• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I know some people are interested in Somecallmejohnny, and since he just posted his review of my (former) second favourite game of all time being Twilight Princess...so I thought I'd share...

There's still a ton of stuff I miss from Twilight Princess that wasn't present in Breath of the Wild, such as
-running and slashing your sword (from time to time I keep forgetting this isn't in BotW while playing)
-advanced combat techniques
-enemy variety
-Midna
-Dungeon level designs and layout
-The Yetis
-Double Clawshot
etc...But it just goes to show that you shouldn't play all of your cards all at once, and it leaves a lot of room for improvement as you move forward...

I actually kind of want to play Twilight Princess again...
The "Skulltulaman" and bonking Link on the head with the Dominion Rod statues gags nearly made me spit out my milk all over my screen.

I really need to go back and finish TPHD. Break my curse of never finishing 3D Zelda games.

...Now that I mention it, that makes me fear Breath of the Wild when I eventually play it. :p

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
The "Skulltulaman" and bonking Link on the head with the Dominion Rod statues gags nearly made me spit out my milk all over my screen.

I really need to go back and finish TPHD. Break my curse of never finishing 3D Zelda games.

...Now that I mention it, that makes me fear Breath of the Wild when I eventually play it. :p
I broke my curse of not finishing Zelda games

Didn't finish Wind Waker (not gonna catch the whole triforce lol)
Didn't finish Twilight Princess (I need to git gud and beat Bear Ganon)
Didn't finish ALBW (3DS broke in Lorule Castle)

But I did finish BoTW

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Faith would be restored in humanity since the Elite Beat Agents won. Then again, I did say it would be extremely one sided since they are cool while their Japanese counterparts are only popular in Japan (Ouendan). If only the series would get a sequel.

Next up is the good old Gamecube and you wouldn't be surprise if most of the original IP's are underrated as heck. Hell, I can bet you won't recognize most off these blokes. Your choices are Chibi Robo, Doshin the Giant, Cubivore, and Giftpia's Pockle. Funny how half of these characters are from games designed from Skip Ltd.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Still have memories of that cake. Now I want to have some more in the morning.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Faith would be restored in humanity since the Elite Beat Agents won. Then again, I did say it would be extremely one sided since they are cool while their Japanese counterparts are only popular in Japan (Ouendan). If only the series would get a sequel.

Next up is the good old Gamecube and you wouldn't be surprise if most of the original IP's are underrated as heck. Hell, I can bet you won't recognize most off these blokes. Your choices are Chibi Robo, Doshin the Giant, Cubivore, and Giftpia's Pockle. Funny how half of these characters are from games designed from Skip Ltd.

Cubivore...I remember hearing about that game, but it wqs never released in Europe

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Cubivore...I remember hearing about that game, but it wqs never released in Europe
Strange. Atlus helped localize the game to the US after Nintendo refused to do it.

Don't see why they wouldn't do Europe given their SMT track record at the time.

Last edited:

Bestmand902

Smash Lord

HOLY ****, SOMEONE ELSE REMEMBERS CUBIVORE?!
I LOVED that game so, SO much as a kid! I NEEDS it in smash!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I broke my curse of not finishing Zelda games

Didn't finish Wind Waker (not gonna catch the whole triforce lol)
Didn't finish Twilight Princess (I need to git gud and beat Bear Ganon)
Didn't finish ALBW (3DS broke in Lorule Castle)

But I did finish BoTW
With me it hasn't been because of anything in the game at most points, but mostly due to external factors.

I originally played N64 OoT and MM through an emulator when I was younger, but since I got them for free like that, I didn't have much motivation to play them and I had other games on emulator that were far more replayable and accessible.

I originally played Wind Waker on a copy and GameCube system my brother borrowed from his friend, but we had to return them before I ever finished the game.

I owned a copy of Twilight Princess for the Wii, and was just past Arbiter's Grounds and was spending time side questing and hunting down Heart Pieces. However, one day, my little cousin started playing my Wii and Twilight Princess while I was at school and accidentally deleted my save file.

Skyward Sword I've yet to even pick up. Played it briefly at a friend's house though.

In OoT 3D, I got stuck on the Forest Temple and tbh I think it's beyond recovery. I'll probably start all over again if I'm ever to go back to the game.

MM 3D I haven't picked up yet.

WWHD I got stuck after clearing the Earth Temple (I think that's what it was called) with Medli. Tried finding the Korok kid and I FOUND where he is but I tried everything I could think of and couldn't get him to come out of the waterfall he's in.

TPHD I am actually able to go right to Hyrule Castle and finish the game. However, I wanted to 100% collect and do everything else first. And I've almost done just that...however, since I was doing a "Hero Mode + Ganondorf's Curse" playthrough and the Cave of Shadows is stupid because Wolf Link's combat is terrible, I hit a wall and never went back (I also want to have a full heart Wolf Link for BotW). Only other thing I have to do is the Cave of Ordeals as well.

I've played and even completed some of the 2D/classic style Zelda games though.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
HOLY ****, SOMEONE ELSE REMEMBERS CUBIVORE?!
I LOVED that game so, SO much as a kid! I NEEDS it in smash!
See, more proof of how underrated the new IP's on the Gamecube were.

Cubivore is far more underrated than the likes of Chibi Robo or Eternal Darkness.

I bet none of you remember Odama either.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Alright so.

I was following the conversation about this, and I looked it up, and now I would like to play it.

But, real talk.

Just on the name.

I kind of expected that google search to pull up some real weird stuff.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

The thing about Breath of the Wild is, as soon as you clear the plateau the game is as long as you need it to be...which is one thing that makes it so great...

that said, before playing BotW, Twilight Princess was the longest I've spent on a single file for a Zelda game being around 50 hours but I'm still working on BotW which is exceeding 200 hours at this point (soon to overtake Xenoblade X)...but that's mainly because I'm just enjoying the game so much....with Twilight Princess it was because I was going for completion and I just ended up running out of things to do after a while...

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
Implying that Smash hasn't already had animal abuse. Anthropomorphic foxes, demonic-looking turtles, and more. :p
Surprised by that logic how Tekken hasn't gotten **** from PETA on that... I mean, you can play a realistic looking panda bear, and a realistic looking grizzly bear. Not just that, but wouldn't Amaratsu (did I spell it right? Whatever...) fall under the same thing in Marvel vs. Capcom 3? Need I mention the fact that Gorilla Grodd is playable in Injustice 2?

There shouldn't be a problem with a Nintendog in my humble opinion. - Afro

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The thing about Breath of the Wild is, as soon as you clear the plateau the game is as long as you need it to be...which is one thing that makes it so great...
I know, but chances are I won't go straight to Ganon or anything like that. At the very least, I would do all of the main story related stuff on my first playthrough. In open world games like that though, I like to really explore them if I enjoy them. That's what Horizon: Zero Dawn is for me right now - I've barely done anything in the main story but still have over 25% completion.

And like I said, in the previous cases, it wasn't overall length that was an issue for me - it was either external factors or just hitting a wall.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So for the rest of you Star vs The Forces of Evil fans, we have some season three news. They showed off a sneak peek at the SvtFOE event at Gallery Nucleus, and...

They showed off the season three intro. That's right, season three gets a new intro.
People weren't allowed to record it and surprisingly the Internet seemed to listen for once, so here's what happened, basically.

- Marco and Star go through dimensions again, and Star is happy again. Marco is wearing a cape like his one in Running with Scissors.

- Tom is in the intro and shows off some demon powers, possibly hinting that his role might be expanded this season.

- Mina is back! This one surprised me a bit. I thought she'd be a one-off.

- One of the dimensions they travel through is Rhombulus'. While Rhombulus and the rest of the Council are absent from the intro, likely due to what happened last season, Eclipsa's crystal is shown.

- It shows off both Goblin Dogs and Kelly again, possibly meaning Kelly might get promoted to main cast/larger supporting cast.

- Some people are saying Janna was shown, some say Ponyhead was shown. How the **** they got these two confused, I don't know. But one of them is there.

- Like how in the last intro Star went from Mewni to Earth, here, Marco goes from Earth to Mewni using his dimensional scissors. This likely means most of season three takes place on Mewni, which is supported by the fact that the intro contains mostly other-dimensional characters.

- Jackie is supposedly nowhere in the intro and now half the fandom is having a collective panic attack.

- The intro ends with Star and Marco fighting a Toffee-possessed Ludo. Hype! Also Glossaryck is beside Toffee!Ludo in the intro, so the book is probably staying with Ludo for a while longer.

So yeah, that's pretty hype. Kind of a lot to take in.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I know, but chances are I won't go straight to Ganon or anything like that. At the very least, I would do all of the main story related stuff on my first playthrough. In open world games like that though, I like to really explore them if I enjoy them. That's what Horizon: Zero Dawn is for me right now - I've barely done anything in the main story but still have over 25% completion.

And like I said, in the previous cases, it wasn't overall length that was an issue for me - it was either external factors or just hitting a wall.
I can say that if you like exploration then BotW's going to eat up a lot of your time...there are distractions for your distractions...

I definitely took my time with the game (and made the decision to fight Ganon at around 140 hours after completing all of the shrines in the game)

Horizon: Zero Dawn is one thing I regret about not having a PS4 cuz I really wanted to play that game...though with how much time I put into Breath of the Wild it's probably a good thing I didn't since that's a lot of time that'd be split between two open-world games at once...

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
That strange Japanese war/pinball game?

I've seen it all over Nintendo website, but never bothered with it. It did get an award from IGN for the most Innovative Gamecube Title.
I remember reading about it in EGM but wasn't very interested with the game at the time, although now the game images are now stuck in my head.:laugh:

D

Deleted member

Surprised by that logic how Tekken hasn't gotten **** from PETA on that... I mean, you can play a realistic looking panda bear, and a realistic looking grizzly bear. Not just that, but wouldn't Amaratsu (did I spell it right? Whatever...) fall under the same thing in Marvel vs. Capcom 3? Need I mention the fact that Gorilla Grodd is playable in Injustice 2?

There shouldn't be a problem with a Nintendog in my humble opinion. - Afro
It isn't really what PETA has to say because no one really gives two ****s about PETA.

But logically, who in their right mind thinks having a photorealistic puppy as a fighter in Smash is a GOOD IDEA?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I can say that if you like exploration then BotW's going to eat up a lot of your time...there are distractions for your distractions...

I definitely took my time with the game (and made the decision to fight Ganon at around 140 hours after completing all of the shrines in the game)

Horizon: Zero Dawn is one thing I regret about not having a PS4 cuz I really wanted to play that game...though with how much time I put into Breath of the Wild it's probably a good thing I didn't since that's a lot of time that'd be split between two open-world games at once...
I was pretty much the reverse situation - I had just bought a PS4 Pro and 4KTV recently and Horizon takes full advantage of that, and I was really looking forward to the game regardless. While I actually bought BotW for Switch first since I found it discounted, I'm still waiting to actually buy the Switch itself. However, I also didn't have money for Horizon when it came out, but my brother bought it on PSN and since we linked our accounts to each other's PS4's, I was able to download it for free.

In general I highly recommend the game. I won't talk too much about it since I'm actually doing a write-up for the game for a site I'm working on for a course project, but it's really good, and while I haven't played BotW, from what I've seen, the two games have enough to make them feel distinct from one another and have different strengths and weaknesses compared to one another.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
So Samurai Jack just got even more amazing last night.

A good portion of it was a beautifully done nostalgia bomb while still advancing the story and characters.

So for the rest of you Star vs The Forces of Evil fans, we have some season three news. They showed off a sneak peek at the SvtFOE event at Gallery Nucleus, and...

They showed off the season three intro. That's right, season three gets a new intro.
People weren't allowed to record it and surprisingly the Internet seemed to listen for once, so here's what happened, basically.

- Marco and Star go through dimensions again, and Star is happy again. Marco is wearing a cape like his one in Running with Scissors.

- Tom is in the intro and shows off some demon powers, possibly hinting that his role might be expanded this season.

- One of the dimensions they travel through is Rhombulus'. While Rhombulus and the rest of the Council are absent from the intro, likely due to what happened last season, Eclipsa's crystal is shown.

- It shows off both Goblin Dogs and Kelly again, possibly meaning Kelly might get promoted to main cast/larger supporting cast.

- Some people are saying Janna was shown, some say Ponyhead was shown. How the **** they got these two confused, I don't know. But one of them is there.

- Like how in the last intro Star went from Mewni to Earth, here, Marco goes from Earth to Mewni using his dimensional scissors. This likely means most of season three takes place on Mewni, which is supported by the fact that the intro contains mostly other-dimensional characters.

- Jackie is supposedly nowhere in the intro and now half the fandom is having a collective panic attack.

- The intro ends with Star and Marco fighting a Toffee-possessed Ludo. Hype! Also Glossaryck is beside Toffee!Ludo in the intro, so the book is probably staying with Ludo for a while longer.

Man, I wish I had seen it....

I do kinda hope Toffee gets his original body or a new one back soon though. I'm not sure how long I can take him seriously when he's possessing a 2 ft. tall monster that's wearing a chip bag for clothes. :lol:

It'd be nice to see Janna, Ponyhead, Kelly and Tom become more recurring characters too. Most of them already appeared several times in S2 compared to S1, so I wouldn't be surprised if the roles were further expanded in this season.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion

Hype!!!!Hopefully we dont have to wait a whole year for it to come out

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I forgot to mention this earlier.

I think its interesting, feels like a market trap but at the same time this could set up for the others to leave and become captains. Maybe Ash travels with Kiwae and Mallow while Lana leaves to. Perhaps the group all splits at one point and rejoin Ash.

It be an interesting way to write the show if Ash is going to the other islands like what seems to happen. Maybe They''ll all leave and Hau can Join the cast and Ash with maybe Mallow. ALthough I doubt that, it be neat. I also kind of hope we see Gladion show up which might happen in the team rocket vs skull one, even if its just a hint towards him. We don't seem to have Lusamine next week sadly but that makes sense. The season's writing is definitely interesting, so I will be watching it develop.
Ash did say that he wanted to meet Tapu Lele again, so he'll probably visit the other islands at some point.

I haven't thought about Gladion showing up in the Team Rocket vs Team Skull episode, but it could happen. I personally think Plumeria might be more likely to appear. She could make a pretty good rivalry with Jessie. Gladion could be hinted at in the Team Rocket vs Team Skull episode, but I think his first appearance will likely be when he meets Ash. Ash will probably recognize him from Lillie's photograph, which could lead to some interesting interactions.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I've been watching a few speedruns for BotW, and I actually wanted to try speedrunning the Eventide sidequest...Would be relatively short but it sounds like it'd be fun to try a few attempts...

It'd be an early game run with only 4 hearts and no Champion abilities and the run would start when the text activates upon stepping on the island and end when I acquire the spirit orb from the shrine...

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Alright so.

I was following the conversation about this, and I looked it up, and now I would like to play it.

But, real talk.

Just on the name.

I kind of expected that google search to pull up some real weird stuff.
Oh my Christ.

Don't want to imagine the fanart either.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It isn't really what PETA has to say because no one really gives two ****s about PETA.

But logically, who in their right mind thinks having a photorealistic puppy as a fighter in Smash is a GOOD IDEA?
Another reason why Kawashima makes far more sense than the puppy.

So much **** taste.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
To be frank, most of the new IP's at the time for the DS were visual novels, rhythm games, and casual simulators.

The only characters that comes close to being fighter worthy are the Agents/Ouendan universe.

Then there's the Chosuju Mega MG cast, but Nintendo of America hates bringing giant robot games over.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I just heard the name "Kamille" for the first time today IRL

It was a girl :troll:
lol gundam
Clearly she's a trap, because Kamille is a man's name.

It's so much of a man's name, that you can't be given it at birth, you have to earn it after you grow up.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
More letters will be added to the thread title throughout the day.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
"Social Thread 5: Steeler Fortune Elation"

That's the first thing I could put together.

It's probably not right.

EDIT: No wait, there's four words after "Social Thread 5"

"Social Thread 5: Wheel of Fortune Edition"

Got it.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
As expected, Chibi Robo had won. But that's not saying much when his franchise lived long enough, before Zip Lash flopped recently (along with his own Amiibo) unlike the other three characters he was paired with. Shame the cute little bot will never get the love he deserves.

Rambling aside, I'll just finish things off with the Gamecube. Some are Western developed and one is a Japanese pinball game that fell off the radar quickly. Your choices are Alexander Roivas and Pious Augustus from Eternal Darkness, John Raimi from Geist (@NonSpecificGuy), and Yamanouchi Kagetora from Odama. A lot of these are fairly forgotten characters, so tread carefully.

Can't wait for the Wii. And no I've already covered the casual fodder. I know for a fact that there are other IP's that I've missed like Captain Rainbow.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
"Social Thread 5: Steeler Fortune Elation"

That's the first thing I could put together.

It's probably not right.

EDIT: No wait, there's four words after "Social Thread 5"

"Social Thread 5: Wheel of Fortune Edition"

Got it.
Congrats! Your prize is picking the new thread title. :p

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So let me get this straight, you play the role of a shogun that controls a giant magical pinball to bowl over armies and giant human heads with spider legs?

I don't know what stuff the Odama team was one when they made that game. And people say Rhythm Heaven is the weirdest Nintendo IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom