• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official NintenZone's Nintendo Direct Hosting Party

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Well, it's official. Better grab up that Lucas amiibo before NoA wipes all memories of MOTHER 3 from our existence.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
This Smash Bros. will be in the history of gaming forever, to be absolutely honest.

Sakurai did say he "wanted to make the best character game" with Smash Bros. and he just did. He's a man of his word.

I was joking...
I am really glad to see Cloud though, great addition!
I realized you were joking.

Still, agreed with you on that.

Chrono.

December feels so far away even though there's only like 2 weeks left for it.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
Was I the only one not thinking Wolf? I was actually wondering for a second if it was even a Smash trailer lol. The instant I saw Smash and the X, I knew it was a 3rd party. When I saw the close up of the logo, I started freaking out that Cloud was chosen. Then I saw the stage, the boots, and then Cloud himself. It was pretty hype all things considered.

I wonder what could even be included in the Smash brodcast. I'm assuming something like the Smash direct in June, so more stages, mii costumes, a look at how Cloud works, then a new reaval trailer for the next character. I'm slowly starting to think it's all 3rd parties from now on, but I'm not sure...

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Kind of sad because Cloud was the next character I was going to do for my Source Gaming "Case For DLC" series. Same exact thing happened with Ryu.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
It ****ing better. We have mother 1 and 2. We need to bring 3 with it.
Shut up nerd!

I jest.....mostly =P

Kind of sad because Cloud was the next character I was going to do for my Source Gaming "Case For DLC" series. Same exact thing happened with Ryu.
I dont suppose you mind "planning" one for Bayonetta do you?

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Sega - Sonic
Capcom - Megaman & Ryu
Namco - Pacman
Square - Cloud Strife

Konami - Snake? Bomberman? Simon Belmont?
Tecmo Koei - Ryu Hayabusa?

Major Japanese video game developers unite!

Chrono.

Wanna know the best part of the Smash Direct?

Last time we watched almost knowing everything.

This time we're gonna watch it only knowing Cloud.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Wanna know the best part of the Smash Direct?

Last time we watched almost knowing everything.

This time we're gonna watch it only knowing Cloud.
That's practically why this trailer was so amazing compared to the Roy/Ryu trailers. Had we not known about them, the hype would've been just as huge as the hype we have today.
Also, I just realized that Cloud now has a official genderswap Link for himself for shipper's sake. No more need to worry about being the lady of the two anymore.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Didn't even know you were a Cloud Supporter I glad too see another supporter. :)
I think there's a difference between actively supporting and defending the character's importance. To be honest, I'd prefer fewer third parties, but on the list of third parties, Cloud was always one of the clear and obvious (though I never would have said likely) choices, that people always discounted simply because he's a PlayStation icon.

Funny enough, however, that was always one of the things I considered to be in his favor. Being one of the most successful and iconic non-Nintendo characters is, in its own way, a strong link to Nintendo, through the late 90s rivalry between the PlayStation and N64. It's really not any different from including Sonic.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I think there's a difference between actively supporting and defending the character's importance. To be honest, I'd prefer fewer third parties, but on the list of third parties, Cloud was always one of the clear and obvious (though I never would have said likely) choices, that people always discounted simply because he's a PlayStation icon.

Funny enough, however, that was always one of the things I considered to be in his favor. Being one of the most successful and iconic non-Nintendo characters is, in its own way, a strong link to Nintendo, through the late 90s rivalry between the PlayStation and N64. It's really not any different from including Sonic.
PushDustIn PushDustIn and myself were actually discussing it in our Sourcegaming chat, and as weird as it sounds Master Cheif is the next logical step... even if he makes no sense and doesn't fit. It's not a serious choice from us, but it is a sexy pick and he is pretty much the Ryu/Cloud of console FPS games.

Strofirko

Smash Master
Guys I am disappointed...

With the fanbase I make part of.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
PushDustIn PushDustIn and myself were actually discussing it in our Sourcegaming chat, and as weird as it sounds Master Cheif is the next logical step... even if he makes no sense and doesn't fit. It's not a serious choice from us, but it is a sexy pick and he is pretty much the Ryu/Cloud of console FPS games.
See, by that point, Nintendo was sort of pushed to the side. It became about XBox vs Sony, with Nintendo on the sidelines looking in. Even when the Wii outsold the 'big boys', it was still XBox vs Sony.

The PlayStation vs N64 was really the last classic Nintendo rivalry.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
Eh, only reason I couldn't see a character like Master Chief happening is....well, he isn't even from a 3rd party company. Wouldn't he technically be a first party character? I'd find the idea interesting, but I would definitely question it lol.

Definitely seems reactions on Cloud are mixed. Half is hyped and find him really cool, other half don't like him. Probably our most decisive character yet.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Eh, only reason I couldn't see a character like Master Chief happening is....well, he isn't even from a 3rd party company. Wouldn't he technically be a first party character? I'd find the idea interesting, but I would definitely question it lol.

Definitely seems reactions on Cloud are mixed. Half is hyped and find him really cool, other half don't like him. Probably our most decisive character yet.
Not saying it's going to ever happen, just that there is a certain logic behind it.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I personally think Cloud makes Banjo a little bit more possible, Master Chief doesn't really work because there hasn't ever really been a "rivalry" between Nintendo and Microsoft.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I wouldn't say Halo's legacy is equal to that of series which originated in arcade/ nes era.
I would also say working with third parties such as sega, namco, square, konami, are very different than microsoft & sony.
Not sure if Smash is breaking that wall down just yet..
It's a bit more of a jump.
Considering ubisoft or activision haven't got a character yet, idk Master Cheif is a bit further of a logical jump.

D

Deleted member

Want to run that by me again?

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Want to run that by me again?
Tell me, right now, that that choice wouldn't break the internet. Non-Smash fans in particular. I don't really care for it, but the seris sold over 65 million units and it's seminal FPS. It would be headline grabbing. (IE: Sexy)

EDIT: By the way, something else PushDustIn PushDustIn shared with me. The end of Smash DLC is here, guys, looks like Cloud + 2 more is what we're getting.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/201...details-for-Christmas-and-beyond-1068261.html

• A New Challenger Approaches!: Cloud Strife – the legendary protagonist from the classic RPG game FINAL FANTASY VII – will enter the battlefield as a playable fighter in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS in the future. Additionally, a special broadcast – the last one for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS – will be released in December. More information is available at the official Super Smash Bros. website.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Tell me, right now, that that choice wouldn't break the internet. Non-Smash fans in particular. I don't really care for it, but the seris sold over 65 million units and it's seminal FPS. It would be headline grabbing. (IE: Sexy)
No, I get that it would break the internet.
However, I was confused by the term "sexy" (hence why I underlined it). A rather unorthodox choice in words, you have to admit.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Nintendo Direct Breakdown by the SG Team

Roundtable post will be coming tomorrow.

I think we are due for an E3 style reveal.

They announced Lucas before hand.

Ryu and Roy were suppose to be special announcements that day (they got leaked though).

This follows the same pattern perfectly, and would be a great way to end Smash DLC.

Last edited:

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
EDIT: By the way, something else PushDustIn PushDustIn shared with me. The end of Smash DLC is here, guys, looks like Cloud + 2 more is what we're getting.
Where does it say anywhere that Cloud + 2 more is the end? I don't see that anywhere, I also don't understand where the author of that article gets "last Smash Direct" from, I see no proof of that.

Edit: Oops lol I didn't notice that site was official.

I still don't see anything that says we only get 2 more characters after Cloud though.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So is there basically two characters left if if it's the last dedicated smash direct?

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Man, people are getting WAY too worked up... But what else is new, I guess.

I mean, there's like a dozen other Square characters I would have rather had, sure. Neku, Sora, Terra, Chrono, Black Mage... The G word that shall not be uttered...

But I'm STILL so hyped. 7 is definitely not my favorite FF, but the significance of 7 can NEVER be argued. Like it or not, Cloud is one of the poster boys of JRPGs. Period. It's certainly a very SURPRISING choice, but not an unjustified one.

Don't get me wrong, I COMPLETELY understand people who aren't happy with this. Like, I really do. This isn't as simple as people who have argued against Shulk, no, this is as close to left field as we can possibly get without exiting gaming territory. It is a Nintendo fighting game, and 7 has had little to no history on Nintendo systems (Although it's almost hilarious considering Square's development hell with the N64, it's almost as if it finally came full circle). People have every right to not like his inclusion.

But at the same time, like... chill out. Obviously not talking to everyone here, but it's just silly. Then again, it's never NOT silly here, isn't it.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750

I think this confirms Cloud is a ballot character.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
No, I get that it would break the internet.
However, I was confused by the term "sexy" (hence why I underlined it). A rather unorthodox choice in words, you have to admit.
Sexy
adjective, sexier, sexiest.
1.concerned predominantly or excessively with sex; risqué:
a sexy novel.

2. sexually interesting or exciting; radiating sexuality:
the sexiest professor on campus.

3. excitingly appealing; glamorous:

Definition number 3 my friend.

Last edited:
I mean. . .I would LOVE master chief with all my heart . . .but I think the no guns thing would come into play here a little bit. Sure the coveneant weaponry could work from being plasma (barely worse than a Mii gunner) .

But master chief without an Assualt Rifle (easily top 2 most iconic weapon. only energy sword competes)/smg/battle rifle/etc? just doesn't feel right.

D

Deleted member

Master Chief would only make sense if it was something like Kratos we got today. We only got Cloud.

Sexy
adjective, sexier, sexiest.
1.concerned predominantly or excessively with sex; risqué:
a sexy novel.

2. sexually interesting or exciting; radiating sexuality:
the sexiest professor on campus.

3. excitingly appealing; glamorous:

Definition number 3 my friend.
I have literally never seen that definition for the word "sexy" before today.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
Master Chief would only make sense if it was something like Kratos we got today. We only got Cloud.

I believe it's a relative new definition (20-30 years) of the word. These things change all the time. Sometimes it's a natural progression and others times there's a specific motive behind the changes.
[shrugs]
People; amiright?

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

It's used a lot when people are talking about new tech.

Sexy new iPhone, that sort of thing. It's just means it's appealing in a flashy and eye catching sort of way.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Kyrogre raised the sea level.

I wonder what Sakurai means by "fairly difficult requests"? Could Sakurai be referring to characters that has licensing issues but could justify getting added through DLC?

If so... this has me worried about whenever or not we'll get another Nintendo character. I don't mind Cloud's inclusion, but I would really not want the other two characters to be third-party characters.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Sega - Sonic
Capcom - Megaman & Ryu
Namco - Pacman
Square - Cloud Strife

Only other Japanese dev I could see getting a rep at this point, other then the ones you mentioned, is Level-5.

I'm really starting to miss Snake with all these other third parties showing up.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, apparently, there's people (at my surprise) that would disagree with this, but I don;t think all the three slots including cloud would be all third party.

I just don;t think it would make much sense. Cloud being in ballot to me make sense, what wouldn’t make sense is systematically choose the ballot to be third party only for ssb4 (and I guess keep the rest for future games). See, there;s some reasons that I just don;t think it could make sense.

First, these 3 slots appeared even before the ballot ended with the first 2 were seen really early (so early that I think you could say they got added as the ballot started or even before). If they intended to only have third party on all ballot slots (because the ballot was certainly planned before), how could they actually know there would be at least 2 good candidate?

Because if you think about it, they have to do the ballot to get reliable data, they won;t assume the data before it comes. That would remove the point of doing a ballot, they really had to do the ballot before knowing this.

Adding a third slot a bit after (although, idk if we can safely say it happened right on the update that it was discovered) raises the suspicions even more. They would have had to know 2 third party was going in the ballot and while the ballot would happen add a third slot OR they intended to have 3 slots which makes even less sense if the third party theory is true and the paragraph I just said before.

Basically, no matter when the third slots was added, it all comes down to they had to know the data before, but this just removes the point of the ballot.

So it had to be decided after the ballot, but then I still have a very weird feeling.

Why exactly would they ever do this on a ballot that actually was meant for any valid character? I mean, they will only keep this data "in case" future game happens, but the reality is no one know if they will exist. Not that they won;t happen, but it;s not decided if there will be one so leaving the entire ballot to be third party with the intend to have the first party get in future game is VERY weird.

Cause that logic would assume they know they are making another game, but isn't sakurai a third party dev? Because once the dlc ends for this game......it just ends, his job would be done. Like seriously, unless he signed another contract (which I REALLY doubt at this point), he wouldn;t know if he would work on future smash game aka why would they split the third party and first party choices NIOW?

Sorry PushDustIn PushDustIn but after thinking about it, I just have to disagree here, I don;t see how it would make sense.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Sega - Sonic
Capcom - Megaman & Ryu
Namco - Pacman
Square - Cloud Strife

Can there be some western video game love for once? Please?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
A bit late, but better late than never.

Over 24 hours have passed since the end of the Direct, so this thread will now close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom