• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No title.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tm730

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4227-1256-0282
you're familiar because you're half black? it seems you want to push a stereotype while at the same time absolving yourself of any race related guilt in doing so

but anyways

the hip hop pushed today is done by record company execs to help lowkey push an agenda. the more varied, authentic music is more underground

it is no less contributing to society than other genres nowadays.

dont put the onus on that on just hip hop just because it mentioned murder and drug use. these things existed before hip hop and will continue to exist

GeZ

Smash Lord
It seems like you've managed to listen exclusively to the main stream crap, which paints anything in a bad light. Like Mac said, you're not very familiar with this genre.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
If the entirety of Hip-Hop, Rap, and R&B is all about reveling in the hedonistic excess of wealth and social standing, then all of Country music is about reveling in the hedonistic excess of trucks, booze, guns, and God, and all Metal music is about reveling in the hedonistic excess requisite in the worshiping of Satan***.

I don't listen to Hippity-Happy Rap-a-Roo & Bass, but I can say that as an enthusiast of Metal, the common stereotypes and generalizations break down as familiarity with the genre expands. Some subgenres of Metal tend toward use violent and gory lyrics, for instance, but not all. Some groups invoke Satanic themes and lyricism, but not all. Some people who listen to Metal have long hair, wear leather, get piercings and tattoos, but not all.

I would imagine that the same holds true for any genre of music.

The Map is not the Territory. The encapsulation of the whole (presented by mainstream media or otherwise) does not necessarily encapsulate the intricacies of the landscape that exists out there.

If one must take issue with anything, take issue with those who "push" this brand of problematic (?) HH/R/R&B onto mainstream (i.e. widely-available) platforms. A gun does not fire in a vacuum; it requires a finger. Snorting crack may lead a person to harm or kill someone due to impaired judgement, but it is a person who snorted the stuff to begin with. If crack could sprout arms and legs and eyes, would it go around trolling and killing people?

Likewise, these mind-rotting, soul-deconsacrating beats and the (apparent) culture that surrounds it has to be conceived by someone, reinforced by someone, perpetuated on the mainstream radio and elsewhere by someone. We can thus infer a course of action; if you have a problem with something, investigate where the problem came from -- its root cause(s) -- and see if you can do anything to address the root(s), depending on your goal.

Lastly, if we supposed HHRR&B really did embody all of the ideals outlined in the OP, then what? What happens now? What happens next? The OP proposes that these genres of music promote a set of memes, but says nothing about why this is relevant, what point they seek to make, what case there is to defend (or oppose), or anything else. These styles of music could be all about Sex, Drugs, Money, and Fame. But music that is not heard does nothing. So saying HHRR&B is all about those things tells us nothing about what we should do with this information.

Such are the armchair reflections of Sehnsucht, esq.

***Jazz, clearly, is all about reveling in hedonistic excess as a principle.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
for your reference, here are some examples of hip hop songs that promote good ideals:

Lil Jon promotes education

Eminem and Run The Jewels talk about being in love and the importance of healthy relationships:

T-pain shows why valuing oneself is important for your health

Afro Man discusses the perils of doing drugs

tm730

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4227-1256-0282
for your reference, here are some examples of hip hop songs that promote good ideals:

Lil Jon promotes education

Eminem and Run The Jewels talk about being in love and the importance of healthy relationships:

T-pain shows why valuing oneself is important for your health

Afro Man discusses the perils of doing drugs
notice how Killer Mike stresses the importance of consent on that Run the Jewels song (do you ask him pretty please?)

Big Homie

Smash Rookie
NNID
DTx_Casper
i think eminems crazy in love song is more about how he feels about the industry "you let me beat the sh*t out you before you beat the sh*t out me* the way i interpret that em is saying he can expose the truth about the industry but the industry can turn on him and make him a target by the media as done so before

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
If the entirety of Hip-Hop, Rap, and R&B is all about reveling in the hedonistic excess of wealth and social standing, then all of Country music is about reveling in the hedonistic excess of trucks, booze, guns, and God, and all Metal music is about reveling in the hedonistic excess requisite in the worshiping of Satan***.

I don't listen to Hippity-Happy Rap-a-Roo & Bass, but I can say that as an enthusiast of Metal, the common stereotypes and generalizations break down as familiarity with the genre expands. Some subgenres of Metal tend toward use violent and gory lyrics, for instance, but not all. Some groups invoke Satanic themes and lyricism, but not all. Some people who listen to Metal have long hair, wear leather, get piercings and tattoos, but not all.

I would imagine that the same holds true for any genre of music.

The Map is not the Territory. The encapsulation of the whole (presented by mainstream media or otherwise) does not necessarily encapsulate the intricacies of the landscape that exists out there.

If one must take issue with anything, take issue with those who "push" this brand of problematic (?) HH/R/R&B onto mainstream (i.e. widely-available) platforms. A gun does not fire in a vacuum; it requires a finger. Snorting crack may lead a person to harm or kill someone due to impaired judgement, but it is a person who snorted the stuff to begin with. If crack could sprout arms and legs and eyes, would it go around trolling and killing people?

Likewise, these mind-rotting, soul-deconsacrating beats and the (apparent) culture that surrounds it has to be conceived by someone, reinforced by someone, perpetuated on the mainstream radio and elsewhere by someone. We can thus infer a course of action; if you have a problem with something, investigate where the problem came from -- its root cause(s) -- and see if you can do anything to address the root(s), depending on your goal.

Lastly, if we supposed HHRR&B really did embody all of the ideals outlined in the OP, then what? What happens now? What happens next? The OP proposes that these genres of music promote a set of memes, but says nothing about why this is relevant, what point they seek to make, what case there is to defend (or oppose), or anything else. These styles of music could be all about Sex, Drugs, Money, and Fame. But music that is not heard does nothing. So saying HHRR&B is all about those things tells us nothing about what we should do with this information.

Such are the armchair reflections of Sehnsucht, esq.
***Jazz, clearly, is all about reveling in hedonistic excess as a principle.
this is a really great post btw, didn't mean to sidetrack the tread right after it (well i kinda did cuz this thread is dumb af anyways). OP def is judging an entire genre based off one popular subset of the music that exists. Anyone in this forum should know what stereotypes are and understand the fallacy of faulty generalization. plus even if all hiphop music is how OP describes it (which ofc is ********), i'd argue hip-hop is still valuable because it is a whole different genre than other music that exists and it's done a ****ton for music and art and the progression of human creativity.

notice how Killer Mike stresses the importance of consent on that Run the Jewels song (do you ask him pretty please?)
hah yes exactly. While I was being pretty trolliish in that post, (there are clearly many many more legitimate examples of hip hop promoting good ideals.. i mean there are a ****ton of hip hop songs about a wide variety of concepts, as with any genre of music...) I def agree with this. This song, while being purposely incendiary, presents a counterargument to the absurd demonization of sexualization that exists, esp in American culture. Why care or judge what 2 people do behind closed doors if they both consent and both enjoy those activities?

i think eminems crazy in love song is more about how he feels about the industry "you let me beat the sh*t out you before you beat the sh*t out me* the way i interpret that em is saying he can expose the truth about the industry but the industry can turn on him and make him a target by the media as done so before
hah interesting, I've been listening to this song since I was young and I never thought of this. I can easily see it being true, Eminem and Kendrick use the same idea in a more recent song Love Game, where they used the metaphor of a girl they're involved with to represent the rap game itself.

this thread is way better when debating the various concepts within individual hip-hop songs themselves rather than the ****ty topic OP brought up in the first place

Last edited:

LightlyToasted

Smash Cadet
Most music has these sorts of trends, where they originate on a smaller scale, as a way of expression, in a way that reaches out that other previous genres can't. Soon enough these trends become popular enough, some because they resonate with the current culture(or coutner culture in many cases, such as grunge as a response to the poppy 80's, and vanilla early 90's, or Punk as a response to the ideas of Big Brother government ala Watergate in the 70's.

Aside from those that relate to it, others just like the sounds, or WANT to relate to it, so eventually the music becomes more mainstream, which causes the original lovers of the music who did resonate with it to fall a bit more on the wayside and become underground. This is more the case with cultural commentary music.

So yes Hip Hop has a mainstream commercial profit motif aspect to it. But that's not all artists or even all songs. similar to what game companies do with AAA titles, making big selling games to be able to get away with funding their own project. Some who stick mainly to non commercial may consider it selling out, since there are cases where in making more mainstream music the artist sacrifices what would be considered their artistic integrity.

I realize commercial aspect of it may be off topic, though Change pointed out the cars money girls aspect he seems to be talking about is the commercial, whereas much of the cultural story stuff is bringing the murder drug culture to a mainstream audience. The issue is when artists commercialize the negative aspects in a positive light, without it being satirical, resulting in younger audiences in particularly low income areas growing up wanting to be gangsters. Some even in non low income, but mostly as a result of their perceived or actual lack of opportunities.

Edit: Computer bugged while typing. ALSO

Last edited:

Lichi

This is my war snarl
HipHop and Rap belong to those kinds of music I generally listen less to. That's because a lot of 'artists' belonging to those genres only thematize drugs, slutty women and money. Those topics do not really strike me if they are over-used and voclized by grunting, moaning and overall sub-par musical performance.
Fortunately, there's also a lot of others, who may be less popular in most cases. Liking the music of Eminem for example felt really easy, he is one of THE rappers out there, and he manages to be creative (musical and lyrical). I also still have some of the 'rap oldies' on my smart phone, like Coolio's Gangsta's Paradise, XZibit's Paparazzi or 2Pac's Ghetto Gospel (though these are not the lesser known kind). I'd say you'd have to do some searching through the spectrum to find what you like, and you'll definately find something that 'contributes to society'.

Last edited:

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
you are not very familiar with this genre
No I am, some little Hip-hop change could be done to 'promote' 'good Hip-hop' but in reality, no, mainstream media Rap will kill the 'good Hip-hop'. I'll write some and leave the rest towards other people that hit those high notes towards Hip-hop (still haven't seen it yet).

You also need to realize you're all addicts to this genre, it's like I'm ranting to people that LOVE to smoke and will come up with all this bs yet commercials now are 100% against smoking (100%). Here comes people writing smoking is fine.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I think it's important to distinguish the sub-genres, especially when discussing rap. "gangsta rap" for instance is more to do with thug life, street rivalry, gang/turf war, etc. "Camps" call out each other during rap sessions, as if they were in the same room. Sound effects mimic actual gun fights.... I love the pac man skit off DMX's first album.

"Whats' up wit this Pac man *****? Yo, what's up? That him, there?"
"Yeah! There that muh****in' ***** right there."
"Yo, yo, yo, hold on, hold on, hold on, yo hold on... Hey! Yo, Pac man, yo Pac man"
"Yo, you know me money?"
"Uh, listen I don't know you and all that **** but what's up wit this Pac man ****?"
"What you mean what's up with this Pac man ****? This my hood man, this my hood for five years man, just got out man, I'm just tryin to get some money man."
"Yo, I want you to get money and all that **** but you can't get it HERE, baby!"
"What you mean I can't get it here? I been here all my mother ****ing life be, ain't none of y'all New York ****** taking over this **** up around here, man!"
"How the **** you know I'm a New York *****?"
"You smell like a New York ***** to me, man..."
"Hold it, ho ho ho... Five years ago, where was you?"
"Five years ago I was locked up man."
"You were born and raised in this joint?"
"Born and raised in this joint, man! My momma here, my poppa here... Everybody here!"
"Yo, well we was born up the block."
"...ya I was born and raised here... And ain't none of y'all ****** gonna move me out of my hood!"
"So what you saying *****?"
"*****', what YOU saying *****!?"
"THIS is what the **** I'M saying..."
*shoots Pac man*
"Ride or die mother ******."

Just don't generalize. Look at Def Jam - started by a WHITE GUY. Rick Rubin, who was there from the beginning, with LL Cool J, Run DMC and Public Enemy. Listen to anything by Tupac... really listen, and you'll understand he's not glorifying thug life, he's repenting, he's cautioning... stay out of the life. He was no dummy, either, he knew how hard it was and still is, to avoid the life if you're born there. Also I don't mean any disrespect, I know you've had family directly affected by gang violence. You just shouldn't blindly except hatred of an art form that has its roots in street life, because the street came to your door and took a giant **** on you. That's akin to hating all doctors because one doctor was unable to save a person's life.

LightlyToasted

Smash Cadet
You also need to realize you're all addicts to this genre, it's like I'm ranting to people that LOVE to smoke and will come up with all this bs yet commercials now are 100% against smoking (100%). Here comes people writing smoking is fine.
I am sorry Dr. I will go seek help for my addiction that you can clearly diagnose.

The Only parallel one could draw between smoking and rap(assuming you mean tobacco cigarettes) Is comparing the surgeon general warning to a parental advisory sticker, which is stilla huge stretch. And most people that I know who smoke KNOW its bad, and if anything are self loathing because of the fact that they do it despite its awful side effects.

(I know this is a DEBATE thread on a video game fan site, so expecting arguments to not devolve into hyperbolic generalizations on the people behind the posts is a tall order, but can we at least try to argue the points and not the people behind them?

I'll start with an apology. I'm sorry for calling you a Dr. in a sarcastic manner Change. For all we know you are a Dr. with a PHD in psychology)

Anyway back on point, you also include R&B in this discussion. The vast majority of R&B songs are romance and while some may carry subtle tones of the times, most express the Joy and Pain that love can bring, which can have a healing property to those who can relate to the narratives the songs tell. The worst thing one could gather form most of these songs is that the ones telling stories of pain and hurt only tell one side of the story, though most sad poetry and other art forms are the same. They capture that person's perspective from that point in time. It embodies part of the human experience.

Kashology

Smash Cadet
You're making it extremely difficult to respect you. Here you are spewing your ill-informed opinions on entire genres of music that you know so little about. There is so much that is wrong with your post that I don't know where to begin. Let me try:

• First off, your statement implies an art form can be a "waste". And what is a "waste" is entirely subjective. I can just as easily say this thread is a "waste", or that playing super smash is a "waste" etc. The truth of the matter is that you have no right to judge what constitutes a "waste" for anyone but yourself. You are not some god-like entity who can effectively measure the value something has on someone, and how you're affected by a particular thing may be different how another is.
  • Secondly, your statement clearly reflects your poor understanding on Rap Music. There are many, many, different types of Hip-hop, it's an entire genre of music; so naturally, there are an array of different styles and subject matter across the spectrum. Rap tracks can go from talk about money, sex, drugs, and violence, to politics, human-nature, social commentary, humor, and dreams etc. -- you name it, there's probably a rap track that's done it. Bottom line here, Hip-hop is entertainment, if people are entertained or get some other value out of it, who are you to get in the way of that?
  • Thirdly, Hip-hop has contributed plenty to society, this is a fact. In fact, Hip-hop has changed the way quite a lot of people view society, there are certain progressive Hip-hop artists who have "enlightened" many or "opened opened their eyes" to certain alarming things sort to speak through their music; e.g, bringing awareness to on child soldiers in Africa -- even before the whole Kony 2012 debacle Lupe Fiasco has recorded a song shedding light to the atrocities that people have children commit in Africa in a creative way, while this song in particular wasn't culturally significant, it has raised a few eyebrows, and there are Rap songs that have impacted American culture more positively. Furthermore, rappers constantly have fans who approach them detailing how their music has changed their life in a positive way, a few were even saved by it by second guessing suicidal plans.
  • Lastly, you say that you are interested in hearing our rebuttals, but you don't strike me as someone who's really sincere about this. I think you're either not entirely serious here or that you just want to speak your piece and not bother to try and understand what people are saying here. This is evident by your lack of a response to some well-made points here, you say you want each answer to be different but you can't even respond to one rationally. And also know that your original statement here isn't so original either, you're simply regurgitating what many, many, angsty teenagers tend to do when they reach the "know it all" phase, so don't think you're a special little snowflake for thinking this.
Edit: I can post links now, so I'll leave you with these Rap Tracks:

Last edited:

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
troll thread is troll, i guess this is what happens when we get rid of the proving grounds. good choice on little weapon though that's my jam. also never heard that el-p joint b4

Chinaux

Smash Ace
Kendrick Lamar doesn't rap about promoting violence. In fact, his song Swimming Pools actually disapproves alcohol use.

Last edited:

Kashology

Smash Cadet
troll thread is troll, i guess this is what happens when we get rid of the proving grounds. good choice on little weapon though that's my jam. also never heard that el-p joint b4
Thanks, I really like Lupe's older stuff, he's my favorite rapper, and his entire work on his album The Cool is unmatched imo. It's really lyrical, passionate, and artistic. Also, that El-P track is from his last solo album Cancer 4 Cure, which I say is a must-listen for every El-P fan.

Also, it's funny how you posted Love Again of all tracks on RTJ2, it's a biting satirical track, but that will go over the average non-hip-hop listeners head. Never mind, on second thought, your whole post probably is a joke.

Last edited:

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
I'm not surprised this would happen. The fact that you actually wrote 'troll' made me sigh towards your superior understanding.

If you want proof, then it's simple, look around and I mean look around wherever you go, look at the people and the way they act. You will get confused at first, but I'm sure you'll get it in the end.

Lastly, you respect strangers that you've never had a cup of tea with and yet you all believe you know them inside and out.

I'm sure their music will change the world to a better place, it will even recover people out of their financial poverty problems. And where do they turn to? Rap for 'comfort'.

You are all sick in the mind, brainwashed into oblivion, hopefully when you're all fifty and such you'll remember what I wrote and I will be right because I've been in more than one shoe.

Respect? You honestly think I care about respect? I'd rather be disrespected than respected to speak out truth.

Well, it begins, let me rant about E; his mother gave birth to him and of course abandoned, him? Well, he had a song called 'the closet' where he's cursing his mom all these nasty lyrics and such. If he was a true man, he would of forgiven her and went on in his own ways, but what did he do, instead? He wanted revenge and I'm 100% sure many other young cats followed the same steps towards their mother. Heck, I bet some of you express the same thing (no details).

Now let me rant about 'Kim' where it's his wife and he wants to kill her basically, again, someone followed that and has done that. Now, he wants to, help people? Dude needs to be locked up pronto. He's done enough damage to our society. And the other rappers need the same treatment.

I think this is good enough atm. And I wait towards what people will type, I wonder if I lost their 'respect' or if I'm a 'troll'. You honestly don't know me by a whole year but I sure know many of you.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
By all that is, chico.

Your sweeping generalization of the collective content of our character is somehow more egregious than your sweeping generalization as to the content of modern Hip-Hip-Hurrah and its associated culture.

Here's a question. I, Sehnsucht, don't listen (nor tend to enjoy) music that doesn't have at least electric guitars in it. Nor am I American, nor am I associated with Thug Life or any related cultural sphere.

Given this, am I sick in the mind and brainwashed into oblivion?

If I am, it has nothing to do with music.

And you might wonder why I might oppose your stance, OP, if I have negligible experience and knowledge of the topic at hand (i.e. modern electronic styles of music).

The reason is that it doesn't take an expert in ethnomusicology to spot and underline fallacious, ill-communicated, and unsubstantiated assertions.

If it is the case that you want us to have a ChangeOfHeart, then show us the math. Link or embed videos as exhibits to your points; transcribe lyrics to demonstrate their allegedly toxic messages; cite studies and sources that show correlations between listening to Hip-Hop/Rap/R&B, and engaging in anti-social behaviours (e.g. thuggishness, criminal activity, degradation of character, etc.); explain why any of this is a good or bad thing, and why I or anyone else should or should not care about the issues you present.

Build up your case, and present the facts and evidence over which the jury might deliberate. Because thus far, it seems that all you've done is present generalizations that are supported -- and flimsily so -- by a smattering of anecdotal evidence.

And if you're not in fact interested in engaging in debate -- an exchange in which you attempt to present the legitimacy of your case through argument and evidence -- then not only would your time be better invested elsewhere, but you won't ever even begin to disabuse your peers from notions that modern Hip-Hop culture is not in fact deleterious to our youth, and to society as a whole.

Chinaux

Smash Ace
i mean, that's like your opinion man.
keep it to yourself because nobody cares about your opinion

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
i mean, that's like your opinion man.
keep it to yourself because nobody cares about your opinion
But we have to care about OP's opinion, or else Mainstream Music Culture will lead to the degeneracy of our youth (?!?!), and that's bad because reasons!

Kashology

Smash Cadet
I'm not surprised this would happen. The fact that you actually wrote 'troll' made me sigh towards your superior understanding.

If you want proof, then it's simple, look around and I mean look around wherever you go, look at the people and the way they act. You will get confused at first, but I'm sure you'll get it in the end.

Lastly, you respect strangers that you've never had a cup of tea with and yet you all believe you know them inside and out.

I'm sure their music will change the world to a better place, it will even recover people out of their financial poverty problems. And where do they turn to? Rap for 'comfort'.

You are all sick in the mind, brainwashed into oblivion, hopefully when you're all fifty and such you'll remember what I wrote and I will be right because I've been in more than one shoe.

Respect? You honestly think I care about respect? I'd rather be disrespected than respected to speak out truth.
You're either a troll, or a complete an utter dolt. We have emphatically proved to you that there's more to Rap Music than just materialism, and vulgarity, by showing you songs that delve into an array of other things, but you choose to ignore those completely, and instead respond with half-baked remarks that doesn't prove your argument in the slightest. And not to mention, there are several other points that expose your arguments for the fallacious nonsense it is, but here you are still spewing bigoted statements like "you are all sick in the mind".

If you are in fact a troll, then congratulations you have provoked us all into responding to your unsavory behavior, I hope the attention you've gotten out of this satisfies your miserable existence. If you are a dolt, then may god help your poor soul.

Chinaux

Smash Ace

Well, it begins, let me rant about E; his mother gave birth to him and of course abandoned, him? Well, he had a song called 'the closet' where he's cursing his mom all these nasty lyrics and such. If he was a true man, he would of forgiven her and went on in his own ways, but what did he do, instead? He wanted revenge and I'm 100% sure many other young cats followed the same steps towards their mother. Heck, I bet some of you express the same thing (no details).

Now let me rant about 'Kim' where it's his wife and he wants to kill her basically, again, someone followed that and has done that. Now, he wants to, help people? Dude needs to be locked up pronto. He's done enough damage to our society. And the other rappers need the same treatment.

I think this is good enough atm. And I wait towards what people will type, I wonder if I lost their 'respect' or if I'm a 'troll'. You honestly don't know me by a whole year but I sure know many of you.

seriously man just stop posting

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Why are people arguing with this guy? It's clear he's utterly delusional and is never going to change his mind. Just let the thread die and we won't have to deal with another idiot clogging up this subforum.

Last edited:

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Why are people arguing with this guy? It's clear he's utterly delusional and is never going to change his mind. Just let the thread die and we won't have to deal with another idiot clogging up this subforum.
Yeah, it's because I'm not brainwashed like you. Good luck waking up man.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
This reminds me of Biz Markie's Just a Friend which is a parody of rap and pop. So, it's like purposely bad rap and really cheesy pop chorus just to have a laugh and sort of point out the ludicrousness of mainstream music that's all lovey-dovey, praising, etc. It's funny in a sad way.

Nujabes's music which is a mixture of electronica, jazz, hip hop, and some other genres I don't know of: here's two songs that attacks mainstream rap, hip hop, or in general, mainstream ideas: Think Different and The Sign.

Think Different is plain and simple, it's an attack on mainstream music that glorifies *****es, money, fame, drugs, gangsters, etc.

The Sign talks about figuring out the truth and how people are mindless drones ignoring the truth.

Speaking about glorifying, there's Beanie Sigel's What A Thug About. It's another attack on gangster wannabes. Real gangster like the mafia, drug cartels, Triad, and Yakuza perform a ton of horrible stuff and live horrible lives. They don't pose; they do. They dare to kill; they don't talk about killing.

R&B sort of depends. I don't know the artists for R&B that I listen too. I'm only aware of Aloe Blac and Pharrell Williams. So, I got nothing here, except I believe Aloe Blac has a couple songs about surviving and enduring. I don't remember since it's been a while and I tend to put music as sort of an ambiance.

Anyway, the issue is this: people. People don't like being reminded of their unhappiness. Nobody lives to be unhappy. So, you're not going to see people praising songs about the monotony, hardships, and overall crappiness of life. You're not going to hear Modest Mouse's Bukowski, a song about an obsessive God who tries to own, control, and monitor everyone - basically, fate -, aired all the time or even mentioned, but you'll see stuff about love, money, drugs, happiness, etc.

At the same time, people don't like truths. They don't like being reminded that life isn't paradise, heaven, or some fantasy. Why do you think nobody knows or talks about Think Different or The Sign? Ignorance is bliss after all. Pretty much every genre is plagued by this since the dawn of humanity. Hell, just look at Mass Effect 3's ending stupidity. People wanted a happy ending and basically threatened and slandered their way through it.

So, why not get high? Why not be selfish, get laid, screw people over, and get rich? People are sad so, they try to make themselves happy in every way. It's pathetic really.

People don't live to be miserable. Those that do are considered crazy, outcasts, or writers and philosophers. It's a stigma to be sad or want to be sad. Miscarried? Get over it; it's been a month. Boyfriend left you for someone else? He's a cheater and an ***. You're too good for them. Wow! *looks at a POS art* That's amazing. Make excuses and ignore the reality that you will die in a giant universe where only a fraction of it cares. The freaking end.

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
This reminds me of Biz Markie's Just a Friend which is a parody of rap and pop. So, it's like purposely bad rap and really cheesy pop chorus just to have a laugh and sort of point out the ludicrousness of mainstream music that's all lovey-dovey, praising, etc. It's funny in a sad way.

Nujabes's music which is a mixture of electronica, jazz, hip hop, and some other genres I don't know of: here's two songs that attacks mainstream rap, hip hop, or in general, mainstream ideas: Think Different and The Sign.

Think Different is plain and simple, it's an attack on mainstream music that glorifies *****es, money, fame, drugs, gangsters, etc.

The Sign talks about figuring out the truth and how people are mindless drones ignoring the truth.

Speaking about glorifying, there's Beanie Sigel's What A Thug About. It's another attack on gangster wannabes. Real gangster like the mafia, drug cartels, Triad, and Yakuza perform a ton of horrible stuff and live horrible lives. They don't pose; they do. They dare to kill; they don't talk about killing.

R&B sort of depends. I don't know the artists for R&B that I listen too. I'm only aware of Aloe Blac and Pharrell Williams. So, I got nothing here, except I believe Aloe Blac has a couple songs about surviving and enduring. I don't remember since it's been a while and I tend to put music as sort of an ambiance.

Anyway, the issue is this: people. People don't like being reminded of their unhappiness. Nobody lives to be unhappy. So, you're not going to see people praising songs about the monotony, hardships, and overall crappiness of life. You're not going to hear Modest Mouse's Bukowski, a song about an obsessive God who tries to own, control, and monitor everyone - basically, fate -, aired all the time or even mentioned, but you'll see stuff about love, money, drugs, happiness, etc.

At the same time, people don't like truths. They don't like being reminded that life isn't paradise, heaven, or some fantasy. Why do you think nobody knows or talks about Think Different or The Sign? Ignorance is bliss after all. Pretty much every genre is plagued by this since the dawn of humanity. Hell, just look at Mass Effect 3's ending stupidity. People wanted a happy ending and basically threatened and slandered their way through it.

So, why not get high? Why not be selfish, get laid, screw people over, and get rich? People are sad so, they try to make themselves happy in every way. It's pathetic really.

People don't live to be miserable. Those that do are considered crazy, outcasts, or writers and philosophers. It's a stigma to be sad or want to be sad. Miscarried? Get over it; it's been a month. Boyfriend left you for someone else? He's a cheater and an ***. You're too good for them. Wow! *looks at a POS art* That's amazing. Make excuses and ignore the reality that you will die in a giant universe where only a fraction of it cares. The freaking end.
Isn't this what I wrote only less details? You'd think they would. Ahhh, I see, I knew they wouldn't 'delusional' okay whatever.

Yes, I'm an outcast towards cleaning up society (I'm serious).

I've lived like you all and it got me nowhere. Now I'm living without the media in my buttocks and I'm living great and happy.

I still fear this generation though, if people keep 'basking in the moment' then this society of yours wont be changed for the good or even bad it will just stay the same like right now. You are a wise person, I hope to see more of your kind in the near future. Thanks.

Last edited:

Chinaux

Smash Ace
Isn't this what I wrote only less details? You'd think they would. Ahhh, I see, I knew they wouldn't 'delusional' okay whatever.

I've lived like you all and it got me nowhere. Now I'm living without the media in my buttocks and I'm living great and happy.

I still fear this generation though, if people keep 'basking in the moment' then this society of yours wont be changed for the good or even bad it will just stay the same like right now. You are a wise person, I hope to see more of your kind in the near future. Thanks.
are you even trying anymore?

Kashology

Smash Cadet

You sure get a kick out of yourself, don't you?

tm730

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4227-1256-0282
This song is still relevant 23 years later, seriously

OP take this advice, dig for better ish.

LightlyToasted

Smash Cadet
I enjoy my ways yes.

@ tm730 tm730

But seriously, we can argue for days about this making generalizations, but if you are going to pose an argument, then the onus in on you to provide evidence as in studies, research and facts. While it is easy to make generalization from observations of your own life, to assume these reasons are enough to prove a point is myopic. Here's one article that you could cite! Though be wary, despite the fact that ONE study showed those who listen to sexually explicit lyrics, were more likely to be sexually active, it does note the possibility that those who would already be sexually active gravitate towards edgier songs.

ALSO the research apparently pointed that hip hop as a whole is not the issue, but the lyrics in contains. This may be apparent to most, but it is relevant. Especially as the article states...

"But the researchers found that the overt sexuality of the music and dancing was not the main influence on sexual behavior. Rather it was the old standbys of alcohol, drugs and peer pressure that typically led them into sexual encounters."

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜

But seriously, we can argue for days about this making generalizations, but if you are going to pose an argument, then the onus in on you to provide evidence as in studies, research and facts. While it is easy to make generalization from observations of your own life, to assume these reasons are enough to prove a point is myopic. Here's one article that you could cite! Though be wary, despite the fact that ONE study showed those who listen to sexually explicit lyrics, were more likely to be sexually active, it does note the possibility that those who would already be sexually active gravitate towards edgier songs.

ALSO the research apparently pointed that hip hop as a whole is not the issue, but the lyrics in contains. This may be apparent to most, but it is relevant. Especially as the article states...

"But the researchers found that the overt sexuality of the music and dancing was not the main influence on sexual behavior. Rather it was the old standbys of alcohol, drugs and peer pressure that typically led them into sexual encounters."
K.

http://www.post-gazette.com/life/li...ve-influences-of-hip-hop/stories/200806130124

Keep in mind this was in 2008 where society was okay and not in a financial crisis. Now in 2014, oh look everything they wrote was the truth after-all. Now everyone is doing it! Seems the researchers focused only towards the Black now it's even all races. Catastrophic chaos.

Hip hop is Hip hop, it may change in the near future (doubt it) but the damage has ALREADY BEEN DONE. The only way to fix all this would be to go back in time and convince the Whites that African Americans are regular people (slaves). Then and only then will African Americans be well happy and not create Rap aka Hip hop. After-all, Hip hop was created to express emotion which of course is negative towards slaves in general. Thanks.

Last edited:

LightlyToasted

Smash Cadet
"Now, large corporations produce images that sell.."

As stated previously, the issues lies not in all hiphop itself, but the commercialization of it. These same issues exist in games and other art forms as well. Sex sells. And where is your proof that society was okay in 2008 and that now it is in the ****ter?

Bakari Kitwana, the scholar cited in the NY Times articles notes that there are good aspect of Hip Hop, such as its ability to speak and unite a culture.

Like most cultural movements, Hip Hop has its good and bad aspects. The previous posters here have all highlighted many of the good aspects had positive influence it can have.

So again, if you are sticking to your point that it contributes nothing at all, I would argue you are misguided. That we are even debating it and bringing up the significant impact of music on our culture means it has contributed something.

Edit: Also Eminem did release a song this past Mother's day apologizing to his mother.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom