• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Grubbin is more durable than he looks. Kept him up front but switched him out because I didn't think he could take a hit (To get EXP) but he's actually doing good

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
what games did you sale?
Some PS4 games like Final Fantasy IV-X I think it was.
A resident evil,
and I can't remember the other ones.
I also sold Pokemon X and Wooly World. At my gamestop any game put towards sun and moon gained bonus trade in value, plus I am a pro member so it helped a lot.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So in a stunning turn of events I may actually get Moon today.

Didn't think I had enough money at the moment, but I forgot trade-ins existed. Goodbye, Pokémon Y, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. Your sacrifices will not be in vain.

Hopefully they still have some left in stock.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902

That's a decently ****ty thing of Nintendo to do, though. Lots will be mad now, lots will be mad January. Even though Stars should be quite the game.

I'm not upset, as I heard this prior to picking up S/M and will now probably just wait for Stars.
What about this move is ****ty though?

Their new console has a handheld feature and there's a huge demand for a Pokemon game with high graphical fidelity. It just makes sense.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Their new console has a handheld feature and there's a huge demand for a Pokemon game with high graphical fidelity. It just makes sense.
Announcing and releasing a new version of a game (in all likelihood) less than a year later than the original is kind of a **** move. Not everyone buys more than one version per gen.

Obv tho it makes a bunch of sense business-wise, and will do well. I'm buying it over S/M.

D

Deleted member

Pokemon Moon is the game that gives you the Brick Break TM in the Trial full of Normal/Dark Pokemon with wild Crabrawler outside of it
Not only is BB a ridiculously good TM for this early in the gane but it's even better for a Pokemon with a high Atk stat and STAB
What were they thinking?

D

Deleted member

The newest Pokemon Generations episode has been released, and oh man, we're in Unova boys!

UNOVA TIME !

I love how well this rise in BW1's plot has been retranscribed, and the Gym Leader's Final Pokémon was awesome.
The only thing that made me cringe was how the stairs appeared. Kinda lame in comparison to the original scene in BW1.

Also:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Announcing and releasing a new version of a game (in all likelihood) less than a year later than the original is kind of a **** move. Not everyone buys more than one version per gen.

Obv tho it makes a bunch of sense business-wise, and will do well. I'm buying it over S/M.
Well, yeah of course not everyone buys more than one version per gen. This is for those who do, or missed the previous versions. I don't know if I'd call it ****ty, that's just how new things work.

D

Deleted member

WHO THOUGHT SOS BATTLES WERE A GOOD IDEA THESE ZUBATS JUST WON'T STOP CALLING FOR HELP I JUST WANT TO CATCH ONE OF THEM AND GO HOME GOD****INGDAMNIT

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well, yeah of course not everyone buys more than one version per gen. This is for those who do, or missed the previous versions. I don't know if I'd call it ****ty, that's just how new things work.
I'm saying it's a ****ty move on the basis of it causing ire among people who bought the game less than a year before a more definitive port gets announced and comes out. I think it's a ****ty move when other companies do that too. Stars can be released in excess of a year later and still appeal to those who buy multiple versions or missed the previous while not making some feel as burned about it.

But it makes perfect sense business-wise, and I'm not begrudging Nintendo for it. But I'm not Nintendo, I'm a consumer. I feel for the consumer. It's also a **** move to relegate the Wii U version of BotW to pretty much an afterthought, but again, it makes sense business-wise.

And that's coming from someone who won't feel burned about it, because now I know to skip S/M.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

I can understand people being mad about wasting money on an inferior version of the game, especially since some people are doing trade-ins with a ton of high quality games just to get Sun/Moon.

That said, in light of the existences of Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, and to a lesser extent B2W2, the points you made do make it a bit of a step up from what has been done in the past. I'm just crossing my fingers the new features they roll out in it will be good.

On a note unrelated to this, I saw a NeoGAF post claiming that this having assets touched up means the Pokemon models weren't future proofed and thus had no excuse to run badly on the 3DS, when I'm pretty sure that's not the case at all. The Pokemon models are in fact future proofed and 1080p, it's that the entire rest of the game's assets pretty blatantly aren't. It's just that in development they displayed the proper 1080p model that they made on the screen and then simply had it display as lower definition on Sun and Moon.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Besides, Stars will be a year later

Ain't like it'll ruin the game. Plus I'm gonna double down on Smash and probably FE on Switch so I might as well do it for Pokeymans if it means a game that looks good

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
UNOVA TIME !

I love how well this rise in BW1's plot has been retranscribed, and the Gym Leader's Final Pokémon was awesome.
The only thing that made me cringe was how the stairs appeared. Kinda lame in comparison to the original scene in BW1.

Also:

Is that twerking I see? O_o

Also, have an epilepsy warning.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Besides, Stars will be a year later

Ain't like it'll ruin the game. Plus I'm gonna double down on Smash and probably FE on Switch so I might as well do it for Pokeymans if it means a game that looks good
Yeah, I'm probably doubling down on Splatoon and Smash Bros. . .er, kind of tripling on Smash. . . so I'm at least willing to consider this as well.

There've been third versions out about a year later before. People are just freaking out about this more because the other "ports" have already got them stressed and/or they thought they'd buried third versions for good at this point and were unpleasantly surprised.

D

Deleted member

:169: would like to have a word with you.
Or they just want to catch every Pokemon they run into and don't have like I do.
I'm trying to complete the entire Pokedex as I play
I catch everything new I see and if I'm missing anything by the time I have to go to the next island, I hunt them down
Well, yeah I figured those things, my implications were more so on the lines of why it's a struggle when they're usually so common. But I'm guessing they're not as common in this case.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
The newest Pokemon Generations episode has been released, and oh man, we're in Unova boys!

Review time!

Another episode that focuses on expanding on events that we have seen, this one was pretty decent. The Gym Leaders coming in to stop the sages was one of my favorite moments in the franchise and this episode didn't disappoint in showcasing the event. All of the Gym Leaders and their Pokemon were portrayed well here, and the sages as mentioned before are portrayed as fittingly cult-like in their speeches and mannerisms, which is enhanced by them rising with the castle. I did raise an eyebrow at the "Unova shall be ours" line as most (if not all) of them subscribed to N's beliefs rather then trying to control the region, but I guess I could let that slide since they don't delve into what he meant by it.

The MC being ignored again is pretty concerning though, I do understand that the focus is on the Gym Leaders and that's why I'm not too fussed about it for this episode, but I'm getting a bit worried on how they'll handle N if they gloss over them considering how important they are to his character.

And fittingly enough, I just finished my thoughts on White 2 while taking a break from Sun.

At first, I wasn't sure about replaying this game as it lacks some of the things I enjoyed about White, but once I met Colress the game started to get better. It's still a fun and enjoyable game, and while it's story is definitely weaker then BW's (and maybe Sun/Moon's), I still had fun playing through it and I'm glad that they made a sequel to those games instead of another third version as I think the region was for the better for it. You get a lot more out of the characters and region by advancing their stories here, and I hope that future games do draw more from that idea since there's a lot of potential in exploring it in the future.

As for my team:

Samurott - Shogun otter sea lion
Still probably the best of the Unova starters from a in-game standpoint. Has decent coverage, good enough stats, and was able to carry himself very well. No complaints for this guy, reliable all the way through.

Lucario - Bane of Team Plasma
If you get to evolve him by the second gym, he crushes Roxie and Burgh since they can't do much to him due to his resistances/immunity. Other Gyms aren't as kind to him, so most of his performance came from dealing with the Team Plasma grunts since most of them carried Pokémon that he resisted and was able to brute force through. Definitely was a worthwhile member to pick up early in the game.

Braviary - True American eagle
This one was always one of those Pokémon that I wanted to use, but couldn't for one reason or another (his evolution requirement being the biggest one), so seeing that White 2 had a stationary one I jumped at the chance to pick it up. Overall, he did pretty well, his high exp. requirement made him a bit harder to manage, but he was a strong member through and through and was able to cover a good amount of teams that I had came across.

Volcarona - Mothra
Similar to Braviary, I always wanted to use it, but it was hard to do that, finally I got a chance here. Unfortunately, for its performance in the metagame, it has a harder time in the main game since its level-up movepool isn't really kind and TMs that help it out don't come into play until later in the story, so it was stuck with its base moveset and Signal Beam that I had tutored on it.

Flygon - Forever in Garchomp's shadow
Decided to give this guy a shot, and he didn't disappoint. Learned Earth Power, Rock Slide and Dragon Claw all upon level up and that was pretty much all he needed to succeed. Handled most of the gyms well, handled Team Plasma well, and did well with the Elite Four. I can see why he's a fan favorite as it has a lot of good tools under its belt, and it makes using it a great asset to any team.

Zoroark - The shadow of N
When I got to the gift Zorua, I decided what the hell and threw him on the team. Overall, didn't disappoint, I wasn't able to throw too many TMs on it, but it got through just fine with its moveset + Flamethrower. He was also the fastest member on the team, so he was also the member I could default to whenever I needed a quick KO.

Now, to get into Challenge Mode, as I said before, it's a nice uptick, but it's not the hardest game in the franchise. For the most part, it just ups the levels of the trainers, which doesn't do much for them as it just means they're slightly stronger then before, so not a lot changed in terms of regular trainers for the main game. The main changes come from the trainers like the Gym Leaders and Elite Four, and here I will say that they actually do improve with the mode as they have team changes that can trip you up if you're not careful. For instance, in the regular mode, I never had trouble with Elesa's Flaffy as it couldn't do much to my Ground types unlike her Zebstrika and Emolga and most of my team didn't really fear it otherwise anyway. Challenge mode? It employed parafusion, and it was annoying to deal with since I had lost my Ground type to Zebstrika before it was sent out. If you had a Ground type, then it's easier to deal with, but that tactic does punish the unprepared, which surprised me. Same with examples like Cheren's Lilipup gaining an Oran berry to improve its bulk and Burgh's team getting a complete revamp (gains two different Pokémon in trade for Swadloon and throws a Sitrus berry on Dwebble). The Elite Four step it up even more as all of their team members have items on them such as Shauntal's Chandelure being Scarf'd (nearly OHKO'd Samurott with that one, a Flying Gem boosted Archeops, and Life Orb Sheer Force Druddigon, with a special mention going to Marshal's Conkeldurr, which was a Guts boosted one with a Flame Orb that caught me completely off guard and one shotted poor Braviary. It was little changes like that which I appreciated as it made playing through the game again a bit more fun since the teams weren't exactly the same and I did have to play around some of their new tactics. It wasn't a complete upgrade from the challenge of the regular mode since most teams don't change enough, but it was still a nice change to the teams that made some of them more worthwhile to fight.

With that down, I finally have Pokémon Sun in hand and I'm having a blast playing it. So far it's been meeting my expectations and I'm looking forward to seeing more of it.

I can understand people being mad about wasting money on an inferior version of the game, especially since some people are doing trade-ins with a ton of high quality games just to get Sun/Moon.

That said, in light of the existences of Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, and to a lesser extent B2W2, the points you made do make it a bit of a step up from what has been done in the past. I'm just crossing my fingers the new features they roll out in it will be good.

On a note unrelated to this, I saw a NeoGAF post claiming that this having assets touched up means the Pokemon models weren't future proofed and thus had no excuse to run badly on the 3DS, when I'm pretty sure that's not the case at all. The Pokemon models are in fact future proofed and 1080p, it's that the entire rest of the game's assets pretty blatantly aren't. It's just that in development they displayed the proper 1080p model that they made on the screen and then simply had it display as lower definition on Sun and Moon.
I'm not sure if I'd really count B2W2 in general as you actually got more perks out of having the 'inferior' version then skipping over it, such as the N's Pokémon sidequest and Memory Link. You could buy both and then enjoy them as a separate package or even a complete set rather then one version completely outshining the other.

If this rumor is true, then you could actually argue that they're actually taking a step back from that as we're again getting a pair that's going to be outshined by their third version counterpart.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, yeah I figured those things, my implications were more so on the lines of why it's a struggle when they're usually so common. But I'm guessing they're not as common in this case.
It's not that they're rare, the problem was the new "calling for help" mechanic
It just makes catching Pokemon a pain in the ass because leaving anything at red will make them call for help and they'll succeed 90% of the time

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Well, guys; I think I may be departing from the NintenZone for a while due to the recent release of Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon (with Moon being the version I am planning on playing). Despite the fact I know you guys will do your best to stop major spoilers from coming through, it may be best for me to wait until next week before I return here after I've played the game myself for a bit, as anything can happen now that the game is officially out. I'll still be around on Smashboards, but I won't really be on the NintenZone until after Wednesday.

Hope you guys enjoy the game, and I will be sure to tell you what I think of it once I begin playing. :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Mini update:

Team:
Coo the Dartrix
Pancakes the Pikachu
Chubs the Munchlax
Master Belch the Grimer
Fruit Loops the Pikipek
Kurt the Slowpoke
I completed the first trial and caught myself a Pikachu since I didn't want to train up a Pichu because it would be tedious to evolve.
Also, I think I'll might replace Kommo-O with Crabominable for my team, since it will be a long way until I can get a Jangmo-O (yes I know Crabrawler evolved on Mt. Lanakila but I think I'll be able to get an eviolite until I get there) plus Ice is a good offensive type, and Golisopod can't take advantage of Ice Beam with it's trash sp. Atk stat

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
WTF people hitting other people in pokemon!?! What has generations brought upon us

D

Deleted member

It's not that they're rare, the problem was the new "calling for help" mechanic
It just makes catching Pokemon a pain in the *** because leaving anything at red will make them call for help and they'll succeed 90% of the time
Wow, that common? That actually does sound pretty dumb.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Finally played POGEYMANZ SON after work and got up to the first Center. I can already tell this is going to be friggin' amazing. :3

Anywho, catch up time:
  • Pokémon Star on Switch? I'll believe when I see it.
  • Super Mario X Rabbids RPG crossover for Swtich launch? Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh... WHAT??!!
  • According to Nintendo of Germany, Dem bans from Pokémon Sun/Moon are PERMANENT! Plz be true, they should've known this would happen if they pirated a HUGE HOLIDAY CASH COW FROM A CASH COW SERIES
  • The Pokémon Generations vid was awesome too.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Latest episode of Generations felt weak, but maybe that's because I haven't played Gen 5. But I didn't play Gen 3 remake either and the Scoop episode was amazing.

D

Deleted member

Mini update:

Team:
Coo the Dartrix
Pancakes the Pikachu
Chubs the Munchlax
Master Belch the Grimer
Fruit Loops the Pikipek
Kurt the Slowpoke
I completed the first trial and caught myself a Pikachu since I didn't want to train up a Pichu because it would be tedious to evolve.
Also, I think I'll might replace Kommo-O with Crabominable for my team, since it will be a long way until I can get a Jangmo-O (yes I know Crabrawler evolved on Mt. Lanakila but I think I'll be able to get an eviolite until I get there) plus Ice is a good offensive type, and Golisopod can't take advantage of Ice Beam with it's trash sp. Atk stat
Pretty sure Crabrawler can evolve by the second island so that won't be a problem
So, you playing Fire Emblem, right?
It's Awakening all over again
Wow, that common? That actually does sound pretty dumb.
And I just found out that they don't even need to be on red to call for help, a Delibird just called for help when she was on yellow
At least allow us to catch when there are two Pokemon in the field, that's the onpy problem I have: that catching becomes harder and boring
And the one Pokemon I wanted to do the SOS chain didn't call for help
The worst part of this is that you can't sit anymore, but everything else is tight tight tight
You can lie on some beds so that's something at least

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I've noticed when I caught some Pokémon after weakening it, I've noticed some of their moves didn't have full PP (they did use moves prior to catching).

Has that happened in the past or is this new?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom