• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No plans for F-Zero is killing me

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I don't think F-Zero is as focused on attacking as you think it is. Four-player races are good enough for local, and online play would still be fun even if it's more chaotic.
I don't think you've had four players of equal and relatively high skill in the same room... Or even when there's a gap, the only way for the noobie to win is to kill the better players.

I don't think I've ever played a multiplayer game of F-Zero where the first priority is attack your opponents. Normally victory is earned through mastery of the controls and tracks rather than slamming into everyone Burnout style.
Even outside of multiplayer it's a priority. Chapter 7 anyone? It's basically impossible to win unless you kill Black Shadow and Blood Falco before the final lap.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Although, the difference between NSMB and F-Zero is that we get new Mario games constantly, but we haven't seen a new F-Zero in over a decade.

But good god I will agree wholeheartedly that NSMB is rehashy. And the sequels are even worse since they're a rehash of a rehash.
But NSMB originally held a lot of goodwill because it was the first 2D Mario game since 1992. It just slowly pissed it away because they couldn't innovate on it at all beyond 4-player co-op.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
What Miyamoto also needs to realize is that when a series has been dormant for over a decade, sometimes you just put out a new one, even if it's a bit "rehashy" just to build interest again.
This. Look at Mega Man 9. Really, just add some new characters and tracks, bring back the Death Race and X Cup, add Wifi. There ya go.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
This. Look at Mega Man 9. Really, just add some new characters and tracks, bring back the Death Race and X Cup, add Wifi. There ya go.
Then Megaman 10 F-Zero HD 2 comes along and everybody complains about rehash until the series is killed again and then everybody decides to like the sequel because we're stuck with it as the last entry. Or something.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
God Mega Man 9 was good.

AND YES. X CUP. Procedurally generated tracks on 21st century hardware could get really interesting. I'd love it.

But really track editing sharing would be awesome as well. If I had to pick one, I'd pick the track editor (so long as it has online sharing).

Last edited:

Poppy JR.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Poppy JR.
3DS FC
3668-8475-0899
God Mega Man 9 was good.

AND YES. X CUP. Procedurally generated tracks on 21st century hardware could get really interesting. I'd love it.

But really track editing sharing would be awesome as well. If I had to pick one, I'd pick the track editor (so long as it has online sharing).
Oh man. I'm imagining what X CupU would look like. It looks awesome.

I think a Miiverse-based track sharing feature would be super cool to go with a track editor.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I don't think you've had four players of equal and relatively high skill in the same room... Or even when there's a gap, the only way for the noobie to win is to kill the better players.
I've had four people in the same room of the same skill level and I can tell you that they only used the side-attack as a useful tool in the corners (none of them know about the physics exploits).
Even outside of multiplayer it's a priority. Chapter 7 anyone? It's basically impossible to win unless you kill Black Shadow and Blood Falco before the final lap.
Using single-player as an example isn't really fair. The CPUs don't always have the exact same intent as humans and have a far superior reaction time.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I've had four people in the same room of the same skill level and I can tell you that they only used the side-attack as a useful tool in the corners (none of them know about the physics exploits).
Using single-player as an example isn't really fair. The CPUs don't always have the exact same intent as humans and have a far superior reaction time.
People also said Snaking wasn't useful in MKDD but it clearly is.

And the CPUs in CH 7 don't try to actively kill you, they try to win mostly legitimately. There's some rubberbanding, but not much. Their cars are just better, and that's why you need to kill them.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Also, the opponent's cars in a competitive environment wouldn't be better unless you are intentionally putting yourself at a disadvantage.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Are you kidding? Black Shadow and Blood Falcon's rubberbanding is out of control in chapter 7.
The CPU is pretty tame most of the time. You can get through expert GPs pretty much by surviving and not letting off of A... Honestly, the CPUs in F-Zero in general are pretty easy outside of specific AI like in CH 2 (who's more of a ghost) or 8. Probably because they expect you to beat master class with every vehicle.

People can even brute force CH 3 hard, and CH3 very hard with some jump tech. I know I did.

finalark

SNORLAX
Let's organize a GX tourney to see if the game isn't as competitively viable as @ LancerStaff LancerStaff seems to suggest.

I don't know how we'd do it but, I'd love to see what F-Zero is like competitively. Although Time Trial might be a better option. Really you have to weigh your pros and cons. When multiple players are on the same track it allows for player interaction, while time trial is pure skill and track memorization vs. pure skill and track memorization.

Hmm.... interesting.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Let's organize a GX tourney to see if the game isn't as competitively viable as @ LancerStaff LancerStaff seems to suggest.

I don't know how we'd do it but, I'd love to see what F-Zero is like competitively. Although Time Trial might be a better option. Really you have to weigh your pros and cons. When multiple players are on the same track it allows for player interaction, while time trial is pure skill and track memorization vs. pure skill and track memorization.

Hmm.... interesting.
That would be a great idea and I'd love to see if the game actually has competitive viability.

Maybe we could suggest it to people at AGDQ to try it out? I know they have at least two GX runners come nearly every year and almost all of the runners there are willing to try out nearly anything as long as it fits into their schedule and racks up donations for SDA.

finalark

SNORLAX
It would be a good way to test to see how Time Trail works on a competitive level, although I'm not entirely sure how competitive AGDQ is. Oh well, it's better than nothing.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter

finalark

SNORLAX
It looks like they use time trial rulings, making F-Zero more a speedrunner's thing.

I guess it makes sense given that nature of the game.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'd like to note that Mew2King is a huge fan of F-Zero and he regularly speedruns those games.

It's just that they're buried underneath his Smash stuff.

Dr. Krumm

Smash Apprentice
I just want to play against 29 other people in an F-zero race online and try not to die as everyone obviously will ram each other the first 1/3 of the track.

Why won't Nintendo let me experience this?

Ryuki of Spiral Rhapsody

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Spiral_Rhapsody
Going off of the posts on the 1st page (the comments from 2 months ago lol), I don't think it'd be rocket science to reintroduce F-Zero to the world. I think the only thing they have to do is just make a new F-Zero, and nothing more; just make what one would expect an F-Zero game on Wii U to be. Show it off at E3 or another event. Just show it off. Inherently, what F-Zero aesthetically is is something a lot of people would appreciate. I think the whole "separate niche" impression is rooted from how old F-Zero GX is and how WIDELY advertised it was (not at all lol); a game that's so old that some people love and others can't remember? that's why it seems so obscure. They just gotta give it another chance.

Quillion

Smash Hero
The internet loves him. But from a business standpoint, will slapping C. Falcon onto a box sell more copies? Maybe, but it's one hell of a risk.
If they slap Falcon onto the box and actually advertise the game (with focus on Falcon), it will sell millions, no doubt.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
If they slap Falcon onto the box and actually advertise the game (with focus on Falcon), it will sell millions, no doubt.
I think they need to add a completely new set of characters, keep some old iconic ones, and sell the new game as a reboot. This would market to older fans who know and (mostly) love the old characters and have waited for a new game for over a decade, while the newer players can feel like they are part of something new and innovative. This would make all parties happy and help with sales unless Nintendo messes up their marketing again.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Probably mentioned already (probably not?) but this year marks F-Zero's 25th anniversary. I think it'd be the perfect time to announce something, like F-Zero UX with completely new additional racers and courses or GX HD with online play and an easier way to get the AX racers other than the Story Mode since you know, no GC mem card slots for use in an AX machine. and Shulk as a DLC racer with a Monado themed machine, I dreamt about it so it must come true //raises flameshield

If they pass this opportunity up, it's a greatly wasted opportunity.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Probably mentioned already (probably not?) but this year marks F-Zero's 25th anniversary. I think it'd be the perfect time to announce something, like F-Zero UX with completely new additional racers and courses or GX HD with online play and an easier way to get the AX racers other than the Story Mode since you know, no GC mem card slots for use in an AX machine. and Shulk as a DLC racer with a Monado themed machine, I dreamt about it so it must come true //raises flameshield

If they pass this opportunity up, it's a greatly wasted opportunity.
If they announce something for E3 tomorrow, we celebrate.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It's not only F-Zero's 25th, but also Super Mario Bros.' 30th. Don't get your hopes up. It's just like Metroid/Zelda.
To be fair, Other M did come out a year before Metroid's 25th and due to all the backlash they decided to let the fanbase cool off and recover for a while. NO OTHER M DEBATES OR FIGHTS HERE PLEASE!

In the case of F-Zero however, it hasn't had a game since 2004. I think it might be a good opportunity nevertheless.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Hey, Nintendo, do you have any F-Zero game to show us for E3? No? You've got spinoffs?

NINTENDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Don't lose hope just yet. Since the first F-Zero game was released in August of 1990, I'd hope they'd do something in a direct this August as that is when it's real 25th is.

At this point I'm expecting GX HD with GC controller support more so, since WW HD was a success and I don't think GX can be out-innovated. And please for the love of Meyneth, ADVERTISE THE HELL OUT OF IT. the problem with GX's low sales was really lack of advertising.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Don't lose hope just yet. Since the first F-Zero game was released in August of 1990, I'd hope they'd do something in a direct this August as that is when it's real 25th is.

At this point I'm expecting GX HD with GC controller support more so, since WW HD was a success and I don't think GX can be out-innovated. And please for the love of Meyneth, ADVERTISE THE HELL OUT OF IT. the problem with GX's low sales was really lack of advertising.
You mean November. The original release was November 1990 and the NA translation was August 1991.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You mean November. The original release was November 1990 and the NA translation was August 1991.
Ahhh. I must have been confusing the dates.

Are there usually directs in November, though? Not counting surprise ones.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

Still wouldn't work because of the shoulder button thing, and Nintendo seems adamant in not making the GC controller compatible with anything but Smash. Requiring the thing would kill it's sales completely, anyway. We need a new game with new mechanics anyway since GX was broken to heck.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Still wouldn't work because of the shoulder button thing, and Nintendo seems adamant in not making the GC controller compatible with anything but Smash. Requiring the thing would kill it's sales completely, anyway. We need a new game with new mechanics anyway since GX was broken to heck.
You mean the analog triggers? Last I checked that functionality was included with every GC controller. Surely even the new ones made for Smash have it.

Also
>"broken to heck"

That's just your opinion. The game was meant to be challenging but at the same time rewarding.

Also about only for Smash: Nintendo can literally change their mind about it at any time. Nothing is set in stone.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
You mean the analog triggers? Last I checked that functionality was included with every GC controller. Surely even the new ones made for Smash have it.

Also
>"broken to heck"

That's just your opinion. The game was meant to be challenging but at the same time rewarding.

Also about only for Smash: Nintendo can literally change their mind about it at any time. Nothing is set in stone.
No, the adapter doesn't read the GC's shoulder buttons like a GC would. Just binary, no analogue. Which is why third party adapters have Wii U/PC switches so you can play PC games properly. It's physically impossible with Nintendo's adapters, and making new ones a requirement for F-Zero U would indeed kill any hope for sales.

And Google snaking and space flying. Snaking is so OP it invalidates any other strategy and kills hands and controllers ten times as fast as Melee does.

Last edited:
Top Bottom