• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Tournament: Preliminary Round 05: Marth vs. Geno

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Link to original post: [drupal=4481]Nintendo Tournament: Preliminary Round 05 Marth vs. Geno (Voted)[/drupal]

About this blog:
This blog will take thirty-six characters that have appeared on a Nintendo console, and match them all against one another to decide finally, who is the strongest of the group. This will work in a bracket system like a normal tournament. After the first ten rounds I will be posting the brackets for everyone to see. The rounds last 24 hours, and will be updated daily, for the most part. Once we get into the top ten, we will take longer discussing the battles, and the time limit will be changed. Debates are welcomed.

This game actually came to me about six months ago, but I did it in poll form. After finding out how un-fun that was, I decided this was a better route.

How the game works:
You will look at the two characters, decide who would win between them, and give me a good reason as to why they win. You then will rate both characters on a one-to-seven scale(One being weak, seven being omnipotent/masterful) in the following categories: Intelligence, Speed, Strength, Projectiles, Fighting Skills, and Stamina(How long they can last in a battle). You will also have four votes per round. You will be voting for who you want to see in the next bracket of the tournament. The two characters with the most votes will square off with one another. These will be used later on. From there, I will take all of the votes, count them up, and announce a winner. The winners will be listed below, and so will the losers. I will also list the votes as well.

[COLLAPSE="Number Value System"]
1 is something below average. Giving a character a 1 means they are actually BAD at this/have this as a heavy weakness. Ex: A Sumo wrestler would get a 1 in speed because of his obese size.

2 is what you give when that characters quality is that of a normal person. Ex: Peach's strength seems to be at par, or a tad higher than a normal girl. she isn't a super freak in this sense.

3 is given when someone is as good as the top 5% of the normal human population. Ex: Falco's Aim is in tip top shape, but he isn't a never miss type of character.

4 is a superhuman. Someone who is above every normal person. Ex: Chun Li's physical streangth would easily take out any real life strong man. She's superhuman.

5 Top class. Someone who is Pretty much one of the best at what they do that is alive. Ex: Mewtwo is one of the strongest Psychic Pokemon Period. He is a top class warrior and can defeat even the strongest of elite four opponents.

6 Legendary, someone who is one of the best at something when compared to any character. When someone has a 6 in a category, it means they have become the stuff of legends. Not usually awarded. Ex: Sonic's speed. He is one of the fastest characters, ever.

7 Omnipotent, God status. You are the best, and no one is or ever has been better than you. Ex: Dialga, in theory is the controller of time, he, in theory, has a power that renders everyone else, useless.

[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="FAQ"]What do I have to write again?

- Okay, I need from you: Your vote on who will win, A rating for both characters in each category, AND, after the first round, all the participating characters will be voted on.

How does voting work?

- After you are done with voting/giving reason for why you voted the way you did/rate the characters on the six skills, you will have four votes. These votes will be used to decide who will be battling one another in the next round. The votes can be used on all one character, or four separate. You get to vote every time a new match-up is shown.

What happens if the votes land in an even 50/50 for each character?

- On the very off chance of this happening, I would look at the catagories of stats, and see who has the higher numbers. My logic behind this is, if thematch is truely that even, it just comes down to who has better projectiles, who's a litte strong/faster ect.

What are the requirements for fan characters?

- Must have originated from a video game, and must have been on at least one Nintendo system.

Is this going to end up being all Mario characters?

- Definitely not. Because I fear something like this could happen with any franchise, Only 3 characters per franchise will be allowed to enter. Who they are is completely up to the votes though.

Can I ask for Layton and Luke to be a duo?

- Yes, certain characters who would otherwise be far too weak to fair well alone, can be voted for as a duo. You must give me a good reason as to why they couldn't go far without a partner though.

How do Pokemon Trainers work?

- Okay, Pokemon Trainers are allowed to have 3 Pokemon. Playable characters like Red/Leaf must have their series's starters. They can be in any evolution state. Ex: You can have Charizard, Blastiose, and Venusaur, or any combination you would like. Trainers like Cynthia, can have 3 of any Pokemon they are known to have in the Pokemon games. If One person wants Cynthia to battle with her Garchomp, Rosarade, and Togakiss, and someone wants a different combo, that's fine.[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Preliminary Victors"]
Mario
Intelligence - 4
Speed – 4
Projectiles – 4
Fighting Skills – 4
Stamina - 3

Samus
Intelligence - 6
Speed - 4
Projectile - 5
Fighting Skills - 5
Stamina -5

Ivy Valentine
Intelligence - 5
Speed - 3
Projectiles - 4
Fighting Skills - 5
Stamina - 5

Ridley
Intelligence - 5
Speed - 5
Projectiles - 4
Fighting Skills - 5
Stamina - 6

[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Losing Characters"]
Link(Lost to Mario P01)
Intelligence - 4
Speed -2
Projectiles - 5
Fighting Skills -5
Stamina - 5

Zero(Lost to Samus P02)
Intelligence - 6
Speed - 5
Projectile - 4
Fighting Skills - 4
Stamina - 4

Chun Li(Lost to Ivy P03)
Intelligence - 4
Speed - 5
Projectiles - 2
Fighting Skills - 6
Stamina - 4

Mega Man(Lost to Ridley P04)
Mega Man:
Intelligence - 4
Speed - 3
Projectiles - 6
Fighting Skills - 5
Stamina - 4

[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Votes"]
Pikachu - 3
King K Rool - 2
Zelda/Sheik - 2
Sora - 2
Captain Falcon - 2
Kirby - 2
Nightmare - 1
Fox - 1
Donkey Kong - 1
Diddy Kong - 1
Jill Valentine - 1
Bowser - 1
Ganondorf - 1
Mewtwo - 1
Masked Man/Claus - 1
Sukapon - 1
Takamaru - 1
Black Knight - 1
Ryu - 1
Sonic - 1
[/COLLAPSE]

Preliminary Round 05: Marth vs Geno(Voted Match)​

Have fun ;D Preliminaries are daily so, check back often! The fights are also determined by votes, so don't forget to vote for who you want to see in the next round!

D

Deleted member

Hope I'm doing this right...

Definitely Mario. More agile then Link, more important to Nintendo's history then Link, has fought off against evil much, much more often then Link, and has more move set potentials. It is likely that he would win.

Mario:
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 4
Projectile: 2
Fighting Skills: 7
Stamina: 4

Link:
Intelligence: 4
Speed: 2
Projectile: 4
Fighting Skills: 5

Shortie, am I allowed to put my votes on the same characters? If so...

Mega Man (x4)

If not...

Mega Man (x1)
Sonic (x1)
Pikachu (x1)
Kirby (x1)

Also, do the votes stay even after the round has ended?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Yep you did everything right. You are allowed to vote for a single person multiple times, but if the thred doesn't pick up and get a decent following I may abandon/Discussion Group this idea.

Yes, the votes are perminent. If I get eight to ten more participents between today and tuesday night , I'll probably just end up making another round.

I suppose I should chime in on my own game.

In a battle between Mario and Link, the stats are key to help deciding a reletively even match. For every Item Link has ever had, I know Mario has two to match it. So, projectiles/weaponry is really evenly matched. Before I really get into the details, I will post my views on the stats. I'll also give a little scale at where each number lies, and repost it in the FAQ section

Mario:
Intellegence, 4
Speed, 4
Projectile, 5
Fighting Skills, 4
Stamina, 5

Link
Intellegence, 4
Speed, 2
Projectile, 5
Fighting Skills, 5
Stamina, 5

So, as you can see, I feel Marioi and Link are pretty evenly matched. They both posses items that can aid them in the heat of battle, and really have a good head on there shoulders. The places where they do differ are Soeed, and Fighting Skills. Link has master multiple weapons, and has a nack with his sword. While Mario may be good at throwing Ice/Fire balls and tossing around a hammer, the skill that is required to use Link's items, is in my opinion, at a level above Mario's simple power up type items. This WOULD have been the diciding factor of this evenly matched battle for me, if it wasn't for Mario's speed. Like when two predatory animals come into conflict with one another, the winner is usually decided by the faster one. So my vote goes for Mario. His speed really would help him more than fighting technique in this even match.

My votes go for, Pikachu x2, Fox, and Nightmare(Soul Caliber)

The Number System​

1 is something below average. Giving a character a 1 means they are actually BAD at this/have this as a heavy weakness. Ex: A Sumo wrestlor would get a 1 in speed because of his obese size.

2 is what you give when that characters quality is that of a normal person. Ex: Peach's strength seems to be at par, or a tad higher than a normal girl. she isn't a super freak in this sense.

3 is given when someone is as good as the top 5% of the normal human population. Ex: Falco's Aim is in tip top shape, but he isn't a never miss type of character.

4 is a superhuman. Someone who is above every normal person. Ex: Chun Li's physical streangth would easily take out any real life strong man. She's superhuman.

5 Top class. Someone who is Pretty much one of the best at what they do that is alive. Ex: Mewtwo is one of the strongest Psychic Pokemon Period. He is a top class warrior and can defeat even the strongest of elite four opponents.

6 Legendary, someone who is one of the best at something when compared to any character. When someone has a 6 in a catagory, it means they have become the stuff of legends. Not usually awarded. Ex: Sonic's speed. He is one of the fastest characters, ever.

7 Omnipotent, God status. You are the best, and no one is or ever has been better than you. Ex: Dialga, in theory is the controller of time, he, in theory, has a power that renders everyone else, useless.

Does this help?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
HURM.

Mario
Intelligence: 2
Speed: 4 - SPEED RUN.
Projectiles: 3
Stamina: 1 - He's usually down after taking one to three hits, lol.

Link
Intelligence: 4 - Solving puzzles is all he does.

Looks like Link wins.

All my votes go to Ridley.

Mario:
Intelligence - 4 (He's a doctor. 'Nuff said)
Speed - 5
Projectiles - 3
Fighting skills - 5
Stamina - 2 (Lolololol)

Link
Intelligence - 2 <-- (Book smart) 5 <-- (street smart)
Speed - 2
Projectiles - 5
Fighting Skills - 6
Stamina - 7 (He has the rich soul of Farore)

Link wins

eschemat

Smash Journeyman
Mario:
Intelligence - 3
Speed - 5
Projectiles - 4
Fighting Skills - 5
Stamina - 3

Link
Intelligence - 3
Speed - 2
Projectiles - 5
Fighting Skills - 5
Stamina -4

Even though it's close, Mario is significantly faster than Link and can easily out maneuver him. Mario will be jumping all over the place and Link can't do anything.

I vote x4 to Mr. Kickass AKA Marth.

finalark

SNORLAX
Mario
Intelligence: 3 (He's done enough studying to become a Doctor)
Speed: 2 (He's a good runner, but I feel like he would be outran by anyone in the 5% like Olympic runners)
Projectile: 3 (He throws fireballs, weak and unimpressive fireballs but they're still fireballs)
Fighting Skills: 3 (He clearly knows what he's doing and knows enough about it to become a boxing ref, I think he could easily hold his own in a boxing ring)
Stamina: 4 (this guy can go forever)

Link:
Intelligence: 3 (He solves puzzles often, but these puzzles aren't particularly mind bending)
Speed: 2 (All of his equipment weigh him down)
Projectile: 3 (He's pretty handy with a bow)
Fighting Skills: 5 (He knows how to fight at multiple ranges and can take down anything from another swordsman to massive beasts)
Stamina: 5 (the fact that he manages to be fairly agile while carrying so many items shows that this guy can endure)

I give the win to Link. He has numerous weapons at his disposal to deal with whatever situation might arise in addition to being armed with a sword a shield which gives him the edge over Mario.

Kantrip

Kantplay
So, this is pretty much Deadliest Warrior: Video Game Mode? Sounds cool.

Mario:
Intelligence - 4
Speed - 5
Projectiles - 5
Fighting Skills - 3
Stamina - 2

Link
Intelligence - 3
Speed - 2
Projectiles - 5
Fighting Skills - 5
Stamina - 4

Mario just barely takes the win on this one. Link's plethora of weapons and tools help him in battle immensely, but Mario's speed and awesome items (fire, ice flowers; propeller caps, etc.) give him the slight edge on Link's combat.

Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
K. Rool
K. Rool

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
He had like a 600 page thread that was like an expanded version of this. We had pretty intense debates about it.
Well I didn't know, and if that offends you I'm sorry. I'm not trying to take your baby in any sense. But so long as people are willing to play, I'm going to keep at it.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
In the end, Mario Won with four votes, to three. Link's superior fighting skills and projectiles were useless considering how incredibly slow he was. With a tip of the hat, Mario left the Preliminary stadium, and moved on to the second rounds.

PR02 is between Samus Aran of Metroid, and Zero from the Megaman series (Note: Sephiroth will not be returning, sorry xP)

Note: I will be updating the FAQ's with info on the Amount of characters per franchise, Dous, and Pokemon trainers. Take a look.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I don't think Sephiroth has ever been on a Nintendo console. He wasn't in any of the handheld KHs as far as I know.
. . . I think you're right. . . Sorry guys! I'll do more research and make sure. lol. Megafail.

I'll edit it real quick!

Samus
Projectile: 5
Stamina: 5

Zero
Speed: 5
Projectile: 4
Fighting Skills: 4

With these two, it really comes down to who can stay standing the longest, and Samus's armor can take much more powerful beam/bomb/lazers than Zero's body. They both have a hefty bag of tricks. Zero has many kinds of weapons, however Samus is quite frankly a mix-up master. Her various suits and the fact that she has major ninja skills as Zero suit really give Zero a run for his money. He may be smart, but even for him it would be hard to keep up with what suit/weapon does what. For me, the winner is Samus.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
After an extensive battle, Samus emerged the victor. As she brushed off the dust on her power suit, she left the stadium and headed for the Secound Rounds. Who she faced, was a mystery, but she couldn't halp but wonder what type of enemy she would face next.

Samus won, because I was the only one who voted that round. -.- sorry Zero. Anyways, I hope this round gets more votes, or this tournament doesn't look like it has a bright future ahead of hit. :p

Don't forget to vote everyone!

eschemat

Smash Journeyman
Chun-Li
Intelligence - 4
Speed - 5
Projectiles - 1
Fighting Skills - 6
Stamina - 4

Ivy
Intelligence - 5
Speed - 3
Projectiles - 5 (her whip acts like a projectile)
Fighting Skills - 5
Stamina - 5

While Ivy has the better numbers, I don't that numbers are exactly all that needs to be looked at in this matchup. Chun-Li has good speed, but more importantly, overwhelming combat skills and is a master of close-combat, and usually is able to get into close-combat at all times. However, the whip is amazingly strong and can tear down all of Chun-Li's approaches. For that reason, I reluctantly say Ivy wins because her whip shuts down Chun-Li.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
@eschemet don't forget to vote on who you want to see in tomorrow's battle!

You have four votes, they can all be used on one character, or four seperate ones.

Chun Li
Intelligence - 4
Speed - 5
Projectiles - 3
Fighting Skills - 5
Stamina - 4

Ivy
Intelligence - 4
Speed - 3
Projectiles - 4
Fighting Skills - 4
Stamina - 4

What this battle really comes down to for me is if Chun Li can get close enough to disarm Ivy. Ivy is a master with her whip/sword and can even pierce the ground for a sneak attack. So long as she keeps Chun Li far enough away, she can't be damaged. Unfortunetly, Chun Li is master at martial arts, and if she managed to dodge two or three of Ivy's sword swings, she would be able to disarm and destroy. For this reason I must vote in Chun Li's favor. Although it would be a very close match.

My votes are:
Geno x1
Zelda/Sheik x2
Mewtwo x1

JOE!

Smash Hero
Problem with this method is that youre going with arbitrary stats instead of looking at the characters themselves:

Did you consider zero's movement and weapon options and how they could work vs Samus' abilities at all?

Also, deadliest brawler: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=237756

went on for 1245 pages before inevitably dying due to a bunch of stuff

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Did you consider zero's movement and weapon options and how they could work vs Samus' abilities at all?
I was the only one who voted on Samus v Zero. . . and I'm not that savy when it comes to knowledge on either of those characters/series, so no.

But, on Mario vs. Link and Chun Li vs. Ivy I did go off movement, techniques, ect. Things that weren't based soley on stats.

But I'm always open to suggestions. How would you suggest I go about doing this? I would like to keep the Tournament style, the stats for funsies, and the voting on who battles who. Other than that, I'm up for suggestions/ideas.

And I know what deadliest Brawler is, I've seen it a few times. I recall an Ivy vs. C. Viper match.

After the femme fatale match of the century, we found out that the Sword is, in-fact mightier than the fist. Ivy lashed her whip back into place. She wiped the blood from her face and shook the sweat out of her hair. She walked away from the Preliminary stadium with a devilish smirk.

The next constestants entered the newly furnished stadium. The bruised walls scuffed tiles and sliced pillars were replaced with clean copies. On the left side a seemingly young boy walked in, dressed in blue. It was the blaster-ready robot Megaman. On the right a a flying creature smashed through the gates. The space pirtate Ridley spread his wings and let out out a loud screech that signaled the start of the fight.

You guys voted, and Ridley and Megaman were the top voted characters! So, let the games begin! :)

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Mega Man
Intelligence - 5
Speed - 4
Projectiles - 6
Fighting Skills - 6
Stamina - 5

Ridley
Intelligence - 5
Speed - 5
Projectiles - 4
Fighting Skills - 4
Stamina - 6

They're both about even, although Ridley is faster because he can fly and has a bit more stamina because he's bigger (and never seems to die... or at least stay dead), but Mega Man just out-ranges Ridley with his numerous powerful long-distance attacks and his incredible fighting skills (much of both is due to his ability to steal powers from beaten foes). On top of that, Mega Man is used to fighting dragons, albeit robot dragons.

So Mega Man wins

Nominate:
Geno (x4)

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Oh yeah, mention two of the most popular potential newcomers, that'll work.

RIDLEY:
Intelligence: 3
Projectiles: 4
Fighting skills: 5
Stamina: 5 - Had to resort to using power bombs FFFF.

MEGA MAN
Intelligence: 2
Projectiles: 6
Fighting skills: 5

Like you didn't this out come coming from me.

EDIT: Oh you. OF COURSE I'M GOING TO SAY RIDLEY WINS~ Aaaand, I guess I'll spread my votes out for Sukapon, Takamaru, Masked Man (Claus), and Black Knight.

D

Deleted member

Mega Man:
Intelligence: 5
Projectiles: 5

Ridley:
Intelligence: 5
Stamina: 6

Both Mega Man and Ridley are highly intelligent, given Mega Man's vast knowledge of Robot Master and Ridley being able to command the Space Pirates, so it even outs. Their fighting skills are also equal, given Mega Man's long history of fighting robots after robots with no end and Ridley for the same reason I said before. The rest is where things get different. Mega Man obviously has the upper hand with projectiles. Ridley is good with it, but not absolutely brilliant like Mega Man. However, Mega Man has two things that would likely get him killed in a fight. One is that Ridley's stamina is nearly god-like. The fact that he has managed to survive so many defeats in the hand of Samus and return for more shows how persistent Ridley truly is. If Mega Man suffered even one of those defeat, he would likely be done for. Finally, Ridley has great speed whereas Mega Man has the speed of an average person and an Olympic champion could easily beat him out.

As much as I love Mega Man, Ridley would likely win in a fight between them.

I vote for Sonic, Pikachu, Kirby, and Ryu (Street Fighter).

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Ridley:
Projectiles: 4
Stamina: 5

Mega Man:

Intelligence: 4
Projectiles: 5
Fighting Skills: 3
Stamina: 3

Ridley no contest. Faster, stronger, built to last longer.

JOE!

Smash Hero
SSBF: That means they are nowhere near level with intel:

Ridley commands an entire armada of prirates and has probably faced countless varieties of foes, including friggen Samus.

Mega Man was faced an old guy and a bunch of robots with only 1 or 2 means of attack.

Which has the better exp here? Ridley has probably gone against stuff like MegaMan before, whereas MegaMan hasnt gone against someone as intelligent + physically advanced as Ridley

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
As smoke settled, the crowd looked on in awe, a valiant hero had fallen right before their eyes. The tattered metal carcass that once was Mega man was strewn across the stadium by Ridley's sheer strength. As Ridley darted into the sky, he flew with the knowledge that a similar beast also made it to the second round of the tournament; she was the space pirates one true reason for entering the Nintendo tournament.

Welp, Ridley won with by a landslide votes wise, so prepare to see him join the ranks of the 16 characters that make it to round two.

A lone man stood in the preliminary stadium. He gently unsheathed his sword as he saw a movement in the sky. Falling from the stars was our second contestant. As Marth squared off and sized up his opponent, Geno checked his removable fists for damage, and then quickly jumped into an action pose.

The following match is between Geno of Super Mario RPG and Marth of the Fire Emblem series. Have at it everyone, and don’t forget to vote!

Sorry for the late update by the way.

Top Bottom