• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I just found out that Pet Shop is playable in Eyes of Heaven
And that blind guy with a water stand
And that magnet chick
And ****ing Speddwagon
And even ****ing NAZI SCIENCE ROBOT dude
holy **** I need this game
Also
You can finish opponents off by throwing them in the water tank in the Cairo stage
And Hol Horse's Heat Attack has J.Geil show up and him shooting the opponent's forehead, the video I saw even performed it on Avdol
Too soon, game, too soon
I bet you can crush opponents with the ceiling in that mansion from Part 2

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Leo is my favorite.

I even won a contest on IGN for a signed Leo figure based on my post about why I like Leo

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I just found out that Pet Shop is playable in Eyes of Heaven
And that blind guy with a water stand
And that magnet chick
And ****ing Speddwagon
And even ****ing NAZI SCIENCE ROBOT dude
holy **** I need this game
Also
You can finish opponents off by throwing them in the water tank in the Cairo stage
And Hol Horse's Heat Attack has J.Geil show up and him shooting the opponent's forehead, the video I saw even performed it on Avdol
Too soon, game, too soon
I bet you can crush opponents with the ceiling in that mansion from Part 2
The Hol Horse one was also in All Star Battle
BUT THEY DON'T HAVE GODDAMNED FOO FIGHTERS DAMMIT

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Most of Sonic's friends were good, so they should be playable in future games. Even Ow the Edge and Big the Derp deserves a second chance.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
My opinion on the matter: Yes. After all, it's been 8 years and Sonic's the only playable character in main games. We can do without **** like Charmy, but we can ALWAYS do with more Blaze and Omega
I agree. I personally enjoy having Tails and Knuckles as playable since they have pretty different attributes from Sonic. Blaze is also a really good character, so keeping her around would be fine.

Everyone else...eh...well, I like Shadow's character, but bringing him back as a playable character would feel a little redundant if they went the "Sonic/speed-based level" route and made him a "clone" character like in SA2. Every other character...IDC.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
More Rouge the Bat please. She needs to go treasure hunting with Knuckles again.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Listen.
The purpose for Sonic's friends as playable is simple.
Gameplay Variance.
SA1 is the best example of this, but even as it was done in SA2 and.... as sad as it is to say, Sonic 06.
Hell, look at the Sly Cooper games!
Sonic for traditional speed.
Tails honestly could just be a "easy mode" with slower speed but the shortcutting from flight.
Knuckles for exploration, maybe something beat-em-uppy.
Shadow for specific, objective-driven challenges in stages. Keeping Sonic's speed but instead of getting access to something akin to Wisps, he has variance of Chaos powers for a stronger sense of combat.
Rouge for Stealth-oriented exploration.
Omega or Eggman again for "Mechy" shootin stuff, like Gamma or the SA2 stages.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Sonic week has started on Source Gaming, it seems. This first article might be an interesting read to some.

http://sourcegaming.info/2016/07/17/should-sonic-have-friends/

This was a very good read.
I really hate the "Sonic's friends are ****ty" mentality some people have. Yes, how dare a game series expand it's universe. I even remember people complaining about the addition of NPCS. NPCS!

One thing I do disagree with this article on is with Chip. I thought he was a neat addition to Unleashed's story. He had a complete arc, and didn't overstay his welcome.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
This was a very good read.
I really hate the "Sonic's friends are ****ty" mentality some people have. Yes, how dare a game series expand it's universe. I even remember people complaining about the addition of NPCS. NPCS!

One thing I do disagree with this article on is with Chip. I thought he was a neat addition to Unleashed's story. He had a complete arc, and didn't overstay his welcome.
I honestly don't get the Chip hate either, and I agree with you. I think he's a decent character, and is underrated...tbh the whole story of Unleashed is underrated as well.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Listen.
The purpose for Sonic's friends as playable is simple.
Gameplay Variance.
SA1 is the best example of this, but even as it was done in SA2 and.... as sad as it is to say, Sonic 06.
Hell, look at the Sly Cooper games!
Sonic for traditional speed.
Tails honestly could just be a "easy mode" with slower speed but the shortcutting from flight.
Knuckles for exploration, maybe something beat-em-uppy.
Shadow for specific, objective-driven challenges in stages. Keeping Sonic's speed but instead of getting access to something akin to Wisps, he has variance of Chaos powers for a stronger sense of combat.
Rouge for Stealth-oriented exploration.
Omega or Eggman again for "Mechy" shootin stuff, like Gamma or the SA2 stages.
I'd rather have something else for Tails rather than easy-mode Sonic again. I'd like for him to get the pure platforming stages, while Sonic goes for the speed focused route and Knuckles goes for the beat em up-ish approach.

Like the Warehog but a bit more fluid.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
Unleashed is underrated
You need only say that really.
Unleashed as a whole is a great game and the Werehog is no where near as bad as people say. The main issue I have with the Werehog is the battle music interrupting great themes and being the same regardless of the area you're in.
A jazzy version for Empire City would have been nice for example.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
You need only say that really.
Unleashed as a whole is a great game and the Werehog is no where near as bad as people say. The main issue I have with the Werehog is the battle music interrupting great themes and being the same regardless of the area you're in.
A jazzy version for Empire City would have been nice for example.
I know right? Unleashed <3

Yeah, I didn't like the Werehog stages as much, but they're far from terrible. Besides, the day stages are fantastic! Cool Edge is one of my favorite Sonic levels of all time, but Skyscraper Scamper, Jungle Joyride, and of course: the famous Rooftop Run, are all up there as well. The level design of the day stages is really strong overall.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
My opinion:

Sonic can absolutely have friends, both playable and non-playable. But in both cases there are a few things to be kept in mind.

For playable characters, they should all play under a similar template as Sonic. That is, they shouldn't be in a giant mech or run really slow or anything like that. Basically they should all be like how Tails and Knuckles are in S3&K, or even how the different characters in Super Mario 3D World are - varying stats like run speed (nobody should be super slow but in S3&K for example, Knuckles ran slower than Sonic and also didn't jump as high) and they all have a unique ability or two, but still work under the same general template. There is actually a 3D Sonic fan-game called "Sonic World" that does a good job of this. IIRC it has 20+ playable characters and more get added, but everyone fits under the same general template. There can also be certain objects that only certain characters can pass, like walls that only Knuckles can break down, for example.

The second thing about making other characters playable, is that they shouldn't feel strictly better than Sonic. Sonic shouldn't be "basic" with no special ability of his own, and other characters just feel better than him. Mario has always had this flaw in his own series, and pretty much nobody picks Mario in games like 3D World if they can help it, because he has nothing special and other characters like Luigi and Rosalina feel strictly better than him. For one, Sonic should have the fastest top speed, with only characters like Shadow, Blaze, or Metal Sonic matching him. And then he needs a special ability. IMO, I think the parkour or Sonic Boost make the most sense for Sonic's special ability. Sonic Boost is self-explanatory, but it also makes the idea of having a Spin Dash redundant. I think the parkour makes sense for Sonic as it provides him with a way to get to higher areas like Tails and Knuckles, but it's more tricky, though could be faster than simply flying with Tails or climbing the wall with Knuckles, if Sonic hits the wall with a lot of momentum.

If they DO want to implement an alternate gameplay style though, then the game can't go Sonic '06 mode and have 10 different characters each with their own gameplay style. They have to be two distinctly robust, polished gameplay styles, which I feel Unleashed achieved for the most part with the Werehog being the alternate style. Say what you will about the Werehog, but regardless of whether or not you liked it, it was polished (it had it's flaws of course, but it was mostly a complete formula IMO). If they did, for example, a Sonic Unleashed 2, they could have the daytime stages be Sonic and Tails. Sonic can boost, Tails has a flight meter instead. Nighttime stages would be Werehog and Knuckles, and the Werehog has more wide attacks and the stretchy arms, but Knuckles has direct attacks and the glide for getting through platforming. So while we have four characters, we only have two, fleshed out gameplay styles with the extra character in both cases serving for a little bit of a different flavour.

As for non-playable friends, I will disagree with Chip being a bad example. Chip did not steal the spotlight from Sonic in Unleashed. He helped out by being the Omachao replacement for most of the game, and then at the end, his true purpose was revealed and he got a bit more active, but he still could not have fulfilled his purpose without Sonic. Sonic Unleashed admittedly has a very "empty" middle in terms of the core plot, so Chip barely plays into things unless you feed him food and what not. And Sonic teaches him so much about life in general, and likewise, Sonic ends up learning a bit more about himself. Sonic and Chip had a very symbiotic relationship in Unleashed which was a nice way to handle a non-playable main character to serve alongside Sonic.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I honestly don't get the Chip hate either, and I agree with you. I think he's a decent character, and is underrated...tbh the whole story of Unleashed is underrated as well.
Unleashed's story has the perfect tone for a Sonic game. It knows when to be serious, but it occasionally has some light-hearted moments. My only problem with the story is that while it has a strong beginning and end, the middle is rather weak.

Though Unleashed as a whole is really underrated. I'd love another Sonic game with Unleashed's scale again.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I'd love it if at the very least Tails came back.

Poor guy has been getting so much heat from the internet for "starting the problem," and here I am being that one person who messed with the options on an original Sonic 2 cartridge as a little kid just so I could play as solo Tails.

Heck, the argument people make is kind of broken anyway because the game everyone glorifies the most had 3 playable characters. More characters in and of themselves don't ruin Sonic at all, people are just scapegoating with insane troll logic because they feel like they need something to hate and make fun of.

Sonic 4 Episode 2 was the last time they went anywhere near Tails in a platformer and the conditions for controlling him directly were nearly undoable and absolutely absurd. He was essentially nothing more than a gimmick in that game. Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 gave you the courtesy of an option to solo select him and I can't easily forget that.

I'm not going to touch Boom because even before it went down the toilet I had a bad feeling about something that would tie in with a TV show adaption, but if a mainline game made Tails playable again I would definitely at least be curious.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm in the ultra minority for liking the Werehog more than Unleashed Day stages.
I somewhat agree with you - I think Unleashed daytime had more notable flaws than the Werehog's gameplay did.

Though that could be hindsight - Generations improved the controls so much and added the custom skills to give that gameplay style more depth.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I'd rather have something else for Tails rather than easy-mode Sonic again. I'd like for him to get the pure platforming stages, while Sonic goes for the speed focused route and Knuckles goes for the beat em up-ish approach.

Like the Warehog but a bit more fluid.
They were just examples, but I get what you mean.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I feel obliged to rank the Sonic Unleashed daytime stages...so why not? lol

1. Cool Edge- The one I've replayed the most by far. It's perfect...amazing design, fun music, a little challenging but not unfair...it's cool... :p
2. Jungle Joyride- Hard to get used to at first, but becomes much more fun as you get better at the game
3. Skyscraper Scamper- Jazz is my fav music genre, and the level design is really strong
4. Rooftop Run- Classic. Easy and fun to play

5. Dragon Road- Controls make this level harder, but I can still appreciate it
6. Savannah Citadel- Overall enjoyable

7. Windmill Isle- 1st levels are normally not that fun for me since they're the easiest
8. Arid Sands- Some parts of this level can get annoying
9. Eggmanland- .........Screw this stage

Anyway, I agree Fang should come back. He's a fun character and tragically too under the radar.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Fang is probably the classic Sonic character I want to see return the most.

Rob Paulsen would also be a great voice actor for him.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
...tbh I've always pictured Fang as having an Australian accent if he spoke. Is it just me, or can other people see Fang being Australian as well?

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
The Sonic Twitter mentioned Ray the Flying Squirrel, so maybe he could come back. Or maybe that was just a Sonic Twitter joke. Idk. Also if Rau did come back, I'd want to see maybe Todd Haberkorn voice him.

Should be Matt Mercer that voices him.:p
Matt Mercer is already Espio.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I was so caught up in the EVO shenanigans that I forgot to wish @Zoroarking a happy birthday.

So, Happy Birthday pal!
Here's a sheep!
:happysheep:

Last edited:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
You can voice multiple characters in the same thing. Not exactly hard to do especially when one's a Ninja and the other is a Cowboy.
Yeah I know. Travis Willingham is Knuckles, Storm, and Zavok.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Say. . .with the whole "like brothers" thing Nintendo has been saying about their handheld and console and what people have been speculating about it. . .

Do you guys think that could mean we could get one single version of Smash 5 that just gets ported to handheld?

What would that mean if it did?

Could it mean more stages than ever due to the fact that they wouldn't be making stages for two versions? Would it mean the trophies of important characters would actually be present consistently since they wouldn't be favoring handheld trophies for the handheld version and console trophies for the console? Heck, would it mean we would get a subtitle like Melee and Brawl again since one version across two systems couldn't have it's identity defined by the name of the system?

. . .Could we get crossplay in this hypothetical scenario?

And on the other hand, would there be any potential limitations? One would assume the next handheld would at least be up to Gamecube levels and thus able to handle Ice Climbers, but would anything potentially be an issue? Perhaps Eight Player Smash might not be ported over to the handheld copies or would end up being removed.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Say. . .with the whole "like brothers" thing Nintendo has been saying about their handheld and console and what people have been speculating about it. . .

Do you guys think that could mean we could get one single version of Smash 5 that just gets ported to handheld?

What would that mean if it did?

Could it mean more stages than ever due to the fact that they wouldn't be making stages for two versions? Would it mean the trophies of important characters would actually be present consistently since they wouldn't be favoring handheld trophies for the handheld version and console trophies for the console? Heck, would it mean we would get a subtitle like Melee and Brawl again since one version across two systems couldn't have it's identity defined by the name of the system?

. . .Could we get crossplay in this hypothetical scenario?
That would be great.

Tho ATM the main thing I'm looking forward to regarding Smash5 is seeing 3DS stages remade in HD. (thounfortunatly it won't be a total overhaul like MarioKart 8 did with it's retro stages.......so it would just be a higher res. :/)

When Smash 5 speculation properly starts when they reveal it's being worked on or something, I'll be excited for characters.

D

Deleted member

It's good to know that im not the only one who liked Sonic Unleashed.

I remember playing that game with my Cousin Lucas. I played the Daytime stages, while he played the Nighttime stages.

Also has anybody noticed that the idea of the Werehog stretching his arms may be a callback to the Rabbit character (which evolved into Ristar)?

Also i've been playing Kirby's Dream Land 2 and it's really fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom