• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Crying Until the End: Ninten for Smash Ultimate!

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
Random question: Do any of you play as Ness with one of his alts that looks the most like Ninten? In that case, which one? I kinda go between his blue alt because of the blue shoes and white shirt with blue stripes. But I also choose his Fuel alt because it's the one used in his Spirit battle and it has red socks.
I still think the blue alt looks more like him. But that's just my own personal opinion

Alright, thanks! Your pixel art skills are way better than mine honestly. I can't wait to see the rest of your ideas!
Thank you! I really appreciate it!
It's so cool to hear people being interested in this sort of thing! c:

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
Random question: Do any of you play as Ness with one of his alts that looks the most like Ninten? In that case, which one? I kinda go between his blue alt because of the blue shoes and white shirt with blue stripes. But I also choose his Fuel alt because it's the one used in his Spirit battle and it has red socks.
I still think the blue alt looks more like him. But that's just my own personal opinion
My go to has to be Blue Ness since it's my favorite alt out of all them, but I always thought that
brawl blue alt of Ness looks similar to Ninten's design.

D

Deleted member

Thank you! I really appreciate it!
It's so cool to hear people being interested in this sort of thing! c:
The Ness I use most has to be the original lol. But, the alt I use the most for Ness after that is the Fuel alt, which is the one used for Ninten's spirit battle.

PSIRailway

Smash Cadet
My go to has to be Blue Ness since it's my favorite alt out of all them, but I always thought that
brawl blue alt of Ness looks similar to Ninten's design.
Whenever I use Ness, my go-to alt is usually the blue one as well. Idk why, I guess I was just always drawn to it, but now that you mention it, it does look like Ninten so maybe that's why.

D

Deleted member

Well well well

today is the day

I play Earthbound

for the ****ing 9th time

D

Deleted member

I tried to make the name selects Mother 1 themed but unfortunately there wasn't enough space so here is what I came up with:

Ness is Nintn (not enough for "Ninten" lmao)

Paula is Ana

Jeff is Loid

Poo is Teddy

King is Porky for ****s and giggles

Favorite food is PrimRb (not enough for "Prime Rib")

Favorite thing is Beam. So Ness will be able to use PSI Beam.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mad Duck

Smash Journeyman
I created a separate save file for Mother 1 where I try to get to level 99. I am at level 85 with Teddy, 66 or 70 IIRC with Ninten, and level 75(?) with Ana.

What is the highest level y'all have gotten one of the party members to in Mother 1?
Probably between 30-40,not a lot. I never tried to max out the EBB kids because it's kind of a hazzle. (I tried once when you have EVE but I gave up). I maxed them in EB because it's much quicker but in EBB I usually beat the game at level 25 or 30.

D

Deleted member

For Mother 1, I always like to complete the game with Teddy by going up the mountain with Loid first, have him fix the boat and acquire the 7th melody, then head back down the mountain and recruit Teddy and fight Gieugue.

Do y'all like to complete the game with Loid or Teddy?

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
I tried to make the name selects Mother 1 themed but unfortunately there wasn't enough space so here is what I came up with:

Ness is Nintn (will change this to "Nin10")

Paula is Ana

Jeff is Loid

Poo is Teddy

King is Porky for ****s and giggles (but I will change it to Mick)

Favorite food is PrimRb (not enough for "Prime Rib")

Favorite thing is Beam. So Ness will be able to use PSI Beam.
Wow, don't get me wrong, I like Earthbound but personally it's my least favourite of the three when it comes to story and characters. It doesn't help that now I know the number of digits avaiable to put names is non-existent. Mother 1 / Earthbound Beginnings had more avaiable digits than Earthbound / Mother 2! xD
Needless to say, Mother 1 is superior. (I'm saying that as a joke btw, all games are equally fun and unique regardless of my personal preference)

For Mother 1, I always like to complete the game with Teddy by going up the mountain with Loid first, have him fix the boat and acquire the 7th melody, then head back down the mountain and recruit Teddy and fight Gieugue.

Do y'all like to complete the game with Loid or Teddy?
Believe it or not, the 5 times I played it was how the game intended it to be. Though there has been times where I go for Ana sooner.
But I always finish the game with Lloyd cuz I forget you can finish this game differently. xD
Maybe next time I play Mother 1 I'll actually try to keep Teddy.

D

Deleted member

Wow, don't get me wrong, I like Earthbound but personally it's my least favourite of the three when it comes to story and characters. It doesn't help that now I know the number of digits avaiable to put names is non-existent. Mother 1 / Earthbound Beginnings had more avaiable digits than Earthbound / Mother 2! xD
Needless to say, Mother 1 is superior. (I'm saying that as a joke btw, all games are equally fun and unique regardless of my personal preference)

Believe it or not, the 5 times I played it was how the game intended it to be. Though there has been times where I go for Ana sooner.
But I always finish the game with Lloyd cuz I forget you can finish this game differently. xD
Maybe next time I play Mother 1 I'll actually try to keep Teddy.
I heavily agree with the characters in the Mother games especially. It's why I like Ninten and Lucas as protagonists a lot more than Ness.

There's a funny trick in Mother 1 when, if you face one of your party members the correct way and talk to them, the say "What?" I laugh every time this happens lol.

I also love how much freedom you have with naming the characters in Mother 1, because you have so many spaces in the name select.

Mad Duck

Smash Journeyman
I heavily agree with the characters in the Mother games especially. It's why I like Ninten and Lucas as protagonists a lot more than Ness.

There's a funny trick in Mother 1 when, if you face one of your party members the correct way and talk to them, the say "What?" I laugh every time this happens lol.

I also love how much freedom you have with naming the characters in Mother 1, because you have so many spaces in the name select.
Some Dragon Quest games have something called "party chat" where basically the party members tell something about the enviroment around them or comment about something that happened recently. If the planets align and there is a remake of any of the games I really want them to add something like this. I think the only thing I dislike abour the Mother series in general is that the party members are really,really quiet.

I mean,the main theme of the trilogy is love and friendship,I want to see them build that friendship instead of a line of text here and there.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Some Dragon Quest games have something called "party chat" where basically the party members tell something about the enviroment around them or comment about something that happened recently. If the planets align and there is a remake of any of the games I really want them to add something like this. I think the only thing I dislike abour the Mother series in general is that the party members are really,really quiet.

I mean,the main theme of the trilogy is love and friendship,I want to see them build that friendship instead of a line of text here and there.
100% agree. Seeing the main characters in Mother 1 and Earthbound have actual dialogue like Mother 3 is something I would love in a remake.

Speaking of DQ, I think I'll give it a whirl sooner or later, since I've learned Mother 1 was heavily influenced by it and fans of one usually enjoy the other, as I've seen from y'all here in the Ninten thread and my man @liquidmetalslime who's a DQ fan, and enjoyed Mother 1. And that is a really cool feature about DQ, btw.

D

Deleted member

100% agree. Seeing the main characters in Mother 1 and Earthbound have actual dialogue like Mother 3 is something I would love in a remake.

Speaking of DQ, I think I'll give it a whirl sooner or later, since I've learned Mother 1 was heavily influenced by it and fans of one usually enjoy the other, as I've seen from y'all here in the Ninten thread and my man @liquidmetalslime who's a DQ fan, and enjoyed Mother 1. And that is a really cool feature about DQ, btw.
I think giving characters dialogue in the first two games would be great, though I think that there's also a bit of a unique feel from having a party of silent protagonists, it's nice to sometimes fill in the blanks.

That said, I would like to be added to the support list. Would love to see the trilogy rounded off.

D

Deleted member

I think giving characters dialogue in the first two games would be great, though I think that there's also a bit of a unique feel from having a party of silent protagonists, it's nice to sometimes fill in the blanks.

That said, I would like to be added to the support list. Would love to see the trilogy rounded off.
That's also a good point, lol. For one point, I'd love to see them have dialogue, but like you said, I like the silent protagonist aspect sometimes.

And thanks for the support btw! :)

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
That's also a good point, lol. For one point, I'd love to see them have dialogue, but like you said, I like the silent protagonist aspect sometimes.

And thanks for the support btw! :)
It depends. Because Ninten is shown to talk at the end of the game. And the Lloyd, Ana and Teddy are clearly shown to talk.

I believe that, since the protagonist (specially Ninten) is supposed to be the player, maybe he'll be the silent one while the others talk.
When it comes to a character that would be a good candidate to have a nice personality and be shown talking, that would be Lloyd because he's a WEENIE!!

But yeah, I do think that being able to talk to your party members while Ninten stays silent would be the best idea if they were to add that feature in a Mother 1 remake. It would also be really awesome that, since all the cities would receive a major redesign and probably give each one a unique theme and ambiance, maybe they could add places that are mainly just to spend time with your party members, you know what I'm saying?
Kinda like further showing the friendship of 3 kids hanging out in a city/town.

It would also be really cool if by doing this, Ana could eventually teach Ninten how to use PK Beam (mainly alpha and beta) on his own and/or help her use it by also spending his own PSI points when Ana uses it. You know, just like in the commercial!
If we're applying this idea with Lloyd, maybe Lloyd could teach Ninten how to use some weaker items that only Lloyd can use like Bottle Rockets.
As for Teddy, if Nintendo ever changes some things like they did with Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Saphire. Maybe Ninten's final weapon (The Hank's Bat) is given to him by Teddy. (This would also mean that the game would mainly be a bit changed but also longer, heck, maybe you actually would get to have all 4 party members instead of being forced to switch Lloyd for Teddy)

What do you guys think? Would you like to see this idea I proposed in the game? And what about having the game be slightly different when it comes to stuff like how characters are greeted and maybe the order of some things here and there (along with extra content, the end game is obviously the same for the most part, maybe just extended cuz... well... it's a remake)

PSIRailway

Smash Cadet
It depends. Because Ninten is shown to talk at the end of the game. And the Lloyd, Ana and Teddy are clearly shown to talk.

I believe that, since the protagonist (specially Ninten) is supposed to be the player, maybe he'll be the silent one while the others talk.
When it comes to a character that would be a good candidate to have a nice personality and be shown talking, that would be Lloyd because he's a WEENIE!!

But yeah, I do think that being able to talk to your party members while Ninten stays silent would be the best idea if they were to add that feature in a Mother 1 remake. It would also be really awesome that, since all the cities would receive a major redesign and probably give each one a unique theme and ambiance, maybe they could add places that are mainly just to spend time with your party members, you know what I'm saying?

It would also be really cool if by doing this, Ana could eventually teach Ninten how to use PK Beam (mainly alpha and beta) on his own and/or help her use it by also spending his own PSI points when Ana uses it. You know, just like in the commercial!
If we're applying this idea with Lloyd, maybe Lloyd could teach Ninten how to use some weaker items that only Lloyd can use like Bottle Rockets.
As for Teddy, if Nintendo ever changes some things like they did with Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Saphire. Maybe Ninten's final weapon (The Hank's Bat) is given to him by Teddy. (This would also mean that the game would mainly be a bit changed but also longer, heck, maybe you actually would get to have all 4 party members instead of being forced to switch Lloyd for Teddy)

What do you guys think? Would you like to see this idea I proposed in the game? And what about having the game be slightly different when it comes to stuff like how characters are greeted and maybe the order of some things here and there (along with extra content, the end game is obviously the same for the most part, maybe just extended cuz... well... it's a remake)
I absolutely adore this idea because I'm a sucker for wholesome character interactions. To take this one step further, how do you feel about the idea of voice acting in a Mother remake? I know it might seem a bit jarring at first, but I think that it could probably work and it could make the whole feeling of being able to talk and interact with your teammates more immersive. Voice acting would just bring a whole new level of depth to the games that I'd love to see. Like, what if during a battle and you landed a SMAAAASH attack or something, you could hear your teammates praising you or saying things like, "Good job, Ninten!" or something along the lines of that? And again, even if this might seem really odd at first, what about voice-acted cutscenes? I think that, if done correctly, they could add even more to the development of the characters. I just hope that if they were to do this, the cutscenes wouldn't be super awkward and cheesy, but then again, this is the 80s, so it only seems logical for them to allow a tiny bit of that classic 80s cheese, right? Maybe I'm setting the bar too high, and honestly I'd be happy if they give us anything this year, but I think that it would be a really nice touch.

Also, this is just a random thought that came into my mind, but imagine if at the end of a battle where you reign victorious, you get a cute little victory screen that shows all of the characters celebrating? This was just a random thought I had but I thought it was cute and that maybe y'all would appreciate it.

sorry if everything I just said was incoherent as frick, it's like midnight where I am and I'm tried and just hoping that you guys will get the basic idea lol

D

Deleted member

I love all these ideas lol

I absolutely adore this idea because I'm a sucker for wholesome character interactions. To take this one step further, how do you feel about the idea of voice acting in a Mother remake? I know it might seem a bit jarring at first, but I think that it could probably work and it could make the whole feeling of being able to talk and interact with your teammates more immersive. Voice acting would just bring a whole new level of depth to the games that I'd love to see. Like, what if during a battle and you landed a SMAAAASH attack or something, you could hear your teammates praising you or saying things like, "Good job, Ninten!" or something along the lines of that? And again, even if this might seem really odd at first, what about voice-acted cutscenes? I think that, if done correctly, they could add even more to the development of the characters. I just hope that if they were to do this, the cutscenes wouldn't be super awkward and cheesy, but then again, this is the 80s, so it only seems logical for them to allow a tiny bit of that classic 80s cheese, right? Maybe I'm setting the bar too high, and honestly I'd be happy if they give us anything this year, but I think that it would be a really nice touch.

Also, this is just a random thought that came into my mind, but imagine if at the end of a battle where you reign victorious, you get a cute little victory screen that shows all of the characters celebrating? This was just a random thought I had but I thought it was cute and that maybe y'all would appreciate it.

sorry if everything I just said was incoherent as frick, it's like midnight where I am and I'm tried and just hoping that you guys will get the basic idea lol
While it would be cool, I think the Mother series is best off without voice acting lol.

Another thought I had for a Mother 1 remake are more battle themes and more battle background designs and colors

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
Hey, y'all. New to this thread here. Hope I'm not intruding, but I just want to share a pipe dream I have.

Given how heavily rumored Erdrick is, do you think it'd be possible for Ninten (as a Ness echo) to be announced alongside him? They're both Famicom JRPG protags, with Mother 1 even being kind of a parody of DQ.

Also, I notice someone in this thread has my art as their icon. That made me happy.

PSIRailway

Smash Cadet

While it would be cool, I think the Mother series is best off without voice acting lol.

Another thought I had for a Mother 1 remake are more battle themes and more battle background designs and colors
Yeah, I can see where you're coming from with the voice acting because while it has the potential to be good, well, you know how voice acting can go sometimes XD

As for more battle backgrounds, what about a more standard rpg kind of layout where you can see the characters in the world around them? I feel like that would be cool. At the very least, maybe allow us to see the characters and the original kind of Earthbound battle backgrounds can be kept? I feel like Nintendo should go with the latter since the battle backgrounds are a staple of the series.

D

Deleted member

Hey, y'all. New to this thread here. Hope I'm not intruding, but I just want to share a pipe dream I have.

Given how heavily rumored Erdrick is, do you think it'd be possible for Ninten (as a Ness echo) to be announced alongside him? They're both Famicom JRPG protags, with Mother 1 even being kind of a parody of DQ.

Also, I notice someone in this thread has my art as their icon. That made me happy.
Hello! Ninten as a unique character would be the best possible outcome. I don't think a Ness echo would work because PK Flash and yo-yos do not exist in Mother 1. If Ninten were to be an echo, Lucas would make more sense since Ninten shares more similarities with him than he does with Ness. You could change the Rope Snake to a regular Mother 1 rope, the PK Love in Lucas's aerials to just solid hits, and the final smash to Ninten singing the 8 melodies with Ana and Loid, or Ninten using EVE, since echoes can have different final smashes, as proven by Pit and Dark Pit.

That said, Ninten would definitely work the best as a unique character. He's got so much potential. He can throw boomerangs and control them with his PSI. He can use slingshots. He can use PK beam from Ana. He can warp with 4th-D-Slip. He can use the Onyx hook as a Smash battle entrance. He can use PK shield. He can even borrow assets from Loid like the flame thrower. He can use telepathy. He can even use Hank's bat as a Melee weapon. There's so much you can do with Ninten to make him unique.

Btw, I was thinking it would be cool if Ninten were to get in along with Erdrick, if he is in. Like you said, Mother 1 was heavily influenced by the original Dragon Quest trilogy, and Mother 1 was Nintendo's first RPG! Along with a Dragon Quest character, most likely Erdrick, Ninten is one of the last remaining NES reps for Smash and one of the last remaining protagonists for Nintendo's history, if not the last.

And all the Ninten art in the thread is awesome, so, whichever one you made, I love it lol.

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from with the voice acting because while it has the potential to be good, well, you know how voice acting can go sometimes XD

As for more battle backgrounds, what about a more standard rpg kind of layout where you can see the characters in the world around them? I feel like that would be cool. At the very least, maybe allow us to see the characters and the original kind of Earthbound battle backgrounds can be kept? I feel like Nintendo should go with the latter since the battle backgrounds are a staple of the series.
I feel though like the turn based battle system already used in the Mother trilogy should be kept, since it is a staple in the series.

New Age Retro Hippy for DLC?
Wouldn't even be mad

PSIRailway

Smash Cadet
Hello! Ninten as a unique character would be the best possible outcome. I don't think a Ness echo would work because PK Flash and yo-yos do not exist in Mother 1. If Ninten were to be an echo, Lucas would make more sense since Ninten shares more similarities with him than he does with Ness. You could change the Rope Snake to a regular Mother 1 rope, the PK Love in Lucas's aerials to just solid hits, and the final smash to Ninten singing the 8 melodies with Ana and Loid, or Ninten using EVE, since echoes can have different final smashes, as proven by Pit and Dark Pit.

That said, Ninten would definitely work the best as a unique character. He's got so much potential. He can throw boomerangs and control them with his PSI. He can use slingshots. He can use PK beam from Ana. He can warp with 4th-D-Slip. He can use the Onyx hook as a Smash battle entrance. He can use PK shield. He can even borrow assets from Loid like the flame thrower. He can use telepathy. He can even use Hank's bat as a Melee weapon. There's so much you can do with Ninten to make him unique.

Btw, I was thinking it would be cool if Ninten were to get in along with Erdrick, if he is in. Like you said, Mother 1 was heavily influenced by the original Dragon Quest trilogy, and Mother 1 was Nintendo's first RPG! Along with a Dragon Quest character, most likely Erdrick, Ninten is one of the last remaining NES reps for Smash and one of the last remaining protagonists for Nintendo's history, if not the last.

And all the Ninten art in the thread is awesome, so, whichever one you made, I love it lol.

I feel though like the turn based battle system already used in the Mother trilogy should be kept, since it is a staple in the series.

Wouldn't even be mad
Yeah, of course keep the turn-based gameplay. Tbh Mother really wouldn't work with a real-time combat system. I just meant in a way more like Pokemon where you can see yourself as well as the enemy but the battles are still turn-based.

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice

Wouldn't even be mad
Ninten as a unique fighter would be nice, but I feel like him being an Echo is the best chance we've got. I wouldn't mind either way.

Although, him being a Lucas echo sounds like it'd require more workarounds than Ness. If it were up to me, I'd just replace PK Flash with Freeze (visually, not in function).

I'd also make a simple change to his Yo-yo smash attacks: Keep the same animation, but replace the Yo-yo with PK. In all honesty, though, they'd probably just keep the Yo-yo. Echoes have a history of inheriting moves from their originals that make no sense for them (see: Daisy's Toad).

I'd also make his Final Smash something a little more generic, like a Critical Hit animation, but it says "Smaaaash!" instead. Something that wouldn't require too much work.

Unique Ninten would be cool, though.

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408

I don't 100% disagree at the idea of voice acting in a Mother game, but I think that would be like making the Animal Crossing characters talk all the time with actual voices.

HOWEVER!

I do believe that they could easily implement text boxes of the protagonists talking in the middle of the battle, kinda being on the right of the screen bellow the textbox on the top of the screen. (You know, somewhere where it wouldn't block anything)
If anything, I think that they could have a Don't Starve voices. And for those who don't know what I mean, in Don't Starve, all the characters have their own instrument when they are talking. Anything from yawning to getting hurt or just plain talking is displayed by their own instrument representing their voice.
Since Mother 3 had each character with their own instrument when they attack someone (and since I believe they might put the mechanics from Mom 3 in a Mother remake) I believe the instruments of Ninten, Lloyd, Ana and Teddy would also happen to be their voices when they speak or show emotion.

Still. I really love this idea, which further contributes to my previous idea. Time to contact Nintendo, bois!

Ninten as a unique fighter would be nice, but I feel like him being an Echo is the best chance we've got. I wouldn't mind either way.

Although, him being a Lucas echo sounds like it'd require more workarounds than Ness. If it were up to me, I'd just replace PK Flash with Freeze (visually, not in function).

I'd also make a simple change to his Yo-yo smash attacks: Keep the same animation, but replace the Yo-yo with PK. In all honesty, though, they'd probably just keep the Yo-yo. Echoes have a history of inheriting moves from their originals that make no sense for them (see: Daisy's Toad).

I'd also make his Final Smash something a little more generic, like a Critical Hit animation, but it says "Smaaaash!" instead. Something that wouldn't require too much work.

Well, Ken was the last echo and he was looking unique having different properties in specials and different neutrals.
That said, with Ninten being an echo, he could be a Ness echo by having these differences.

- Has Ness' old up-air
- Has a different forward air where he swings his bat down (can spike)
- PK Fire is instead PK Beam, a slower but bigger and more powerful projectile that deals one strong hit (it's energy based instead of fire based)
- Up B is 4th-D Slip, a move that works like the Starman Assist trophy teleport move when it comes to speed and how much it takes to teleport (basically, good distance and can be very maneuverable like PK Thunder as a projectile but is slower than other teleport moves like Zelda and Palutena)
- Most if not all neutrals are physical instead of having PSI on them
- PSI Magnet is instead Powershield, except it reflects physical and energy projectiles
- Dash attack, Down Smash and Up Smash are replaced by Lucas', but with the PSI visual effects made to look like PK Beam.
- PK Flash is either PK Freeze like you said or Darkness, which would be an inbetween when it comes to how fast it is to cast and it creates a black hole for one second before doing an explosion of darkness. Deals less damage and knockback than PK Flash but it's easier to land due to the black hole effect sucking in opponents.
- Slower but heavier (due to being a more defensive characters when compared to Ness)
- Final Smash is PK Beam Ω, where he summons Lloyd and Ana and together shoot a long yellow beam like Mii Gunner's Final Smash. (Or maybe make it like Samus)

I know this may seem like a lot at first, but since 3 of the specials are projectiles then I believe it would be easy to just add different properties. Same with borrowing moves from others. And adding a few new moves has also been done. So with all these points that's how I would make a Ninten echo.
You basically would not have the multihit moves that pressure opponents or the good move to edge guard that is PK Thunder or the Powerful PK Flash but you would have a forward air that can kill and spike, a reflector for all projectiles (apart from the bat), a more newbie-friendly recovery and a different Final Smash.

...I still think he's much better as a unique fighter, obviously.

PuffinToast34

Smash Cadet
Switch FC

We can finally get some great Famicom mascots for smash! It sure is possible, especially since rumours of Erdrick are going around.

Anthess

Smash Rookie
Alas, even if I love Mother, I think Ninten would be bad received by non-fans, because of his resemblance with Ness. And if it was an echo, it would be exactly the same character with the same appearance (more old school though). They are different but their design is the same. I think there is more chance to see Flying Man or Porky in the game than Ninten. BUT, if one day, there's eventually a remake and that a new appearance is given to Ninten, then I think there will be a chance... And it will be great !

D

Deleted member

I think that shows he would work better on Lucas though, as an echo.

Ness and Lucas have more similarities than Ninten does with either of them even, so if Lucas can end up as his own fighter, I think Ninten can as well if he is in.

Alas, even if I love Mother, I think Ninten would be bad received by non-fans, because of his resemblance with Ness. And if it was an echo, it would be exactly the same character with the same appearance (more old school though). They are different but their design is the same. I think there is more chance to see Flying Man or Porky in the game than Ninten. BUT, if one day, there's eventually a remake and that a new appearance is given to Ninten, then I think there will be a chance... And it will be great !
Well, if Sakurai cared that fans wouldn't receive characters well, Dark Pit, Lucina, Corrin, Incineroar, and Piranha Plant wouldn't have been added.

About their design, see Marth and Lucina. Plus, they can use his design from the official Mother 1 Japanese commercial, which has him wearing a white, blue, and red striped shirt, and a bandana.

PSIRailway

Smash Cadet
I don't 100% disagree at the idea of voice acting in a Mother game, but I think that would be like making the Animal Crossing characters talk all the time with actual voices.

HOWEVER!

I do believe that they could easily implement text boxes of the protagonists talking in the middle of the battle, kinda being on the right of the screen bellow the textbox on the top of the screen. (You know, somewhere where it wouldn't block anything)
If anything, I think that they could have a Don't Starve voices. And for those who don't know what I mean, in Don't Starve, all the characters have their own instrument when they are talking. Anything from yawning to getting hurt or just plain talking is displayed by their own instrument representing their voice.
Since Mother 3 had each character with their own instrument when they attack someone (and since I believe they might put the mechanics from Mom 3 in a Mother remake) I believe the instruments of Ninten, Lloyd, Ana and Teddy would also happen to be their voices when they speak or show emotion.

Still. I really love this idea, which further contributes to my previous idea. Time to contact Nintendo, bois!

Well, Ken was the last echo and he was looking unique having different properties in specials and different neutrals.
That said, with Ninten being an echo, he could be a Ness echo by having these differences.

- Has Ness' old up-air
- Has a different forward air where he swings his bat down (can spike)
- PK Fire is instead PK Beam, a slower but bigger and more powerful projectile that deals one strong hit (it's energy based instead of fire based)
- Up B is 4th-D Slip, a move that works like the Starman Assist trophy teleport move when it comes to speed and how much it takes to teleport (basically, good distance and can be very maneuverable like PK Thunder as a projectile but is slower than other teleport moves like Zelda and Palutena)
- Most if not all neutrals are physical instead of having PSI on them
- PSI Magnet is instead Powershield, except it reflects physical and energy projectiles
- Dash attack, Down Smash and Up Smash are replaced by Lucas', but with the PSI visual effects made to look like PK Beam.
- PK Flash is either PK Freeze like you said or Darkness, which would be an inbetween when it comes to how fast it is to cast and it creates a black hole for one second before doing an explosion of darkness. Deals less damage and knockback than PK Flash but it's easier to land due to the black hole effect sucking in opponents.
- Slower but heavier (due to being a more defensive characters when compared to Ness)
- Final Smash is PK Beam Ω, where he summons Lloyd and Ana and together shoot a long yellow beam like Mii Gunner's Final Smash. (Or maybe make it like Samus)

I know this may seem like a lot at first, but since 3 of the specials are projectiles then I believe it would be easy to just add different properties. Same with borrowing moves from others. And adding a few new moves has also been done. So with all these points that's how I would make a Ninten echo.
You basically would not have the multihit moves that pressure opponents or the good move to edge guard that is PK Thunder or the Powerful PK Flash but you would have a forward air that can kill and spike, a reflector for all projectiles (apart from the bat), a more newbie-friendly recovery and a different Final Smash.

...I still think he's much better as a unique fighter, obviously.
Undertale voices Ok but seriously, I do think that the whole instrument voices thing is a good idea. I feel like maybe Ana's could be the flute, Lloyd's could be the oboe (I'm not sure on this but he should definitely have some kind of woodwind instrument), Ninten's could be the bass guitar, and Teddy's could be either the electric guitar or saxophone?

As for Ninten being an echo, I feel like it could happen and I wouldn't even be mad especially if he were given some slight property changes like the ones you mentioned. However, I do hope that he is unique. That's a best-case scenario for me and I know that Sakurai could make it happen if he wanted to.

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
Undertale voices Ok but seriously, I do think that the whole instrument voices thing is a good idea. I feel like maybe Ana's could be the flute, Lloyd's could be the oboe (I'm not sure on this but he should definitely have some kind of woodwind instrument), Ninten's could be the bass guitar, and Teddy's could be either the electric guitar or saxophone?

As for Ninten being an echo, I feel like it could happen and I wouldn't even be mad especially if he were given some slight property changes like the ones you mentioned. However, I do hope that he is unique. That's a best-case scenario for me and I know that Sakurai could make it happen if he wanted to.
Thank you! I like the flute being Ana and Lloyd being the Oboe or any wooden instrument! I was thinking that Ninten could actually be the ocarina or some kinda of wind instrument, just like Ana (Maybe not the ocarina since it would kinda be weird having his voice and the instrument he plays be the same thing lol). As for Teddy, I think the electric guitar fits him really well!

I got a bit inspired by the idea when I saw this animation a shared with me. I think that if a Mother remake were to have cutscenes with no text or dialogue and just letting the characters express themselves just by facial expressions and body movement, adding instruments noises along with them emoting sounds like a good idea. Don't Starve together does that wonderfully, and I wouldn't be surprised if the animator who made this got inspired by that concept.
(And yes, by extension maybe the monsters could have the noises they have for when they attack being also when they receive a strong hit they're weak to or when they're defeated or something)

Also, that fricking Porky Statue fight is ROUGH.

Last edited:

PSIRailway

Smash Cadet
Thank you! I like the flute being Ana and Lloyd being the Oboe or any wooden instrument! I was thinking that Ninten could actually be the ocarina or some kinda of wind instrument, just like Ana (Maybe not the ocarina since it would kinda be weird having his voice and the instrument he plays be the same thing lol). As for Teddy, I think the electric guitar fits him really well!

I got a bit inspired by the idea when I saw this animation a shared with me. I think that if a Mother remake were to have cutscenes with no text or dialogue and just letting the characters express themselves just by facial expressions and body movement, adding instruments noises along with them emoting sounds like a good idea. Don't Starve together does that wonderfully, and I wouldn't be surprised if the animator who made this got inspired by that concept.
(And yes, by extension maybe the monsters could have the noises they have for when they attack being also when they receive a strong hit they're weak to or when they're defeated or something)

Also, that fricking Porky Statue fight is ROUGH.

Yes! I really like this idea. Honestly, I'd kill for a Mother remake with full-fledged cutscenes like this because the cutscenes in the games currently, while charming in their own ways, don't convey as much emotion as they could because of the technical limitations of the NES, SNES, and GBA. It would be awesome to see the characters become more expressive, giving them deeper personalities. The game developers now have so much more freedom to make something epic and cinematic given the capabilities of the Switch.

D

Deleted member

There's nothing like seeing a remake of one of your favorite 8 or 16 bit games in glorious 3D. I finished another one of my favorite games, Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga, for a second time recently, and seeing it remade was gorgeous.

maxresdefault.jpg

vs.

1907258.jpg

Now just imagine

mother.jpg

looking something like

FlatPowerfulBlackbear-mobile.jpg

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
There's nothing like seeing a remake of one of your favorite 8 or 16 bit games in glorious 3D. I finished another one of my favorite games, Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga, for a second time recently, and seeing it remade was gorgeous.

View attachment 197724

vs.

View attachment 197725

Now just imagine

View attachment 197727

looking something like

View attachment 197728
I can really see it happening and looking kinda like this! I think they would just change the lighting and all that a bit, just like they did when they went from Pokemon Let's Go to Pokemon Sword and Shield.

And this time we would finally get to have the enemies walking around! :D

Yes! I really like this idea. Honestly, I'd kill for a Mother remake with full-fledged cutscenes like this because the cutscenes in the games currently, while charming in their own ways, don't convey as much emotion as they could because of the technical limitations of the NES, SNES, and GBA. It would be awesome to see the characters become more expressive, giving them deeper personalities. The game developers now have so much more freedom to make something epic and cinematic given the capabilities of the Switch.
Exactly! I would not be mad if they used the same artstyle of the Mother characters as how they appear in Smash. Ness, Lucas and all of their companions looks great with it, after all.

Also I just realized that Lucas is being a savage in that animation and flipping the bird at the statue

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I can really see it happening and looking kinda like this! I think they would just change the lighting and all that a bit, just like they did when they went from Pokemon Let's Go to Pokemon Sword and Shield.

Exactly! I would not be mad if they used the same artstyle of the Mother characters as how they appear in Smash. Ness, Lucas and all of their companions looks great with it, after all.

Also I just realized that Lucas is being a savage in that animation and flipping the bird at the statue
Nintendo let me see all the Mother 1 enemies walking and running around, minding their own business, with Ninten smacking them in the face with Hank's Bat. Please.

That reminds me, they should also make more battle text, instead of just "*insert enemy or boss* draws near!"

D

Deleted member

Can't tell if this user is joking or trolling, so I think we should just ignore them for now lol

Anyways, do you guys think music throughout the Mother series should be in each game, for instance, the bein' friends theme also being in a remake of Earthbound and Mother 3 or themes like Kraken's theme being in Mother 1 and 3?

PSIRailway

Smash Cadet

Nintendo let me see all the Mother 1 enemies walking and running around, minding their own business, with Ninten smacking them in the face with Hank's Bat. Please.

That reminds me, they should also make more battle text, instead of just "*insert enemy or boss* draws near!"
Imagine seeing the enemies walking around Pokemon: Let's Go! style. I think that that would be pretty neat.
Can't tell if this user is joking or trolling, so I think we should just ignore them for now lol

Anyways, do you guys think music throughout the Mother series should be in each game, for instance, the bein' friends theme also being in a remake of Earthbound and Mother 3 or themes like Kraken's theme being in Mother 1 and 3?
I think that would be cool idea and it would be a nice touch so that long-time Mother fans could hear the songs and think, "Oh hey! I recognize this theme from Earthbound!" I feel like it could add a nice amount of consistency to the games, sorta like how all of the Pokemon battle themes are similar enough that you can tell that one sorta evolved into another and another over time.

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
Why would you want yet another Mother character? Do you guys not want variety?
...You're kidding, right?

By that logic, why do you want Geno in Smash (Which I know you do since you got a profile pic of him and I see you're mostly active in the Geno thread) if he's yet ANOTHER Mario character? Who also happens to be ANOTHER character from Square. Don't you want variety?

You know... like... I dunno, Mother / Earthbound? That one underrated series who did not get any new fighters in Super Smash Bros Ultimate? While some other series that also only had 2 characters like Metroid, Donkey Kong and Star Fox received at least a new fighter?

No offense or anything (in fact I also highly support Geno fans who are not disrespectful against other characters), but between Ninten and Geno, Ninten definitely brings more variety if we're going with your logic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom