• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Kotaku is whining about racism in Smash. What's going on?
Here, brought the sauce.

Short version: Kotaku UK writer apparently mishears improvised lyrics as an ableist slur. Commenters note that to suggest the worst of a lyric that's fair odds as not a result of accent rather than the content comes off as incredibly racist against Japanese people. Flame war ensues.

I'm reserving any further comment because I have quite enough drama in my life without this. Just making sure folks are informed and moving on.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Here, brought the sauce.

Short version: Kotaku UK writer apparently mishears improvised lyrics as an ableist slur. Commenters note that to suggest the worst of a lyric that's fair odds as not a result of accent rather than the content comes off as incredibly racist against Japanese people. Flame war ensues.

I'm reserving any further comment because I have quite enough drama in my life without this. Just making sure folks are informed and moving on.
I laughed at such a foolish mistake honestly

D

Deleted member

The Kotaku article is oof worthy but I really hate people are using it as an excuse to do their whole "lol game journalists" **** again

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Here, brought the sauce.

Word. Its Kotaku after all. So I'm not surprised.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
every day im holding myself back more from not binging all my childhood MMOs that are still up

except MapleStory. They added so much **** to that game that it's grown a good 100 GB of data extra to play the damn game

Chrono.

every day im holding myself back more from not binging all my childhood MMOs that are still up

except MapleStory. They added so much **** to that game that it's grown a good 100 GB of data extra to play the damn game
Maplestory 2 tho.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Holy ****, who animated King Crimson vs Metallica?

Where did David get all this budget money?

WHY ARE THEY WASTING IT, PART 6 IS GONNA LOOK TRASH LIKE PART 4

Maplestory 2 tho.
like my little budget laptop can handle that rn

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Joker is super fun.
About how good Joker is, Joker is good, but not top tier in my opinion.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Oh hey look.

Apology published.

Thirty minutes before I said anything this morning.

Neat.

There's another mark on me in the useless column.

That's my cue to sleep.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
That's my cue to sleep.
But when the **** have I taken a cue to sleep?

I don't get it.

And I know what a DVD is, before I'm told wha-
DVD (an abbreviation of digital versatile disc) is a digital optical disc storage format invented and developed in 1995. The medium can store any kind of digital data and is widely used for software and other computer files as well as video programs watched using DVD players. DVDs offer higher storage capacity than compact discs while having the same dimensions.

Prerecorded DVDs are mass-produced using molding machines that physically stamp data onto the DVD. Such discs are a form of DVD-ROM because data can only be read and not written or erased. Blank recordable DVD discs (DVD-R and DVD+R) can be recorded once using a DVD recorder and then function as a DVD-ROM. Rewritable DVDs (DVD-RW, DVD+RW, and DVD-RAM) can be recorded and erased many times.

DVDs are used in DVD-Video consumer digital video format and in DVD-Audio consumer digital audio format as well as for authoring DVD discs written in a special AVCHD format to hold high definition material (often in conjunction with AVCHD format camcorders). DVDs containing other types of information may be referred to as DVD data discs.

You brought it on yourself.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Found an animation with a real nice artstyle on Youtube and Newgrounds.

Check it out.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
And besides the Avengers theme song and the Spider-Man theme song remix (the 2nd remix will be even better of course), there really wasn’t much memorable songs in the original department. Guardians had an amazing soundtrack though, while Ant-Man and Iron Man have really good theme songs...but Infinity War and Black Panther were on a whole different level
The only memorable ones are Black Panther, and Guardians of the Galaxy...

Villians on the other hand...
Hela was not a god villain, she's just pure evil...

Baron Zemo was pretty forgettable... like many villains in MCU...

Killmonger is the best villain in the MCU, period.

Kingpin? Ok... are you talking about the Spiderman: Into the Spider Verse Kingpin? Well, he was just okay.

Understandable, especially this kind of topic can cause drama easily here... base on my own experience.
Word. Its Kotaku after all. So I'm not surprised.
I mean, we can debate about censorship and some designs that may be questionable to some (Like how we used to debate on XC2... the good ol' days) and how some animes contents are questionable (Like Gobin Slayer and Rising of Shield Hero...)

But Kotaku's article is literally the straw that could broke the camel's back when it comes to gaming journalism, that being said I'm not entirely against gaming journalist, I only recommend websites like Mynintendonews and USgamer.
Black Panther time
Btw, Black Panther is one of my most favorite MCU movie, if you are talking about my most favorite Marvel movie that has to go to Spiderman: Into the Spider Verse.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
The only memorable ones are Black Panther, and Guardians of the Galaxy...

Hela was not a god villain, she's just pure evil...

Baron Zemo was pretty forgettable... like many villains in MCU...

Killmonger is the best villain in the MCU, period.

Kingpin? Ok... are you talking about the Spiderman: Into the Spider Verse Kingpin? Well, he was just okay.

Btw, Black Panther is one of my most favorite MCU movie, if you are talking about my most favorite Marvel movie that has to go to Spiderman: Into the Spider Verse.
I’d say Infinity War has a memorable soundtrack (and also the Avengers + Spider-Man theme songs...but those are just one song each)

Kingpin from the Netflix MCU show (cheating yes, but he deserves a whole lot of praise...amazing), and Baron will always be remembered as the guy who broke the Avengers right before a massive threat occurred

I would say Killmonger is the best villian aswell...but Thanos happened, though a definitely top 3 for me, with Vulture in there aswell. I notice how these villians are all bad yet have good intentions

Chrono.

Well, we got a data mining leak. But not for Smash.

It's for MK11.

These are your DLC characters excluding Shang:
- The Joker
- Fujin
- Nightwolf
- Sindel
- Spawn
- Terminator
- Ash Williams
- Sheeva

The Stoopid Unikorn The Stoopid Unikorn
Have we heard anything from version 3.0.0 so far, datamine wise?

And if so, is Joker's filename actually "Jack"?
Kinda hard cause the main guy who usually did the Smash datamining turned out to be a sexual deviant.

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
Well, we got a data mining leak. But not for Smash.

It's for MK11.

These are your DLC characters excluding Shang:
- The Joker
- Fujin
- Nightwolf
- Sindel
- Spawn
- Terminator
- Ash Williams
- Sheeva
9 characters instead of the 6? Another pass basically confirmed then?

No Smoke, big sad. Really the one guy I wanted the most out of anyone.

Fujin's great though, so is Nightwolf. A lot of guest characters though, feel like people are going to be pissy about that.

I REALLY want to see Joker and Terminator in this game.

Who's doing the MK datamines btw?

Last edited:

Chrono.

9 characters instead of the 6? Another pass basically confirmed then?

No Smoke, big sad. Really the one guy I wanted the most out of anyone.

Fujin's great though, so is Nightwolf. A lot of guest characters though, feel like people are going to be pissy about that.

I REALLY want to see Joker and Terminator in this game.

Who's doing the MK datamines btw?
Same with Smoke and also Mileena but I expected that.

I'm kinda neutral on the MK characters they chose, would've liked to see some 3D era characters. The guests are cool though.

Here's the source. https://www.resetera.com/threads/al...from-the-switch-version-open-spoilers.112533/

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Kinda hard cause the main guy who usually did the Smash datamining turned out to be a sexual deviant.
Yikes

On a different note, question to Persona experts- What's with the purple footstep effects on the Mementos stage?

Last edited:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Yikes

On a different note, question to Persona experts- What's with the purple footprint effects on the Mementos stage?
Expert is stretching it, but hey, I'm first.

A shallow pool of red-purple water everywhere on the ground is a visual cue for the Metaverse. Happens in every Metaverse-linked dungeon in the game, Mementos included, indoors and out.

It's obviously related to a perception of the distortion the Metaverse has on the real world, but exactly why it's that perception I've yet to find a satisfactory answer to. It may literally just be a visual cue for crossing the threshold, as seen here:

- but Atlus does enjoy their cornucopia of mythological, religious, and philosophical references throughout the Persona games. I'm sure it's some kind of stand-in, just not sure which yet. I'll comb interviews and get back with you.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Expert is stretching it, but hey, I'm first.

A shallow pool of red-purple water everywhere on the ground is a visual cue for the Metaverse. Happens in every Metaverse-linked dungeon in the game, Mementos included, indoors and out.

It's obviously related to a perception of the distortion the Metaverse has on the real world, but exactly why it's that perception I've yet to find a satisfactory answer to. It may literally just be a visual cue for crossing the threshold, as seen here:

- but Atlus does enjoy their cornucopia of mythological, religious, and philosophical references throughout the Persona games. I'm sure it's some kind of stand-in, just not sure which yet. I'll comb interviews and get back with you.
I'm 99% certain it's just because it looks cool.
The pink splashes aren't seen anywhere except within the gameplay, not in cutscenes animated or in-engine, and is never mentioned.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
There’s a stage based on an anime known as Konosuba and a character named Aqua...download it

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
I'm 99% certain it's just because it looks cool.
The pink splashes aren't seen anywhere except within the gameplay, not in cutscenes animated or in-engine, and is never mentioned.
Bout that.

Let's start by talking late, late, lategame.

The water is explicitly used as a cue for Mementos' encroachment on the real world as it transforms into the Qliphoth World. It's noticed - along with all the bone structures and other business - by both Sojiro (who due to the shot has some ambiguity as to whether he notices the pink-ish rain or the hellish architecture, but he's surrounded by the latter) and especially Mishima (who definitely notices both, and not only reacts to the water entering under the door, but is horrified to see it's already encroached the entire train's other side when he turns around).

Now as noted, it could just be a cue for Mementos' influence, or perhaps more specifically Yaldabaoth. But I still think there's a reason why they chose that, specifically.

The cutscenes are however incredibly inconsistent in its portrayal, pretty much from the word go. Take the first awakening inside Kamoshida's palace:

Not a drop.

And then during the escape from Kamoshida's palace:

The characters all splash during movement - possibly a result of the same rendering engine as used for normal gameplay - but interestingly, Kamoshida's shadow doesn't seem to disturb anything. Moreover, during the actual escape there's again not a drop there.

You could theoretically argue that the sudden cleanup is a side-effect of the distortion's lessened hold on the area as the palace crumbles (as suggested by Morgana's reversion to cat form). But I'm not so sure.

In any event it seems like it both was a great visual indicator but at the same time wasn't key enough to distinguish in every cutscene and for every character, unless there's some connection or explanation I'm missing.

The only thing I'm sure of is that there's some explanation for why they chose that - the rain, the water - specifically. Maybe it's supposed to represent the contents of the Holy Grail? Best theory I can put forward without word from Atlus.

[EDIT]: Also spoilers.

After re-combing through all the animated cutscenes, I located one more instance of the water.

Bet that's not what you remember this scene for, but yeah.

Right after Yaldabaoth's defeat, everything's flooded and time has stopped. Over the course of the next cutscene, the water shatters and breaks like glass, vanishing along with every other sign of Mementos and a cat.

Remember that as they entered the Qliphoth World for the first time after escaping the Velvet Room, people actually noticed the Phantom Thieves and reacted, and the world hadn't been frozen yet.

The water was still coming down at this point, though it resembled drops off of an object - perhaps the temple and its structures - rather than actual rain. It's reasonable to assume it kept working on flooding Tokyo while the Thieves were off whooping Yaldabaoth's ass.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I’d say Infinity War has a memorable soundtrack (and also the Avengers + Spider-Man theme songs...but those are just one song each)
Infinity War, sorry I disagree, while it was the big hit MCU movie last year, pretty much like past MCU movies... the soundtrack in the movie are generic... but don't get me wrong I know soundtracks are subjective but all I was saying is that I can't remember any soundtrack from the movie at all.

Black Panther's End Credit Music "All The Star" and Spiderman: Into the Spider verse's "Elevate" on the other hand, are all awesome soundtracks.
Baron will always be remembered as the guy who broke the Avengers right before a massive threat occurred
Even so, Baron is still a pretty forgettable villain because he lacks charisma compare to Killmonger and Thanos.
Another thing to share,
Anyone remember the former IGN Nintendo editor Filip? Neither do I, until I saw his recent "My Apology" video.
My only complaint on this video is pretty much like most how most people will react... why took so long and ruckus to post a sincere apology video? If he posted this video last year and replace that lousy apology video everyone would have gotten much better.
His first video I controversially stated that it wasn't the best but I was a bit sided on Filip's side when he called out Jason Scheier (Because he's an ignorant Kotaku editior) but I will also say he shouldn't have said that in an "Apology" video since he plagiarized someone else's work.
That being said, I... again, controversial statement here... glad that Filip mentions the gaming websites that he was exposed for plagiarizing their works, ESPECIALLY Bookstickgaming and did NOT apologize or mention Jason Scheirer from Kotaku (Not mentioning his name at least), no shots on Scheier as a person but man... he's the last video game journalist to get mentioned at all for this.

I have also stated that people should just ignore Filip if they couldn't forgive his plagirism since he already got fired by IGN and got bashed by many known Youtubers like Yongyea and Reviewtechusa, so I give props on his last statement that he doesn't seek for forgiveness.

As saying goes still... Better late than never even when it comes to apologizing. While I will neither condemn nor forgive his plagiarism, I wish good luck to him on his future plan...

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Infinity War, sorry I disagree, while it was the big hit MCU movie last year, pretty much like past MCU movies... the soundtrack in the movie are generic... but don't get me wrong I know soundtracks are subjective but all I was saying is that I can't remember any soundtrack from the movie at all.

Black Panther's End Credit Music "All The Star" and Spiderman: Into the Spider verse's "Elevate" on the other hand, are all awesome soundtracks.

Even so, Baron is still a pretty forgettable villain because he lacks charisma compare to Killmonger and Thanos.
A song I can remember from Infinity War were the ones for Loki’s and Gamora’s deaths...and the Guardians as usual, but we can agree to disagree

As for the Spider-Verse part...the only song that truly matters in the movie was obviously Spidey Bells (God Tier Music)

Baron tho...kinda couldn’t see him being charismatic since his whole family died (the one he’s responsible for making that is), and was too busy continuing to hold a grudge and vengeance combo on them Avengers

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Getting ready for work. Decided to use my camera as a mirror on the spot and decided to take a snap of my ugly mug.
20190420_102926.jpg
This is the guy behind the cash register at BK. I still can't believe I get customer praise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom