• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No up-grab usage?

KirbStomp

Smash Rookie
I've watched a lot of Kirby videos and noticed that many people use the forward and back grabs.

The back grab is basically the worst of the four, the forward does small damage as well, only good for comboing, which I rarely ever see.

I see mostly the down-grab, which while does slightly more damage, does not propel the opponent very far, and isn't too useful for comboing.

Few people use the up-grab, which does moderate damage, but sends the opponent flying, as well as changing the fighting location to a higher spot, where Kirby is in the open and has more potential with his aerial-superiority.

Anyways, just wanna hear your thoughts.

edit** also could be since everyone is scared to death of kirbicides, but that's been removed in Brawl, unless you're on a moving platform.

Mike_Echoes

Smash Journeyman
Forward Throw is good combo to Fair or Hammer. Down throw to Utilt and Uair. I find Back throw useful on and edge where I can attempt to spike with Final Cutter. Up throw sends them high, which I guess would work well with Uairs

feardragon64

Smash Champion
I've had a few times where there was an opponent who I just couldn't get a **** killing blow to, but I could get in shots to rack up damage but had nearly no knockback. Eventually, I just did an up-throw and killed em =]. I mean, it has SOME uses, but it's definitely not something for bringing up damage. Kirby has good air superiority against a lot of characters, but some characters(marth for example) just destroy him in high up in the air. Honestly, the best use I have for it is when a character like pit or meta has godly horizontal recovery and I just want to juggle them up for a sky-death.

drSuper

Smash Apprentice
I very rarely use his b-throw. Only if the edge of the stage is behind me, and I want better positioning. His up throw is good just for mixing it up. Instead of just using d-throw and degrading the move. It does a good amount of damage, and as feardragon said can kill at high %'s

Zro

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4356-1415-1117
well i mostly use down throw due to the damage it does and combo ability, same with forward throw.... i never use the up throw at low percents because it is a great kill move at high percent, and its very unwise to over use a move that kills the enemy

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
I use Kirby's DThrow at lower percentages, I switch to FThrow/UThrow to bring the fight into the air. I don't like BThrow. I find my self not using UThrow to kill because they're usually dead before that UTHrow can potentially kill them :p And there's quicker ways to kill.

AND: I don't even think you could Kirbycide on a moving platform; last time I tried trying to throw with all of Kirby's Throws (Other than DThrow) He hit ground of nothingness. That is, he landed as if the platform was still there. While I'm not exactly sure it if he DOES hit nothingness because maybe he just barely scathed the moving platform, but really.

I could test it but I lack any kind of recording device. :(

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Well you're wrong about the other throws. They are excellent combo-starters. The F-throw starts off the 0-death combo, you can chain F-throws to U-airs, Hammers, or F-airs. The D-throw leads up into U-tilts and U-airs. The B-throw can be used when facing away from the ledge to get someone off the stage and lead into Fairs and Dairs.

You're right about the U-throw though, that noone uses it a lot. But it combos into the Final Cutter, Stairway to Heaven, and at higher percents it's a useful KO move.

Eten

Smash Ace
Umm....
Throws are subject to diminishing strength and knockback. It actually feels like to me the rate it reduces in strength is faster than normal moves, I judge this on how Luigi's Backthrow has excellent killing power, but if it is used fresh just a little bit too soon and it doesn't kill, future backthrows quickly fall off and become unable to kill.

For kirby, I think the forward throw gives you the most combo options and works at slightly higher % than the downthrow, which only really combos into uptilt, while fthrow can go into fair or another fthrow, both of which can lead to more combo, and I'm sure there is more, and fthrow works great for some other setups that aren't actually combos, like fthrow to hammer. Also, using these ones frequently is only a good thing, reducing the knockback so you can still have combos out of them at slightly higher %, although all of the throw combos are low %.

Upthrow really, at best, only setups for a uair, doesn't have nearly the combo options of the other two. However, I think the upthrow is seriously underutilized as an off-the-top killing option. Kirby has great normal killing options, of course, and upsmash does alright in vertical KOs, but on stages like Shadow Moses Island with walls or Corneria with the close ceiling, a fresh upthrow can KO completely vertically at reasonable percents.

backthrow is meh, only good for positioning.

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
Kirby's u-throw isn't used much mostly because it was only good in Melee because it was his strongest and the only one that didn't leave him open. Now it does less, and Kirby can lead the other grabs into combos. And you have to hit up dead on, or you end up doing a f-grab or b-grab (don't know why...). But it still is reliable in the right situations.

Adriel

Smash Journeyman
Up-throw can kirbycide on the edge of the right side of the middle platform on skyworld. It can also be used on shadow moses island when you up-throw your opponent while your back is facing the towers. This allows for kills at very low percentages.

Gindler

Smash Champion
I always use the upthrow (I think it's called throw instead of grab). Right after using it a quick final cutter usually catches them in it. and it kills at about 160 if for some reason you can't land the over powered Fsmash. Oh and it looks the coolest.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Up throw can combo into f-air fence of pain if the opponent doesn't DI at around mid %. I find b-throw the worst of the four. It really doesn't do much damage and the trajectory that it sends its opponents in is not that great even for combos.

DarKirby92

Smash Cadet
i only do u-throw when the opponent is between 145-165%, which is the average killing range for that throw (depending on the stage), but that is usually it. Other than killing, it knocks back too far to do any combos and good players always air-dodge as u follow them up.

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
u-throw is nice to add a little damage thats all. but its not a useless move.

kirbstomp is the team name i usually go into doubles tourneys when i play as kirby in them lol.

SLIVRphantasm

Smash Cadet
i usally use back and foward and down throw because i can combo easily with final cuter and air hammer up throw is harder to combo with and it doesnt do much %

rklamer

Smash Cadet
"I see mostly the down-grab, which while does slightly more damage, does not propel the opponent very far, and isn't too useful for comboing."

You're kidding, right? It's the best of the four for comboing. Depending on the character, you can usually get about 30%-50% by comboing with dthrows/utilts/uairs/usmashes.

T.G.I.T

Smash Rookie
I have a friend who uses Ice Climbers, and I think kiby's up throw is the best because while you grab one Ice Climber, the other one cant smash you like in other character's throws

Lovely

Smash Lord
I use up grabs the most. It kills anyone around 180ish or such. But I also use this to avoid getting hit by another player. His Up grab is his strongest grab, so that's why I use his Up grab the most. ;D

IR.O.B.edC.Falcon

Smash Apprentice
I use the up throw to get around stages with platforms. My friends like to play on created stages with many platforms, and jumping around all the time is a pain.

Red.Tide

Smash Cadet
"I see mostly the down-grab, which while does slightly more damage, does not propel the opponent very far, and isn't too useful for comboing."

You're kidding, right? It's the best of the four for comboing. Depending on the character, you can usually get about 30%-50% by comboing with dthrows/utilts/uairs/usmashes.
Anyone smart enough to repeatedly hit the jump button while they are being dthrown will not take much damage from this. My friend, as Pit, who is not one of the floatiest characters, was able to double jump away from me before I could hit him with an uptilt, grabbing him at 0%.

Fthrow can always be combo'd into uair, and then more depending on the character. Kirby can do 51% to Falco if he grabs him from 0% (grab, fthrow, uair, fastfall, grab, wait for maybe .75 seconds, uair, fsmash). This is hard to do, partly because you have to hold forward the whole time in the air, while doing uairs. (of course, I'm a nunchuk noob, so I don't have a c-stick)

Fox and Wolf (and maybe C. Falcon and Bowser) can be dealt over 40% (grab, fthrow, uair, fastfall, grab, uair, fastfall, ftilt. Or you can go for swallow instead of ftilt, but they might roll out of it)

Medium characters (for instance, D3 or Pit) can be dealt over 30% (grab, fthrow, uair, fastfall, turn around, utilt, SH'd bair).

Forward throw is the best for comboing.

Oh, and I pretty much got these combos from Gonzo's video. Search 'Code Blue Kirby' on Youtube.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Anyone smart enough to repeatedly hit the jump button while they are being dthrown will not take much damage from this. My friend, as Pit, who is not one of the floatiest characters, was able to double jump away from me before I could hit him with an uptilt, grabbing him at 0%.

Fthrow can always be combo'd into uair, and then more depending on the character. Kirby can do 51% to Falco if he grabs him from 0% (grab, fthrow, uair, fastfall, grab, wait for maybe .75 seconds, uair, fsmash). This is hard to do, partly because you have to hold forward the whole time in the air, while doing uairs. (of course, I'm a nunchuk noob, so I don't have a c-stick)

Fox and Wolf (and maybe C. Falcon and Bowser) can be dealt over 40% (grab, fthrow, uair, fastfall, grab, uair, fastfall, ftilt. Or you can go for swallow instead of ftilt, but they might roll out of it)

Medium characters (for instance, D3 or Pit) can be dealt over 30% (grab, fthrow, uair, fastfall, turn around, utilt, SH'd bair).

Forward throw is the best for comboing.

Oh, and I pretty much got these combos from Gonzo's video. Search 'Code Blue Kirby' on Youtube.
I'm pretty sure those 40% and 50% combos only work on computers or complete noobs, after I get Fthrow a kirby is lucky to get one Uair in if any, then again I use yoshi and his super armor to help me out. Anyhoo this might works on someone once in their lifetime before they're ready for it.

Top Bottom