• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Yo, if two young dudes crash each other cars and get sent flying at the same time from them, who becomes the Isekai protagonist?
Trick questions, The cars do
What's that supposed to mean
he playin Persona 5. The expultion date is basickly the time limit of the dungeon his on/finished

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Is there a trope in gaming where the main protagonist of the story becomes the main antagonist in the later half of the story?

I mean some games do that in between different releases but what I had in mind is a character who's the main hero of the first half of the game but becomes the main villain in the latter half. The game would then go through a huge time skip where the game is played from a new hero's perspective.

Trying to look up the trope for this but the best fit I could find was Protagonist Journey to Villain. Which I guess partially describes that scenario.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Is there a trope in gaming where the main protagonist of the story becomes the main antagonist in the later half of the story?

I mean some games do that in between different releases but what I had in mind is a character who's the main hero of the first half of the game but becomes the main villain in the latter half. The game would then go through a huge time skip where the game is played from a new hero's perspective.
Well, in Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow, if you consider getting to the bad end as a first half and then Julius Mode as a later half, I guess that works a bit like that.

There is also that one character from Live a Live, but I believe you play that character last before the Final Boss bit, so it wouldn't really be a first half unless I'm wrong.

Actually, there is a game that doesn't quite make you the main antagonist, but in the game Lost Magic, after the first half of the game, there comes a choice where you either give what the main antagonist wants or don't. Depending on the choice, not only does the love interest die, but the main character actually gets outright mind broken and controlled by the main antagonist for the later half and kills almost all of the other important characters, including their father.

Not exactly a true Main Protagonist into a Main Antagonist due to mind control, but it's pretty close. And it's pretty dark for a very cutesy game too.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Ah, don't think I ever mentioned that I got Gravity Falls: Lost Legends as a Christmas gift this year!

I decided to start reading the novel last night. Fantastic stuff already!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well, in Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow, if you consider getting to the bad end as a first half and then Julius Mode as a later half, I guess that works a bit like that.

There is also that one character from Live a Live, but I believe you play that character last before the Final Boss bit, so it wouldn't really be a first half unless I'm wrong.

Actually, there is a game that doesn't quite make you the main antagonist, but in the game Lost Magic, after the first half of the game, there comes a choice where you either give what the main antagonist wants or don't. Depending on the choice, not only does the love interest die, but the main character actually gets outright mind broken and controlled by the main antagonist for the later half and kills almost all of the other important characters, including their father.

Not exactly a true Main Protagonist into a Main Antagonist due to mind control, but it's pretty close. And it's pretty dark for a very cutesy game too.
Yeah KMDP KMDP told me about Live a Live but the two scenario's differ a bit from what I had in mind. I guess the trope isn't as common as I thought it'd be.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Chrono.

Is there a trope in gaming where the main protagonist of the story becomes the main antagonist in the later half of the story?.
Spoilers for a game like 3 people care about but

this happens in the first Baten Kaitos.

Well sort of

Last edited:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995

Trying to look up the trope for this but the best fit I could find was Protagonist Journey to Villain. Which I guess partially describes that scenario.
As far as I know, the one you've cited would be the most appropriate.

There aren't many games that do it, for the same reason most other mediums don't - because you spend so much one-on-one time with the villain, it requires two full story arcs to do right. Even when it is planned in advance, most of the time it makes more sense to tell two stories as...well, two stories.

Hence why the face-heel turn is more often saved for the sequel.

[EDIT]: If the initial hero gets on with the evilling rather quickly, you could perhaps consider it a case of a Decoy Protagonist.

However I maintain that Protagonist Journey to Villain is more appropriate if they're both given full story arcs and relatively equal screen time.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
As far as I know, the one you've cited would be the most appropriate.

There aren't many games that do it, for the same reason most other mediums don't - because you spend so much one-on-one time with the villain, it requires two full story arcs to do right. Even when it is planned in advance, most of the time it makes more sense to tell two stories as...well, two stories.

Hence why the face-heel turn is more often saved for the sequel.
I guess the story I had in mind is a rarity then. Because it's apart of said character's ascent as a hero only to have one massive fall from grace to cause him to despise humanity.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
I guess the story I had in mind is a rarity then. Because it's apart of said character's ascent as a hero only to have one massive fall from grace to cause him to despise humanity.
While I stand by my prior point generally, this may be something different specifically.

I'd peruse the Heel-Face Index and see what you think applies.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
While I stand by my prior point generally, this may be something different specifically.

I'd peruse the Heel-Face Index and see what you think applies.
Well I actually brought this up a while ago here and I concluded that Despair Event Horizon and Fallen Hero best describes the character.

The story, however would be more suited towards the Protag Journey to Villain that I mentioned before but not completely. Again, it's a trope that hasn't been done as much as I thought it would be which is surprising. I love stories where the main hero slowly becomes the villain.

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Almost a month after Tumblr got rid of its NSFW content, my anti-virus now says the site is risky. Wut?

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Ann’s pants look like they’re the same shade as her skin so it looks like she’s sitting pantless right in front of me. lol

Chrono.

So thanks to the boxart reveal, a huge MK11 email leak was just proven true.

Leak itself was more about the game's features though.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So thanks to the boxart reveal, a huge MK11 email leak was just proven true.

Leak itself was more about the game's features though.
Yeah it was the Gearas/Kronika leak I believe. And also the ****ty theme that's going to be played at the reveal unfortunately.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Morgana is getting annoying. Every time I wanna train or build something he’s all “go to bed”.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
So apparently the Nintendo Store in New York is hosting a private event on the 15th.
What could this possibly be?
tenor.gif

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
So apparently the Nintendo Store in New York is hosting a private event on the 15th.
What could this possibly be?
View attachment 186473
I'm ruling out a normal Nintendo Direct considering they recently revealed some big titles' release dates casually on social media.

Pokémon Direct maybe?

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Quit telling me to go to bed, Morgana! What’s the point of having the training or tool creating in the bedroom if I never can use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom