• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo trying to give publicity to unknown characters?

samgamereviews

Smash Cadet
If you really think about it, Nintendo has added some of the least known and strangest characters of all. Sure they are cool but wouldn't Nintendo want to put somebody more modern in the roster? Take Pit for an example, while I am excited to play with him, I don't remember seeing any modern Pit games. Ice Climbers? Don't have any games out in the past like decade. And what suprised me the most was todays update: Olimar and Pikmin. Wasn't Pikmin just one game? I'm not so sure because I never played it but while Sonic and Snake were cool choices, why are lesser known Nintendo characters appearing? Maybe they were so popular at the time that they had to be put in brawl. I don't know. What do you think? I just think older characters are attampting to be ressurected.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Brawl isn't about the latest games, it's about the combined history of Nintendo smashed together...

Why should only the latest games be in Smash?

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
If they were trying to give more publicity to unknown character they would just put fricken Isaac in. :(

EPX2

Smash Ace
... as stated by keeper, Pikmin is a series comprising of two (possibly soon to be three) games... and it's hardly "unknown." If anything, Captain Olimar was one of the more widely-requested and expected characters. I know I definitely expected him ever since Brawl was announced.

Zevox

Smash Lord
Brawl isn't about the latest games, it's about the combined history of Nintendo smashed together...

Why should only the latest games be in Smash?
Truth. SSB has never been about just the latest characters or games. Even back when the original was released, Ness was over 5 years old and from the middle of the previous generation system's history. Being old doesn't change the fact that the characters are greats from Nintendo history.

...and seriously, how could you not see Olimar coming? Sure Pikmin only has two games at this point, but Pikmin was pretty much the single biggest new series to hit the Gamecube, and was created by the man who gave us the likes of Mario and Zelda, Shigeru Miyamoto himself. Plus theres the whole "poll" on which Olimar got three mentions, the same as Krystal and Young "WW" Link and just one short of guys like Diddy, Ike, and Ridley. Hes been a shoe-in from the beginning.

Zevox

The Great Tama

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand you. If they resurrect old characters, there is a possibility that they will be reinterested and make way for new titles. I know Nintendo is seeing that potential in Pit.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't understand you. If they resurrect old characters, there is a possibility that they will be reinterested and make way for new titles. I know Nintendo is seeing that potential in Pit.
New Kid Icarus would be awesome!!!

...Hopefully it's 3D incarnation would be reminiscent of The Legend of Zelda...except with Jumping and flying and more 3D puzzles and mazes and stuff...

vesperview

Smash Hero
If you really think about it, Nintendo has added some of the least known and strangest characters of all. Sure they are cool but wouldn't Nintendo want to put somebody more modern in the roster? Take Pit for an example, while I am excited to play with him, I don't remember seeing any modern Pit games. Ice Climbers? Don't have any games out in the past like decade. And what suprised me the most was todays update: Olimar and Pikmin. Wasn't Pikmin just one game? I'm not so sure because I never played it but while Sonic and Snake were cool choices, why are lesser known Nintendo characters appearing? Maybe they were so popular at the time that they had to be put in brawl. I don't know. What do you think? I just think older characters are attampting to be ressurected.
Thanks for pointing out the obvious, retro and past characters will always be included in Smash, just not in a large amounts and you think Pikmin is unknown? GTFO!

Chepe

Smash Lord
Listing Olimar with the likes of Pit and Ice Climbers? Pikmin is a NEW series, so it is as modern as you could want in a series (in fact, I believe it is the newest series to have a character in Brawl yet)...

Digital Angel

Smash Journeyman
Great , another off-topic theory completely uncontaminated with logic or evidence.

This thread gets my stamp of approval.

T3h Kaiser

Smash Cadet
Pikmin represents the best of what the Gamecube had to offer, and it was also the most recent franchise created by Shigeru Miyamoto.

Ice Climbers? Don't have any games out in the past like decade.
Heh, try the past two decades. They were specifically chosen because of their status as "retro" characters; characters from games that didn't turn into multiple-sequel spanning franchises, that represent the first years of the NES / Famicom.

And while the Kid Icarus series only had two games, Pit still comes up in conversation fairly frequently. I remember letters being sent to Nintendo Power after Super Smash Bros. was released for the N64, saying how much they wanted Pit to be in the next SSB game (Melee).

Top Bottom