• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Not Another Team Rating topic!

Fox Legend

Smash Apprentice
I've recently discovered the wonders of online battles and EV training, so i decided to create my ideal Pokemon team, and I wanted suggestions/opinions on it.
Here it is:

Dragonite - Adamant (+Attack, -Sp. Attack)
Item: Prism Berry
Dragon Dance
Aqua Tail
Outrage
Earthquake
Strat: Use Dragon Dance if I need to get ahead on Speed, then go for quick kills with Outrage usually. EV trained for Attack and Speed

Metagross- (+Sp. Def, - Sp. Attack)
Item: Leftovers
Explosion
Meteor Mash
Zen Headbutt
Iron Defense
Strat: Absorb a lot of hits, while attacking with whatever is necessary. EV train Sp. Def, Def.

Charizard- Modest (+Sp. Attack, -Attack)
Item: Heat Rock
Sunny Day
Solarbeam
Flamethrower
Air Slash
Strat: Use Sunny Day, then go for Instant Solarbeam or Superpowered Flamethrowers. EV train Sp. Attack and Speed

Tyranitar- (+Defense, -Sp. Attack)
Item- Suggestions?
Substitute
Focus Punch
Crunch
Stone Edge
Strat: Substitute for at least 1 guaranteed Focus Punch, which should kill most opponents instantly when you're Tyranitar. EV trained Defense and Attack.

Snorlax- (+Def, -Sp. Attack)
Item- Chesto Berry (wakes you up when you fall asleep)
Curse
Rest
Return
Earthquake
Strat: Keep using curse to increase Attack and Defense until he's almost dead, then use Rest. The Chesto Berry will instantly wake him up with full HP, so you then sweep the opponents party with skyrocketed Attack. EV trained Def. and Sp. Def

Crobat (+Def, -Sp. attack)
Item : Leftovers
Confuse Ray
Toxic
Mean look
U-Turn
Strat: I'll send Crobat out first, toxify and/or confuse and Mean Look the opponent, then U-Turn to a another Pokemon. EV trained Def. and Sp. Def

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Dragonite- Pretty good, keep EQ and the item should be a Prism Berry.
Metagross- Why train it in speed when hammer arm lowers it? Give it Explosion, take away ALL Evs for spattk and speed and give it Iron Defense over Rest... that, or Rock Slide.
Charizard- Give it a Heat Rock which is pretty occasional underground, replace Flamethower with Heat Wave as for the last attack, make it Air Slash or Dragon Pulse.
Tyranitar-....... What?! Speed EVs? No no no no no, take those away ,replace them with Defense and give it a Choice Band/Scarf.
Snorlax- Give a Chesto Berry and Teach it Recycle instead of Curse to reuse the Chesto Berry I wouldn't rely on Return much, give it Rock Slide. Recycle over Curse it my opinion but it's your choice.
Crobat- Poison Fang over Toxic and Air Cutter over Fly.

Fox Legend

Smash Apprentice
Having a dragon Pokemon isnt the reason for which i wouldn't fare well against other dragons, so i don't see why I should take the Dragonite out.

For the Snorlax, I figured Return at maxed happiness+STAB would do about 150 Damage to non Rock/Steel/Fighting/Ghost Pokemon, and if i were up against one of them, Earthquake would usually do the trick. I don't have a recycle, and I'm not really sure where to get it, so I think i'll stick with Curse, which seems more useful to me anyways.

You make a good point about the Metagross's EVs, so I will change it to a defense/ sp. defense increasing nature and Train those EVs.

I'm not sure why Tyranitar shouldn't be trained with Speed EVs, since a quick focus punch could finish off most Pokemon with attack that high. Care to elaborate on that?

Metadour-2

Smash Apprentice
Metagross does just fine with Adamant. With a few good speed EVs it'll get to that 202 spd marker quick, and then a good agility and not much is outrunning it. exploding metagross is
extremely scary, his masive attack power backed by Adamant and EVs is incredible, plus explosions beastly base power and the fact that it halves defense of those it hits. stick with the BOOM.

Besides that aqua tail you wanted, if you're dying for a dragon type, i don't see what dragonite is good for doing that salamence isn't equal or better at. unless you don't like salamence, a DD-mence w/Adamant nature and max SPD and ATK EVs is just fine. Dragon Dance/Dragon Claw/EQ/Roost,Stone Edge/ Draco Meteor, it's your choice. whatever move you need most.

You got some seriously weird EVs going on with your other pokemon.
Char wants decent speed EVs, since it won't be using any speed boosting moves, i would suggest max speed and max SA since it won't be boosting that either.

The lax is fine the way it is. A little risky, yes, but its ok.
And screw the move fly. don't do it. at all. crobat can do much better.

And the lack of a ice or electric move is a dillema. i suggest scrapping one of your pokemon for a special sweeper that can handle both moves. or you could use the Dragonite to do it. whatever.

Fox Legend

Smash Apprentice
Alright, theres some good advice over here, but I've got a few questions and comments.

Can you find the Explosion and Recycle TMs in Diamond/Pearl, and if so, where?

Why would Salamence be better than Dragonite in this case. I understand that it has higher speed, but Dragonite heavily outweighs it when it comes to Defense & Sp. Defense. Also, Salamence doesn't learn Outrage, and would have to have Dragon dance bred onto him, which I really dont feel like doing right now. I'm busy enough trying to get a Curselax.

My reasoning for having Fly with Crobat is that while my opponent is Toxified and Confused, I'm gonna be up in the air healing myself with Leftovers and watching my opponent slowly die through the confusion and/or poison. It's not there primarily for attacking purposes.

Last of all, I would definitely like a Milotic, but I just can't bring myself to go through the mind-numbingly boring berry mixing stuff, plus even after a whole lot of breeding, I still dont have a Modest Feebas. But hey, if anyone wants to trade me a Good-natured Milotic, gimme a shout!

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
With Crobat you can use a Mean Look + U-turn combo. And the opposing pokemon still wouldnt be able to switch out. But you would have to take something out to add in U-turn. And with Crobats high speed and weakness to Psychic Pokemon, Psychic > Poison, U-turn should be a great move for it, then you can switch to a better pokemon that can handle that Psychic type. And U-turn is super effective against psychic types with it being a Physical Bug type move with a base of 70 atk and its accurate too.
And overall I think its something worth consideration.

Fox Legend

Smash Apprentice
That actually seems like a pretty great idea. Taking a move out would be a problem, but i'll definitely think about that. Is U-Turn a TM, and if so, where can you find it in D/P?

Metadour-2

Smash Apprentice
u-turn is a tm, and its only like 2 or 4 thousand coins at the game corner exchange. Explosion is a tm that is given at the game corner if you should succeed at setting a new bonus round record, (the default record is ten rounds) although i have no idea how to do that lol. if you find out PLEASE TELL ME. no idea about recycle though, although i know it's a tm as well.

tshahi10

Smash Ace
Your team strategizes completly wrong i must say. i mean a jolly ttar. the highest speed it can get is 243. you should have dragon danced him, which is more efficient than subpunch.(are you trying to outrun a weavile?!!)
metagross needs choiceband since you made him jolly. you said you ev trained him in spattck but you probably typoed on that. no rest or iron defence. he will die of spdfence low. rest hinders leftovers. meta gross's last slot should be eq/bullet punch
charizard's aerial ace/wa should be changed to airslash
Crobat: toxic meanlook and C-ray would be a dream, if it worked. your not gonna survive 3-4 turns
consider self destruct for snorlax, since it is pretty much useless, snd you are never gonna sweep with him. too predictable and SLOW.
you got the natures mixed up, so icant help you there.

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've recently discovered the wonders of online battles and EV training, so i decided to create my ideal Pokemon team, and I wanted suggestions/opinions on it.
Here it is:

Dragonite - Adamant (+Attack, -Sp. Attack)
Item: Anti-Confuse Berry ( i forget its name)
Dragon Dance
Aqua Tail
Outrage
Earthquake/Physical Electric move (not sure what i can use)
Strat: Use Dragon Dance if I need to get ahead on Speed, then go for quick kills with Outrage usually. EV trained for Attack and Speed

Adamant nature and Outrage? Do you realise outrage is special?

Metagross- Jolly (+Speed, - Sp. Attack)
Item: Leftovers
Hammer Arm (Fighting)
Meteor Mash (Steel)
Zen Headbutt (Psychic)
Rest/Iron Defense
Strat: Use Rest, Leftovers, and High Def/Sp. Def to absorb a lot of hits, while attacking with whatever is necessary. EV train Speed, Sp. Def, Sp. Attack

Charizard- Modest (+Sp. Attack, -Attack)
Item: Probably Charcoal (Suggestions?)
Sunny Day
Solarbeam
Flamethrower
Aerial Ace/Wing Attack
Strat: Use sunny Day, then go for Instant Solarbeam or Super Powerful Flamethrowers. EV train Sp. Attack, Defense, HP

Beware of Stealth Rock, which saps away 50% of your health. You won't be able to switch in Charizard anymore when SR is out. Also, I doubt you'll have the time to pull off a Sunny Day before you get KOd.

Tyranitar- Jolly (+Speed, -Sp. Attack)
Item- Suggestions?
Substitute
Focus Punch
Crunch
Stone Edge
Strat: Substitute for at least 1 guaranteed Focus Punch, which should kill most opponents instantly when you're Tyranitar. EV trained Speed and Attack.

Substitutes are never guaranteed. You have to predict your opponent's move to get in a Sub.

Snorlax- (+Sp. Def, -Sp. Attack)
Item- Lum Berry (wakes you up when you fall asleep)
Curse
Rest
Return
Earthquake
Strat: I love this one. Keep using curse to increase Attack and Defense until he's almost dead, then use Rest. The Lum Berry will instantly wake him up with full HP, so you then sweep the opponents party with skyrocketed Attack. EV trained Sp. Def and Def.

Liek hueg Gengar weak? You can't hurt Gengar with either Return or EQ so switch EQ with Crunch.

Crobat (+Def, -Sp. attack)
Item : Leftovers
Confuse Ray
Toxic
Mean look
Fly
Strat: I'll send Crobat out first, and screw with the status of my opponent, Mean Look him, and kick his *** with some other pokemon.

I doubt you'll want to use Fly, since it's basically giving your opponent a free turn. And if you switch Crobat out after a Mean Look, the opposing Pokemon is free to switch out again, so better use U-Turn instead of Fly.

One of the things I've noticed is that I was missing is an effective way to handle Dragon/Flying pokemon, seing as how I can't fit Ice Beam and Thunderbolt in anywhere. Any ideas for what i can do?
Hope that helped a little.

Fox Legend

Smash Apprentice
Okay, i edited my team in the first post, and fixed some of the the EV problems. Besides the Dragonite and the Charizard, I havent actually made this team yet, so all problems are still fixable.

First off, to address NGCXX's post, according to Serebii, Outrage is indeed a Physical (not special) attack, so it fits right in with the adamant Dragonite. Gengar is one of the few pokeon that my Snorlax cant harm, and I can always switch out if that coems up. If i were to take out Earthquake and add in Crunch, then all the steal and fighting Types would have the edge against me, so I dont think thats the way to go. For the Crobat, i added the U-Turn in.

Are there any particular pokemon I should add into this party to make it more effective? I'm thinking someone like Swampert or Electivire would work, but I'd take suggestions.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Perhaps you can add in Rhyperior somewhere in there? It would benefit from tyranitars sandstorm and will give rock types like himself a boost in spcl def. And you can make Metagross learn Light Screen so your Dragonite wont faint in 1 hit from a surprise hidden power (Ice).

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sorry, my fault. My memory's like a garden fence every once in a while (Yeah, this metaphor doesn't make any sense at all, I know).

But you should consider Gengar is pretty common and he basically has a free turn when he can just switch into you without any risk. Trust me, a lot of stuff doesn't like taking hits from Gengar.

Fox Legend

Smash Apprentice
Nah, I dont think Rhyperior is the best idea because although he is an awesome Pokemon, I have enough Pokemon capable of using Ground and Rock Moves. Light Screen seems good though, I think I'll add that in instead of Iron Defense. I'll consider putting in the crunch for Snorlax, but for now I think EQ is more useful.

Top Bottom