• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's ace pilots take flight! Pilot Wings for SSB4! Final Flight Call! Get the votes in heroes!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Sure! I have been posting on other threads to show support but they don't ask me to join, and none wants to join my Sophitia list.

At the K. Rool thread I got mocked for a typo.
Well, don't worry about a thing. We here at the Pilot Wings for SSB4 thread won't make fun of you. Right, guys and girls? All right then! I'll add you! BTW, did you go to the SSB Fighter's Poll on the official website? If you didn't, you can go there and vote for who want to see in Smash 4 as DLC! Hopefully you voted for a Pilot Wings character(?):chuckle: It can even be someone you requested like Shirley!

EDIT: Well, it's official, SSBCandidates! You are officially a High-Flying Hero! Welcome to the team!

Last edited:

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Well, don't worry about a thing. We here at the Pilot Wings for SSB4 thread won't make fun of you. Right, guys and girls? All right then! I'll add you! BTW, did you go to the SSB Fighter's Poll on the official website? If you didn't, you can go there and vote for who want to see in Smash 4 as DLC! Hopefully you voted for a Pilot Wings character(?):chuckle: It can even be someone you requested like Shirley!

EDIT: Well, it's official, SSBCandidates! You are officially a High-Flying Hero! Welcome to the team!
Thanks bro! You guys are the most homely community here at SB.com!

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Hey, thanks pal! Remind me, what did you put as your reasoning for having Shirley in Smash 4? Same for you, @Azure Warrior. Who did you put on the Fighter's Ballot, and why?
The main ballot or one among here?

Uh... like I said, my priority is Sophitia but tomorrow I plan to go to 2 different public places with my 2DS and one will got to Shirley. Not sure if the other to Sophitia or Travis Touchdown; or even Carrie Fernandez.

Anyway, thanks to Parrothead1983, I got motivated to nominate characters which hardly have some fame but are good (never liked the word "obscure," sounds nasty) and female characters.

Shirley is there since the first PW game, a SNES launch title... all we see of her is her face, she seems cute so maybe thanks to Smash, we can see her full body lol.

To date I wonder why for PW64 they discarded the original instructors and went with Nester and the cartoony gang?

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Uh... like I said, my priority is Sophitia but tomorrow I plan to go to 2 different public places with my 2DS and one will got to Shirley. Not sure if the other to Sophitia or Travis Touchdown; or even Carrie Fernandez.

Anyway, thanks to Parrothead1983, I got motivated to nominate characters which hardly have some fame but are good (never liked the word "obscure," sounds nasty) and female characters.

Shirley is there since the first PW game, a SNES launch title... all we see of her is her face, she seems cute so maybe thanks to Smash, we can see her full body lol.

To date I wonder why for PW64 they discarded the original instructors and went with Nester and the cartoony gang?
Oh, yeah...The one on the official Smash 4 website. And I personally think they added Lark/Nester and the rest of the PW64 cast for "personality". That's my personal opinion, at least.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Hey, thanks pal! Remind me, what did you put as your reasoning for having Shirley in Smash 4? Same for you, @Azure Warrior. Who did you put on the Fighter's Ballot, and why?
Lark because he's from one of my favorite Pilotwings games, there was no Pilotwings 64 content in Smash, and he is based on everyone's favorite Nintendo magazine mascot. But my actually reasons in the ballot were much more detailed and reasonable. :)

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Lark because he's from one of my favorite Pilotwings games, there was no Pilotwings 64 content in Smash, and he is based on everyone's favorite Nintendo magazine mascot. But my actually reasons in the ballot were much more detailed and reasonable. :)
Really? Well, by any chance, do you remember what you put down on the Fighter's Ballot? I mostly just put down that literally NO PW64 content was added to Smash 4, and that Lark can use various gadgets from all three games to fight his opponents, and I wasn't sure if I should mention that he could use Kiwi from PW64 as an alternate skin for Lark. (similar to Captain Olimar and Alph) I didn't want to burden Nintendo themselves with dropping some much Pilot Wings knowledge on them.:awesome: So I decided against that and simply kept my description strictly on Lark. Speaking of which, I hope I'm not bothering with this, but do you think you can do a Palutena's Guidance on Kiwi? I know I said I might do it, but I've been busy with other stuff, and I just didn't really care anymore to do it. Not like I want to burden you, or anything, if you don't want to do it, you don't have to. I'm only asking since you already did Lark and all.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Really? Well, by any chance, do you remember what you put down on the Fighter's Ballot? I mostly just put down that literally NO PW64 content was added to Smash 4, and that Lark can use various gadgets from all three games to fight his opponents, and I wasn't sure if I should mention that he could use Kiwi from PW64 as an alternate skin for Lark. (similar to Captain Olimar and Alph) I didn't want to burden Nintendo themselves with dropping some much Pilot Wings knowledge on them. So I decided against that and simply kept my description strictly on Lark. Speaking of which, I hope I'm not bothering with this, but do you think you can do a Palutena's Guidance on Kiwi? I know I said I might do it, but I've been busy with other stuff, and I just didn't really care anymore to do it. Not like I want to burden you, or anything, if you don't want to do it, you don't have to. I'm only asking since you already did Lark and all.
I practically mentioned that he was the star of the first 3D Pilotwings title and his overall design is based on everyone's favorite kid from Nintendo Power magazine. I've also went in detail in terms of how he could use the gadgets from all three games to make him an area oriented fighter that controls the skies (Something we never really had before). The last part was practically reminding them that while we have a Pilotwings stage, it would be nice to have a character from the series to fully represent it other than the Miis.

I can make that Kiwi Palutena Guidance at a later time since I can understand why your were busy. I won't however make it immediately since I would use this time wisely to work on a few assignments of mines. And remember, you never really bothered me to begin with fellow Pilotwings fan. ;)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I didn't know there was a pilot wings on the N64. I loved the game on the Super Nintendo but I didn't get an N64 until later into its life cycle

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I didn't know there was a pilot wings on the N64. I loved the game on the Super Nintendo but I didn't get an N64 until later into its life cycle
It's pretty understandable, Pilotwings 64 was considered forgettable at that time and it had much more mixed reviews in comparison to the first game. Then there's the fact that the sales weren't as good as the first game (Which could also explain why the characters haven't appeared in the 3DS sequel).

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Really? You should try out Pilot Wings 64. It's pretty fun, colorful, and has quite a bit of "personality". Especially compared to the SNES classic and Pilot Wings Resort for Nintendo 3DS.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Well, the place near my grandmother's is closed, went to a more expensive place and voted for Shirley. Sorry I have no pics on it, don't have a phone and they did not let me install MWSnap, but I swear to God in this Holy Friday I voted for Shirley.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Well, the place near my grandmother's is closed, went to a more expensive place and voted for Shirley. Sorry I have no pics on it, don't have a phone and they did not let me install MWSnap, but I swear to God in this Holy Friday I voted for Shirley.
Well hopefully, your vote still went through. Let's all hope that by some miracle, a Pilot Wings character DOES end up being playable in Smash. I'm personally hoping for Lark from Pilot Wings 64 as a playable character for Smash 4 as my signature and avatar can show you.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Well hopefully, your vote still went through. Let's all hope that by some miracle, a Pilot Wings character DOES end up being playable in Smash. I'm personally hoping for Lark from Pilot Wings 64 as a playable character for Smash 4 as my signature and avatar can show you.
I voted for Lark today... but I still want him called Nester. And to bowl with virtual boy graphics. Just now I want him to also use Pilotwings 64 attacks along with the virtual boy stuff. Anyway, please add me to the support list.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I voted for Lark today... but I still want him called Nester. And to bowl with virtual boy graphics. Just now I want him to also use Pilotwings 64 attacks along with the virtual boy stuff. Anyway, please add me to the support list.
Of course I'll add you! We can always use more supporters! Also, TBH, I think it would be safer if we use the name Lark, mostly because the name Nester is used primarily for Nintendo Power magazine, and in which case, Nester originated in a book, even though it was always associated with Nintendo themselves (Yes, I know we still have Nester's Funky Bowling) and the name Lark seems primarily used for the Nintendo GAME, Pilot Wings 64 (which is somewhat more well-known than Funky Bowling), and I also used the name (Lark) just to be safe that Nintendo would be more willing to add a playable character from Pilot Wings (64), hopefully. And they did say they want someone who originated in a video game and while Nester was known for Nintendo Power, a magazine about Nintendo, his "Lark" persona "debuted" in Pilot Wings 64, a Nintendo videogame.

EDIT: You are officially a "High-Flying Hero", Freduardo! Congratulations!

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
And the moment you been waiting for, the long waited Palutena Guidance for Kiwi:

Pit: "That cute girl, why is she wearing that weird contraption on her back?"

Palutena: "Gee Pit, you sure like to point out anything that bothers you for being out of the ordinary."

Pit: "Well of course this strange girl is out of the ordinary. I mean look at those steel wings that are on her back!"

Palutena: "If you want an explanation behind this girl, I'll just say that Kiwi is her name and flying is her game."

Pit: "Flying is her game? I mean she totally isn't going to pilot those wings and take flight herself, right? "

Palutena: "Indeed she will because she is a Mistress of the Skies with many devices at her disposal. These include the Rocket Belt, Hang Glider, Gyrocopter, and other fantastic flight devices made for flight purposes. She can be a visual threat in the cloudy battlefield if you underestimate her adorable attire and nice smile."

Pit: "Mistress of the Skies huh? She doesn't look like a mistress to me nor does she look like a threatening force in the air. Maybe shouldn't think too hard about it or else her strange metal wings would be proven something that would give me an embarrassing loss"

Palutena: "There you go Pit, always losing your focus when it comes to cute girls. I did say that you shouldn't underestimate her at all and she's no slouch in the aerial acrobatics with those shiny wings. Just try not to keep your head too far above the clouds though or else you would be given that embarrassing defeat."

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Absolutely no way a Pilotwings character sneaks into Smash 4 DLC, unless we end up getting quite a bit more DLC than anticipated.

That said, I feel like they would be an incredibly solid and even likely choice for Smash 5. Sakurai likes to pull older obscure characters into the new Smash games. Probably would be a very good choice. Little Mac's opposite number, fantastic in the air but total ass on the ground.

I do have to back Goose though. I know Lark is more popular a choice but meh. Goose was my OG back in the day of blasting out of cannons and jetpacking into walls.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
And the moment you been waiting for, the long waited Palutena Guidance for Kiwi:

Palutena: "Gee Pit, you sure like to point out anything that bothers you for being out of the ordinary."

Pit: "Well of course this strange girl is out of the ordinary. I mean look at those steel wings that are on her back!"

Palutena: "If you want an explanation behind this girl, I'll just say that Kiwi is her name and flying is her game."

Pit: "Flying is her game? I mean she totally isn't going to pilot those wings and take flight herself, right? "

Palutena: "Indeed she will because she is a Mistress of the Skies with many devices at her disposal. These include the Rocket Belt, Hang Glider, Gyrocopter, and other fantastic flight devices made for flight purposes. She can be a visual threat in the cloudy battlefield if you underestimate her adorable attire and nice smile."

Pit: "Mistress of the Skies huh? She doesn't look like a mistress to me nor does she look like a threatening force in the air. Maybe shouldn't think too hard about it or else her strange metal wings would be proven something that would give me an embarrassing loss"

Palutena: "There you go Pit, always losing your focus when it comes to cute girls. I did say that you shouldn't underestimate her at all and she's no slouch in the aerial acrobatics with those shiny wings. Just try not to keep your head too far above the clouds though or else you would be given that embarrassing defeat."
Oh, thank you so much! I'm sorry if it feels like I was pestering you to do this, BTW.

Absolutely no way a Pilotwings character sneaks into Smash 4 DLC, unless we end up getting quite a bit more DLC than anticipated.

That said, I feel like they would be an incredibly solid and even likely choice for Smash 5. Sakurai likes to pull older obscure characters into the new Smash games. Probably would be a very good choice. Little Mac's opposite number, fantastic in the air but total *** on the ground.

I do have to back Goose though. I know Lark is more popular a choice but meh. Goose was my OG back in the day of blasting out of cannons and jetpacking into walls.
You know, that's exactly how I picture any Pilot Wings character who would end up playable in Smash, the total opposite of Little Mac. BTW, I really like Goose too, but I just feel that if ANYONE were to get into Smash from PW, it would have to be Lark from PW 64. Of course, I also feel that if Lark is not the playable PW rep, then it just HAS to be Goose. I figure I may as well mention this too, but I feel that Kiwi from PW 64 could an alternate skin of Lark if he ever made it into Smash. BTW, can I add you to the support list?

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Oh, thank you so much! I'm sorry if it feels like I was pestering you to do this, BTW.

You know, that's exactly how I picture any Pilot Wings character who would end up playable in Smash, the total opposite of Little Mac. BTW, I really like Goose too, but I just feel that if ANYONE were to get into Smash from PW, it would have to be Lark from PW 64. Of course, I also feel that if Lark is not the playable PW rep, then it just HAS to be Goose. I figure I may as well mention this too, but I feel that Kiwi from PW 64 could an alternate skin of Lark if he ever made it into Smash. BTW, can I add you to the support list?
Absolutely you can

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Excuse me Azure, but do you think you could do a "Vote for" poster for the PW cast (or at least Lark) like you've been doing for other support threads, please?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Excuse me Azure, but do you think you could do a "Vote for" poster for the PW cast (or at least Lark) like you've been doing for other support threads, please?
Give me at least a few days to do so. Just got to find that high quality background to use for him at least. :)

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Give me at least a few days to do so. Just got to find that high quality background to use for him at least. :)
How about you use the "canyon" background found on the game's JP box-art? It's looks pretty high-quality to me. I mean this by the way:

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
How about you use the "canyon" background found on the game's JP box-art? It's looks pretty high-quality to me. I mean this by the way:

Thanks a lot, I'll see what I can do with that. And now to make more room for all the important details. :evil:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Sorry for the double post, but I'm finally done with the pic and it was a doozy alright. Having to remove all the extra characters meant a few actions that would be required to make it look less jarring like retouching the ground/mountains with the same textures in a way where it looks good and reducing the cloudy sky to a generic blue background. The text itself is rather straightforward, implying that the 64 side of Pilotwings serve representation over the SNES/Resort bias in Smash.

What are your thoughts or do you feel that something else should be used for the picture's message?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Sorry for the double post, but I'm finally done with the pic and it was a doozy alright. Having to remove all the extra characters meant a few actions that would be required to make it look less jarring like retouching the ground/mountains with the same textures in a way where it looks good and reducing the cloudy sky to a generic blue background. The text itself is rather straightforward, implying that the 64 side of Pilotwings serve representation over the SNES/Resort bias in Smash.

What are your thoughts or do you feel that something else should be used for the picture's message?

OH MY GOSH! This is FANTASTIC! Thanks, @Azure Warrior! I really owe you one! So...where do you think I could start? I really need a lot of help getting this out, and to be honest, I'm not much of a social media type of person, so....if you and a couple others could give me a hand, that'd be great! As you and I know, the demand for a PW character isn't exactly at an all-time high, let alone PW 64 representation in Smash, but we can still try, right? I'm pretty sure Nintendo still owns the rights to these characters, so hopefully we can get somewhere soon!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
OH MY GOSH! This is FANTASTIC! Thanks, @Azure Warrior! I really owe you one! So...where do you think I could start? I really need a lot of help getting this out, and to be honest, I'm not much of a social media type of person, so....if you and a couple others could give me a hand, that'd be great! As you and I know, the demand for a PW character isn't exactly at an all-time high, let alone PW 64 representation in Smash, but we can still try, right? I'm pretty sure Nintendo still owns the rights to these characters, so hopefully we can get somewhere soon!
I'm sure that I can share this on my Twitter and Tumblr account tonight, while also posting it on my DeviantArt account. The other supporters in this thread do need to participate too since this is supposed to be a team effort. Enough noise from more than one person is guaranteed to get even more attention after all.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I'm sure that I can share this on my Twitter and Tumblr account tonight, while also posting it on my DeviantArt account. The other supporters in this thread do need to participate too since this is supposed to be a team effort. Enough noise from more than one person is guaranteed to get even more attention after all.
I know what you mean. Honestly, I'm glad some of them have even VOTED for Pilot Wings to get a playable character in Smash via the Smash Ballot, but still, we should really get some more things done around here. I mean I won't lie, forgive me if it sounds a bit selfish, but has anyone ever asked Sakurai just WHY in the world is there literally NO PW 64 representation in Smash 4? When I finally realized there was LITERALLY NO representation in Smash 4 of PW 64 in the Pilot Wings stage, I was amazed and VERY disappointed. I mean, how do you leave out the one PW game that actually had NAMED playable characters? It made no sense to me, honestly. If anything, I just want Sakurai to give a clear answer to us. Heck, I'll even be cool with him saying, "I couldn't think of a moveset for anyone in that series", or "I forgot about that game".

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I know what you mean. Honestly, I'm glad some of them have even VOTED for Pilot Wings to get a playable character in Smash via the Smash Ballot, but still, we should really get some more things done around here. I mean I won't lie, forgive me if it sounds a bit selfish, but has anyone ever asked Sakurai just WHY in the world is there literally NO PW 64 representation in Smash 4? When I finally realized there was LITERALLY NO representation in Smash 4 of PW 64 in the Pilot Wings stage, I was amazed and VERY disappointed. I mean, how do you leave out the one PW game that actually had NAMED playable characters? It made no sense to me, honestly. If anything, I just want Sakurai to give a clear answer to us. Heck, I'll even be cool with him saying, "I couldn't think of a moveset for anyone in that series", or "I forgot about that game".
I think they simply went for both games and not 64 was because they shared the same developer. 64 was developed by a different team that was in Texas as opposed to the more Asian-centric developers of Resort and SNES. So I imagine Sakurai avoiding to reference anything made by a Western team or let alone adding a Western centric character in the roster.

That could explain why characters like Captain N or Mike Jones are seen as unlikely options in their eyes. Duck Hunt and Little Mac were the only exceptions this time around (The former due to being from an iconic NES title and the latter because of massive fan support in the West). I don't see him changing his stance on it unless by some miracle Lark were to be heavily requested or the character were to reappear in a future PW title with the Japanese team's development.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I think they simply went for both games and not 64 was because they shared the same developer. 64 was developed by a different team that was in Texas as opposed to the more Asian-centric developers of Resort and SNES. So I imagine Sakurai avoiding to reference anything made by a Western team or let alone adding a Western centric character in the roster.

That could explain why characters like Captain N or Mike Jones are seen as unlikely options in their eyes. Duck Hunt and Little Mac were the only exceptions this time around (The former due to being from an iconic NES title and the latter because of massive fan support in the West). I don't see him changing his stance on it unless by some miracle Lark were to be heavily requested or the character were to reappear in a future PW title with the Japanese team's development.
Sadly, all of what you said sounds SO true. But still, it's like I said back in April, the Smash Ballot is the whole reason we can't give up! Like I said back then, this ballot may be literally our ONLY chance to get a PW character in Smash.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

That said, I feel like they would be an incredibly solid and even likely choice for Smash 5. Sakurai likes to pull older obscure characters into the new Smash games. Probably would be a very good choice. Little Mac's opposite number, fantastic in the air but total *** on the ground.

So......Ryu and Roy (from Fire Emblem) are overall confirmed for Smash 4...Just thought I should share the news. Not that I have a problem with any of it.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So......Ryu and Roy (from Fire Emblem) are overall confirmed for Smash 4...Just thought I should share the news. Not that I have a problem with any of it.
I know, my girlfriend woke me up at the crack of dawn just to watch the first leaked videos. Looking forward to maining him after the purchase.

If that's not all, we're also having a Dreamlland 64 stage (with new Kirby tracks) and a few Rhythm Heaven tracks. I hope the latter actually means that Sakurai is aware of the demand for a new character.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I'd be down to support Lark for Smash although I have no idea what he'd do besides Up B jet pack and Final Smash would be a plane. btw you should open up your 1080 and Wave Race character thread.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I'd be down to support Lark for Smash although I have no idea what he'd do besides Up B jet pack and Final Smash would be a plane. btw you should open up your 1080 and Wave Race character thread.
I take this to mean that I can put you on the support thread?

Top Bottom