• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Whoops forgot to explain that.

Arle Nadja isn't know outside of Japan. So Cloud would be a better "rep" for Japan. Plus when you think of Japanese Gaming you think of JRPGs. Cloud is the Ryu of the genre IMO.

Actually scratch that Cloud or the Monster Hunter Hunter. Hunter is more requested and more "Japan". Hunter is also popular abroad. The only issue is the creator of Hunter said he was against Hunter being in Smash (I believe, need to check for a source).
Yeah IIRC, MH folks don't want their characters in crossover fighters. Why explains why we never see them even in the Capcom centric ones.

Cloud to me, just doesn't really fit Smash at all. He's kind of too much Sony oriented, moreso than Snake. Doesn't really help that FF7 was the mark of the end of mainline FF support on Nintendo systems. It would make more sense if it was a classic NES FF rep or perhaps Dragon Quest? DQ may not be super popular in the west, but DQ9 sold a million there, so I guess there is some merit (along with the fact DQ is largely super popular in Japan).

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
If you guys are curious on what my theory is, well, here it is.
Every Amiibo loads a character ID when placed on the NFC reader. With of course Mario being ID: 0. In the 3DS version's code (albeit the current update), there are 6 slots (4 of which are occupied by Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy and Ryu) which is in there. After those 4 characters, there are two more vacant ones which are placeholders.

My theory is, if the Shovel Knight Amiibo .bin file is leaked, we put the file in an Amiiqo device. Then we put that on the NFC reader which loads one of the placeholder ID slots. This would then theoretically load Mario within' the game.
What do you guys think?
Sorry amiibo and Mario slots won't connect to each other. However, Smash amiibo have a unique amiibo file structure (to house the fighting personality). So we can at least check that.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I'm waiting for that too!

Anyway if you have to choose a third party rep for each region who would you choose?

America - Shovel Knight
Europe - Professor Layton
Japan - Cloud...maybe Arle Nadja
America - Shovel Knight
Europe - Banjo-Kazooie
Japan - Snake (if we're talking newcomers, not-super-edgy Simon Belmont)

Ryu and Roy aren't actually in the game you have all been fooled. @Swampasaur don't tell them
Damn you, Artsy Omni!

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Sorry amiibo and Mario slots won't connect to each other. However, Smash amiibo have a unique amiibo file structure (to house the fighting personality). So we can at least check that.
Wait, I thought loading a character ID slot like that would load Mario so the game wouldn't crash? I did not know that. Has anyone tried to hack those vacant slots in game?

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Yeah IIRC, MH folks don't want their characters in crossover fighters. Why explains why we never see them even in the Capcom centric ones.

Cloud to me, just doesn't really fit Smash at all. He's kind of too much Sony oriented, moreso than Snake. Doesn't really help that FF7 was the mark of the end of mainline FF support on Nintendo systems. It would make more sense if it was a classic NES FF rep or perhaps Dragon Quest? DQ may not be super popular in the west, but DQ9 sold a million there, so I guess there is some merit (along with the fact DQ is largely super popular in Japan).
That's true and the new Dq is coming to the West...and Square Ends said it might come out on the NX...that's a good point. Maybe they are preparing for more Nintendo fans to know their series?

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I think even if Shovel Knight was in, the amiibo would probably not have Smash functionality. It's been in development since the beginning of the year and it seems to have both the "read and write" functionality, meaning Shovel Knight data can be written to it.

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox
Would Australia and New Zealand be considered part of Europe in this case? Our Smash Ballots are separate but have the same format though. Unless we get Ty the Tasmanian Tiger or the Sniper from TF2 as reps.

Chrono.

That's certainly strange, especially with the amount of crossovers in MH itself lol

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I think even if Shovel Knight was in, the amiibo would probably not have Smash functionality. It's been in development since the beginning of the year and it seems to have both the "read and write" functionality, meaning Shovel Knight data can be written to it.
In other words, if Shovel Knight gets in Smash, it was planned months ago.

Interesting...

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I wonder what soul-crushing Mii costumes we'll get next.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
but.....but shantae has japanese fanart so that obviously means she has a considerable japanese following because uh
.....Is this a joke post?

If so, is it sad that I genuinely cannot tell?

It still saddens me that leak made so many people fear this community with what denial did to them. . . a fake leak with so much incriminating evidence against it has never lasted longer has it?
inb4 gematsu
Actually, yeah, I think Tower of Smash might've been the longest surviving leak that had major evidence against it.

Even if you count Gematsu as a fake leak, keep in mind that Chrom was the first real piece of evidence against it, and it pretty much died after that.

Tower of Smash, meanwhile, got two stages wrong (Great Cave Offensive/Mt. Dedede and Orbital Gate/Great Fox, arguably three if you count Gamer/"Game & Wario") and the majority handwaved that and said it was close enough or a simple mistake.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I always assumed Slime, Black Mage, or Chocobo would be the Square rep. I think that's marginally likely to happen, and especially more so if we're talking regional reps.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title

Yeah, I am certain it's a joke post.

I kinda don't blame you since people would say anything these days, but yeah.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
In dumb news to distract us from no Smash, people are trying to edit Samus's Wikipedia page to say she's transexual.

I can't make this up.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Do we know what characters are popular in Europe?

SpyroRyan

Smash Rookie
That logic doesn't make sense to me, we have yet to see anything worth saving to the Shovel Knight amiibo, and while there may be something that is stored on the amiibo, the same is true for Mario Party in which amiibo can read/write to either game, just not at the same time.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord

It's a joke post. I was joking about how some Shantae fans are quick to point out that there exists some Japanese fanart as evidence that she has some following in Japan. I had hoped using no capitalization and pretend stuttering would signal that I wasn't being serious.

I actually feel kinda insulted.:c
That logic doesn't make sense to me, we have yet to see anything worth saving to the Shovel Knight amiibo, and while there may be something that is stored on the amiibo, the same is true for Mario Party in which amiibo can read/write to either game, just not at the same time.
You can customize your own Shovel Knight and save it to the amiibo.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Yeah, I am certain it's a joke post.

I kinda don't blame you since people would say anything these days, but yeah.
I ask because it wouldn't be the first time I saw someone here use an art site as proof of a character's popularity. :laugh:

It's a joke post. I was joking about how some Shantae fans are quick to point out that there exists some Japanese fanart as evidence that she has some following in Japan. I had hoped using no capitalization and pretend stuttering would signal that I wasn't being serious.

I actually feel kinda insulted.:c
The lack of capitalization is the reason why I thought it might've been a joke. I wasn't sure, though, because like you said yourself, people genuinely do say stuff like that and mean it.

Last edited:

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
That's just your opinion...
A lot of people want those characters.

(v(- ' ' -)>→ .n_n.
Well yeah I know the characters have fans but still I do not see the appeal of SK (is a modern character with retro feal does it mean it has the credentials to become a playable character, for me no, I think it needs a little more games under his belt and really good ones to convince me that he has the pedigree to be playable) and BDee... ugh I will not say much about the character but to see him playable before King K. Rool, Ridley, Krystal, Isaac or many other Nintendo characters will make me question what the hell happen with the ballot.
That's subjective
Some people may find the inclusion of Bandana Dee and Shovel Knight more interesting than K. Rool and the Inklings(*cough*me*cough*)
Besides, all of those you just listed are really unlikelly
I'm not even going into details because I'll start a flame war and make myself sad at the same time
So Inkling, Wonder Red, Isaac, King K. Rool, Isaac are more unlikely than BDee and SK (at least SK has the amiibo going for him).
>crono
>ridley
i think maybe you should tone down your expectations
Well I like those characters and I will be perfectly fine if they do not make it in, by now I have lost faith in Sakurai and his roster decisions but he has this chance to prove me that at least he will consider something good after all this event with potential characters to become playable.

.n_n.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
That's true and the new Dq is coming to the West...and Square Ends said it might come out on the NX...that's a good point. Maybe they are preparing for more Nintendo fans to know their series?
That reminds me, what do you guys think the chances are of Kingdom Hearts III getting an NX port? It's the first game in the series that is not a PlayStation exclusive, as it's also coming to XBO, and the NX, if it really is coming out next year, should be out by its release. Also, if DQ11 is really coming to the NX, that shows SE has faith in the NX and is willing to put their projects on it too (which fits well in Nintendo's statement that 3rd parties liked the NX when they showed it to them).

I've personally never played a KH game in my life, and I don't want to buy a PS3 to play 1.5 and 2.5 ReMix (especially when SE said they might be remade for the current generation of consoles, which might maybe mean NX which I am without a doubt going to buy).

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I would honestly be okay with this.

I mean, it'd be great if he was a character because of how little content Golden Sun has (especially when compared to Brawl), but a Mii costume isn't a bad thing either.
I've got no problem with it, either. I don't want Isaac, and even if I did, I'm of the opinion that Mii costumes are a decent enough consolation prize for fans of characters who didn't make the cut.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Now that's just sad.
I found it hilarious. No what's sad is what'll happen when an admin makes it "fact". Wikipedia is even more busted than my Uni professors warned.

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman
If an Isaac costume brought a mage to the Mii cast, I would be super down for that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom