• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Noob Combo (Melee/Project: M) - January 4th, 2014 - Miami, FL

EbAgItachi

Smash Cadet
What's up guys?! Arcade Odyssey is letting me host a tournament. It's a small place, but seeing as other locations have not been able to accommodate us, this will have to do.

ADDRESS: 12045 sw 117th ave, Miami, Florida 33186

I'm trying to host Melee and P:M (singles/doubles), so a max of four events. Doubles for an event will only happen if at least five teams enter for it. It's $5 for door fee and $5 for any individual event, so door fee MUST be paid if you register for anything.
12045 sw 117th ave, Miami, Florida 33186
For Melee I'm gonna stick to most of the Apex rules so...

Melee Singles Rules

Singles Stage List

Starters/Neutrals:

Yoshi’s Story
Fountain of Dreams
Battlefield
Final Destination
Dream Land

Counterpicks:

Pokemon Stadium

Doubles Stage List

Starters/Neutrals:

Yoshi’s Story
Pokemon Stadium
Battlefield
Final Destination
Dreamland 64

Counterpick:

DK 64

General Rules
  • Items are set to off
  • Stock and time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes, respectively
  • Wobbling is not banned
  • Double Blind: If elected
  • Neutral Start: If elected
  • DSR Modified will be used (you can not pick the last stage you won on)
  • Coaching is only allowed between matches
  • Team attack is ON
  • Life sharing IS allowed
Matches that time out will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, the match should be replayed in full. Sudden Death is not to be played, and will not count. A player/team may not counterpick to the stage they last won on. This includes the first match won via stage striking.

(There's a high chance that I'll eliminate the need for the following rule by turning pause OFF. And I will go out of my way to ensure that pause is turned OFF for all doubles matches.)

Pausing the game shall only be legal while either player remains upon their OWN respawn platform, and only for the purpose of summoning a tournament official or in the case of a controller malfunction. All other pauses will incur a stock loss to the player who pauses the game.

How to play a set:

1.Players select their characters. Either player may elect to Double Blind
2.Use Stage Striking to determine the first stage
3.The players play the first match of the set
4.Winning player of the preceding match chooses his character
5.The losing player of the preceding match picks a stage for the next match and his character.
6. Repeat steps 4-5 until the set it concluded.

All events will be double elimination. All regular sets will be Bo5. Semis/Finals will be Bo7.

Project: M Rules (Version 3.0 with Impulse 2013 ruleset)

Project: M Singles

Singles Starters/Neutrals:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium 2
Dreamland (64)
Fountain of Dreams
Yoshi's Story (Melee)
Yoshi's Island

Project: M Doubles

Doubles Starters/Neutrals:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium 2
Dreamland (64)
SSE Jungle
  • 4 Stock 8 Minute Time Limit
  • Items set to “None”
  • Pause set to “Off”
  • Either player may call for a Double Blind character selection for the first match.
  • Dave's Modified Stupid Rule: A player may not counterpick the last stage he won on in a set.
  • Controller port is determined by Rock Paper Scissors if it can't be agreed upon. For doubles, the controller ports must be 1-2-2-1.
  • For doubles, Team Attack is on and life stealing is allowed. Remember that Attack+Special, not the Pause button, is used to steal lives.
  • Pausing during a match, unless okayed by the other player, will result in the loss of one stock for the pauser. (Again, I'll make sure pause is turned OFF for all teams matches)
  • If time runs out, the person with the most stock left (or least % if they are equal) wins. If the % is equal as well, play a 1 stock 3 minute match, same characters and stage.
  • If the match goes to sudden death due to a suicide move (Ganon's side-B, Kirby/DDD's swallow, holding someone in a grab on a platform as it moves out of the boundaries, etc.), the one who initiated the move wins.
  • Buffer set to OFF.
  • Custom controls are allowed, but controllers modified to enhance performance are not. No turbo buttons, etc. However, removing the springs from shoulder buttons or replacing a thumbstick with a different thumbstick are ok.
  • Custom music is allowed as long as it's not too distracting, but any textures or vertex hacks outside of the official team color textures are not.
  • In the event that the game crashes or the TV/Wii loses power in the middle of a match, that match will be restarted from the beginning with the same characters and stage. If a player uses a known glitch to intentionally crash the game or otherwise make it unfinishable, that player may be forced to forfeit the match or be DQed at the TO's discretion.
  • No excessive stalling (this includes abusing Jiggs' Rising Pound and Mario's Up-B Walljump)
  • No coaching during a match. Consulting someone between matches is allowed as long as it doesn't hold up the next match.
  • Both players may agree to any rule or stage outside the tournament rules.
Schedule
Arcade opens at 12:00 pm. I'm going to be there around 1 to set things up. I highly recommend arriving as early as possible if you want to warm up with friendlies or do any money matches.

2pm - 3pm: Melee/P:M Doubles Registration
(MAKE SURE TO BE EARLY IF YOU PLAN ON ENTERING A DOUBLES EVENT)

2pm - 5pm : Melee/P:M Singles Registration

3:30 : Melee Doubles

5:30 : Melee Singles

Melee/P:M Singles will start 45 minutes after Doubles ends. Take advantage of this time to take care of food and other goodies.

Payout for Singles:

1st - 40%
2nd - 30%
3rd - 20%
4th - 10%

Payout for Doubles:

1st - 60%
2nd - 30%
3rd - 10%

If only 5 teams enter, Doubles payout will all go to the first place winners.

Bring your own controller!

- PLEASE bring a Gamecube or Wii if you have one. Every extra setup makes a tournament go that much smoother. For the Melee and P:M players, PLEASE try to bring a CRT television if you have the ability to transport one that isn't ridiculously heavy or cumbersome. It won't matter if we have 30 setups if no one brings TVs (Please don't bring a flat screen).

- It's in the community's best interest to maintain a level of respect that you would consider above average. If things are getting hype, try to keep the profanity to a minimum. It is an arcade after all, so there will most likely be little kids and families and such wandering around who have nothing to do with Smash. Keep their presence in mind at all times.

Other than that, I hope as much of South Florida can attend this event. This is the first event I've hosted at Arcade Odyssey but the staff are super friendly and eager to help us out in an way they can. They also have a wide variety of snacks and drinks at the counter if you need a refreshment, so help out da biz.

Some people are planning to have a few recording setups as well as a livestream to make this extra hype.

Hope everyone can come out to this, it should be a great event!

~Rula :falcomelee::happysheep:

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
given the prices for gas these days, it's going to be fairly pricy. but since this is a couple months away, I think I can save up to come to this... perhaps explore around and find a local scene to hang around during my stay. :b:

out of idle curiosity, will this be streamed or recorded in any way? it'd be nice for me to rewatch my performance should I attempt the Melee singles.

EbAgItachi

Smash Cadet
given the prices for gas these days, it's going to be fairly pricy. but since this is a couple months away, I think I can save up to come to this... perhaps explore around and find a local scene to hang around during my stay. :b:

out of idle curiosity, will this be streamed or recorded in any way? it'd be nice for me to rewatch my performance should I attempt the Melee singles.
I've been speaking with the arcade and they said they'll try to help us out with an internet connection so we can stream. Regardless, I know for a fact that there will be at LEAST 1 recording setup with commentary capabilities, so you should have no problem getting as many matches as you want recorded/uploaded at a later time.

Also if gas is a huge issue I recommend joining the South Florida Melee group on Facebook if you haven't already. You can ask around to see if someone can give you a ride so you don't have to suffer the expenses alone. We'll be happy to have you!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/159234920826366/

MegamanX20100

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1590-4724-7065
Aw yeah, this is gonna be my first tournament... I am so excited!

Barring any odd circumstances, I'll almost certainly be attending for the Melee Singles.

I won't RSVP just yet since I still am a bit anxious about going. First-time jitters? :/

Regardless, I will probably make my decision for certain within this week.

Until then, time to practice, I guess!

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
given the circumstances as of lately, the PM build will be 3.0, right? I know it's a stupid question , but this WAS posted before the release date was announced, so I'm just double checking.

disregard that question, I just saw the update stating such...

MegamanX20100

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1590-4724-7065
I have finally decided.

I will come.

However, I have RSVP'd as "Maybe" just because the date is too far off for me to be 100% certain that I CAN come.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
I've been speaking with the arcade and they said they'll try to help us out with an internet connection so we can stream. Regardless, I know for a fact that there will be at LEAST 1 recording setup with commentary capabilities, so you should have no problem getting as many matches as you want recorded/uploaded at a later time.
just sort of checking in on progress so far, how are things regarding the internet connection?

also, I know there's some large scenes in Pensacola and Tallahassee, but what about over there in Miami? given it's a big city and all that, I would assume there's be quite a few places to visit for frequent Smash and stuff, but I've not been there since I was little, so I don't know the area well... so just figured I'd make sure.

SpaceJello

Smash Apprentice
yoo im coming. im not going to play though, but im going to bring my mic and comp so i can stream and commentate. ill also bring my p:m setup.

EbAgItachi

Smash Cadet
just sort of checking in on progress so far, how are things regarding the internet connection?

also, I know there's some large scenes in Pensacola and Tallahassee, but what about over there in Miami? given it's a big city and all that, I would assume there's be quite a few places to visit for frequent Smash and stuff, but I've not been there since I was little, so I don't know the area well... so just figured I'd make sure.

I'm still not sure about what the situation is regarding internet connection, but I'll have a better idea after December 20th because I'll be at the arcade in person and hopefully get some solid answers. I'll update everyone ASAP.

There's a good scene from Miami all the way up to Boca with dozens of people scattered in between. Just let us know where you are and there's a high chance of someone being close by and down to play especially if it's a weekend.

xHermit

Smash Cadet
NNID
EcksDee
How big is this projected to get? It'll be my birthday weekend and I was just confirmed on getting a hotel if I go lol.

MegamanX20100

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1590-4724-7065
Unless something unusual happens, I'm coming, no questions asked.

I await your update for the probability of a stream. Plenty of my friends want to watch me take on this tournament, but not many would be able to go to the site; I've made it pretty known at my school, and a lot of my closer friends really want to cheer me on.

Speaking of which, huge shoutout to those friends of mine. Even though they're not competitive gamers, they're still wanting to support me and cheer me on in my first ever tournament. I love them with all my heart.

I'm also interested in what xHermit asked. I wish to know how big this is projected to get, as well.

EbAgItachi

Smash Cadet
I honestly don't really know, but I can give some estimates based of previous events at this venue.

Previous events at Arcade Odyssey were all on Fridays with the tournaments starting somewhere between 6-7:30pm, so that's pretty late. The last 3 events I went to had like 15-20 entrants for each game with maybe 35 people total.

This event I'm hosting though will be different in the sense that it's going to be on a Saturday, so more people should be able to come, as opposed to a Friday night where most people are getting out of work and are too tired to consider going.

The event page on Facebook has about 20 people saying they're going. I'd expect it the final turnout to be anywhere 30+ people. You're gonna want to be there, though. The best in South Florida will be there so keep that in mind :seuss:

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
best we can hope for is to spread the word and see if more people will be willing to come. worst case scenario, though, even if an internet connection is unlikely, there's always the option of uploading it on youtube later. might do wonders to post it on wherever the results will be posted, and I don't mean just one place, either.

MegamanX20100

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1590-4724-7065
*heart rate triples*

Man, the best in South Florida... It makes me kind of anxious, but also ten times more excited!

Can't wait to see the final turnout, and also can't wait to play, regardless of the result.

I'll be around probably right as setup starts (at 1:00pm) to try and participate in as many friendlies as I can (since this is my first tournament, I'm looking more for experience than anything else). I'll be able to bring a Gamecube, but I don't have any valid TV's to bring, unfortunately.

EbAgItachi

Smash Cadet
*heart rate triples*

Man, the best in South Florida... It makes me kind of anxious, but also ten times more excited!

Can't wait to see the final turnout, and also can't wait to play, regardless of the result.

I'll be around probably right as setup starts (at 1:00pm) to try and participate in as many friendlies as I can (since this is my first tournament, I'm looking more for experience than anything else). I'll be able to bring a Gamecube, but I don't have any valid TV's to bring, unfortunately.

You're gonna have a great time man, especially if you only focus on performance instead of results. I'm sure people have told you already, but no one places very well their first event, so don't worry too much about that. Bring whatever equipment you can (I'll have 3 tvs, someone else is bringing 2, and several other people are bringing one each so we should be good), and just focus on learning as much as possible.

I'll try to be there at 1pm so we can definitely practice a bit before everyone else shows up. It's gonna be awesome.

MegamanX20100

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1590-4724-7065
I'm sure it is! I really can't tell you just how hyped I am for this event! It's all that has been on my mind, mostly because of the ability to find people with similar skill levels.

...However, I should first get past the semester finals at my school, which start Friday... >___>

mesa23

Smash Journeyman
i'm gonna try to go to this. if i do go, i'll probably bring a tv, a cube, and if i happen to obtain a copy of brawl before then (which might happen), a wii with p:m. oh, and like 3 or 4 friends.

MegamanX20100

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1590-4724-7065
Past my first midterm! YEAH!

I may also be able to bring a Wii with Project: M. So, basically, I'll have everything BUT a TV for the tournament. It feels so incomplete... T_T

I know this seems obvious, but I might as well ask as a just in case (I could ALWAYS be wrong >___>)... If I do bring the Wii along, I should bring the Composite cables, right?

Still looking for any friends to bring to this event. I've hyped up way more of my friends than I thought I would, and I think at least half of my grade is gonna be backing me in this tournament. For just trying to start out in entry-level, I've got a lot of people faithful in me. Let's see how I deal in the actual spotlight, though!

EbAgItachi

Smash Cadet
So hyped for PM.

Also, this is at an arcade correct? Do they have a Street Fighter machine?

I'm pretty sure they do.

I know this seems obvious, but I might as well ask as a just in case (I could ALWAYS be wrong >___>)... If I do bring the Wii along, I should bring the Composite cables, right?

Go ahead and bring them just in case, but don't be surprised if no one wants to use them.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
a street fighter machine wouldn't be surprising...

a DanceDanceRevolution machine of at least SuperNOVA2 is a different story... those things are getting less and less common as I've noticed. it'd be nice to see on of those there, be a great way to let off steam if I get salty.

MegamanX20100

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1590-4724-7065
I agree with you on that, Pheonix, with the letting off steam. Too bad it also is just tiring if you play it a lot.

Time to bring my extensive amount of quarters for when I happen to not be playing Melee, haha!

...I'm serious, I think I have upwards of $30 in quarters. It's kind of strange, actually. XD

Obviously, my main focus will be the Melee Singles tournament, but I would like something to do in my downtime there as well, lol. Random fact about me is that jumping around and moving about (just plain being energetic) makes me much more relaxed, and I know I'm gonna need to do stuff like that to keep my nerves in check.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
heh, on the contrary, when I can't sit still is when I have the least amount of focus. as for DDR being tiring... I dunno, you'd be surprised how much energy I suddenly get when I'm pissed. I'll be focusing on the Project M tourney, though, I'll think about doubles, but as for Melee, I just can't seem to get the tech stuff down as consistently, so I'd probably be toasted fast.

I'll also see about bringing my 3DS as well, I heard Apex will also have Pokemon X & Y as well as Smash and some other games, so why not bring over an additional game or two to keep me occupied if I get too bored. I'd also bring Kid Icarus: Uprising, but my L-button doesn't work, and I don't know enough of the 3DS to dare attempt fixing it myself despite my thoughts that something might have gotten jammed in there.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
...all right, sorry for double posting, but reeeeal off-the-wall question. does anyone here happen to work at gamestop...?

I asked my folks to pick up a couple gift cards for a friend on their way to billiards league, and when one of them made mention of "a smash bros tournament in Miami" that I was going to (obviously this one), the guy said he heard of it...

now, I don't recall seeing any other tournaments in Miami listed in this board that's coming up soon...so if someone on here works at a gamestop in Calloway, FL... I'd like to know :grin:

EbAgItachi

Smash Cadet
Just edited the 'How to play a set' section. We're going to make regular sets best of 5 (Bo5) with semifinals and finals being best of 7 (Bo7).

DiZZ

Smash Apprentice
Is it to late to enter ? I live in fort ladrerdale and would love to test my skills against sfl :D

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
I'll be coming to this.

Edit: Also feel free to approach me at this event and tell me how you want a tournament to be in Lake Worth. I'll be looking to do the same if there's enough crowd draw in next year.

DiZZ

Smash Apprentice
Nice welp you will definitely see me at this tourney

Alejandro Correa

Smash Rookie
Hey new guy here. This will be my first tournament, I can bring a Wii with project M and a couple controllers. Maybe a CRT also. Do I need to RSVP or just show up with the money?

EbAgItachi

Smash Cadet
Hey new guy here. This will be my first tournament, I can bring a Wii with project M and a couple controllers. Maybe a CRT also. Do I need to RSVP or just show up with the money?

No RSVP required. Just show up on time with da cash and you'll be fine. Like I've told other people, try to show up early since this is your first tournament so you can get a lot of friendlies in before the events actually start.

Deep2

Smash Apprentice
I will be here! This will also be my first tournament, are there any really good smashers in the SF area I can look forward to playing against?

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
I don't want to unintentionally sound offensive, but I find it rather funny how this tournament marks the debut of quite a few players IRL (myself included)... makes the name sound rather fitting.

EbAgItachi

Smash Cadet
I don't want to unintentionally sound offensive, but I find it rather funny how this tournament marks the debut of quite a few players IRL (myself included)... makes the name sound rather fitting.

I don't think anyone could find anything offensive with that observation. It's actually a great thing if an event brings out a bunch of new people. It gets boring when it's the same players entering constantly. That being said, there will be pro combos happening throughout the day as well as noob combos :D

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
I don't think anyone could find anything offensive with that observation. It's actually a great thing if an event brings out a bunch of new people. It gets boring when it's the same players entering constantly. That being said, there will be pro combos happening throughout the day as well as noob combos :D
you'd be surprised what kinds of very sensitive and overreactive people I have to deal with regularly. that being said, I hope I don't come across as elitist when I start playing... because once I get riled up, I unwittingly tend to forget most aspects of sportsmanship until a moment after, once I collect myself. probably helps that this will be my first big event, so hopefully I won't be the only one with this lack of hype control during a match. >,<

Top Bottom