• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No "flailing" animation effect

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
You know how when you reapetedly hit your opponent a LOT, they sometimes get hit without getting the fliaing around animation?

why does that happen? it happens a lot with me for chaining Falco's nairs and his shine.

Klowne

Smash Journeyman
I don't know the specifics, but i think it happens when you hit someone at the very moment they fall on the ground from a previous attack. Maybe it was put in to prevent huge comboes or something. I've been wondering about it too.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
but why would that happen with falco's shine? i juggle with that, and they never hit the ground.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
If they input anything in their controllers before or during the hit, it can sometimes be changed accordingly. Such inputs include crouch cancelling, or doing a get-up, or an attack.

Sudai

Stuff here
I was gonna say that it's possible that you hit them just as the flailing animation from the last attack ended, but Phanna is much more credible than me imo, so take his word. That also makes a lot more since because half the time I see it it's in the form of a super air dodge indicating someone trying to shield while being hit.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I notice this happen a lot too with Ness' dash attack. But whenever I see this, I believe it has something to do with them hitting the ground or DI.

Juce

Smash Ace
the first replier pretty much had it right. It's when they hit the ground without a tech and you pop them up in the air before they do anything. phanna is wrong though, with something like falco's shine (at least at non-0 percents) it'll do that to them every time they're just laying on the ground.

this is also the basis for one of the ways to do the "zero gravity" trick on hyrule.

earthbound360 - it's because the beginning of ness' dash attack can knock the opponent over, and then if it doesn't hit again until the last hit, it'll do the same pop up thing. it has nothing to do with di, it's just if they don't tech.

Zone

Smash Champion
Isn't this called like "phantom hit" or something. I have had phantom tips before with marth -.-;.

Top Bottom