• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo UK Hosting Invitational for SSB Wii U

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Interested in going to or watching the 2015 MCM Comic Con in Birmingham? Well you should be now after the exciting news of an invitational tournament hosted by Nintendo UK for Super Smash Bros for Wii U. Nintendo recently released a press release detailing the specifics of the event.

Currently there are no details as to who has been invited; but the announcement confirmed that 32 players would be facing off in a head-to-head tournament bracket. The event will be taking place live at Birmingham's National Exhibition Centre. Quarter-finals and semi-finals are all set to be streamed on Twitch on March 21st starting at 10:00am EST (2:00pm GMT). The grand finals are slated to start at 12:00pm EST (4:00pm GMT).

In addition to the invitational event a slew of other Super Smash Bros. events for the Wii U and 3DS both are confirmed to be hosted by Nintendo at the two day convention on the 21st and 22nd. Events include on-stage exhibition matches with random themes including amiibo 8-player free-for-all and player + amiibo team up events.

Who do you think we'll see at this event? Who will take home the gold? Feel free to message me on Twitter to speculate! -Xiivi

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Zack

Banned via Administration
NNID
Chibi_Zack
i have a feeling there will only be like five people who are a challenge to the other said people.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
if this anything like the e3 invitational I expected all items on and four player timed matches
I'd actually watch that. I don't really see much Smash Bros. Free-For-Alls with competitive players, since it's always a 1v1 or 2v2 match. At the invitational, it was kind of fun to wonder what profesional players were thinking and doing with Smash 4 characters they've barely touched, like aMSa, the Yoshi player, playing Smash 4 Olimar.

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
I'd actually watch that. I don't really see much Smash Bros. Free-For-Alls with competitive players, since it's always a 1v1 or 2v2 match. At the invitational, it was kind of fun to wonder what profesional players were thinking and doing with Smash 4 characters they've barely touched, like aMSa, the Yoshi player, playing Smash 4 Olimar.
This. We get to see these players in our competitive version of Smash all the time. We know under different circumstances they would never play Free For All or with items on, so it's novel to be able to see them compete in this kind of rule set.

Of course not as a norm, but for a Nintendo Invitational, sure could be....FUN.

Sp1nda

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
Oh boy, timed with items on and Wii Remotes!
How fuuuuuunn...

Radirgy

Smash Apprentice
The 32 people who have been invited are based on a tournament that took place back in January. That tournament was tournament rules double elimination with pools, it was won by J Miller (who had also won BEAST 5 two weeks earlier). This comic con tournament however is single elimination which a lot of players are unhappy about, the players only got their invites this week meaning a lot of them cannot attend because it is too short notice.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Single elim and barely any of the actual best UK Smash 4 players are going to be there. Nothing to see here lol.

Last edited:

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Single Elimination is pretty bad though. There's just no comeback hype. And that sucks the best players can't even make it. Has JMiller confirmed attendance?

Man Nintendo keeps dropping the ball with these tournaments and their handling.

Professional_Bird

Smash Rookie
NNID
ParkerAtriumEDM
This. We get to see these players in our competitive version of Smash all the time. We know under different circumstances they would never play Free For All or with items on, so it's novel to be able to see them compete in this kind of rule set.

Of course not as a norm, but for a Nintendo Invitational, sure could be....FUN.
>The smash community
>having fun
pick one

Last edited:

Sn0wman

Smash Rookie
It's cool to see a Smash tournament like this coming to the UK. I live in Northern Ireland and it's hard to find people to play with. Maybe it will give the public a glimpse into the Smash scene and encourage more people to play!

GamefreakDX

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3067-6277-7612
In Birmingham? Darn. I don't have the money to go that high up England. I guess I'm stuck with the one in the London Victoria Docks.

Milesaru

Smash Rookie
NNID
Milesaru86
It says there are "tournaments" for people that weren't invited too. Anybody know what this entails? If there's an official tournament for people that weren't invited too I'd totally go, if it's just a bunch of "fun" non-competitive games, I'm out.

Darrman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darrman
3DS FC
4785-6377-6170
And the tourney's over. The winner was JMiller, yeah. His Luigi crushed the opposing Pikachu. 3-0 finals!

PS: It was 1v1, 2-stock 5-minutes. Items off. FG, basically.

Top Bottom