• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Obviously the sequel for Avengers: Disassembled will be: Lego Avengers: Reassemble

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Just beat Plague Knight

10/10 game.
Glad I went back and played more than just the first level because of Spectre Knight hype. Completely redeemed shovel knight for me as a game.

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
So apparently, we're getting 8 characters announced for Mahvel this week
Chun li, Strider, Chris Redfield, Rocket Racoon, Hawkeye, Thor, Hulk and Ultron
Pretty disappointed personally as there's only one newbie and MCU gave a bad impression
That is kind of a bummer that there's so many expected ones, but I can't help but go YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSS!!!!!!! At the last one

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
D

Deleted member

Just beat Plague Knight

10/10 game.
Glad I went back and played more than just the first level because of Spectre Knight hype. Completely redeemed shovel knight for me as a game.
>Implying SK needed redeemong in the first place
I don't want to have go do this, Zebei, please tell me it was just a bad choice of words

Also, if you don't have SoT yet, it releases tomorrow on the remaining platforms(3DS, PS4 and XONE), the others all have it already.

D

Deleted member

I didn't give the page before the previous one my blessing. It's for the best...

Last edited by a moderator:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
"Hey guys we know you love playing the same levels over and over to collect Toads because Toads are just the ****in' best, so here's some more useless statues you can spend hours grinding for".

-Someone at Nintendo, probably Miyamoto

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Welp, finished Breath of the Wild. Was a fun game, but I dunno, those 10/10s and Perfect experiences really don't resonate with me. It starts off amazing and it rises as you get to know the game more, but then once you've gotten a taste for everything, it sorta falls flat. Everything becomes monotonous, find a shrine here, beat some enemies there, climb this, fetch that; it's great fun the first few times, but it becomes "eh?" The story feels barebones, it doesn't even match the setting. 100 years ago Ganon laid waste to Hyrule, but everyone seems okay now, aside from Guardians and Hyrule castle being wrecked and the occasional purple sludge, there's really no sign that anything wrong happened. And even when Ganon pops back up, no one seems to really care. The Divine Beasts aren't even that major of a threat either. The Goron's issue is that it hurts business, I don't know what issue Ritos had, I think Gerudo's had an issue on their hand, I dunno. The only one that seemed like a major threat was the Zora, their issue threatened to flood all of Hyrule, and even then it's very "eh?" You'd think with the threat of total annihilation people would be setting up whatever they can to defend themselves, especially when they know Ganon will be coming back A lot of open world games have the issue of a totally urgent storyline in a world where you're free to not follow it, but with Breath of the Wild, there's no sense of urgency at all. It's just weird.

It's still a fun experience, but I just don't get the 10/10s.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
"Hey guys we know you love playing the same levels over and over to collect Toads because Toads are just the ****in' best, so here's some more useless statues you can spend hours grinding for".

-Someone at Nintendo, probably Miyamoto

Is Nintendo's way to say: "If you want a good Mario experience, play it on one of our consoles." I guess.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Eventide Island is pretty frikking hard to speedrun...

Came up with a decent route for the first orb, but then nothing goes right as I try to get the second orb...I need to give the island a good run around to figure out how things are laid out on the island, I'm thinking I'll need to practice stasis launches as well in order to get the third orb and to get to the shrine to finish the run...

Random thunderstorms make this especially hard since I want to use the cooking pot at times (cooking those mighty bananas!!) and there's another time I need a fire chu to burn some grass for an updraft but it won't spawn while it rains...

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
The Divine Beasts aren't even that major of a threat either. The Goron's issue is that it hurts business, I don't know what issue Ritos had, I think Gerudo's had an issue on their hand, I dunno.
The Ritos at Rito Village mention that Van Medoh prevents them from flying too high, because if they fly close to Van Medoh's range, the canons on the Divine Beast activate and shoot them down. Thus, the Ritos can't fly about freely like they usually do.

As for Van Naboris, Riju and some of the Gerudo mention that Van Naboris might eventually reach their town and threaten to destroy it with its electric powers.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
>Implying SK needed redeemong in the first place
I don't want to have go do this, Zebei, please tell me it was just a bad choice of words

Also, if you don't have SoT yet, it releases tomorrow on the remaining platforms(3DS, PS4 and XONE), the others all have it already.
Thanks for letting me know. I've been waiting for the 3DS version to come out.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So who else is picking up Puyo Puyo Tetris tomorrow?

I got enough money on my Nintendo eShop balance to buy the game right away.
I am.

Still wondering why Sega didn't bother making a commercial when more people would be aware of Puyo Puyo Tetris's existence that way. Word from mouth is a high risk and high reward factor that hardly works.

Don't want another Western flop like Puyo Pop Fever.

So Miku for Smash?

With her ghostly brother husband.
Careful, or you'll trigger the Miku fangirls of the one moment that ruined her character that made most of the fanbase hate the fifth Fatal Frame. :troll:

D

Deleted member

Honestly, Plague Knight's campaign is my least favorite so far. With Specter Knight's being my favorite. They're all fantastic though, but I'm anxious to see what King Knight has in store, I was dissapointed to hear it was King Knight at first, but I'm getting more and more optimistic

Chrono.

You didn't like Shovel Knight before?

Zebei, are you sick? You feeling okay?
To give my own two cents on the game...

It's a pretty good game, but falls flat in the second half and final levels. The levels are too long and rely on (usually) one gimmick for the whole stretch and it becomes tiring rather fast. This is taken farther in the castle stages where they just reuse multiple gimmicks from the other stages and don't feel like they bring a lot of new to the table, on top of them also being pretty long and having to endure a boss rush where losing sends you back to square one (all because of the currency = extra lives system that I'm also not totally crazy about).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I am.

Still wondering why Sega didn't bother making a commercial when more people would be aware of Puyo Puyo Tetris's existence that way. Word from mouth is a high risk and high reward factor that hardly works.

Don't want another Western flop like Puyo Pop Fever.

Careful, or you'll trigger the Miku fangirls of the one moment that ruined her character that made most of the fanbase hate the fifth Fatal Frame. :troll:
Because advertising via commercial costs a ton of money if the property is unproven. It's arguably even more risky than word of mouth if the property isn't already established. For every Fire Emblem Awakening there is a The Legendary Starfy.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
The Ritos at Rito Village mention that Van Medoh prevents them from flying too high, because if they fly close to Van Medoh's range, the canons on the Divine Beast activate and shoot them down. Thus, the Ritos can't fly about freely like they usually do.

As for Van Naboris, Riju and some of the Gerudo mention that Van Naboris might eventually reach their town and threaten to destroy it with its electric powers.
So, the Rito issue also isn't all that major? I'm not saying being shot out the sky is okay, but this isn't like, threatening all of Hyrule bad, this is just, don't fly by the giant mechanical bird. Gerudo's seem to have some actual trouble, but once again, it's not this giant, world ending threat. Which, I guess they don't need to be, but the fact that no one seems to really care about the issues irks me.

Me: "Everyone! Ganon is back!"
All of Hyrule: "Alright, cool, but what about my problems?"

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

It's a pretty good game, but falls flat in the second half and final levels. The levels are too long and rely on (usually) one gimmick for the whole stretch and it becomes tiring rather fast. This is taken farther in the castle stages where they just reuse multiple gimmicks from the other stages and don't feel like they bring a lot of new to the table, on top of them also being pretty long and having to endure a boss rush where losing sends you back to square one (all because of the currency = extra lives system that I'm also not totally crazy about).
Well yeah, but those aren't things Plague Knight's campaign fixes.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I liked Plague Knight so much that Shovel Knight seemed lackluster in comparison.

Spectre Knight just murdered Shovel Knight's campaign even more. Shovelry is bland, it's good to be bad.

D

Deleted member

You lost me when you said the levels are too long when they're pretty short if you don't die. Sure, they're not Megaman levels of short, but that's too short for my taste. I can excuse the levels being long compared to other games of the genre when there's only so many levels.

The castle levels are VERY short though, I don't know what you're talking about there. The second one is more so the one that reuses gimmicks, but it's more so to just test everything you've come across, which is a common thing to do near the end of a game.

Also, the boss rush is easy.(The bosses are in general unless you're playing as Plague Knight.) And currency doesn't equate to extra lives, currency is currency. But I agree that the system can be very annoying, especially since the more money you have, the more you lose.

D

Deleted member

Speaking of SK, I just got 100% item completion on SoT and beat the Tower Minigame.
having to endure a boss rush where losing sends you back to square one (all because of the currency = extra lives system that I'm also not totally crazy about).
I think you're missing the whole point of a Boss Rush
Besides, even if losing money can be pretty annoying, it's more of a formality in a boss rush where it can be easily recovered

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Welp, finished Breath of the Wild. Was a fun game, but I dunno, those 10/10s and Perfect experiences really don't resonate with me. It starts off amazing and it rises as you get to know the game more, but then once you've gotten a taste for everything, it sorta falls flat. Everything becomes monotonous, find a shrine here, beat some enemies there, climb this, fetch that; it's great fun the first few times, but it becomes "eh?" The story feels barebones, it doesn't even match the setting. 100 years ago Ganon laid waste to Hyrule, but everyone seems okay now, aside from Guardians and Hyrule castle being wrecked and the occasional purple sludge, there's really no sign that anything wrong happened. And even when Ganon pops back up, no one seems to really care. The Divine Beasts aren't even that major of a threat either. The Goron's issue is that it hurts business, I don't know what issue Ritos had, I think Gerudo's had an issue on their hand, I dunno. The only one that seemed like a major threat was the Zora, their issue threatened to flood all of Hyrule, and even then it's very "eh?" You'd think with the threat of total annihilation people would be setting up whatever they can to defend themselves, especially when they know Ganon will be coming back A lot of open world games have the issue of a totally urgent storyline in a world where you're free to not follow it, but with Breath of the Wild, there's no sense of urgency at all. It's just weird.

It's still a fun experience, but I just don't get the 10/10s.
There's a difference between a 10/10 and a perfect game, or else no game would ever get a 10/10. The game has it's flaws, but it's focus first and foremost is around exploration and the combination of game mechanics and art direction makes it the best it could reasonably be at that on a first try. Does it have room to improve? Sure. But the game does what it does do right VERY well and the places where it does have room to improve are the types of things a sequel could fix much more easily than if it were a problem with the engine itself.

I will say that it's not the type of game for someone who wants infinite replay value. I got a good 230+ hours out of it, but it did eventually wear me out. Being a single player experience, it can't really help but be finite in the amount you can get out of it, nor can one expect them to expend even more resources on a game that already took half a decade for the sake of diminishing returns trying to please everyone. At some point they just have to call it done and do any improvement in a sequel. To be honest, I didn't really even bother with enemy camps and I didn't heavily tackle shrines until I was about ready to be done. I simply went about the game exploring wherever I felt like to see what I could find, and from what I can tell that seems like the type of way most people who enjoyed themselves played it.

As for the plot, I find that the best parts of it aren't in the main storyline but in little breadcrumbs left around the game. Everything from diaries to sidequest resolution can tell you far more interesting things than the relatively simple plot proper, and even the layout of some areas can kind of tell it's own story. It's not super elaborate, but then. . .I'm not sure how much it was meant to be. At one point I did something and then suddenly kind of had it click in my head: it wasn't really that this game was some complicated epic. It was a fairy tale in video game form. That's probably far too simplistic for most gamers, but in the context I realized it the whole thing felt rather poetic.

To be honest, I do hope they fix the story and the shrine repetition and the enemy count and the lack of "proper dungeons" and everyone's mothers and whatever else people want so I no longer have to feel depressed hearing how disappointed everyone is in Breath of the Wild just like every other game I've played, but it's not like the developers could mind read people to know that was going to be a major problem while they were making it.

D

Deleted member

Speaking of SK, I just got 100% item completion on SoT and beat the Tower Minigame.
So did I. It took me a day to 100% SoT.(My little brother did it faster though since he was watching me play it and as a result knew the ins and out of the game.)

Horace's challenge was tough though, mostly because whenever Horace got close I'd panic and die. I did beat it though.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
A Mexican Channel did an interview with many voice actors, one of them dubs King Kai here, confirmed that the Latin American dub of Dragon Ball Super is on the works and they are expecting to work in a total of 250 episodes.

Dude.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I've only played through 2 levels of Specter of Torment so far but I think it might end up being my favorite campaign out of the 3.

I would have played more but for some reason my Wii U didn't download the update until like 11 PM and at that point I just wanted to sleep.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Shovel Knight is the most accessible. He's the one with the widest appeal and will have the longest lasting appeal. His game mechanics are built in such a way where you can play him like the most basic of NES platformers, not needing Relics if you're good enough, or you can use the Relics to spice up the gameplay. Anyone can pick up and play Shovel Knight.

Plague Knight was made for the speedrunner crowd. He has the most advanced tech going and just his overall playstyle is rather unorthodox, and he has level design that demands you get used to that. He's very fun but a lot of casual players won't take to him as well because he isn't so easy to pick up and play. People who are bad with aiming in particular will hate it.

Haven't played Specter Knight yet so no comment.

But clearly, the real winner is Custom Knight, where everything is just bonkers.

Put on adventure time for the first time in years

Marceline is a marshmallow
Finn has a pirate's cutlass and a robot arm.
Bubblegum is a mountain of candy and is vomiting candy
EDIT and magic man got replaced by Ice king's old girlfriend?

. . .what the hell did i miss

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This is taken farther in the castle stages where they just reuse multiple gimmicks from the other stages and don't feel like they bring a lot of new to the table
The point of the Tower of Fate levels is to serve as a Final Exam Level, applying what you've learned in the previous levels and having to change gears between them.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Oh yeah, there was an interview with Tomoya Ohtani (composer) regarding Sonic Forces.

https://sonicjpnews.tumblr.com/post/159954167641/20170425-tomoya-ohtanis-sound-column

Key points:
-Work on the game's main theme started rather early relative to the game's planned release window (February 23rd 2016 was when work on the theme and soundtrack in general started). It's almost finished and is just being tweaked to perfection right now.
-What we have heard of it so far is only a shortened version of it.
-The theme will be used differently to other main themes of other Sonic games. It will be used in a "very important scene" in the game. The ending piano phrase will also be used alone in another important part of the game.
-Takashi Iizuka wanted a song that sounded "serious, dramatic, and cool".

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Put on adventure time for the first time in years

Marceline is a marshmallow
Finn has a pirate's cutlass and a robot arm.
Bubblegum is a mountain of candy and is vomiting candy

. . .what the hell did i miss
As someone who doesn't follow the franchise, I vaguely heard that Finn lost his arm a while back. I haven't the faintest clue on the rest of it, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom