bit to Shiek players but it's merely my fault and my lack of enthusiasm. They (most of the time) aren't good players who spam Needles to Dash-Attack to Down-B. I'm really bad but I doubt this strategy would work in a genuine tournament with stages that aren't flat pieces of crap. OH and there probably wouldn't be any lag either.

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
If you maintain that number by 1000 matches then I'll begin to believe you're a healthily above average player.

I maintained 80-90 until the 500-600 mark or so, and then those 16 losses you have? The people you got there begin to be the norm.
I hate to but in/be rude but the fact that your fighting over a percentage that is literally worth less then a grain of sand is kinda a waste of this threads space. Because simply put this game isn't cod a players skill isn't based off a kill death ratio but rather or not when the time comes perform under pressure and considering the fact that for every 1 good person you play there will be 40 absoulte scrubs that can't even perform smashes consistently plus the fact that its online(so lag,No pressure,etc. ) means that most matches wont represent a player very well simply because there's no hype or pressure to perform well online and even if you are doing your best for whatever reason as stated above the people you face have such a wide skill gap that the number is basically worthless Now that being said I would like to make it clear that by no means do I think that I'm the best smasher or one of the best Smashers but the only true way to prove if you are better then someone is to simply
Settle it in Smash!!!

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
I've held a ~74% win rate on 3DS's FG with over 600 hundred matches, but at 203 matches on the Wii U my win rate has fallen to 45%. Thing is, unless my opponent is a total douchebag (ran into a few), I stay with them regardless of their skill.

I find that most people get fond of you after a stretch of matches.

This one Rosaluma main (shocker amirite) who thrashed me for roughly twenty or so matches straight ended up sending me a friend request saying that they never seen someone play with as much heart as I have and that he found my non-quitting spirit inspiring, which encouraged me greatly. He sent me his Skype and said he's open for friendly sparring sessions any time.

Last edited:

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
While I'm not a good player in the least bit it's still easy to see if an opponent's strategy and playstyle would work at all in any other situation that isn't "Fox Only Final Destination". I lose quite a bit to Shiek players but it's merely my fault and my lack of enthusiasm. They (most of the time) aren't good players who spam Needles to Dash-Attack to Down-B. I'm really bad but I doubt this strategy would work in a genuine tournament with stages that aren't flat pieces of crap. OH and there probably wouldn't be any lag either.
If you're gonna blame the lack of help from the stage as to why you lost a match, then THAT'S why you lost a match.

Try over 1000+ matches and get back to us.
1k matches doesn't sound a tad copious? I mean, this game has no real ranking system. It's not like you're gonna get people your speed out of nowhere after 1k matches. Also, what if his win rate drops because he tries out a new char in FG or something? I can understand having matches under your belt, but 1k...eh...it's SAFE...but copious, imo.

Last edited:

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
If you're gonna blame the lack of help from the stage as to why you lost a match, then THAT'S why you lost a match.
Well...your kinda right well I agree blaming a stage is a pathetic john at best you have to admit at least in competive play stages do play a role that's why there's counter picking and band stages that also why we don't just play on FD in every match becuase each stage has different things that can give advantages to certain characters like high ceilings or diffent sized blast ranges.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Well...your kinda right well I agree blaming a stage is a pathetic john at best you have to admit at least in competive play stages do play a role that's why there's counter picking and band stages that also why we don't just play on FD in every match becuase each stage has different things that can give advantages to certain characters like high ceilings or diffent sized blast ranges.
Not exactly what I was getting at, but I'm not gonna derail this thread to specify. >_>

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost

No I lost the match because I'm bad at the game. I'm not blaming the stage. All I'm saying is that because the stage is flat the opponent has developed bad zoning habits on a Final Destination format and if ever fighting in a genuine tourney match he will have lost the edge he owned WITH the habits gained from For Glory.[/quote]

Last edited:

Netherfall

Smash Cadet
NNID
bambamboombop
3DS FC
1822-1445-5706
1k matches doesn't sound a tad copious? I mean, this game has no real ranking system. It's not like you're gonna get people your speed out of nowhere after 1k matches. Also, what if his win rate drops because he tries out a new char in FG or something? I can understand having matches under your belt, but 1k...eh...it's SAFE...but copious, imo.
Yeah probably. It could just be me, but I've run into more *challenging* opponents once I reached that threshold. It could be me just plateauing or just thinking that the quality of players I've ran into is higher, but I don't know for sure. Maybe everyone just went to the Wii U? I strictly play 3DS as I don't own a Wii U.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
No I lost the match because I'm bad at the game. I'm not blaming the stage. All I'm saying is that because the stage is flat the opponent has developed bad zoning habits on a Final Destination format and if ever fighting in a genuine tourney match he will have lost the edge he owned WITH the habits gained from For Glory.
[/quote]
I guarantee you that you're not gonna develop bad zoning habits because of FG mode. That's a pretty silly assumption to make.

Karthage

Smash Cadet

IF this game has matchmaking, then it's incorrectly implemented.

For example, here's piglet making it to master tier in league of legends, look at his games played:
http://i.imgur.com/9mbyW27.png

110 games for the system to decide he belongs that high.

If I'm getting a 95% win rate, the game should be shooting me up very high, very quickly.

300 matches is probably 3 times the number of games I should have to play to hit good players.

I'm going to say the game has terrible or non-existent matchmaking.

Rainiris

Smash Cadet
It's my impression that matchmaking is more based on Ping thanwin rates.

haxfactory

Always in the lab
NNID
thehaxfactory
3DS FC
1779-3108-5319
Switch FC
SW-1200-3583-4733
I agree with Karthage on this one. It shouldn't take 1000 games for matchmaking to kick in. I don't know of any other game that takes so long to be scaled based on win percentage. Most games scale within the first 100 games.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
You guys do realize that this game has no real ranking system to match opponents based on skill, right?

...right?

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
You guys do realize that this game has no real ranking system to match opponents based on skill, right?

...right?
That's kinda what the threads devolved to. Were basically seeing who can talk more **** about the FG as possible.

Last edited:

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
That's kinda what the threads devolved to. Were basically seeing who can talk more **** about the FG as possible.
I mean, on one hand, you can play as much as you want without worrying about a rank, but at the same time, it still tracks stats, it still feeds your performance to Big N, and it doesn't even give you good opponents consistently while doing it. Give n' take, but the game needs a real ranked matchmaking system. So bad players can get gud and gud players can get beturr. It'd be REALLY cool if your ranking was account tied on Wii U, so my progress won't be thrown off by my bros' lack-luster play.

link2702

Smash Champion
I'm starting to think the wii U vers. DOES have matchmaking, or least a better one than the 3DS...

I've noticed that I've gotten consistently better opponents on the wii U smash than I ever did on 3DS. For glory in 3dS has mostly been a cakewalk for me, whereas I've run into constant players on wii u who actually give me a challenge.

Maybe its just the fact that the 3DS has a larger base of players so i'm theoritically more likely to run into more noobs in it IDK....but it just feels like the wii U players have given me far more of a challenge than anyone I've encountered on the 3ds.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Maybe its just the fact that the 3DS has a larger base of players so i'm theoritically more likely to run into more noobs in it IDK....but it just feels like the wii U players have given me far more of a challenge than anyone I've encountered on the 3ds.
That's exactly what's happening.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
It'd be REALLY cool if your ranking was account tied on Wii U, so my progress won't be thrown off by my bros' lack-luster play.
I don't know if you use a custom name when you play online, but you can sort your stats to those specific names. For example, my 7 year old son has a name that he will use to play online (and he actually wins some battles, lol), but I can look at the stats just with the name that I use. I am slowly getting better, up from about 40% to 50%, but I don't have to worry about my son ruining my record.

Last edited:

whee1s

Smash Rookie
Well I am definitely not good. Played Brawl a bit online and have a decent Zelda and noob Ike game in brawl, but no real 1 vs 1 experience. I started playing 1v1 Wii u FG last night and the first three people I came across destroyed me. Then I got some guy who kept playing Palutena and I beat him about 10 times in a row using all sorts of people. So, I'd sat that it is very easy to "lobby shop" to get someone to beat up on since you can keep playing that person until they back out, which means that win % can be easily manipulated. I am undecided about how I feel about visible stats, but in general I like to see them, ideally a last 100 game or so average (not lifetime). I think you will know how good someone as soon as you play them, so player stats may not be all that important, but I do like the idea having some indication that you are getting better and moving up in a competitive setting so I would support a ranking system or something other stat system other fighter games use. But what I really wish for is to join/start round robin match making pickup tourney's on the fly.

Last edited:

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
I don't know if you use a custom name when you play online, but you can sort your stats to those specific names. For example, my 7 year old son has a name that he will use to play online (and he actually wins some battles, lol), but I can look at the stats just with the name that I use. I am slowly getting better, up from about 40% to 50%, but I don't have to worry about my son ruining my record.
I know THAT, but I mean if they were to implement an actual match-making mode. Sure, it might lead to smurfing, but at least people could track their progress and skill separately.

ninrok

Smash Cadet
NNID
rokninja
I've yet to find a player that's worse than me in FG on Wii U, just a couple on 3DS. Most two stock me. I'm really trying to improve and I get good hits in, but apparently other new players just stay out of FG.

It's pretty weird, I haven't felt this bad at a game since I started playing counter strike in the 90s.

Anyway, if FG is too easy for you, you should probably start exchanging friend codes with each other!
Congrats, you've just found a worse player than you! :-p

I'm still a huge work in progress but I don't mind it. I've learned every other FG I've played by going through "the gauntlet", so I'll just do the same here.

I have been improving as of late but I try not to pay attention to the win/loss ratio and look more at how/why I win/lose/get rekt.

That said, I've run into all sorts of skill levels constantly - I count that as a good thing.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I know THAT, but I mean if they were to implement an actual match-making mode. Sure, it might lead to smurfing, but at least people could track their progress and skill separately.
Then I guess I am confused by your statement.
It'd be REALLY cool if your ranking was account tied on Wii U, so my progress won't be thrown off by my bros' lack-luster play.
If they can sort stats based on your custom name, and they were to implement a match-making system, could they not match it based on your custom name as well?

Edit: Obviously there would be changes that need to be made, but its possible.

If it was tied to the Wii U account, then I wouldn't be able to try new characters with a different custom name (so as to not screw up my record). The way it is now, I can have a custom name for my Main, and different custom names for my secondaries. This allows me to more accurately keep up with who I'm good with and who I'm not, stats-wise.

So what's the point of having it tied to the Wii U account when custom names can fulfill that option and more?

Last edited:

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Then I guess I am confused by your statement.

If they can sort stats based on your custom name, and they were to implement a match-making system, could they not match it based on your custom name as well?

Edit: Obviously there would be changes that need to be made, but its possible.

If it was tied to the Wii U account, then I wouldn't be able to try new characters with a different custom name (so as to not screw up my record). The way it is now, I can have a custom name for my Main, and different custom names for my secondaries. This allows me to more accurately keep up with who I'm good with and who I'm not, stats-wise.

So what's the point of having it tied to the Wii U account when custom names can fulfill that option and more?
I guess there's always that, but I'd imagine it'd be horribly difficult to keep track of everyone's progress via name usage. Besides, some people go in without custom names too. >_>

Last edited:

B N R

Smash Rookie
NNID
DeathPoetry
Like a lot of people have mentioned here… there are tons of players online who do not quite cut it when it comes to skill. I’m personally guilty for playing “decent” people online for 10+ matches because I start with my main and secondary, then I jump around on the character select screen and try my hand with other characters. Here’s what I experience most in FG mode that upsets me:

I encounter a tournament level player- I lose… they leave

I encounter a tournament level player- I BARELY lose… they leave

I encounter a tournament level player- I barely win… rematch… they barely win… rematch… they win… they leave

I encounter an above average level player- I win… they leave, or they win… they leave

I encounter a decent level player- I win and they rematch me until the cows come home while I try out different characters… one of us eventually leaves

I encounter a lower skill level player- I win by a landslide and give them a second chance to maybe pick their main… if the landslide recurs… I leave from lack of interest. And when I say landslide, I mean literally playing a 5th grader (no offense to the 5th grade smashers).

Given my above encounters, I play the heck out of FG, but I don’t expect too much out of it- I have like 450 wins and 150 losses (give or take). I’ll post my actual scores when I get home. I’d MUCH rather have 300 wins and 300 losses if really skilled players would just play and stop it with this “you only get one chance, so you better make it count” attitude.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Since I'm yurop I'm happy when I get to fight someone without lag.
That said, my winrate is ~85% and I'm 5 wins away from a 100% win rate for the last 100 games.
Better matchmaking would be great. Sometimes I get complete beginners and I feel sorry for them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom