• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Copying Brawl Data

Niko90

Smash Cadet
Well, I've unlocked everything for my neighbors so that they we could play together with all the characters since they are only able to play 1 hour per day...unlocking the characters would take too many days. So, I unlocked everything and went to copy to my SD card to find that Brawl Data can't be copied. I've heard it is because Brawl is a "wifi game" but why would online play affect data transfer? This is shame for my neighbors because now they will have to unlock everything slowly day by day. I'm not one to complain...I love the game...but this is epic failure.

Domikaze

Smash Rookie
Yeah man. My girlfriend lives in Vegas and I have been at her house for the past 3 weeks for my break and I am heading back to Jersey tommorow. Needless to say I bought a copy out here and unlocked everything and only to find out that I cannot transfer data to my SD card. So now when I go back home I gotta go through everything again. I called Nintendo before to see whats up and for whatever reason you just can't do it. Lame.

-Ran

Smash Master
Probably a built in limitation so that in order to have all the characters/items, you have to earn them. Increases replayability in the eyes of marketing.

Nekoda Tsukino

Smash Rookie
Probably a built in limitation so that in order to have all the characters/items, you have to earn them. Increases replayability in the eyes of marketing.
I agree. To copy a game is...kinda stupid. I mean, in the thread creator's situation, I don't see a problem. But, it's toward a better cause. Copying a game just to get everything and not earn them? You might as well not have bought a copy in the first place.

I'm earning all my characters.

Didn't I hear that to play online, any new characters in an online battle are given to those in that battle that do not have them? I thought that's what I heard.

Niko90

Smash Cadet
We play together, all four of us. Since brawl came out, the last thing they want to spend nearly a whole week doing is unlocking things. They want to play. So since I have a lot of time I unlocked characters and such. So, in theory, I could bring the Wii over, but I'm not doing it for long, and we were planning on playing this as often as we've played melee together.

Oh, and pockyD, that wolves thing is like...really scaring me...

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
Yeah my friend couldn't get his copy until 10 am on sunday... so we played at my house at midnight.... when we tried copying our combined success onto his SD card.... it just said "This data cannot be copied"...

kinda annoying... but oh well... he got all the characters before i did XP

muffin™

Smash Rookie
well in the bright side of things, everyone gets to enjoy the story mode for them selves.

RayLewis08

Smash Rookie
Its probably so you can't cheat gambling.. You could get infinite continues in every mode with ease. Bet all coins, if you lose, reset and reload your save from SD.

Arteen

Smash Lord
I agree. To copy a game is...kinda stupid. I mean, in the thread creator's situation, I don't see a problem. But, it's toward a better cause. Copying a game just to get everything and not earn them? You might as well not have bought a copy in the first place.

I'm earning all my characters.
There are more reasons than that to copy a game. Personally, I have my copy of Brawl sent to my house, and I was planning on playing the game with my sister, then copying the data to bring back to college with me, without having to bring my own Wii along.

Thanks for the heads-up, OP. You just saved me some frustration.

Didn't I hear that to play online, any new characters in an online battle are given to those in that battle that do not have them? I thought that's what I heard.
No, I'm pretty sure you didn't. I think that you're misremembering Sakurai's statement that the game will make no effort to hide secret characters when playing online.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
That's actually very, very lame. I was going to bring my copy of the game to a friend's place out of town over the weekend for St. Patty's day. I'll still be bringing it, but playing without any of the unlocks is going to be disappointing =/

Maybe I'll just bring my Wii...that's quite the hassle though.

bnestman

Smash Cadet
Ah man, I was gonna head to a big Smash party for the weekend...I guess I'll pack the Wii along then...

All Eyez On E

Smash Cadet
@ TC - Take a look at my topic regarding speed unlocking characters here:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=151671

You can unlock EVERY character through the VS. mode.

An easy way to do this (though very, very repetitive) is to go into special brawl, select STAMINA and FLOWER as your only 2 options. Once in the character select screen, select a computer character and set their Stamina (HP) to 1. Set your own to anything higher than 1. All matches will last less than a few seconds as the computer will die immediately. Keep repeating until the character(s) you want are unlocked. Again, this is the fastest possible way to unlock every character.

Ness - 5 matches
Marth - 10 matches
Snake - 15 matches (all 15 must be played on Shadow Moses Island)
Luigi - 25 matches
Falco - 50 matches
Captain Falcon - 70 matches
Lucario - 100 matches
R.O.B. - 150 matches
Ganondorf - 200 matches
Mr. Game & Watch - 250 matches
Sonic - 300 matches
Jigglypuff - 350 matches
Toon Link - 400 matches
Wolf - 450 matches
Given the situation, using this method your neighbors can easily have every character unlocked in 2 days (if they can really only play 1 hour per day). Again, it's very repetitive but at the same time it IS the fastest and easiest way to obtain all the unlockables.

kitsuneboy_geoff

Smash Apprentice
It's not the only game like that. Pokemon battle revolution and a few others do the same thing. It might have something to do with the Wii's storage architecture, rather than a built-in limitation. The games that won't copy all use up a lot of blocks.

Niko90

Smash Cadet

Given the situation, using this method your neighbors can easily have every character unlocked in 2 days (if they can really only play 1 hour per day). Again, it's very repetitive but at the same time it IS the fastest and easiest way to obtain all the unlockables.
That's how I did it. However, my neighbors are young children. I doubt they want to do something like that.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919

*snip*

If you do them in a certain order you can also unlock a few stages. (Play DK and Kirby to get some stages, Toon Link, CF for music and Peach for some other thing)

Also Lightning mode cuts it down quite a bit.

iluvnintendo1983

Smash Journeyman
Although I wasn't planning on copying anything for anyone...this still sucks. I back up all my saved files on an SD card, so if something ever goes wrong with the Wii and I loose my saved data...I have backups. However, now I have no way of backing up my Brawl data, and if I ever loose it somehow...I'm completely screwed. It's going to take me weeks to unlock all the trophies, stickers, music tracks, etc. If my Wii craps out somewhere down the road (and it probably will eventually) and I loose my Brawl data...I'm never going to want to go through all the trouble to collect everything in the game again.

Zek

Smash Ace
We've known about this since Japanese launch. And yes, it is extremely stupid. There's no good excuse for this. To the people defending it, just think about the implications. It is IMPOSSIBLE to transfer a save, even temporarily. Ever brought a memory card with Melee data to a friend's house? Now you'll have to bring your Wii. And if I complete every challenge I want to back up my save just in case anything happens, but nope, now I'm completely uninsured and have to start over from scratch if my Wii breaks or whatever. It is completely ridiculous that the Wii gives you less freedom with your saves than the Gamecube did.

Top Bottom