• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
This site has mostly been superseded as far as Smasher usage goes by sites like Reddit, Discord and Twitter. But I'm sure it'll stick around for some more time. I think forums are outdated personally, like something that belongs to 2003 specifically, but they can have their place in a way. You've got TL;DR (long, long) posts for example. That's something you can't really do on IM because of how fast the conversation goes.
I don't think they're outdated at all.

Reddit is good for your quick discussion fix or if you wanna see some cool pictures or videos. It also has the advantage of you only needing one account to interact with pretty much any community. But to do anything more expansive you have to link to external sites, which not only makes people less likely to read or view your content, but people can much more easily link to unsafe malware and the like. Also, the big issue I have with Reddit is the rampant abuse of the downvote button. The downvote button is supposed to be used to filter out useless posts that don't add to a discussion, or spam bots and blatantly toxic and offensive posts (like someone saying the "n" word or something to another poster). However, barely anybody uses it for that purpose. People just downvote the posts they disagree with. This encourages hive mind mentalities to an extreme, and perfectly valid opinions get buried just because they're not popular. Also, I find it very difficult to make anything resembling a friend or acquaintance on Reddit, but that may just be me. The site does downplay your personal identity, which can be either good or bad, but it's something forums don't really do.

Twitter has the obvious strict character limit, so right away it's not well-equipped for having proper discussions. It also has a terrible video player. Formatting is basically non-existent there too, since it's always fixed. It also has more limitations on the kind of media you can post. Twitter isn't a discussion medium, at least not by design. It's designed around exposure for yourself, or for a brand if it's a verified Twitter account.

Discord is pretty great and is actually the most valid alternative to traditional forums in my opinion, but being an IM service immediately gives it a different context. It's perfectly serviceable for holding lengthy discussions, but only on a smaller scale. Get into a gigantic Discord server and it's impossible for everyone to keep up a discussion because "SEVERAL PEOPLE ARE TYPING". In general, I always feel more of a pressure respond ASAP on Discord, because I get messages live.

Forums aren't completely real-time like Discord. They allow more verbose content and robust, custom formatting unlike Twitter. And they generally don't actively encourage hive minds and favour inherently popular and easy to digest content like Reddit. So I feel they more than have their place. Until virtual reality and/or holographic conference rooms become the standard, forums will always have a place.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Reddit is fine, but if it's the future of hardcore internet discussion in the future. Hard pass. It has a very ugly community and an equal ugly look.

Twitter is good for small things and keeping up with people, but if you're not someone people give a **** about like a celeb, leaker, streamer, etc, etc. Having a twitter is pretty much like that joke in Easy A. ''Roman had a Coke Zero? AGAIN?!"

Discord is probably the best shot at replacing the forum, but my ADHD can't handle being in like multiple discords and all of them firing on all cylinders at once. My brain goes kablooey very quickly on Discord.

Forums have the right pacing for me, they all look different for the most part, and you get rid of the ugly community that Reddit has 9 times out of 10. Everywhere you go there's gonna be problems, but my god, Reddit is just like...

Reddit is like the Jabba's Palace of the internet.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Parden me, being petty. I hope sony does Copy Nintendos switch design just so I can see the backlash of it happening
They'll be backlash, but at the same time? They'll be equally annoying gamers who think touching a Nintendo system is cooties and childish or they have the ''**** Nintendo" mentality for no real reason. They. Will. Eat. It. Up.

It'll be the greatest thing since slice bread to them.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Despite myself, having a real depressing morning.

Eh. Let's see if FEH can help me feel any bette-

Screenshot_20180522-090928-01.jpeg

1104-01.jpeg

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Parden me, being petty. I hope sony does Copy Nintendos switch design just so I can see the backlash of it happening
They're won't be a backlash because everyone and their mother wants that to happen.

They already had the guts of the Switch's concept with Remote Play between Vita and PS4. Not as ideal and fleshed out, but they were technically doing it before Nintendo, and people appreciated the feature if they happened to own both systems. So did SEGA with the SEGA Nomad.

If anything, Nintendo "copied" SEGA and Sony.

Personally, I think handheld/console hybrids are the next logical standard for console gaming. Because it's like, the one thing that a budget PC can't do better than consoles.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I can see it do as well as that time Sony copied the Wiimote.

They're won't be a backlash because everyone and their mother wants that to happen.

They already had the guts of the Switch's concept with Remote Play between Vita and PS4. Not as ideal and fleshed out, but they were technically doing it before Nintendo, and people appreciated the feature if they happened to own both systems. So did SEGA with the SEGA Nomad.

If anything, Nintendo "copied" SEGA and Sony.

Released in June 1994, one year before the Nomad. And yes, it's an official Nintendo accessory.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
>does the free summon on the TT banner
>Gets the one focus unit I didn't want.

... well, at least I can give Katarina a blade tome now.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Last edited:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Can't argue there.

Grew up with a console older than I am and it makes me appreciate the fossils :V
Ditto.

My first console was a hand-me-down Atari 7800.

Was mostly behind the times from then on until the N64/PS1, and from then to the Wii U, but grew up loving older games as a result.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Ditto.

My first console was a hand-me-down Atari 7800.

Was mostly behind the times from then on until the N64/PS1, and from then to the Wii U, but grew up loving older games as a result.
Mine was NES and SNES, the latter being in three different homes; mine, one of my aunt's and my grandparents'

SNES in particular gave me very fond memories of Super Mario World and the Donkey Kong Country trilogy.

Good old-school platformers are essentially what my childhood was lol

My aunt also has Mario Paint. Really fun game to **** around with.

Last edited:

Chrono.

TIL Pokemon Company can't use Kadabra in any Pokemon media that isn't the games over Uri Geller suing them.

Even in the TCG, Abra just warp evolves to Alakazam and it hasn't been seen in the anime since 2005.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ya know...

Why is reddit so bad?

I always try to start good discussions but I'm always downvoted barring one or two subs.

I'm not even slamming things. I'm trying to be positive.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Ya know...

Why is reddit so bad?

I always try to start good discussions but I'm always downvoted barring one or two subs.

Reddit is mediocre. Nuff said.

In the same tier as Gamefaqs in fact.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Mine was NES and SNES, the latter being in three different homes; mine, one of my aunt's and my grandparents'

SNES in particular gave me very fond memories of Super Mario World and the Donkey Kong Country trilogy.

Good old-school platformers are essentially what my childhood was lol

My aunt also has Mario Paint. Really fun game to **** around with.
Never had DKC or Mario Paint. Had a lot of oddball stuff for the old Ninty consoles, actually.

First NES was my uncle's, although being elementary age it was basically mine. Ultima 4 sticks out in my mind the most. Probably Ironsword and Legacy of the Wizard after that. I know we had Dragon Warrior, Wizardry, Pool of Radiance, and LoZ too. Forget the rest.

SNES had more normal stuff. Super Mario World, Starfox, Super Mario Kart. Earthbound was the big one I recall though. Had some other odds and ends like Dracula and Monopoly. And the Super Game Boy. Still have all those, but it's buried in a mountain of boxes.

Bought my own Genesis (with some aid probably, and near the end of its lifespan) and that's probably what I remember best. Got a bunch of Sonic games, a 6-pak, Shining Force, both Vectorman games, and...Skitchin.

I got by on Genesis and Game Boy while the rest of the world was going through Mario 64 and whatever the PS1 did early on. Caught up for OoT, then dropped off the non-handheld console map entirely after the 64/PS1 gen and went PC.

Oh god I'm rambling someone stop me.

Ya know...

Why is reddit so bad?

Dunno man.

I mostly lurk around in subreddits for games and don't talk much.

D

Deleted member

Discord is a terrible place for anything but memes. Conversations move so fast you can't actually have proper discussions, and I'm talking from experience from Aussie's server. I also think it's iverall pretty badly designed and more of an annoyance than anything but I'm sure that's an unpopular opinion.
One great big post and then off I vanish for a bit.

For Mipha?

From mountaintops.

Meh.

Still a half-rhyme.

I don't know what world you're living in but I'm gonna dis-a-****ing-gree.

I know I've been using my feathers on Dragon Snax merges, but every 20k feathers has always been a struggle and a hard-won milestone, and unless you just have them lying around by the hundreds of thousands that'll be the case. There's just not reliable sources of feathers in this game outside of fits and spurts.

Friends? Good luck. Sending home units? Takes over a hundred to get one 5*. Tempest Trials/Grand Conquest? Fits and spurts.

The only truly reliable way right now is farming GHBs, a recent development. And there's limitations on that too - what units you have on hand and built to solo maps (I know Like is The People's Farmer and all but you still gotta prep him), what units you have available to hero merit up (remember, it's a finite resource, expansive or not, and you'll exhaust four of your wellsprings for it on one 5*), and how much astoundingly mind-numbing time you're willing to invest.

It's a long, steady grind to get 20k feathers and it should never be treated as a light investment.

Preach.

View attachment 145469

Oh. Oh my.

I am suddenly immensely conflicted, in the best worst way.

Youtube peanut gallery videos.

Gotta make that ad money and smash that like and subscribe button somehow.

This looks like one of those hobbyist landscapes someone makes in their basement out of copious amounts of foam, fake moss, and paint.

Which is still pretty nice for a render, but sends my brain into uncanney valley territory.

Heh.

Should go hunt down this too:

Tell em it was the last four people you money matched.
There are a ****ton of modes that give out feathers and promoting one easily avaible unit is mucb easier and budget-friendly than any other option that isn't default
Ya know...

Why is reddit so bad?

I think it mostly depends on the specific sub.
I've gone to Grand Order and FEH, both of their main pages are just art, which are always nice, and memes, which just serve to clog the main page. You won't find actual discussions very often.

In comparison, the MHA sub outright bans the latter so the main page is a mix of art, theories and other discussions.

Size probably has a thing to do with it though.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Someone shared me this on Discord. It's both hilarious and sad...

Never had DKC or Mario Paint. Had a lot of oddball stuff for the old Ninty consoles, actually.

First NES was my uncle's, although being elementary age it was basically mine. Ultima 4 sticks out in my mind the most. Probably Ironsword and Legacy of the Wizard after that. I know we had Dragon Warrior, Wizardry, Pool of Radiance, and LoZ too. Forget the rest.

SNES had more normal stuff. Super Mario World, Starfox, Super Mario Kart. Earthbound was the big one I recall though. Had some other odds and ends like Dracula and Monopoly. And the Super Game Boy. Still have all those, but it's buried in a mountain of boxes.

Bought my own Genesis (with some aid probably, and near the end of its lifespan) and that's probably what I remember best. Got a bunch of Sonic games, a 6-pak, Shining Force, both Vectorman games, and...Skitchin.

I got by on Genesis and Game Boy while the rest of the world was going through Mario 64 and whatever the PS1 did early on. Caught up for OoT, then dropped off the non-handheld console map entirely after the 64/PS1 gen and went PC.

Oh god I'm rambling someone stop me.
No. Keep going. It confirms your age range. :troll:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Discord is a terrible place for anything but memes. Conversations move so fast you can't actually have proper discussions, and I'm talking from experience from Aussie's server. I also think it's iverall pretty badly designed and more of an annoyance than anything but I'm sure that's an unpopular opinion.
Idk, I don't think it's really and different in that regard from any other chat program in that regard, in my experience at least.

It's why I tend to prefer servers with smaller use bases since that remedies the issue somewhat.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
With reddit it very much depends on the sub you go on. Like, the Pokémon sub may as well be an arts and crafts sub because they'll down vote almost anything discussion-wise, from what I've seen. The Fire Emblem sub, meanwhile, is much more discussion based, which is why I enjoy it more than the dedicated Heroes sub. WritingPrompts is also great because there's some good stuff there. The Switch sub's toxic as hell oftentimes though.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Meh. I had like...three reasons for being mum on it.

First one was my ego. Second became irrelevant. Third was the humor.

Figured I'd tell it eventually. Just ended up being today.
I still feel sorry though...

It's in my Canadian blood to be overly apologetic, after all :V

Yes.

Yes that was a cantankerous meme bunny.

And also Rabbid Cranky.

I want to buy Kingdom Battle now.

That's not the same, that's playing handheld games on a TV, not console games on a handheld.
The concept is similar enough because in the end, it's still an early concept of the "pseudo-hybrid" console.

If anything, it just means Sega copied Nintendo, but tried using console games instead.

And considering their rivalry at the time, it wouldn't be surprising if that was the case.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Ya know...

Why is reddit so bad?

if you want goid subreddits, try out r/hmmm, r/ihadastroke, r/dontdeadopeninside and r/CrappyDesign, and r/People****ingDying

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I still feel sorry though...

It's in my Canadian blood to be overly apologetic, after all :V

I want to buy Kingdom Battle now.

The concept is similar enough because in the end, it's still an early concept of the "pseudo-hybrid" console.

If anything, it just means Sega copied Nintendo, but tried using console games instead.

And considering their rivalry at the time, it wouldn't be surprising if that was the case.
I hope you do realise that I used the term "copied" in quotations in my original post because I actually don't view it as anyone copying anybody. It's called "adapting to new standards".

Even if you do want to view it as one copying another, Super Game Boy and SEGA Nomad aren't the same thing at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom