• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
redfeatherraven redfeatherraven

I think you mostly missed my point.

When I say Pokémon hasn't really evolved much, I don't just mean the battle system. I mean...everything. Aside from the aesthetic stuff, the series hasn't changed much in it's 20 year run. It never needed to. It arguably still doesn't need to. Because it will always sell no matter what. The Pokémon brand is quite simply a pop culture juggernaut and has been since it's inception.

But as someone who used to love the series and basically was a super fan growing up (for reference, I was a hardcore Pokémon fan before I truly considered myself a hardcore Sonic fan, anyone who knows anything about me would probably find that a shock), I once did some reflection into why I just can't get into new Pokémon games. And while there are a few factors, the main thing for me is that 20 years later, Pokémon still feels like the same "my first RPG" experience it was for me when I played Pokémon Red. I know people disagree with that, and the last time I brought it up here, I basically got screamed at with people saying something to the effect of "POKÉMON IS MY FAVOURITE GAME AND I DON'T WANT IT TO CHANGE, HOW DARE YOU" . But it's just how I feel. I am aware of all of the "deeper" mechanics like IVs and the like, but even those feel superfluous (also I actively think IVs are a bad design choice if Pokémon intends to be a competitive game - and the games CLEARLY are not designed to be seriously competitive, they just hold tournaments for exposure and to keep people hyped about Pokémon in general).

So basically I still feel like I'm playing a primitive Game Boy game even on the 3DS. And that bothers me because there is so much more they could do with the main series games to evolve it.

My absolute dream Pokémon game would be an Action-RPG as there is so much you could do with the Pokémon characters there, but that's a pipe dream and likely wouldn't be a main series game or even developed by Game Freak if it happened. But even without that, they could do a lot more with say, the exploration aspect of Pokémon. They could literally keep the exact same battle system, but elevate the exploration to a new level, and I'd consider that a huge improvement alone and would probably buy whatever Pokémon game does that. But Pokémon hasn't done that in it's entire 20 year run. It has made the jump to 3D rather recently, but IMO it's superfluous because they really didn't use the 3D space. You still explore top-down caves and towns, you still just use walking, biking, surfing, and fly/teleport to get around. Why aren't the environments more varied in the way they are constructed instead of using the same maze cave design practices for the past 20 years? Why can't I ride on larger Pokémon whenever I want? Why can't I use their unique abilities to solve puzzles or using the more athletic Pokémon to do a little bit of platforming? On that note, why don't I have a jump button? Or hell, why don't they try an open world Pokémon game? That alone would be a really interesting change and would really help sell the idea that you, the player, as a Pokémon Trainer, are going on your very own unique journey. Also, I kinda want to actually see Pokémon roaming the wild rather than walking in the grass for 5 hours to make the Pokémon I want to appear. I want to have to do very specific things to get those rare Pokémon, like maybe deducing that this Pokémon shows up in this particular area, and that this Pokémon likes berries or something a whole lot. So I drop some berries to use as a lure, and then it shows up, I sneak up close enough, and get two of my Pokémon to surround it, forcing it into a battle where I attempt to catch it. Pokémon has so much crazy potential for exploration and enhancing the experience of catching 'mons, but we're still just walking up and down bushes, and walking around pretty static and tired cave and town environments with little variety in how we can explore them.

On the note of the battle system, there are still things they could try without deviating too much from what has been established. Another monster collecting game I really enjoyed recently, World of Final Fantasy, not only uses the ATB system of a Final Fantasy game (though it's optional to play that way), but also has the concept of "stacking", where smaller monsters sit on top of larger monsters, allowing them to offer each other stat boosts and to combine their HP and MP pools, while also effectively bundling their move pools into one party slot. Something like that would be really interesting with the vast array of Pokémon and Pokémon abilities that have already been established. Pokémon is also still pretty basic in terms of having customisation for your Pokémon. I'd love to give my Charizard some cool gear that looks snazzy but also provides a stat buff of some kind, like a metal helmet for his head that offers more Defense, as a basic example. Some degree of grid positioning mechanics (I'm not talking something like Fire Emblem, more like Mega Man: Battle Network and even the recent South Park: The Fractured But Whole) is a simple addition that would be easy to understand and would fit in with established mechanics, and this could pave the way for the environment to play a role in battle (something I've noticed the TV shows use a lot, but the games NEVER have toyed with for some reason).

Zelda had a similar problem to a lesser extent, yet here comes Breath of the Wild, shaking up the entire formula, and it is not just one of the best received Zelda games of all time, but one of the best received games in general. I sincerely believe Pokémon has a similar kind of potential, and while the franchise can do just fine as it always has because it's so good at selling toys and it's a juggernaut brand name and what not, I seriously want to see a truly ambitious Pokémon game that actually uses the power of modern hardware for more than just graphical and music updates.
Sorry, but you are wrong Pokemon has evolved, its just had a small changes in each game, and there is no need to shift it into a genre it was never meant to be, Pokemon is designed as a Turn based RPG, not to be a action RPG.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
What's up with people wanting jump buttons in games that don't have them?

Jumping is nice, yeah, but not every game needs it.
They don't need it, but you would be surprised with what adding a basic human action can do to add to the immersion of exploration in your game.

I think it's just one of those basic game mechanics that pretty much any game in any genre that involves controlling a character directly benefits from. FPS games like Call of Duty have always had jump buttons despite not being about exploration and ultimately not serving as much purpose in that genre (though there are exceptions like Overwatch and Mirror's Edge), so something like Pokémon would benefit from it since exploration actually matters in Pokémon.

Only times a game benefits directly from not having a jump button is if it's specifically designed around a character who can't jump and plays around with that idea, like Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. Or if you just don't have the button space on the controller, but Pokémon doesn't have that issue.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sonic also was in a car during Sonic Drift. He doesn't need to be on his feet for a racing game.

Though I do agree Sonic R did it better overall, but I think a car should be among some of them. Amy running works better now, since she didn't get the redesign till after R was released. Eggman, for instance, works best in his mech. It also depends how they want to make the game interesting.

(I loved Sonic R myself. Really fun game)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Sonic also was in a car during Sonic Drift. He doesn't need to be on his feet for a racing game.

Though I do agree Sonic R did it better overall, but I think a car should be among some of them. Amy running works better now, since she didn't get the redesign till after R was released. Eggman, for instance, works best in his mech. It also depends how they want to make the game interesting.

(I loved Sonic R myself. Really fun game)
It's not about whether or not he needs to be.

It's just, you know...he's Sonic. You can do more with a racing game that leaves him on his feet.

Basically I just want Rayman M but with Sonic and you go super fast, pls and thank ye.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's not about whether or not he needs to be.

It's just, you know...he's Sonic. You can do more with a racing game that leaves him on his feet.

Basically I just want Rayman M but with Sonic and you go super fast, pls and thank ye.
Nah, I get it. It's why I like Sonic R over the other racing games. It felt more unique and fun.

That said, I'm not all that bothered either way. *shrugs*

It'll be cool if we get a new racing game with him on his feet, though.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I like how I made my own nudists only club. It's like a safe haven for those that want to talk about their desires to be a naturist and think about events that they want to pursue, like me. 24 members, new record.

And oh ****, did someone say Lego Movie 2? I NEED to see it.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
You know what... I think it’s best I do this now and get it out:

I apologize for my worrywart habits at this point, @Coricus. If anything, and as I said, I only worry this much because of how much I care about you and your happiness. It’s not meant to be me sounding crazy or weird or anything like that. I know and understand your own pain... and I have relatable experiences to yours, which furthers my cause of wanting to stop toxic people from furthering frustrating or angering you any longer. You’re a wonderful person on here, and I would hate for you to continue being affected like this by people who think it’s funny to do so when it’s actually not. And again, I get it: I shouldn’t worry so much. But your happiness is one of my top priorities, hence why i’ve been making sure you’re feeling alright and happy because I want to make you feel you can express yourself without anything stopping you from doing so.

I... hope this wasn’t too much for you.

Last edited:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
ChikoLad ChikoLad

I saw a lot of interesting points raised - lot of things I like about it, honestly - and I'd like to discuss them more. I admit I'm not in a proper state to give it what it deserves. Passing out at the comp, stressed, etc. Don't like the mood 180 myself, but...here we are.

Will throw in the two cents I'm lucid enough to throw real fast, rain check the rest for later this evening.

I will say that I'm of the mind that some of the changes you proposed are the kind of radical things I'd expect TPC to explore in a spinoff. Inspiring from WoFF fits that most, I think, but extrapolating stacking to a broader sense of your team mons being able to help each other out has merit. I'm actually inclined to agree on a small grid-like system, seeing as we've already seen those kind of expansions with Double, Triple, Multi, and Rotation battles; shifting a few mons around on something like a 2x3 or 3x3 might be interesting.

I agree most especially that the exploration is criminally underutilized and thinking about environmental design as a 2D player moving in a 2D or 2.5D space needs to be re-evaluated. That's one area that I feel the Switch would be preferable to explore it in; depending on how many tricks they pull to make phenomenal set piece environments look good (off the top of my head I'm thinking places like Lumiose City, Altar of the Sunne/Moone, Aether Foundation - big, splashy locales with detailed environments that are loaded in massive chunks at once) and how many other tricks they pull to keep everything on a Route loaded, there might not be a lot of 3DS wiggle room on this. But the Switch has it and some of those stops could be readily pulled out.

A lot of options have whiffed in the past, but most of those tried to clone Pokemon in one or another fashion. Done right, at least some of this just might work.

Anyway. That's the two. More talking tonight, more sleeping momentarily.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I just want my Wooper.
Also maybe more Substitute merchandise. That would be great I will buy that.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Y'know, about that second Lego Movie... I dunno about it.

First one ended up having a very strong meta moment and a great lesson about growing up, which are what sold me about it being good.

But what will the sequel have?

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
On the note of exploration, that's something I will admit has gotten worse in recent generations rather then better, and I would like to see that improved. Gen 6 and 7, while having nice looking locales, were deceptionally linear and barely allowed the players to go out of their way and explore things around the paths they were set on. In general, you were meant to go from point A to B with little in-between, and aside from a couple areas like Lost Hotel in Kalos and Ten Carat Hill in Alola, there's not much reward for going out of your way to see things. Compare that to when you get the Surf HM in other games such as Hoenn or Unova, you actually get a fair chunk of the world opened up to you that you can play around with such as Route 106-109 and the Abandoned Ship for Hoenn, or Route 17/18 and Mistralton Cave for Unova, and each had rewards, small or large, that the player got for doing it such as the Scanner for the Ocean Museum sidequest, a Larvesta egg, or even a legendary like Cobalion. While limited, you do get opportunities to go on your own adventure and find things on your own, and there's not that many opportunities that I can recall that regions like Kalos and Alola really allow you to do.

Now I'm not sure if Kanto would be the games to fix these, but Kanto did have some elements of freedom that the player was allowed such as the decision to choose which route(s) to take to get to Fuchsia City or having areas like the Power Plant that you can go to for items and a legendary, and I'd like to see that type of thing expanded on. It doesn't have to be completely free like Skyrim or BotW, but even something small like different routes I feel would add to the adventure. Just because a game can be more story driven doesn't mean exploration has to be dead, just balance out the story beats with the side areas and you can still have a region that has a fun narrative and lore while also rewarding players for enjoying what it has to offer.

At the very least make it like HGSS and FRLG where later gen Pokemon would be available post game.
I hope so as well, but with FRLG pulling the same stunt (at least until post-game) I wouldn't be too surprised if we got hit by the same thing here.

At the very least, if they pull a FRLG, have a long post-game so that the non-Kanto Pokémon can get some of the limelight. It wouldn't be too interesting if the only options to use them in would be restricted to the battle facilities.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I like how I made my own nudists only club. It's like a safe haven for those that want to talk about their desires to be a naturist and think about events that they want to pursue, like me. 24 members, new record.

And oh ****, did someone say Lego Movie 2? I NEED to see it.
Wait what do you mean naturist has nothing to do with gardening
Dear Nintendo,

Let me be an animal person in the next animal crossing pls, tanks

With Love,
Me
Just wear a fursuit you coward
On the note of exploration, that's something I will admit has gotten worse in recent generations rather then better, and I would like to see that improved. Gen 6 and 7, while having nice looking locales, were deceptionally linear and barely allowed the players to go out of their way and explore things around the paths they were set on. In general, you were meant to go from point A to B with little in-between, and aside from a couple areas like Lost Hotel in Kalos and Ten Carat Hill in Alola, there's not much reward for going out of your way to see things. Compare that to when you get the Surf HM in other games such as Hoenn or Unova, you actually get a fair chunk of the world opened up to you that you can play around with such as Route 106-109 and the Abandoned Ship for Hoenn, or Route 17/18 and Mistralton Cave for Unova, and each had rewards, small or large, that the player got for doing it such as the Scanner for the Ocean Museum sidequest, a Larvesta egg, or even a legendary like Cobalion. While limited, you do get opportunities to go on your own adventure and find things on your own, and there's not that many opportunities that I can recall that regions like Kalos and Alola really allow you to do.

Now I'm not sure if Kanto would be the games to fix these, but Kanto did have some elements of freedom that the player was allowed such as the decision to choose which route(s) to take to get to Fuchsia City or having areas like the Power Plant that you can go to for items and a legendary, and I'd like to see that type of thing expanded on. It doesn't have to be completely free like Skyrim or BotW, but even something small like different routes I feel would add to the adventure. Just because a game can be more story driven doesn't mean exploration has to be dead, just balance out the story beats with the side areas and you can still have a region that has a fun narrative and lore while also rewarding players for enjoying what it has to offer.
Agreed, one of my favorite things from SS is always backtracking to see what mew areas I can explore and this has been declining ever since Gen 5.
I still prefer the way SM handles HMs but there was so much potential with what each Ride Pokemon could have unlocked.
But I guess it's also related to the lack of actual "dungeons", I mean, the areas where you fight the Tapus are just laughably boring and pointless.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm not super worked up over the Pokemon stuff. I like Gen 1, I don't mind them returning to it. It makes a lot of sense financially, more so than Gen 8. People play down the disparity between the first gen and the other gens at their own detriment tbh. But the thing is, Gen 8 is coming, if not next year, by 2020. Pokemon moves fast and takes few breaks. So the wait won't be that long.

I'm not big on Yellow itself though. Being able to get all the starters stymies a key aspect of the series imo. It made sense when Yellow was basically "Ash Version", but now it comes across as even more safe pandering. As does the plausible minor-scale incremental jump between the 3ds titles to this, even though the hardware is night and day. Though of that we still need to see more. But going with Yellow (aka the version for greedy cheaters)... again it makes sense financially.

As for Pikachu and Eevee? That's probably the least-surprising surprise out of any of this. Does seem very much like a route they'd take. But as long as you can swap out that Pokemon, and they aren't the only two that can follow you in the overworld, ehhh. Not a big deal. Though if Eevee can't evolve that'd be nonsense.

Oh and I don't believe only the original 151 will be available. It makes sense to return to Kanto, it doesn't make sense to outright ignore everything else. Even if it's only post-game. Pokemon GO did what they did because implementing that many Pokemon concurrently would be a huge ask, plus they'd need to keep engagement steady with new Pokemon. This game is a different story.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Tfw I ran out of Lances when I was Rank 19 in Grand Conquests :034:

I also tried out a Hard opponent in Arena for the first time.
Got my **** pushed by an Ares with an Azura.
This is fine.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Wait what do you mean naturist has nothing to do with gardening

Just wear a fursuit you coward
If I am wearing a fursuit, it will have to be a marsupial.

If not, forget about it. :troll:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Mike and Sully's VAs for Kingdom Hearts 3 have been confirmed. Carlos Alazraqui for Mike, and Christopher Swindle for Sulley.

http://kh13.com/news/voice-actors-f...-kingdom-hearts-iii-revealed-in-press-release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom