• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono.

Man that Rayman 3 commercial got me thinking... The early 00s had a lot of fake edgy/gritty marketing for games.

Like, can you imagine Nintendo making this sort of commercial for the Switch nowadays?

It doesn't even fit the console's aesthetic nor it's first party lineup for the most part. This Luigi's Mansion commercial is another that feels weird to look back on lol.

And then there's the infamous Majora's Mask commercial, although this one is just really well made. Plus the Hardy Boyz cameo in it.

The MM one did release when Y2K was a thing and people thought the world would end so that's a neat touch that kinda helped it tie into the game.

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Fair enough if that's your opinion
He's slightly better at drawing than his cartoons would have you believe. Slightly.

He still has some of the least appealing character designs I've ever seen, though.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Oh yeah, don't remember if I mentioned this but, I finally watched Justice League and... just... *sigh*

D

Deleted member

At first I kind of disliked the new Sun and Moon Ash design, but I am getting quite attached to it now...

D

Deleted member

I wasn't exactly expecting him to end up like this, although since he's not a showrunner I personally watched the work of as a kid I can't say any personal pedestal was broken. But he did seem to be more engaged than most with his fandom overall. Even drew some Nintendo characters in one video.

Judging by what I've seen over the past few days, apparently since then he's completely gone off the deep end.

...I mean, when someone like Nostalgia Critic or JonTron turns out to be a toxic waste pool, it kind of makes sense because no matter how nice of people they wanted to present themselves as they still made their living trashing other peoples' work. By default you kind of have to be a bit of a [DATA EXPUNGED] to do that. But industry doesn't restrict someone from being a terrible person either, and Hartman is far from the first person in recent memory from the animation industry to turn out to be awful.

...Although he does seem to be the first one to be awful for a reason other than sexually harassing every last woman at the workplace. Not sure if that's better or worse.
I kind of saw this coming. Even before I kept up with the drama, which I usually do. But he did always seem out of touch. One moment he'd post a random meme, next moment a bible passage. So the intent behind Oaxis doesn't really surprise me.

But it turns out people were who closer to the Danny Phantom fandom didn't like him much even before the Oaxis drama for various reasons. The primary being one being that he's a bit egoistical. I mean, the Oaxis kickstarter page shows that too. But even before that he has a habit of taking too much credit for his work. Much of what made Danny Phantom good for instance was done by other people. Such as the writing and even character designs.

Secondly is that he ran the Danny Phantom forums. And he seems to be a bit of homophobe. He banned same sex pairings on the forums for instance. I mean, there's some pretty bad fanart out there sure, but he outright banned same sex pairings.

Not nearly as bad as the Channel Awesome stuff though.(That I know of, if he harassed someone, I haven't heard about it.) It's more like common baby boomer issues. It's bizarre, he speaks of family values and such. But then when he tries to be hip of the kids, he often references the same stuff that he likely things his corrupting the kids. Wat

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
At first I kind of disliked the new Sun and Moon Ash design, but I am getting quite attached to it now...
okay, I was supposed to be asleep half an hour ago but this called me

speaking of the anime

I don't care what ANYONE says

Alain cheated during the Kalos League, Ash had that in the bag

I don't even watch the anime but that match was rigged.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
You know what I'm about to go on a bit of a rant on a bunch of subjects. We're going to start with the Smash community so buckle up.

Number 1 ~ The Smash Fans anomaly
So, as Smash For was in the speculation phase there was a bunch of outcry about the lack of Subspace from very early on. One thing that stuck with me was one little saying. A random user said "I don't know why people are pretending they liked subspace. I remember before this news came out people were hoping it would be gone. Everybody hates that thing and now everyone's pretending to love it because it's gone." I feel like this post, despite it only being about Subspace, captures a lot of what's wrong with the fanbase. People don't realize that between the release of Brawl and Wii U a whole new generation was growing up with Smash, and they weren't growing up with Melee, they weren't speculating about Brawl, no they were growing up with Brawl. The fanbase seems to have a strangely closed minded thinking when it comes to who is playing these games. Melee fans complain about the casuals of Brawl and Wii U like they can help it. They didn't grow up on Melee. They didn't put hours upon hours into the lab on Melee to try and get better. They were doing that to Brawl but all that was for naught because for some reason Melee fans have been insistent on throwing Brawl and Wii U fans under the bus by waving them off as players of inferior games. I know this might rub people the wrong way now that I've said it but, even as young as I am, Smash 64 was my very first Smash, then came Melee, then came Brawl and even though I have heavy nostalgia for 64 and Melee I have more memories, more preference for Brawl. I feel like the Smash community is in the weirdest state in gaming where there's Melee, then there's everything else. I can't blame Melee fans for preferring Melee but the amount of salt that comes along with their view of Brawl is unlike any series in gaming. It's weird for me to say that but it's true. Smash fans don't realize that they're just one Smash fan generation of many.
Number 2 ~ The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and a dis-congruent franchise
While I'm ranting about movies that had potential and threw it all out the window... Let's talk about The Amazing Spider-Man 2. Now, I first want to talk about The Amazing Spider-Man. I'm not a fan of it. At all. There's one thing I did notice about that movie though. It has a very specific, very unique tone that I applaud. Marc Webb did a fine job of directing and you could tell he brought his own sense of suburbia to the movie and based it around the city learning to accept Spider-Man. He didn't do it perfectly, and the villain is a ****ing joke, but it was good enough. A good blueprint to build off of for the sequel. So I wonder why in the hell they threw out that tone for the sequel? Watching the two movies back to back makes you feel like your watching two entirely different franchises. I'm not talking in the good way either, no Guardians is like Captain America but they're also totally different type deal here, the movies are just weirdly separate. They have the same characters but otherwise, as a sequel, it doesn't work. It especially doesn't work as a standalone either considering the world building they were trying to do. I mean Electro shows up for half the movie, gets imprisoned, then broken out, then Harrt shows up, makes Electro his slave, Electro fights Spidey, dies, then Green Goblin comes out, kills Gwen, loses, gets imprisoned, and that's it. Not to mention Spidey decides to take a hiatus because of Gwen and then randomly appears again because, oh ****, it's Rhyno. The Richard Parker scenes have no payoff because they didn't follow through with him, somehow, still being alive like they planned. Don't get me started on the wasted talent. Hans Zimmer's score for this movie is, no pun intended, amazing and having him team up with his "Magnificent Six" which featured Junkie XL and Pharrell Williams only for the movie to be a complete waste is disheartening. Don't get me wrong I'm glad it bombed, otherwise we wouldn't have Homecoming, but damn it if it didn't have potential. Sony is the only ones to blame too. They wanted a Cinematic Universe after the success of the Avengers but they wanted to do it in the most non-consumer-friendly way possible. Instead of teaming with Marvel they decided to destroy one of the most lucrative properties in the world.

Number 3 ~ The DC Hero Problem, Grounded

This one is going to be a bit of a stretch for most people to agree with and don't worry I totally understand if you disagree. Here's the thing, DC's heroes are just too good. And I don't mean in a story sense, I mean literally, with one exception but I'll get there. The DC characters are all larger than life and, yeah, that's what we want from Super Heroes, but the thing is in the stories it isn't about the heroes trials and tribulations to overcome a greater threat. It's almost never about "Oh I wonder what 'hero' is going to have to do to defeat this overwhelming villain AND lead a normal life!?" It's always "Oh I wonder what they'll come up with this time for Superman to go up against." There's hardly ever a time in the comics where a villain is presented as a genuine threat. Most of the time they're small obstacles that the hero has to pass. Superman has super strength, flight, heat vision, freeze breath, and a whole slew of other powers and his only true weaknesses are a rock and magic which he can sometimes just bypass somehow. He isn't grounded at all. Yeah, he's a cool guy but other than that he can just always win. Even when he dies, he wins. Let's use a more super human Marvel character for the sake of argument. Wolverine. Despite the fact that he is nearly totally invulnerable, he struggles and is just as vulnerable, if not more so, as the rest of the Marvel Universe emotionally speaking. His weakness isn't a rock or magic, it's caring about people, because as quoted from Logan "Bad **** happens to people I care about." He's one of the most tragic heroes in the Marvel Comics because every time he gets close to someone, he loses them. He's hurt more than ever each time he begins to love someone. Superman can literally save anyone he wants at any time and it takes extreme circumstances of incredible luck for him to lose someone he loves. This is how most DC heroes are too. Flash? He's faster than anything. He usually wins by just going faster. Wonder Woman? She's a goddess. She can save anyone she so chooses. The movie decided to prove me wrong here and did it really well. That surprised me. There is one outlier. One character that is more grounded than even most of Marvel's characters in DC. Batman. There's a reason he's the most popular. He's tragic, he's human, and above all he's vulnerable. It isn't about oh what can we throw at Batman now to make Batman seem cooler no, Batman has a very specific set of villains who uses their expertise and brains to get the drop on Batman which Batman learns from and improvises around. It's a game of cat and mouse and he's able to pull it out despite facing odds that are not in his favor but does so not by randomly breaking his limit but by outwitting other geniuses. This is why Batman's movies are so good. This is why he's held as the best DC character. He's grounded. He's realistic without being too normal. He's still larger than life but he's believable.

Number 4 ~ DCEU, the Wasted Potential Handbook

Ok, so despite what I said above I really do love DC and they can easily have some great movies to their name. The Richard Donner Superman Movies, The Tim Burton Batman Movies, The Dark Knight Trilogy, and Wonder Woman are all fantastic movies and there is one thing they all have in common. They're focused. They choose to magnify their characters and pick out what makes them relatable instead of setting up cool set pieces. It's funny to say but the main problem with the DCEU is the MCU. It's not that the MCU is ruining DC or even that they have better characters, although I think they do, it's that DC decided that playing catch up with the MCU had to happen immediately. Even though Man of Steel was mediocre, WB thought it was "good enough" and that's the main problem. Good enough is not good enough to start something as expansive and carefully planned as the MCU but they wanted to have it done so they rushed Zack Snyder into a sequel that had to have sequel stuff for Man of Steel, Batman, the rest of the Justice League introduced, and a story that had to have a reason for the two of them to fight. So instead of getting to know each individual character in their own movie and their own stories they're all thrown in and we're just expected to like them because, well, they're heroes. I don't blame Snyder. At all. It's not his fault that WB demanded they play catch up with Marvel and shoot out stuff despite it being half baked. The worst offender is Justice League. On a set befell by tragedy when Snyder's daughter took her own life they decided not to delay the movie, they decided to not let Snyder finish his vision, they decided to push ahead so that the producers and higher ups could keep... their bonuses. What we got was a cluster **** of a movie with differing visions and tones. The movie is a disaster and it's Warner Bros.'s fault. Alright, let's talk about Suicide Squad. I'm not going to deny that, hey, the movie didn't have the best character designs and they didn't have a clear vision of what they wanted. Here's the thing though. SS is a textbook example of Studio Interference. They were going to make the movie Dark, Brooding to fit in with the rest of the DCEU, and then Batman v Superman came out. So, they decided to flip it on its head and give it a more Guardians of the Galaxy, light-hearted feel. Oh but they didn't want to reshoot too much. Just a little. So they pieced together cuts of the movie that felt lighthearted into the brooding images they had already shot. Oh and let's not mention that the original cut was done by one editing studio and the theatrical was done by a ad editing studio. So, not only was WB unsure of what they wanted, but they also wanted to be cheap. They didn't want to put more money behind the movie than they had to. Now, let's talk about Wonder Woman. The shining light in all this darkness. What went right? Well, WB stayed the **** away. They told Patty Jenkins "OK here's your budget, see you in a couple years." This allowed Patty the space she need to make the movie she wanted and give it the love it deserved. It came together with HER vision and not some corporations. I think WB finally sees this and that's the reason that Shazam! and Aquaman look so damn good. I think we're finally entering a DC Renaissance after years of mistreatment by the studio. We'll see how they turn out but I think the DCEU is finally realizing it's potential and using it. Looks like Wonder Woman has spurred a new age of DC that will allow it's filmmakers to make something truly special. Thank god.

Welp, rant over. Feel free to read whichever you think you would be most interested in. It's a bit of a whiplash of different subjects but well, it's one in the morning so, y'know.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
XC1 progess is going fine. Since I have the N3DS version it's fun to spot the differences that I usually wouldn't expect to be changed for the port. Like, I never noticed they had to downgrade the water textures to be just a clear translucent solid blue instead of a fancy sparkly texture. It seemed so out of place it's funny as hell to me.

For some reason Riki is way overleveled in my party. I'm at Galahad Fortress as of typing this and while most of my party is barely at Level 51, Riki is at level 53 and almost getting to 54. I don't know why, he's just growing stronger by the minute.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Man if there was a NintenZone movie Jennifer Lawrence would portray me.

Also why the **** am I awake??

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think in order to complete a project I'm going to have to create an end goal time. Like, I've got to complete the project by this time, or break it into parts and have to complete each part by a specific time.

The only way I got animations done in school was because I had set dates I had to turn them in by

D

Deleted member

wow
maybe because its a meme poo poo movie meme'd cause its a meme poo poo series.
TBH, you can do worse than TTG in terms of animation.

Then again, I don't think the original TT cartoon was all that great. It was pretty silly most of the time. Then again, worst part of TTG is definitely reflecting the trends of today... So I guess that's one thing that sets it apart.

Edit: Ah ****, forgot he made fun of a voice actresses's suicide.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
You know what I'm about to go on a bit of a rant on a bunch of subjects. We're going to start with the Smash community so buckle up.

Number 1 ~ The Smash Fans anomaly
So, as Smash For was in the speculation phase there was a bunch of outcry about the lack of Subspace from very early on. One thing that stuck with me was one little saying. A random user said "I don't know why people are pretending they liked subspace. I remember before this news came out people were hoping it would be gone. Everybody hates that thing and now everyone's pretending to love it because it's gone." I feel like this post, despite it only being about Subspace, captures a lot of what's wrong with the fanbase. People don't realize that between the release of Brawl and Wii U a whole new generation was growing up with Smash, and they weren't growing up with Melee, they weren't speculating about Brawl, no they were growing up with Brawl. The fanbase seems to have a strangely closed minded thinking when it comes to who is playing these games. Melee fans complain about the casuals of Brawl and Wii U like they can help it. They didn't grow up on Melee. They didn't put hours upon hours into the lab on Melee to try and get better. They were doing that to Brawl but all that was for naught because for some reason Melee fans have been insistent on throwing Brawl and Wii U fans under the bus by waving them off as players of inferior games. I know this might rub people the wrong way now that I've said it but, even as young as I am, Smash 64 was my very first Smash, then came Melee, then came Brawl and even though I have heavy nostalgia for 64 and Melee I have more memories, more preference for Brawl. I feel like the Smash community is in the weirdest state in gaming where there's Melee, then there's everything else. I can't blame Melee fans for preferring Melee but the amount of salt that comes along with their view of Brawl is unlike any series in gaming. It's weird for me to say that but it's true. Smash fans don't realize that they're just one Smash fan generation of many.
Number 2 ~ The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and a dis-congruent franchise
While I'm ranting about movies that had potential and threw it all out the window... Let's talk about The Amazing Spider-Man 2. Now, I first want to talk about The Amazing Spider-Man. I'm not a fan of it. At all. There's one thing I did notice about that movie though. It has a very specific, very unique tone that I applaud. Marc Webb did a fine job of directing and you could tell he brought his own sense of suburbia to the movie and based it around the city learning to accept Spider-Man. He didn't do it perfectly, and the villain is a ****ing joke, but it was good enough. A good blueprint to build off of for the sequel. So I wonder why in the hell they threw out that tone for the sequel? Watching the two movies back to back makes you feel like your watching two entirely different franchises. I'm not talking in the good way either, no Guardians is like Captain America but they're also totally different type deal here, the movies are just weirdly separate. They have the same characters but otherwise, as a sequel, it doesn't work. It especially doesn't work as a standalone either considering the world building they were trying to do. I mean Electro shows up for half the movie, gets imprisoned, then broken out, then Harrt shows up, makes Electro his slave, Electro fights Spidey, dies, then Green Goblin comes out, kills Gwen, loses, gets imprisoned, and that's it. Not to mention Spidey decides to take a hiatus because of Gwen and then randomly appears again because, oh ****, it's Rhyno. The Richard Parker scenes have no payoff because they didn't follow through with him, somehow, still being alive like they planned. Don't get me started on the wasted talent. Hans Zimmer's score for this movie is, no pun intended, amazing and having him team up with his "Magnificent Six" which featured Junkie XL and Pharrell Williams only for the movie to be a complete waste is disheartening. Don't get me wrong I'm glad it bombed, otherwise we wouldn't have Homecoming, but damn it if it didn't have potential. Sony is the only ones to blame too. They wanted a Cinematic Universe after the success of the Avengers but they wanted to do it in the most non-consumer-friendly way possible. Instead of teaming with Marvel they decided to destroy one of the most lucrative properties in the world.

Number 3 ~ The DC Hero Problem, Grounded

This one is going to be a bit of a stretch for most people to agree with and don't worry I totally understand if you disagree. Here's the thing, DC's heroes are just too good. And I don't mean in a story sense, I mean literally, with one exception but I'll get there. The DC characters are all larger than life and, yeah, that's what we want from Super Heroes, but the thing is in the stories it isn't about the heroes trials and tribulations to overcome a greater threat. It's almost never about "Oh I wonder what 'hero' is going to have to do to defeat this overwhelming villain AND lead a normal life!?" It's always "Oh I wonder what they'll come up with this time for Superman to go up against." There's hardly ever a time in the comics where a villain is presented as a genuine threat. Most of the time they're small obstacles that the hero has to pass. Superman has super strength, flight, heat vision, freeze breath, and a whole slew of other powers and his only true weaknesses are a rock and magic which he can sometimes just bypass somehow. He isn't grounded at all. Yeah, he's a cool guy but other than that he can just always win. Even when he dies, he wins. Let's use a more super human Marvel character for the sake of argument. Wolverine. Despite the fact that he is nearly totally invulnerable, he struggles and is just as vulnerable, if not more so, as the rest of the Marvel Universe emotionally speaking. His weakness isn't a rock or magic, it's caring about people, because as quoted from Logan "Bad **** happens to people I care about." He's one of the most tragic heroes in the Marvel Comics because every time he gets close to someone, he loses them. He's hurt more than ever each time he begins to love someone. Superman can literally save anyone he wants at any time and it takes extreme circumstances of incredible luck for him to lose someone he loves. This is how most DC heroes are too. Flash? He's faster than anything. He usually wins by just going faster. Wonder Woman? She's a goddess. She can save anyone she so chooses. The movie decided to prove me wrong here and did it really well. That surprised me. There is one outlier. One character that is more grounded than even most of Marvel's characters in DC. Batman. There's a reason he's the most popular. He's tragic, he's human, and above all he's vulnerable. It isn't about oh what can we throw at Batman now to make Batman seem cooler no, Batman has a very specific set of villains who uses their expertise and brains to get the drop on Batman which Batman learns from and improvises around. It's a game of cat and mouse and he's able to pull it out despite facing odds that are not in his favor but does so not by randomly breaking his limit but by outwitting other geniuses. This is why Batman's movies are so good. This is why he's held as the best DC character. He's grounded. He's realistic without being too normal. He's still larger than life but he's believable.

Number 4 ~ DCEU, the Wasted Potential Handbook

Ok, so despite what I said above I really do love DC and they can easily have some great movies to their name. The Richard Donner Superman Movies, The Tim Burton Batman Movies, The Dark Knight Trilogy, and Wonder Woman are all fantastic movies and there is one thing they all have in common. They're focused. They choose to magnify their characters and pick out what makes them relatable instead of setting up cool set pieces. It's funny to say but the main problem with the DCEU is the MCU. It's not that the MCU is ruining DC or even that they have better characters, although I think they do, it's that DC decided that playing catch up with the MCU had to happen immediately. Even though Man of Steel was mediocre, WB thought it was "good enough" and that's the main problem. Good enough is not good enough to start something as expansive and carefully planned as the MCU but they wanted to have it done so they rushed Zack Snyder into a sequel that had to have sequel stuff for Man of Steel, Batman, the rest of the Justice League introduced, and a story that had to have a reason for the two of them to fight. So instead of getting to know each individual character in their own movie and their own stories they're all thrown in and we're just expected to like them because, well, they're heroes. I don't blame Snyder. At all. It's not his fault that WB demanded they play catch up with Marvel and shoot out stuff despite it being half baked. The worst offender is Justice League. On a set befell by tragedy when Snyder's daughter took her own life they decided not to delay the movie, they decided to not let Snyder finish his vision, they decided to push ahead so that the producers and higher ups could keep... their bonuses. What we got was a cluster **** of a movie with differing visions and tones. The movie is a disaster and it's Warner Bros.'s fault. Alright, let's talk about Suicide Squad. I'm not going to deny that, hey, the movie didn't have the best character designs and they didn't have a clear vision of what they wanted. Here's the thing though. SS is a textbook example of Studio Interference. They were going to make the movie Dark, Brooding to fit in with the rest of the DCEU, and then Batman v Superman came out. So, they decided to flip it on its head and give it a more Guardians of the Galaxy, light-hearted feel. Oh but they didn't want to reshoot too much. Just a little. So they pieced together cuts of the movie that felt lighthearted into the brooding images they had already shot. Oh and let's not mention that the original cut was done by one editing studio and the theatrical was done by a ad editing studio. So, not only was WB unsure of what they wanted, but they also wanted to be cheap. They didn't want to put more money behind the movie than they had to. Now, let's talk about Wonder Woman. The shining light in all this darkness. What went right? Well, WB stayed the **** away. They told Patty Jenkins "OK here's your budget, see you in a couple years." This allowed Patty the space she need to make the movie she wanted and give it the love it deserved. It came together with HER vision and not some corporations. I think WB finally sees this and that's the reason that Shazam! and Aquaman look so damn good. I think we're finally entering a DC Renaissance after years of mistreatment by the studio. We'll see how they turn out but I think the DCEU is finally realizing it's potential and using it. Looks like Wonder Woman has spurred a new age of DC that will allow it's filmmakers to make something truly special. Thank god.

Welp, rant over. Feel free to read whichever you think you would be most interested in. It's a bit of a whiplash of different subjects but well, it's one in the morning so, y'know.

Number 3

Marvel was a response to DC. Most of DC's characters date back to when comics were brand new, when they were meant as nothing more than power fantasies. It's why Superman's power is All The Powers. He was never meant to be taken seriously or be a grounded character, he was meant to be every kid's fantasy of being the ubermensch.

By the time Stan Lee and Jack Kirby entered the game, comics were a more "respected" medium (I put it in quotes because it was still just meant as disposable stories to entertain kids, but still. There was a greater emphasis to tell actually entertaining stories to those kids as opposed to just power fantasies).

Superman is, in essence, an outdated relic. The only things he's not the best at, he's only technically not the best, just to justify the existence of other characters. He's insanely fast, but just eeeever so slightly slower than the Flash. He's insanely smart, but just eeeeever so slightly dumber than Batman. It's stupid, and it's the reason his presence in the Justice League throws the entire team of step. His powerset is literally having everybody else's powers.

But Batman himself is not immune to this, despite being grounded. And it's because of the rest of the Gods as Heroes that occupy his universe. Batman is beyond Mary Sue levels of smart and strong, with athletic capability only technically not super-human. Because he has to be to not be rendered completely moot by his own universe.

Batman is a franchise that works best when its disconnected from the rest of the DC universe, and a lot of writers write his series with that in mind. Batman comics often feel like they don't fit within the greater DC universe unless its explicitly a crossover.

When the New 52 reboot happened, Batman was allowed to keep most of his stories canon when every other character was hard reset, with the only stories being rendered non-canon the ones that crossed over with those characters. It's incredibly messy, but speaks to the fact that DC is well aware of the issue they have. Batman is a great character when he's in Gotham dealing with street level crime, but he becomes a ridiculous parody of himself whenever he teams up with literal gods to fight space aliens.

Number 4
Which brings us to the DCCU.

I think it was worth trying to bring the Justice League to the big screen. But I also think, if DC wants anything even remotely approaching what Marvel has, they need to ditch literally everybody but Batman. The Batman franchise is big enough to have its own cinematic universe. He doesn't need Superman or Wonder Woman or The Flash, and bringing them into the fold only drags him down.

You can do exactly what the comics do. You've got the mainline Batman stories. But you've also got Nightwing stories, and Batwoman stories, and stories with more obscure but still excellent Bat Family characters like Zantanna or Spoiler or the Birds of Prey. And then, after a few solo films, you bring them all together for an "Avengers" style big team-up flick.

And then, if the foundation is in place, you can do what Marvel did and start introducing the weirder characters little by little. Martian Manhunter moonlights as a cop and has had a couple great crossovers with Batman. Starfire is an integral part of Grayson's character, and through her you can introduce the cosmic junk. That sort of thing.

But, of course, these characters don't have the name brand recognition of a Superman or a Wonder Woman, and DC doesn't have enough faith in their own IPs to put money into an untested name the way Marvel did.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Warchamp: "Okay, I restarted the processes; the site should be fine now"

Boards: "Not so fast"
Screenshot_20180722-022221.png

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
For those curious about Metroid, we got another interview on Samus Returns. This one is in Spanish and not fully translated, but we did get the general gist thanks to TheDinoman over at ResetERA:

• The lack of a 2D Metroid on DS was because the console lacked the technical specifcations that Sakamoto had in mind for a new game
  • There were lots of sound effects taken from the Prime games because Sakamoto felt they fit the game. Were not taken just for the sake of it.
  • Ridley showing up as a boss at the end was MercurySteam's idea
  • Sakamoto explains that 2D Metroid and Metroid Prime are essentially their own different sagas, with no direct link within their stories. When the Prime games started development, Sakamoto and the producers of the latter agreed to preserve the timelines together and have some sort of minimum consistency, but also be free to create the games they felt were appropriate and avoid doing anything that would coerce the other.
  • No plans for remakes of Super Metroid or Metroid Fusion
  • Comments regarding the secret 2d/10 Chozo Memory: "[it] is implying something, but I would like you all to try to find out what it is for now!"
  • Overall is proud to have worked with MercurySteam to create a well received Metroid game
Also, this is apparently Part 3 of a four part interview, so we may get more information about the game in the future.

The new Godzilla trailer was revealed today.

All of the returning classics have absolutely giant wingspans. King Ghidorah is especially huge.
Pretty good trailer and poster, King Ghidorah and Mothra especially are looking good so far and I can't wait to see them in action.

D

Deleted member

Man that Rayman 3 commercial got me thinking... The early 00s had a lot of fake edgy/gritty marketing for games.

Like, can you imagine Nintendo making this sort of commercial for the Switch nowadays?

It doesn't even fit the console's aesthetic nor it's first party lineup for the most part. This Luigi's Mansion commercial is another that feels weird to look back on lol.

And then there's the infamous Majora's Mask commercial, although this one is just really well made. Plus the Hardy Boyz cameo in it.

The MM one did release when Y2K was a thing and people thought the world would end so that's a neat touch that kinda helped it tie into the game.
This is why I jokingly call the GameCube "the dark ages." But hey, don't hardcore gamers want advertisements like that? Personally speaking, Wii U's marketing despite being bland (duh) had more life to it.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
If NintenZone was a movie, what would my role be?

I would be the main protagonist.
You'd be like Prompto in FFXV.

Seems annoying and cringey, but that's because you're just trying to be cool and fit in a crowd that isn't anything like you.

And you really don't bring any substance to the plot, but you still tagged along for the ride.

Do take in mind that it's not necessarily a bad thing though.

Apparently Source Gaming is a better source for information for some people than the official Smash website. I wrote something that was on the website and someone "correctly" me with something that was said in a Source Gaming video.
Shows how well they do their job at going back to the source, doesn't it? :V

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I think TTG has proven it can be good when the writers actually care. Some of the earliest episodes were actually written pretty well, with my favorite being You're Fired!

There was also one episode that was liked even by haters of the show. It got made into a four part special, which I thought was great.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I think TTG has proven it can be good when the writers actually care. Some of the earliest episodes were actually written pretty well, with my favorite being You're Fired!

There was also one episode that was liked even by haters of the show. It got made into a four part special, which I thought was great.
It also shows why the rest of the show isn't that great.

Then again, when CN pressures you into writing enough episodes to fill out their entire broadcast schedule, you'd stop caring too. :V

Last edited:

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Been writing the past few days.

Which is huge because I've spent years wanting to do so but could never bring myself to begin typing.

The catch is, it's only a form of practice. I've not actually come up with a story of my own yet.

But I kinda figured that if I started a writing exercise that maybe my mind will start creating.

So what I've been doing is picking up my current manga of interest, Platinum End, and asked myself: what would this be like if it was like a novel?

I opened a word document, opened up to the first few pages, and started typing away, trying to figure out how to convey what's happening in the panels without having any pictures.

I've not been matching the dialogue word for word, but thus far I've been following the story beats pretty faithfully for the first three chapters. At a certain point I'd like to start looking back at the source material less and less as I go and force my brain to chug along without any plagiarized fuel. It's not like, as a reader and fan of the series, I've not thought of ideas that I think would have been more enjoyable/logical.

Curious to see if this little exercise will work. At the very least I guess it can improve my writing itself. Haven't been going back and editing since the point is to be moving forward though.

I'd share it but the story can reach Rated: M levels so I am not entirely sure if dropping a link to something like that would be wise.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I remember back in Smash 4 speculation there was a "Smashboards Movie" (just someone's massive wall of text) with a massive amount of users being given roles. I was a reporter.

I can't remember if I survived or not but it was cool to see so many people be given such random roles.
Hey, at least Shazam looks pretty cool, lol.
I should check out the trailer for that. Not my favourite superhero or anything but I do at least find him interesting.

Also, happy to see Young Justice coming back. I mostly watched it since there was nothing else on but I did end up enjoying it and found myself invested in it. On a related note, "Where's Wally?" completely destroyed any emotional impact for the ending.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I remember back in Smash 4 speculation there was a "Smashboards Movie" (just someone's massive wall of text) with a massive amount of users being given roles. I was a reporter.

I can't remember if I survived or not but it was cool to see so many people be given such random roles.
Oh goddammit I missed all the interesting **** that happened on this site!!!

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Oh goddammit I missed all the interesting **** that happened on this site!!!
Well you got to be here for Ultimate's reveal.

Which included a playable Ridley reveal and not just a shadow.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

I have many questions, but I’ll only ask the most important one; when’s the sequel? :V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom