• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Noob Aura Warrior Needs Help

lilbigman

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0104-0283-4174
Hi guys, I believe this is my first post on smashboards... Anyway, feels good to join! Ive been playing smash melee and project m for a while with my mains being falcon and lucario respectively. I decided to pick up smash 4 and obviously the game is not the same as melee or pm. I want to main Lucario though because he is my favorite pokemon :p

After almost three weeks of playing for hours on end, my win rate in for glory sits at about 68%. Which is kinda good I guess... I noticed many players have trouble against fast characters but this is not my case, I feel like fast characters such as Sanic ZSS or Sheik are easily predictable and tend to run into aura spheres, dairs, and high % FP a lot. Not to mention shield grabs and U-smash out of shield. My play style tends to focus on grabbing and stringing combos at low % and then using aura sphere, double team, force palm, and smashes to punish at high %. I think Lucario works really well that way. That being said, I need help against a few characters....

In order from most to least help (especially the top 5):
-Rosalina
-Duck Hunt
-Mario (Doc is not as common but I´ve seen a few good ones too )
-Villager
-Ness
-Toon Link (Link Link too, but not as much since he has more lag and is slower, so he is more punishable)
-Samus
-Lil Mac... Ok I know he isn't that good (i Bthrow him off the stage and Bair him a lot, and aura spheres...) but I've met a few that reeaaaaally gave me trouble especially spot dodgy ones.

People who spot dodge a lot give me a lot of trouble (since i like to grab so much) is there anything you guys do with this? Also, If theres anything essential to the lucario player that I should practice (especially combos and other neat tricks, more importantly if there are any character specific tricks) let me know!!

What are some of your worst match ups with Lucario??? What do you try to do against these? Just curious. Thanks!

Last edited:

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Welcome, @ lilbigman lilbigman

Rosalina's pretty easy if you don't go aggro with Luma around. A well-placed, quick dash attack will send Luma to its doom. She has no projectiles outside of Luma, so... Nothing bad is going to happen if you're mid-long range away from both of them and decide to charge up Aura Sphere. Force Palm at high % can hit both when they are together. Don't be deceived by her weird spacing. Don't get DAir happy either because USmash seems like her most powerful move.

Duck Hunt is meh when it comes to CQC and if they have to approach when you are a stock ahead, aside from their spammy B and Side B they really have a hard time. Learn the range of their smashes. The can normally takes 8 pings before it explodes (unless if it hits you, it will explode) I believe.

Mario's really solid this game. His weakness is his recovery. Try throwing him offstage and FAiring/footstool gimping him or something. Avoid doing laggy moves when he is near you on the ground unless if you know they'll hit because he can retaliate pretty quickly. If you get caught in an early grab and he tries DThrow->UTilt try footstooling his head to get out of it quickly. Don't challenge his USmash with DAir unless if you know it'll hit, since his head is invincible for some reason. If he commits to a close range fireball you can likely hit him with Double Team. If you think he'll cape your Smash attack, consider using DSmash.

Villager, I'm not too sure on this matchup what exactly is the most safe. Don't predictably Aura Sphere the tree, that's a trap to Pocket it. Lloid can be out prioritized with Aura Sphere at higher %, but make sure you can hit the Villager in the ending frames of it because smarter ones will pocket it. You can hit the Villager through Lloid with Force Palm too, but I haven't studied this matchup enough. Not sure if you can duck under Slingshot, but if so that'll make punishing landings easier. Don't get bowling balled when recovering :< adjust your Extreme Speed accordingly. Don't challenge Villager's UAir with DAir.

Ness is really solid in this game too, his roll is below average and easily punishable. Like Mario he will not like being offstage and I'm sure you're familiar with how to gimp Ness. If they get easily predictable with FAir/Dash Attack you always have Double Team as an option. DI/SDI up and away and mash jump if you know you'll get hit by PK Fire. Our Dash Attack strangely can also go over it. If he's right above you and he's probably gonna try to NAir/DAir its fairly easy to hit him with USmash. Oh and Shield DI/SDI towards him when he Dash Attacks or lands with his FAir. Easier to grab him then.

Links love their projectiles. Know when to outprioritize them to force approaches (and learn the timing on the bombs). Or you can just Double Team them too if you can't perfect shield them on WiFi. If they use both hits of FSmash on your shield. Easiest Force Palm. Ever.

I made a giant post on the Samus matchup http://smashboards.com/threads/matchup-discussion.371895/page-3#post-17895179

Little Mac has to approach characters with projectiles. Use your Aura Sphere wisely. Matador bait and throw him offstage as always. If he tries to counter often, charge that FSmash up a little more and he will not be too happy about that. If he tries rapid jabbing your shield know when you can roll behind him for punishment. I wonder if we have any pummel release options...

If people spam spotdodge you can Aura Sphere charge them, time a pivot grab, or a charged Smash. There's a good chance if you go in for a Force Palm that they'll get hit by the flame if they try to

In general practice Aura Sphere BReversals because it will open up many more options. (My win rate is around 81% in For Glory, I screw around a lot in it.)

Last edited:

lilbigman

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0104-0283-4174
@ MythTrainerInfinity MythTrainerInfinity

Thanks man I really appreciate it!! Yeah I haven't noticed AS BReversals existed until I read a few posts here... Definitely practicing them a lot now. I'll have to try and perfect all of these great options. Thanks!!!

lilbigman

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0104-0283-4174

By the way, is it just me or does Villager have an insanely small tumble animation? Every time i Uthrow him and try to string it with nair uair or fair I get Daired by him whereas other characters can't get out of it... What do you suggest doing here? I usually just fast fall without putting an attack out letting them turnip and then Usmash away, but smarter ones just get out and Di away when I try that

Do you know anything about frame trapping? I´ve heard of it but never really understood what it is or how to do it :p

Last edited:

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607

By the way, is it just me or does Villager have an insanely small tumble animation? Every time i Uthrow him and try to string it with nair uair or fair I get Daired by him whereas other characters can't get out of it... What do you suggest doing here? I usually just fast fall without putting an attack out letting them turnip and then Usmash away, but smarter ones just get out and Di away when I try that

Do you know anything about frame trapping? I´ve heard of it but never really understood what it is or how to do it :p
Frame trapping is hitting someone where they cannot avoid it. Characters have landing lag, so I like to frametrap their landing with Aura Spheres.

Hmm after a little testing... Villager does seem to go too high for the UThrow combos. Probably should see what BThrow silliness you can do...

Top Bottom