• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Noob Puff vs decent DK, tips?

c2!

Smash Rookie
So these guys from TN that I lan halo1 with occassionally sort of got me into melee, just seeing them play and getting shown a few videos of mango and whatnot, really peaked my interest. Any game with that high of a skill cap is worth playing imo.

Anyways so one of these guys who is pretty decent (at least imo) mains DK. I don't think he takes DK too seriously, but he's pretty good with him. Well, he likes to talk **** so I think it'd be funny to beat him as a nub. So my question for you veteran smashers is: if you were new to the competitive side of this game, and played puff, how would you go about giving DK the business?

I was thinking I'd just master a combo or two that ends in rest, just to maximize potential frusteration for him. Only thing is, I only have bots to practice against.. :[

Beat!

Smash Master
Uptilt --> rest
Upair --> rest
If he does a laggy move on your shield, you can jump out and instantly rest him

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Your bair beats him in terms aerial spacing. Plus what people said about up tilt & uair. Up tilt rest is godlike in this MU because DK's shield is atrocious.

Bing

Smash Master
One quick thing, you say you only have cpu's to practice against, dont just practice against level 9's. I think its like 1 or 4 thats the best for practicing combos.. someone correct if Im wrong.

c2!

Smash Rookie
:0 Why's that? Just curious if it's like a game flaw or if you just mean because they move slower. I have excellent muscle memory so that part should be easy, really it's just figuring out the hit box's and range of everything that'll be my main focus after I get the button sequence down.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
:0 Why's that? Just curious if it's like a game flaw or if you just mean because they move slower. I have excellent muscle memory so that part should be easy, really it's just figuring out the hit box's and range of everything that'll be my main focus after I get the button sequence down.
9s powershield constantly, which humans dont do, and jab you out of things when all you want is to chill and set up a spacing you're trynig to study, and low level comps actually DI better.

Bing

Smash Master
Yeah like he mentioned, they only di down, which is the easiest di to combo aka easiest thing to Uair/Uthrow/Utilt to rest.

Now uthrow to rest is still pretty easy, but still its not going to be THAT easy.

Metà

Smash Master
DI'ing her up-throw down actually does nothing. afaik doing regular DI anti-parallel to the angle of knockback essentially gives you the same result as not doing any DI

c2!

Smash Rookie
Sorry I'm extremely new to all of these terms, is there any kind of melee glossary somewhere?

Also: I generally find the best results with a roll to upthrow rest combo, also L/R B to aerial z or a up seems to be extremely effective against DK. My edge guarding game with puff seems pretty solid for being so new, so I actually tend to not have to rely on rest too often unless its catching them off guard. I'm doing all of the other tricks I've seen in videos as well, those just seem to be the most useful in this particular match up - albeit I'm only playing bots atm.

Btw if I were to record these games whenever I go back down to TN, would anyone be willing to critique the gameplay if I posted them on here? I'm very interested in getting better at this game.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Watch out for DK's bair spam, too. He also has really good throw follow-ups, but it should be a big problem for puff given how floaty she is.

If you're friend is actually a good smash player, than it might be a bit of a challenge. But if he's just someone who thinks he's good but doesn't really know how to play top level smash, you should be able to rest punish the crap of of him. I don't even play puff unless I'm at a regional cause I always 4 stock my friends with rests without any effort.

c2!

Smash Rookie
He's actually a very good smash player from what I've seen, I think I'll catch him a few times with rest combos but for the most part I'll have to just use my air game against him.

Massive

Smash Champion
I did this on Strong Bad's DK last time I played him:
Rollout. His shield is garbage and you will poke him with it on the third pass from full shield almost every time.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
You be able to bair him quite a bit... also Im pretty sure if you can get a good dair on him, that could lead right to rest....
This is kind of correct, kind of incorrect.

It's true that bair is good against him. And dair is reasonable setup for stuff over 45%.

That said, bair often carries a lot of risks against DK because a full-charged giant punch makes DK's arm invincible. This means if he predicts a bair with one charged up, he can leap into it and punch Jigglypuff pretty easily and score a KO. So you have to be careful.

Obviously it's best to prevent him from getting to that position but they're going to be trying to charge the punch at whatever opportunity presents itself. So you will have to deal with the game vs. charged DK and it's very different from the game vs. non-charged DK.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Not if Puff is spaced better (I believe she has more disjointed range) or aims for a part of DK that his bair doesn't cover. If DK's bair wins it's for the same reason that Sheik's bair wins (against Puff bair). It comes out faster and hits at an angle that Puff's bair doesn't necessarily defend her from.

But that's an incredibly ambiguous question, as are most questions regarding aerial priority between two moves with good hitboxes.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I did this on Strong Bad's DK last time I played him:
Rollout. His shield is garbage and you will poke him with it on the third pass from full shield almost every time.
you're an ******* lmao, WE WERE ON FINAL DESTINATION

KirbyKaze: DK's Giant Punch invinc isn't relevant to the full swing. It's only frame 17+18 IIRC, and that's when the shoulder hit hits. :/

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Giant Punch does have a lot of range and since it does 27% (air) or 30% (ground) it plows right through a lot of hitboxes.
I have had Fox's nair beat out Giant Punch before though. There was a lot of Sodium Chloride.

Top Bottom